Tarandus

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

ChrBea

Tarandus

Post by ChrBea »

Tarandus? Did I miss something? Thought Boazu would be the next big thing. Or is it just a new name for the same product, whatever it is?
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tarandus

Post by ThomasOK »

Boazu IS the next big product from Lejonklou HiFi. Tarandus is...something else. But not a normal product. All will be revealed at the RMAF next Friday so you'll have to hold on until then. I have promised that the info on the Boazu will be put on the forum at that time and Tarandus will be revealed then as well. Fredrik does seem to like keeping people on edge. ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

Thanks for the info. Patience is not my biggest quality :D
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote:Boazu IS the next big product from Lejonklou HiFi. Tarandus is...something else. But not a normal product. All will be revealed at the RMAF next Friday so you'll have to hold on until then. I have promised that the info on the Boazu will be put on the forum at that time and Tarandus will be revealed then as well. Fredrik does seem to like keeping people on edge. ;-)
It's "next Friday". Boazu has been revealed on the RMAF website. So, what's the news on Tarandus, and any other announcements? It's almost lunchtime on the east coast - wakey, wakey Denver ;)
jlwdm

Post by jlwdm »

RMAF does not open to the public until noon today. I am hanging out at the airport reading a book. Will head into town in about an hour.

Jeff
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

jlwdm wrote:RMAF does not open to the public until noon today. I am hanging out at the airport reading a book. Will head into town in about an hour.

Jeff
Just gone 9am there? Less than 3 hrs to go... :)
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote:Boazu IS the next big product from Lejonklou HiFi. Tarandus is...something else.
Boazu is the snake and Tarandus is...the spider.
So there you have it :)

Ugh, Music Lover has spoken.
It's all about musical understanding!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

OK guys. Tarandus is a group of moderate priced upgrades for the Sagatuns and Tundras based on discoveries made in the design of the Boazu (hence the name-the second half of the scientific name for reindeer, Rangifer tarandus). These mainly consist of power supply improvements and other small changes.

The first out will be for the Sagatun Monos and should be available by the end of October. The Sagatun stereo will follow and then the Tundra amps. Hopefully they should all be out before the end of the year. More news in the actual announcement.
The LP12 Whisperer
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Interesting. I have a Tundra 1.2 and was musing about the idea of upgrading it to a 2.0 or perhaps replacing it with a Boazu. The thought that there may be upgrades available is very interesting....
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

OK, first day of RMAF is over. We had a constant stream of people visiting from 11.30 to 7 pm and lots of surprised and very positive comments. I was mainly demonstrating the new integrated Boazu versus Sagatun Mono+Tundra Mono and a common comment was that yes, sure, that Mono combination was better, but how much did you say that integrated was? Less than a fourth?!?

So the Tarandus upgrades are not just exciting, they are also necessary to make the separates stay well ahead of Boazu. You could say that that integrated has raised the performance of my whole range of amplifiers.

As Thomas said, all of the Tarandus upgrades are planned to be released this year and first out is Sagatun Mono, which I will start doing at the end of next week. Then I will have each of the others thoroughly tuned and tested before they're released. I'll share the details of each in separate threads.

Now I need some sleep. Nine hours straight of demonstrations tomorrow; from 9 am to 6 pm. Cheers everyone!
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Exciting news, and great to hear how well RMAF is going. Have you considered doing a Mono Boazu?
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Oh boy, a mono Boazu! Then people would know we're crazy. But the marketing could be fun-we could call it the disintegrated integrated amp. ;-)

(I do understand the concept: combining the advantages of direct coupling the preamp and amp stages with the advantage of complete separation of the two channels and twice as many power supplies. But that kind of kills the fewer boxes concept so who would be the target customer? Plus I have to wonder if that is the better way to separate duties than the preamp/power amp combo?)
The LP12 Whisperer
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

A Mono Boazu may sound crazy, but I'll certainly try it. If they turn out to be better than Sagatun and Tundra with the Tarandus upgrades, I'll start making them.

It basically boils down to whether a tighter integration between pre and power is more important than isolating the preamp from the power amp. My guess is that separate pre and power is going to win.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: My guess is that separate pre and power is going to win.
Yes, the source first principle favors the device with the better preamp.

Matt
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

ThomasOK wrote:Oh boy, a mono Boazu! Then people would know we're crazy. But the marketing could be fun-we could call it the disintegrated integrated amp. ;-)

(I do understand the concept: combining the advantages of direct coupling the preamp and amp stages with the advantage of complete separation of the two channels and twice as many power supplies. But that kind of kills the fewer boxes concept so who would be the target customer? Plus I have to wonder if that is the better way to separate duties than the preamp/power amp combo?)
It depends how close it is to the 4 box full mono setup (seems unlikely but you never know with Fredrik!)
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Here is the text on the Tarandus upgrades that I created for the show:

"LEJONKLOU Tarandus upgrades for the Sagatun preamps and Tundra power amps

Tarandus upgrades. When the Boazu was complete Fredrik and other testers were surprised to find it musically more fun than the Sagatun stereo and Tundra stereo combination! While some companies would find this embarrassing and try to make the integrated less good, Fredrik was elated! In the course of designing the Boazu and working on overcoming the challenges of putting the preamp and power amp in one case, Fredrik Lejonklou made some new discoveries that could be incorporated into the Sagatuns and Tundras to take their performance to an even higher level, hence Tarandus. These are relatively inexpensive upgrades that will become available over the next few months for all of the Sagatuns and Tundra 2s. (Tundra 1.2s or earlier would need to be uprgades to 2.0 before or at the same time to accept these upgrades.)

The first upgrade to come out will be for the Sagatun Monos, which will be available in late October and will run $475 parts and labor per unit. Others will follow throughout this year. Note that all those who have purchased any of these products after August 1, 2016 qualify for a free upgrade!"

Fredrik has already upgraded the first pair of Sagatun Mono to incorporate Tarandus which makes them version 1.3. He is pleased with the results and now that the design is finalized and tested work can go forward on doing the updates. I have a number of update kits coming soon. Exciting times!
The LP12 Whisperer
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

I have a Tundra 1.2 which I was intending to update to 2.0 at some stage. Would it make more sense to wait until Tarandus for Tundra is available, and then do both as one trip? If so, will there be a cost saving?
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack