The new NOKTable from Nokturne Audio

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

The new NOKTable from Nokturne Audio

Post by ThomasOK »

Well, it looks like that mention had the desired effect. ;-)
Music Lover wrote:NOKTable?
What have I missed...
Charlie1 wrote:Look forward to a pic of Boazu and NOKTable.

We Need a dedicated thread for NOKTable. Don't know what it is but a small LP12 table that's much cheaper than Harmoni and yet better than Archidee/AudioTech would be well received I think/hope.
So here is the requested thread, and more importantly the product announcement:

The new NOKTable Turntable Stand from Nokturne Audio will be shown to the public for the first time at the RMAF October 7th through the 9th, 2016 in Denver, Colorado. It will be displayed along with the Lejonklou electronics, including the new Boazu, cosmetically "upgraded" JBL 3677s and two well configured LP12s.

Among users of the Linn Sondek LP12, and other turntables that work best on a lightweight stand, there were three stands that were most commonly used: the Sound Organisation, the Audiotech and the Archidee. Most who tried them all felt that they ranked in that order with the Archidee being the most musical. Indeed the owner of the store where I work and I have used the Archidee for many years. The problem was that none of the three have been made for some time and they are very hard to find. With the resurgence in vinyl sales and availability and turntable sales I felt it was time for this shortage to be addressed. Hence the NOKTable.

The NOKTable is a reincarnation of the Archidee turntable stand. A reincarnation because it is the same basic soul but in a new body. Since I was going to bring this design back I wanted to eliminate its flaws and improve the appearance. The Archidee (and the Audiotech) were known for bad fitting spikes and fittings that sometimes broke loose and the Archidee often had parallel posts that weren't really parallel.

The NOKTable is the same basic size and shape as the Archidee but it more precise and better finished. The spikes are correctly threaded with long ones for the bottom that can pierce any carpet and shorter ones for the top. These thread directly into the metal of the stand which is easily strong enough. The posts are parallel and are finished in a black crackle finish, not dissimilar to Lejonklou electronics. This finish is tough, hard-wearing and resists fingerprints and dust (or at least makes it less noticeable). The black laminated mdf board top is the same exact size as the top of an LP12 plinth. Overall the look is clean and understated.

But all of that makes little difference if it doesn't provide a musical performance from your turntable. My goal was to improve precision and appearance yet equal the performance of the Archidee. I feel that I have exceeded that goal. In my listening tests the two are very similar but the NOKTable gives more insight into the music and flows a little better. Interestingly the NOKTable with the Archidee top was more musical than the Archidee with the same top and the NOKTable top was also a touch more musical than the Archidee top when used on the NOKTable. This made me quite happy!

Then there is the question of the Harmoni racks that I distribute in the US. Well, the answer here is more uncertain. In my system, with a Harmoni rack consisting of a Reference bottom, two Tors and an updated Mimer K top, all using Sitka Spruce, positioned optimally from the back wall, I find the NOKTable to give me a touch more insight to the music and get me a bit more involved. The two are quite close and I don't rule out the possibility of setup or system changing these results. Plus I only tried a couple of A/Bs on it. So I'm not willing to state that one is categorically better at this point. Plus one is my own product so I think others should really make this kind of judgement. But I will say it is competitive musically.
matthias wrote: I must confess that I do not like racks, I am stacking my gear horizontally, so stands of around 46cm height placed in a row would be perfect.
Funny you should mention this. The NOKTable stands approximately 475mm high on top of a set of Skeets. Now I don't want to steal any of Linnofil's thunder here - his speaker stands sound great, are very, very well constructed and researched and are basically works of art. I want to make it clear that I do not have the facilities nor the time that he has to create a stand like his speaker stand and I have no plan to try to make my own. For the NOKTable Turntable Stand I did not research a bunch of different materials or sizes and shapes. I just took the best working design I knew of, paid attention to things other people had tried and found lacking, and attempted to construct it better. The actual construction is done under contract to my design in the US by people who specialize in this type of work. That I succeeded in making it musically superior is a welcome addition and one I didn't honestly expect.

The NOKTable Turntable Stand will be available early October for a price of $599 US. This is a firm intro timeframe as I have the components now and am just waiting for some packing materials and to create the instruction sheet. There will definitely be one or two production units at RMAF to see and hear.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Re: The new NOKTable from Nokturne Audio

Post by mrco99 »

Congratulations Thomas, great to see - and hear - your new incarnation of this classic turntable stand.

Have been trying to find an Archidee for some time but it seems that quest is over and done with now.
You may note your first order :-)

Pictures? Or keep this a surprise if you want....nice to look forward to the exciting unknown

Cheers from Amsterdam,

Marco
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Thanks Marco, I will post photos once I get some decent ones taken.
The LP12 Whisperer
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Congratulations, Thomas,
and all the best for you, Fredrik and Linnofil at the RMAF2016!

