We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I know what it is.... Its a Linn Tundra. Lol
Nice to see some of my favourite people here from that place.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

My take on this is - "speculation is interesting, but normally people read too much into everything".
We'll just have to wait and see.

Regardless, Linn is making a huge mistake to put the forum on standby and worse, blaming "temporarily offline for essential maintenance".
It's all about musical understanding!
Andrew L

Post by Andrew L »

Charlie1 wrote:I didn't know they'd stopped selling dynamik PSUs or repairing KKs. Obviously the forum is not working for me as a way to inform customers. If correct, then that is very poor indeed. If you're someone that purchases Hifi every 10-15 years then that's pretty rubbish and not befitting of an £8k investment :(
The end of support for the KK would be bad news for me too, not sure on this one.
Very heavy handed reaction to close down the forum, speculation is one thing but without any official confirmation it remains just harmless chatter. I think this action will alienate many forum members, I couldn't see it happening elsewhere without naiming anyone.
Andrew L
cortina

Post by cortina »

How big is this Dutch hi-fi show anyway? If the new product(s) is really so fantastic I assume it is one of the biggest in Europe?
Otherwise, it feels like Linn had to go for quick return on investment (financial pressure?) not waiting for a BIG event.
OR, perhaps Linn just picks a ”smaller” one not to become invisible among bigger players..?

Besides this, end of life re service for more and more of recent products is really stopping me from considering more or less any newer Linn gear.
Music at Home

Post by Music at Home »

It's back! .... AND GUESS WHAT ???

no, sorry, my mistake. As you were.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

As far as I know Linn are still repairing the KK and the only Dynamik upgrades I am aware of being discontinued are for the Klimax Solo and Twin. On the other hand the EOL of service on all disc spinners is certainly disconcerting.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Charlie1 wrote:I didn't know they'd stopped selling dynamik PSUs or repairing KKs. Obviously the forum is not working for me as a way to inform customers. If correct, then that is very poor indeed. If you're someone that purchases Hifi every 10-15 years then that's pretty rubbish and not befitting of an £8k investment :(
Indeed, I have a pair of 2250 amps and was working hard to afford the Dynamik upgrade for both which was apparently a stunning upgrade.

Placed the order with a dealer only to be told that the Dynamik wasn’t available. Discontinued without warning and even the dealer wasn’t aware of that.

I appreciate that products have to evolve but a proper EOL notice would allow people to make considered choices.
Turnip

Post by Turnip »

50p says they are entering a strategic alliance or just selling up. They are a teeny company who may find it difficult to stay independent.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Steven wrote:
Indeed, I have a pair of 2250 amps and was working hard to afford the Dynamik upgrade for both which was apparently a stunning upgrade.

Placed the order with a dealer only to be told that the Dynamik wasn’t available. Discontinued without warning and even the dealer wasn’t aware of that.

I appreciate that products have to evolve but a proper EOL notice would allow people to make considered choices.
I suspect your dealer is mistaken, as the “Standard Dynamik Power Supply” which “Excludes Klimax Solo, Twin and loudspeakers” is in the July 2018 Price List at £510. Personally, I would check with the Linn Helpline or another dealer.

‘troll
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Turnip wrote:50p says they are entering a strategic alliance or just selling up. They are a teeny company who may find it difficult to stay independent.
I have a vague memory of Ivor being made an offer by Sony in the early 90s, a figure of £25 million being suggested. He, obviously, politely refused.

‘troll
Andrew L

Post by Andrew L »

The suspension of Linn's forum has struck home that in the end it is the manufacturer's forum and users are their mere playthings. The Lord giveth...
This move leaves a very sour taste for their loyal band of followers and I don't think things will be quite the same thereafter.
Maybe they are up for grabs Naim style, they are so far removed from the original company it wouldn't surprise me.
Andrew L
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

I found the Linn forum very useful when I started streaming back in 2010 because I had no idea what to do. But now the system works well and I find myself checking out the forum less and less often. In fact, my main source of Linn news is their Facebook page - and on top of that the forum recently seems to have developed into a personal chat room between a few enthusiastic Linnies.
I don’t think you can blame Linn for any of that...
cortina

Post by cortina »

Gussy wrote:I found the Linn forum very useful when I started streaming back in 2010 because I had no idea what to do. But now the system works well and I find myself checking out the forum less and less often. In fact, my main source of Linn news is their Facebook page - and on top of that the forum recently seems to have developed into a personal chat room between a few enthusiastic Linnies.
Personally I really think Linn is to blame for how the forum turned out. By lack of moderation of off-topic posts that are silly attempts of some kind of humour; and some Linn emplyees playing along from time to time, it quickly became uninteresting.
And rarely do you find such sect like loyalty with close to zero critical thinking. I often find myself thinking that some of the posters actually must be from the (flushing) Linn marketing staff. As far from critical consumers you can be..

So if they would decide not to re-open the forum section I would not miss it too much really given the direction it went. Something better may likely replace it.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

@ cortina,
yes, I agree with that, the forum could/should have been moderated better. Many threads quickly became polluted with humourless drivel.
Briain

Post by Briain »

Hi

The Dynamik kit for the 2250 and 5125 ended a few months ago. It's a great shame and I guess the sales of them had dropped to such a level that it didn't justify building another batch, but it's a shame they couldn't make another small batch, just to cover the few folks who might still want one (that said, I'm surprised that they've been available for this long and when posting about them, I've often commented that folks shouldn't expect them to be about forever).

The other products that vanished highlight an issue with the entire consumer electronics industry; obsoleted components. For example, my Sizmik contains a regulator that was discontinued a few years ago, so if that fails, I'll have to either find one from another scrap device, or the only other solution would be to design something that can provide similar functionality. The more recent subs don't use that regulator, but the ASIC that does the roll off settings and level settings is also obsolete (which I suspect is why the entire sub range was suddenly dropped a few years ago).

My understanding is that this isn't the first time Linn have been caught out by a component being obsoleted. I remember hearing a story back in the 90s about a production device (perhaps it was the Kremlin; I really can't remember) suddenly ending due to the unavailability of a device it used. Of course, this is a problem for all manufacturers who use anything other than 'basic' components (C's, R's semiconductors, op amps, etc).

Back on the forum issue and if it has been taken down for commercial reasons (as opposed to technical ones), then I would second David Neel's comments about the feet shooting activities. Given that people could speculate anywhere else (and Google can so easily find such things) it seems rather pointless, at best (and that is me being very, very diplomatic).

Bri ;)

PS I know some threads get polluted with humour (guilty; done a few myself) but fortunately, in many cases, it happens after an answer to the OP has been provided. Some folks have told me they've been trying to inject some humour to stimulate the forum when it tends towards being so tedious that there's a danger that nobody (other than Exakt owners, perhaps) will even bother to continue visiting it (it's come very close to that a few times for me, in recent years) but perhaps new products - depending on what they are, of course - will stimulate some new technically interesting discussions.
Last edited by Briain on 2018-09-15 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

I wasn’t aware of those Dynamiks being dropped, Bri. Bizarre. Given that Linn have the ability to build to order, I’m also surprised that they can no longer be ordered.

I also agree with you about locking down the forum; seems pointless.

‘troll
Briain

Post by Briain »

Moomintroll wrote:I wasn’t aware of those Dynamiks being dropped, Bri. Bizarre. Given that Linn have the ability to build to order, I’m also surprised that they can no longer be ordered.

I also agree with you about locking down the forum; seems pointless.

‘troll
I only found out about it when someone that I know attempted to order one a few months ago (and he was knocked back). I think it's a very unfortunate decision as I would doubt that there's anything 'unobtanium' used on the board (one assumes the circuit design will be broadly similar to that of the 2200's PSU*) and you'd think there would be enough margin to justify making another small batch of them, just to keep the 'stragglers' happy. Actually, it's just about possible that I could use another one; I'm about to try and make one working 2250 out of two total and utter 'basket case' 2250 boards (not exaggerating; I might even struggle to get enough functional components from the 2 boards) but sadly, I only have 2 pre-Dynamik PSU in stock (and one of them is in a very sorry state).

Bri

* Edit: I've just realised that it is plausible (though unlikely, I'd have thought) that the 2250 DC Voltage requirements are slightly different to that of the 2200, so if that is the case, Linn would have to order a new batch of 2250/5125 suitable SMPS transformers (so the minimum order quantity might make that impracticable).
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

And I was planning to upgrade my 2250 and 5125 to Dynamiks... One more reason to get rid of my Linn gear and move to something else.
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Whilst all the stuff about Dynamik power supply upgrades is not exactly ideal, there are very few companies out there who offer anywhere near the level of support that Linn provide. They certainly should offer better visibility of when upgrades will stop being available - it can't be too hard these days to provide a visible stock availability on their website (although if it really takes 2 weeks to maintain a forum, perhaps that would be a challenge).

The AV5125 (and 2250?) has not been available to buy new since approx 2007 when the Chakra amps were launched, that's a 10 year period of support. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, and certainly not a reason to abandon the brand. Remember all the upgrades they've made available since 2007 for the DS products? Including all the free software improvements? The fact that PSUs can be upgraded at all is a significant advantage of their approach, compared to hundreds of other audio companies.

I think the likes of Naim are the exception (I don't think even Quad support their older stuff now), but I somehow suspect that even Naim's latest products, such as the Uniti stuff, will not see the level of support offered to the older gear.
Last edited by sunbeamgls on 2018-09-15 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

cortina wrote:
Gussy wrote:I found the Linn forum very useful when I started streaming back in 2010 because I had no idea what to do. But now the system works well and I find myself checking out the forum less and less often. In fact, my main source of Linn news is their Facebook page - and on top of that the forum recently seems to have developed into a personal chat room between a few enthusiastic Linnies.
Personally I really think Linn is to blame for how the forum turned out. By lack of moderation of off-topic posts that are silly attempts of some kind of humour; and some Linn emplyees playing along from time to time, it quickly became uninteresting.
And rarely do you find such sect like loyalty with close to zero critical thinking. I often find myself thinking that some of the posters actually must be from the (flushing) Linn marketing staff. As far from critical consumers you can be..

So if they would decide not to re-open the forum section I would not miss it too much really given the direction it went. Something better may likely replace it.
I agree.

I’m really not sure what the purpose of the forum is these days, and if it were to close I don’t think it would be

missed by many people. I’ve always felt that Linn deliberately took a light approach to moderating so that they

could get a better understanding of their customers needs. Unfortunately, as time has gone by, the forum has

been dominated by a none representative ‘cult’ which do not appear to share Linns core values with respect to

component evaluation and system setup. It really feels as though the lunatics have taken over the asylum and

I’m sure that this can’t be good for Linn or their customers.

However, I have to say that the Linn staff contributions to the forum have been absolutely brilliant.
fredrik

Post by fredrik »

Regarding Dynamik for 2250/5125. I think if Linn resellers got together with Linn they could investigate what it takes for another Dynamik batch. Just like there was a batch of Solos dynamikiked after the initial offer expired.
But Solos are current in produduction units so electronics will not run out.

Regarding Linn forum down. I agree with an Earlier poster that the decision must be something more than a new majik++ electronic range, maybe something they are not completely "owning" themselves. I believe Gilad himself must have found it critical to gag the "press" for a few days.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote:As far as I know Linn are still repairing the KK
Thanks for confirming - that's a relief!
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:As far as I know Linn are still repairing the KK
Thanks for confirming - that's a relief!
That is a good thing for sure! Can the first generation Akurate Kontrol still be upgraded with the Dynamik power supply and serviced if needed?
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

As far as I know the Akurate Kontrol can still be upgraded, but then again I can't find anywhere Linn told us about the non-availability of the 2250/5125 Dynamik. The Dynamik used for the Akurate Kontrol is a different board so I would think it should still be OK.

Why don't you ask on the Linn forum? :-D
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Briain

Post by Briain »

Spannko wrote:
cortina wrote:

I agree.

I’m really not sure what the purpose of the forum is these days, and if it were to close I don’t think it would be

missed by many people. I’ve always felt that Linn deliberately took a light approach to moderating so that they

could get a better understanding of their customers needs. Unfortunately, as time has gone by, the forum has

been dominated by a none representative ‘cult’ which do not appear to share Linns core values with respect to

component evaluation and system setup. It really feels as though the lunatics have taken over the asylum and

I’m sure that this can’t be good for Linn or their customers.

However, I have to say that the Linn staff contributions to the forum have been absolutely brilliant.
Yes, but one also has to consider the glass half full vs the glass half empty concept when judging the quality of the community contributions (and that applies to assessing any forum; here, the Qnap forum and Sophos ones being other examples of the community helping people as best they can). When the Linn forum was first started, most DS customers (and indeed, many DS dealers) had absolutely no experience with networks (understatement of the century) and back then, it was mostly the forum community contributors who helped new customers - typically ones who'd bought a discounted mail-order Sneaky DS - to get it all up and running (not to mention SuperPoussin; a very technically talented and helpful French add-on builder from the Netgear community forum; he made it possible to install Twonky without the risk of it totally trashing your ReadyNAS) so these communities were actually quite vital, back in the day, and I would strongly argue that they still are:

Moving forward a decade and with new systems, the above issues have largely been resolved - dealers now know all about networks and NASs - but there's still a vibrant second hand market (as in stuff procured from well known e-auction sites) where to this day, non-technical people buy DS type products and without any dealers to help them, they sometimes then pop up on a forum and require significant help getting it all to make any noises, whatsoever. Okay, I'd totally agree that there's sometimes a lot of silliness (and occasionally some of it is rather cringe-worthy) on the Linn forum, just as there is on any other forum (in fact, I'd say that places like the Lejonklou forum and Linn forum are remarkably gentlemanly; many, many orders of magnitude more gentlemanly than you'd almost anywhere else on the www, in fact) but if you take a step back and re-look at these posts, pretty much everybody who does post a question typically gets a helpful responses (often they get several responses, some being from technically astute people who are donating significant quantiles of their own time, just because they want to help others who share a common interest in life) with ideas on how to at least best diagnose their issues, and sometimes to even completely resolve them in one hit (and once done, some threads then degenerate into silliness, but to be honest, once the issues have been resolved, I really don't have any major problems with that happening).

Yes, it is great when Linn Design staff do contribute with technical information - and often it can indeed be extremely educational, too - but one really must reflect upon all of the 'donkey work' provided by all these enthusiastic community contributors (which counts for the vast majority of '1st line' solutions, I'd wager) and thus consider that the baby should not be discarded with the bath water, as they say. Another point worth pondering is how much money these community contributions must have saved Linn Products, over the years; without them, they'd likely need to entirely fill that lovely big 1st floor ballroom with help-desk staff (and then fit a very powerful extractor fan, too)!

All the best
Bri ;)
Last edited by Briain on 2018-09-15 23:26, edited 1 time in total.