Headphone amp?

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Headphone amp?

Post by Matteo »

Besides a streamer, it could be interesting a Lejonklou headphone amp in a Slipsik case or a Slipsik with an headphone out ...
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Headphone amp?

Post by lejonklou »

Matteo wrote:Besides a streamer, it could be interesting a Lejonklou headphone amp in a Slipsik case or a Slipsik with an headphone out ...
Yes, you're right.

In fact I already have two designs ready. One made several years ago, the second one expensive and probably much better - but I haven't yet built it so I don't know for sure.

My problem is lack of time. I can only manage one major project at a time. I need help! I have a trainee, but he's not yet skilled in drawing circuit boards, soldering prototypes or tuning circuits. I need someone with a decent understanding of electronics, who's a quick learner and most importantly understands the purpose of our work: Giving people a thrill when they listen to music with our gear. He or she doesn't have to live in Uppsala or even Sweden.

Anyone who's interested should send me an email now!
teatime

Post by teatime »

Matteo wrote:Besides a streamer, it could be interesting a Lejonklou headphone amp in a Slipsik case or a Slipsik with an headphone out ...
+1
Not to derail the thread, but I too would be interested in hearing a Lejonklou headphone amp!
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Yes indeed!
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

I'm sorry Fredrik, I have a degree in Business Economics ... I can't help you.

Just another idea: a Kikkin with an headphones out (or maybe two outs ...).

M.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Matteo wrote:I'm sorry Fredrik, I have a degree in Business Economics ... I can't help you.

Just another idea: a Kikkin with an headphones out (or maybe two outs ...).

M.
I'm certain Business Economics would help me as well! :D It's a little less urgent, though.

What do you mean is the difference between a headphone amp and a Kikkin with headphone out? To me, they are the same thing.

Maybe you mean that the latter has line outputs and works like a preamp as well as a headphone amp? That is possible to do, but I have so far found that the line out does not become 100% satisfactory. But maybe there's a way that I haven't found yet.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

lejonklou wrote: Maybe you mean that the latter has line outputs and works like a preamp as well as a headphone amp? That is possible to do, but I have so far found that the line out does not become 100% satisfactory. But maybe there's a way that I haven't found yet.
Yes, I meant that.

Is it also possible that a second headphones out affects the sound?

M.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Matteo wrote:
lejonklou wrote: Maybe you mean that the latter has line outputs and works like a preamp as well as a headphone amp? That is possible to do, but I have so far found that the line out does not become 100% satisfactory. But maybe there's a way that I haven't found yet.
Yes, I meant that.

Is it also possible that a second headphones out affects the sound?

M.
That I don't know. I think the best is to have a strong enough output stage and the two outputs connected in parallel.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

In the past I owned the following headphones amplifiers (ad also a lot of headphones, of course), from budget to very expensive:

- EAR HP4
- Naim Headline / NAPSC
- Graham Slee Solo Ultralinear
- Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear
- Grado HPA-2
- Melos SHA-1

Curiously, last year I found that the best VfM amplfier is the German professional Lake People G109P (€ 465), combined with closed studio / dj headphones (quite cheap and generally with low impedance):

http://www.lake-people.de/index.php/pro ... 109-S.html

https://www.thomann.de/it/lake_people_g ... oneamp.htm

Just another idea for Fredridk.

Regards

M.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Matteo wrote:In the past I owned the following headphones amplifiers (ad also a lot of headphones, of course), from budget to very expensive:

- EAR HP4
- Naim Headline / NAPSC
- Graham Slee Solo Ultralinear
- Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear
- Grado HPA-2
- Melos SHA-1

Curiously, last year I found that the best VfM amplfier is the German professional Lake People G109P (€ 465), combined with closed studio / dj headphones (quite cheap and generally with low impedance):

http://www.lake-people.de/index.php/pro ... 109-S.html

https://www.thomann.de/it/lake_people_g ... oneamp.htm
Thanks Matteo!
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

With PC and Spotify I also enjoy a lot this portable DAC/headphones amp (100 £):

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/p ... acmagic-xs

More on budget, you con also try this (90 £):

https://www.whathifi.com/audioquest/dra ... v15/review

M.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

As for headphones, in the past I owned (and sold) the following (some of which were over 1,000 € ...):

Beyerdynamic T1 (1st gen.)
Grado HP2 JGSUWBRC
Rudistor Chroma MD2
Ultrasone Signature DJ
Hifiman HE-500
AKG K340 vintage heavy bass
Grado RS1
Grado RS1i APS V3
Alessandro MS2
Beyerdynamic DT 880
Sennheiser HD 600
Ultrasone HFI780
Sennheiser HD 800.

Current headphones owned are (with indicative price):

AKG K92 (50 €)
Pioneer HDJ-2000 MK2-K (330 €)
Sennheiser HD 202 II (25 €)
AKG K550 MKII (160 €)
Shure SRH840 (170 €)
Audiotecnica ATH-M50X (€ 150)
KRK KNS 8400 (€ 140)
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm) (€ 140)

Surprisingly, the AKG K92 (50 €) is certainly the best among the others, an incredible bargain and a steal at this price. Poor construction, ugly aspect, no case, no detachable cable, no accessories but ... it sounds best!

https://www.whathifi.com/akg/k92/review

M.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Where can I find the circuit diagram of the headphone section of Linn Majik DS-i?

I am curious why there's an output impedance of 11 Ω according to the tech specs. Most hobby built amps aim for less than 0.5 Ω and most commercial amps too, like Grado and Chord.

However... there's also the weird commercial outliers, like one (well reviewed) Beyer headphone amp with 100 Ω output impedance. If I remember my lessons correctly from ages ago that might cause problems with phase, among other things.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

A resistor in series with the output increases stability and therefore "as low as possible" is rarely a good strategy.

Which exact resistance sounds optimal depends on the design.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

OK thank you! I will read up on stability.

I still didn't find a diagram for Majik DS-i but today I found a diagram from '94 for Majik-I. I will suppose that it is similar in construction to the Wakonda preamp. It is based on TLE2064 OP-amps in a simple circuit.

I remember that years ago the headphone out of the (now sold) Wakonda was noticably better than that of Majik DS-i.
teatime

Post by teatime »

Bump! I'm completely ready for a Lejonklou headphone amp! :)

[I hope this isn't too OT, but it relates directly to other equipment mentioned in this thread.]

I've just spent a few days listening through a Violectric HPA V100 headphone amp, which according to manufacturer is essentially identical to the Lake People G109 recommended above. I will be returning it.

It's not a bad amp at all. It's certainly possible to enjoy music on it - I was listening to it for 5 h straight the other night (see the Tinker Board thread). It's built like a tank, as the saying goes. It looks sorta cool. It can play loud and clean and resolves well... but compared to my annoying(*) Grado RA-1 amp, it mostly makes a mess of the music. Sometimes astonishingly so - for instance a drum intro where I don't understand what the drummer is up to on the Violectric, isn't the least bit hard to get with the Grado.

(*)So why am I not happy with the Grado? Well, I am, it's just annoying:
1. It's driven by batteries! And I keep forgetting to switch it off, since I never do that to any other hifi equipment.
2. When you turn it off or on, it usually rewards your eardrums with a *** BANG ***, should you be stupid enough to wear your headphones.
3. The usable volume arc is about 30 degrees. The distance between loud enough and too loud is much less.

From where I'm sitting, an amp with just a bit of the usual Lejonklou magic would clean up!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you teatime!

This is something to think about for sure.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

teatime wrote: 2019-07-14 21:15
I've just spent a few days listening through a Violectric HPA V100 headphone amp, which according to manufacturer is essentially identical to the Lake People G109 recommended above. I will be returning it.
I recommended the G109 with easy closed headphones and agree: a Grado with the G109 is not a good match.

M.
teatime

Post by teatime »

Matteo wrote: 2019-07-15 10:49 I recommended the G109 with easy closed headphones and agree: a Grado with the G109 is not a good match.
Hmm.. I don't seem to have written what headphones I used, but you are correct, it was pair of Grados - SR325e.

I did test it with a pair of AKG K550 too, which are closed and easily driven. My impression was largely the same. The Violectric "sounds" better, but it's easier to understand the music with the RA-1.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

New idea:

Slipsik 7 + Boazu pre + headphone amp combined in a Boazu case,
with further 1/2 rca inputs and a pre out.

Price around 2,500 €

M.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

You don't ask for much, do you? It's a nice dream but a $1795 Slipsik 7, a quality headphone amp and an expanded $3999 Boazu (more inputs and pre out) all for less than the current Boazu? I assume you also don't want to give up any sound quality. I wouldn't be holding my breath if I were you. ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Matteo, I really like the idea!

The only problem is that it would sound much worse than the current Boazu, a Slipsik 7 and a headphone amp (yes, I admit I'm working on one, but I have no idea if it will become good enough to become a product). Been there and tried it! First prototype Boazu had most of what you asked for, but it sounded b-o-r-i-n-g in comparison with the current one. Zero features is the secret behind why Boazu is so good!

The cost is a whole different matter, but yeah, Thomas is right: It would cost a lot more.

I still like the idea. So I'll keep it as something to aim for, although I might not get there.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

ThomasOK wrote: 2019-10-09 20:23 You don't ask for much, do you? It's a nice dream but a $1795 Slipsik 7, a quality headphone amp and an expanded $3999 Boazu (more inputs and pre out) all for less than the current Boazu? I assume you also don't want to give up any sound quality. I wouldn't be holding my breath if I were you. ;-)
Maybe I was misunderstood

I indented one case without power amp section and a couple of inputs

Boazu has 4 inputs

M
Last edited by Matteo on 2019-10-09 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-10-09 20:48 Matteo, I really like the idea!

The only problem is that it would sound much worse than the current Boazu, a Slipsik 7 and a headphone amp (yes, I admit I'm working on one, but I have no idea if it will become good enough to become a product). Been there and tried it! First prototype Boazu had most of what you asked for, but it sounded b-o-r-i-n-g in comparison with the current one. Zero features is the secret behind why Boazu is so good!

The cost is a whole different matter, but yeah, Thomas is right: It would cost a lot more.

I still like the idea. So I'll keep it as something to aim for, although I might not get there.
Hard challenge

Weren’t the Tundra and Sagatun?

M.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

With Tundra / Sagatun stereo Slipsik and an headphones amp (4 boxes and 3 silvers) you are over the 8,000 € territory

With the above idea and a Tundra stereo (2 boxes and just one Silver) you could stay below 6,000 €

With budget, environment and family restrictions, sacrificing the sound quality is not a sacrilege

M