Matt
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Great news Thomas. I know you made passing comment a few years ago that you'd like to make an LP12 table but I figured you'd been too busy or changed your mind. Glad you made it. Weird I was thinking again recently there must be a constant trickle of LP12 owners around the world looking for a good table that doesn't cost 4 figures plus and why hasn't someone taken the plunge.

I guess you just need to get some dealers on board that regularly shift Sondeks. Will you try to engage dealers outside the US or just ship direct?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Congratulations Thomas!

This show just got even more exciting. A fully loaded LP12 on a NOKTable, Boazu and JBL 3677's with your secret grilles, on Ofil stands. That is almost too many cool things for one room!

I can't wait to set those systems up and play some of the vinyl I'm bringing!!
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

lejonklou wrote:A fully loaded LP12 on a NOKTable, Boazu and JBL 3677's with your secret grilles, on Ofil stands.
No mention of any Tundra(s) or Sagatun(s) there...is this confirmation that Boazu is an integrated amplifier? :-)
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

rowlandhills wrote:No mention of any Tundra(s) or Sagatun(s) there...is this confirmation that Boazu is an integrated amplifier? :-)
I was just mentioning all the news!

Sagatun, Tundra, Sagatun Mono and Tundra Mono will also be there. And I have some announcements for them as well!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I'm interested in a NOKTable too - will confirm in early Oct.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:........JBL 3677's with your secret grilles.......
Thomas,
can you shed some light on this as well?
Thanks

Matt
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

Cool! May we have some pictures of the NOKTable?
Last edited by hcl on 2016-09-21 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

matthias wrote:
lejonklou wrote:........JBL 3677's with your secret grilles.......
Thomas,
can you shed some light on this as well?
Thanks

Matt
Not quite ready to shed light on that yet except to say I have some grills being made. They should be ready for the show and we will take photos of the system setup at the show and post them. I doubt I'll have photos before then.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

hcl wrote:Cool! May we have some pictures of the NOKTable and maybe a price indication?
The price is $599 US. Photos probably next week.
The LP12 Whisperer
Nature

Post by Nature »

Congratulations ThomasOK!
lejonklou wrote:
lejonklou wrote:A fully loaded LP12 on a NOKTable, Boazu and JBL 3677's with your secret grilles, on Ofil stands.
In what way is LP12 and JBL 3677 a news?
lejonklou wrote:Sagatun, Tundra, Sagatun Mono and Tundra Mono will also be there. And I have some announcements for them as well!
Very exciting! I'm very impressed by the performance of the Tundra Stereo.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

lejonklou wrote:
rowlandhills wrote:No mention of any Tundra(s) or Sagatun(s) there...is this confirmation that Boazu is an integrated amplifier? :-)

Sagatun, Tundra, Sagatun Mono and Tundra Mono will also be there. And I have some announcements for them as well!
Will there be a forum news item on the day of the event then?

(preferably before of course :-))
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, there will be an announcement on the first day of the show, October 7th.
The LP12 Whisperer
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Very exciting news Thomas! Congratulations on your new and first product! As it stands right now, Im sure it's going to be a great show for both you and Fredrik. You are going to stand out at RMAF! Best in show is a fun mockumentary, but this time it's going to be the true story. I look forward to hear the first reports (with pictures) from the show.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Linnofil wrote:As it stands right now
:)

Yeah !
It's all about musical understanding!
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

lejonklou wrote: I was just mentioning all the news!

Each time I think - it cant get better than this - it does. Will get the empty boxes down from the Loft in anticipation.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Music Lover wrote:
Linnofil wrote:As it stands right now
:)

Yeah !
Indeed! Plus
Linnofil wrote:You are going to stand out at RMAF!
I have to say that is very clever punning and quite subtle for it being in a second language. Salute!

I am hoping RMAF will help Fredrik and I to rack up some significant sales. Hopefully steady, long term growth and not just a temporary spike.
The LP12 Whisperer
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Was that last post on the level?
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Way too funny for me, I can't stand this any longer
It's all about musical understanding!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Here are a couple of the photos I have taken of the NOKTable Turntable Stand:

The LP12 Whisperer
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

They look fantastic!

Really good finish too, it seems from the pictures.
The FlatEarther

Post by The FlatEarther »

Hi Tom well done. Another shot in the arm for the old fruitbox.

Interested how you arrived at laminated mdf? The SO shelves were laminated chipboard. Interestingly, so are the Tiger Paw Vukan shelves.

Have you tried your Mimer on the Nok or other materials?
WR
Flat