Tundra 2.2 vs Linn C4200/D and KCT/D

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tundra 2.2 vs Linn C4200/D and KCT/D

Post by ThomasOK »

I certainly hope not. A million miles is definitely too far for the speakers to be positioned for the most musical perfromance!
Last edited by ThomasOK on 2017-12-01 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I thought my jokes were bad ;)
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

matthias wrote:
It is my impression that some of the newer Linn amps and speakers are tailored to play well in the middle of the volume range, but fall short in the high volume range.

I don't think it's tailored.
It's simply difficult to design amplifiers/speakers that are good on both low, medium and high volume.

Aha! I was wondering about this and thought there was a glitch in performance. My Majik back end does seem to struggle slightly over 60 and definitely loses some musicality. Thanks for reassurance!
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Discodave wrote: It's simply difficult to design amplifiers/speakers that are good on both low, medium and high volume.
Agree
It's all about musical understanding!
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Actually I didn't copy and paste properly, that wasn't me - can't take credit :)
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Lejonklou Tundra 2.2 vs Linn C4200/D and KCT/D

Post by matthias »

Music Lover wrote:
matthias wrote: It is my impression that some of the newer Linn amps and speakers are tailored to play well in the middle of the volume range, but fall short in the high volume range.
I don't think it's tailored.
It's simply difficult to design amplifiers/speakers that are good on both low, medium and high volume.
The original posts
Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Just rounding off this thread. I sense something has nudged up the engagement factor the past 2-3 weeks. Could this be final burn in on the Tundra? Work has been busier than ever and so I've not listened much, but when i do it is pressing all the right buttons :) It could be an exhilarating short LOUD blast of driving rock music or tugging at the heart strings during a slower number.

There's no satisfaction from the knowledge that I must tamper with it soon and replace my Akiva with a Krystal. Definitely the best my system has ever sounded. At the risk of coming across arrogant, I don't recall hearing any system as engaging, although I'm sure there are many out there even better.

It's a great time to be a Lejonklou/Linn owner. Thanks again to Tony for his advise and setting up the dem, and of course Fredrik for making such a good amp in the first place.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:Just rounding off this thread. I sense something has nudged up the engagement factor the past 2-3 weeks. Could this be final burn in on the Tundra? Work has been busier than ever and so I've not listened much, but when i do it is pressing all the right buttons :) It could be an exhilarating short LOUD blast of driving rock music or tugging at the heart strings during a slower number.

There's no satisfaction from the knowledge that I must tamper with it soon and replace my Akiva with a Krystal. Definitely the best my system has ever sounded. At the risk of coming across arrogant, I don't recall hearing any system as engaging, although I'm sure there are many out there even better.

It's a great time to be a Lejonklou/Linn owner. Thanks again to Tony for his advise and setting up the dem, and of course Fredrik for making such a good amp in the first place.
That is great to hear. Enjoy. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Charlie1 wrote:Just rounding off this thread. I sense something has nudged up the engagement factor the past 2-3 weeks. Could this be final burn in on the Tundra? Work has been busier than ever and so I've not listened much, but when i do it is pressing all the right buttons :) It could be an exhilarating short LOUD blast of driving rock music or tugging at the heart strings during a slower number.

Having a system which engages better than any other system heard is the pinnacle of our frustrating hobby. Well done - I bet you can’t take the smile off your face! :-)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Congratulations. I do hope that the Krystal doesn't raid too much from the Sagatun savings fund ;)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Spannko wrote:Having a system which engages better than any other system heard is the pinnacle of our frustrating hobby.
Thanks Spannko. Yeah, it's had it's ups and downs for sure :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote:That is great to hear. Enjoy. :-)
Thanks fella
tokenbrit wrote:Congratulations. I do hope that the Krystal doesn't raid too much from the Sagatun savings fund ;)
Cheers tokenbrit.

I'll be honest, I will struggle to let go of the KK1. Main reason is that it's not costing my anything. I don't think it's lost a penny since I bought it. I think it helps that it's black.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

How lovely!

Thank you for sharing and brightening my Saturday!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote:I'll be honest, I will struggle to let go of the KK1.
You should certainly be happy with Linn's best pre-, but under no circumstances should you listen to Sagatun Monos ;)

Enjoy the music :)
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Sagatun monos destroy a KK mate, yes their functionality is limited compared to the KK but if you just want the best analogue pre you can get that enhances your current setup it's the way to go. In my humble opinion of course. (I was always right about the tundra, hence my unbounded enthusiasm :) )
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Yes they do destroy a KK, but I wouldn’t agree that a KK has more functionality, apart from an XLR input.

Sagatuns have settable unity gain like the KK, plus they have the bypass higher quality input. I much prefer the colour LED volume control on the Sagatuns, and the two level mute.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I agree about the functionality. Sagatuns have five inputs, one of them the superior direct input, vs. four on the KK, both have two outputs, both are line only. The KK does have adjustable gain on each input, mono switch and balance. But I am happy to give those up for the improvement in sound. Plus, with Sagatun Monos you can do balance by manually changing the volume level on the servant unit. I also prefer the color LED display as it is much easier to tell where you are from across the room and I like the fade to black function.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Zee9

Re: Lejonklou Tundra 2.2 vs Linn C4200/D and KCT/D

Post by Zee9 »

Do these links still work?
Charlie1 wrote: 2017-10-04 13:24 2200/D: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ltmr3cmgu8tf ... 8.MOV?dl=0
Tundra 2.2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfzbm3pe017xt ... 7.MOV?dl=0

Bear in mind the Tundra is not run in yet and I've not re-tuned the speaker positions.

And I just think this one shows off what it can do compared to before:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n62bj13dttkbc ... 8.MOV?dl=0
LR: LP12/Selekt/Tundra 2.5/kabers+RelT7i
BR: WiiM/Tundra 2.2/Kan II
Studio: Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

No, sorry. I will try to dig them out from a backup tomorrow.
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

Any luck Charlie?
LR: LP12/Selekt/Tundra 2.5/kabers+RelT7i
BR: WiiM/Tundra 2.2/Kan II
Studio: Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I've just been looking and don't appear to have them which is a surprise. They were all scattered around a bit until recently and I expect they were lost in the process of consolidating. Beck sometimes downloads clips and may have a copy (IMG_2448.MOV and IMG_2477.MOV)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Sorry, I do not have them.
Playing cd’s…………