Klångedang T1 - sensational loudspeakers!

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Klångedang T1 - sensational loudspeakers!

Post by Efraim roots »

Yes! For once some luck with the schedule, I'll most likely attend. I want to hear this system! I must bring some records too :)
the players of instruments shall be there..
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

Have a nice evening - I can´t attend. Would have been nice to meet some of you Klånge owners.

Regards Magnus
Sonore Mr streamer/Teddy Powersupply/Didit DAC 212/ Teddy PR/MB100 Rega P 3/Slipsik Klångedang T1
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sadly I can't make it either tonight. I am on the wrong coast of the country.

I really hope that Efraim can report on what he thinks of these new big filters. And perhaps someone else as well? I know there are quite a few in Gothenburg who are reading this and might attend tonight's demo.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

It was a very nice system we heard yesterday! The best HiFi system I’ve heard so far, by the second tune I was just laughing for myself and wanted to start kicking up in the air or something (way beyond foot tapping). I have one reservation for the system though, that is I actually believe that fine tuning the LP12 with torque wrench has taken it to another level and since I’m used to that I think it was that I was missing, the rhythm section just didn’t nail it like I’m used to.

Regarding the different filters the first comparisons where between the original hard wired filter and the new Synkron, the difference was apparent but it was more a difference of character than better or worse. Synkron had a certain drive in the music and the original was more holistic but a little ”up there”. In come the Reference filter and the drive from synkron was lost a bit but the sound had something else, the fat was cut away and left was a much cleaner, very pitch accurate sound with separation of musicians and layers of music. In comparison, music with the other filters sounded simplified. I guess you can say the reference filters builds on the weak spots of klångedang, they change the little ”cuddly” sound for precision. A very worthwhile audition for klångedang users/speculators!
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

Thanks Efraim Roots for your report . Fascinating that the crossover has such an impact of the final result.

Klångedang was and is a very good speakersystem as it is with SHW filter but as I understand it perhaps not entirely ready until now?

Can`t wait to hear the ref filter.

Magnus
Sonore Mr streamer/Teddy Powersupply/Didit DAC 212/ Teddy PR/MB100 Rega P 3/Slipsik Klångedang T1
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for the report, Efraim roots!

I hope I get to hear these soon!
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

I have now had the Reference filters in my home for a couple of weeks and I think I am ready to share some initial thouhgts.

I bought it for 2 month ago and during this time Anders has revised them once and updated it to version 3.1. During this period he also found out that the syncron crossover was not good enough meaning he is now rebuilding them too.

What I first heard when connecting them was a bit of a strange frequencies with the top end pretty sharp. But as you hear them more and they get more burnt in they sounds more even and controlled through out the entire frequencyband.
After now 2 weeks they make the "tiny" Klångedang T1 sound bigger. Its like the size of the woofer gone up an inch and its easier to hear layers and vocals with lyrics is more forward and easier to listen to.

I like this progress a lot and I hope Klångedang now is more of a "ready" design than before but one never knows what the designer has in his sleeve for the future.

Magnus
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I heard that Tonläget had a demo evening last week, when they demonstrated the latest Synkron and Referens filters for Klångedang T1.

I'd very much appreciate a short review of how they performed. Especially in comparison to the SHW filter, which I still have on mine.
jewa

Post by jewa »

I can give a short review or really listening impressions from the evening. We listened to vinyl, full blown LP12 with Krystal/Klimax DSM/Tundra 2a/K400/Klångedang T1.

I wasn't too attentive in the beginning – I think we first listened to SHW and then Synkron. This time I thought that Synkron was an improvement over the SHW-filter. Last time I listened I thought that Synkron was a rhythmic beast but lacked in some ways (it didn't really ”sound” pleasing or just didn't put through all information... but I don't remember that well).

When we later went from Synkon to Referens, it felt like ”oh whoa, this is perfect”. It gave me the chills, and I will remember the listening impression forever. (Perhaps it was one of those days, but it was incredible good.) Music reproduced in the best way. The T1:s with reference-filters played music very alive, like it didn't hold back. And the sound was like – these speakers are finished! (But who knows...)

I know this isn't a good review, but it is something!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

No, it's a great review!

This says it all I think
I will remember the listening impression forever
It's all about musical understanding!
jewa

Post by jewa »

Music Lover wrote:No, it's a great review!

This says it all I think
I will remember the listening impression forever
Yes, it is clearly an exaggeration, but I think most can relate!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Sure it did.
It's not about exaggeration or not, nor the exact words used - it's about describing a feeling IMHO. And it went thru perfectly.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you jewa! That was a great review.

I have to hear those Referens filters!
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

I can only agree to what Jewa says- a spot on review.

A month ago we had a family gathering and of course there were some members of the large family that asked what all my boxes was for. ( I have two racks full with gear) I put on some music and increased the volume so that it started to sound really good. Clean and undistorted at high volumes makes the live feeling appearant. So there we were sitting a long time listening to various music. They knew about the albums but they agreed they had never heard music like that before in a home, " It sounds like a concert they said".
It was so good that even my mother in law ( who has a hearing problem ) actually liked them a lot.

So the reference filters makes you enjoy music much more at even higher volumes for the extra live feeling.

Magnus
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

I was at the event that night also and I agree with jewa. Synkron seem to be a real improvement on SHW but also sound different so ideally you should try them first. If I was buying new and choose between SHW and synkron I would get the later and enjoy. The reference filter was fantastic, klångedang felt just perfect and complete. Tundra 2A is really good also!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

This weekend I'm testing three different passive filters with my Klångedang T1's:

Simply Hard Wire (SHW)
Synkron
Referens

Report will follow. It's been a while since I played on my T1's and they are truly great.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

First report:

The two new filters, Synkron and Referens, are really miles better than the old SHW model. T1's become cleaner from top to bottom, less compressed, more agile and FUN. I am very impressed with the development Anders has made here. What a difference they make to the music!

Synkron to Referens (both now in version 3.1) is a more difficult comparison. They sound very different, with Synkron being more forward, aggressive, restless, noisy and hard-hitting. And Referens being more detailed, clean, laid back and high resolution analogue-like. At the moment, I actually lean towards Synkron being the more musical of the two, despite Referens having a much nicer and more informative sound. But it's not an easy comparison and I could be wrong! It could also be due to Referens not having been played enough, as apparently some components take a long time to break in.

In any case, I really recommend anyone with an old SHW filter - or anyone who wants to hear a world class loudspeaker! - to listen to T1 with the new filter models.

As I've had JBL 3677 at home for many months, only one question remains: Which of these two speakers are staying?
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

The ones that look the nicest and fit in with the household if they sound so close!
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ozzzy189 wrote:The ones that look the nicest and fit in with the household if they sound so close!
Ha ha!

Actually I think the JBL 3677 are really cool looking, they fill up half the wall and just refuse to do anything to excuse themselves.

But with the new filters, I find that T1 is better. More informative, more emotional and I can play louder than with 3677 without my ears hurting.

It might be that tweaking the 3677 with removal of the filter and internal K400 can make them retake the number one position. And the filter components can probably be improved as well. But as they stand right now, I'm enjoying the music more with T1.

The only question is what filters I should choose. Referens lets me hear into the songs more, but Synkron feels, as the name suggests, very synchronized. If I cared about sound quality, the choice would be easy. But I really don't - I just want to maximise the kick I get from the music. And then these two are really close. One refined, the other more brutal.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:But with the new filters, I find that T1 is better. More informative, more emotional and I can play louder than with 3677 without my ears hurting.
It might be that tweaking the 3677 with removal of the filter and internal K400 can make them retake the number one position.
Very interesting that you can play louder with a low sensivity speaker than with a high sensivity one!
My gut feeling is that the two Klangedang filters, designed as "series crossover", are better than the 3677 filter.
Do you think Anders would design a series crossover for the 3677 as a replacement for the standard one?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote:Very interesting that you can play louder with a low sensivity speaker than with a high sensivity one!
I need to clarify: I can play much louder with 3677 than with T1 when using the same power amplifier. With Tundra, I can play pretty loud on T1. With 3677 I can play at disco levels!

What I meant here is the level where my ears hurt. Our living room is rather small and the walls are of concrete. My impression is that 3677 needs some damping in order not to become harsh at high levels. T1's are much smoother in this respect.
matthias wrote:My gut feeling is that the two Klangedang filters, designed as "series crossover", are better than the 3677 filter.
Without a doubt, yes! Anders' series filters are amazing - and it's so evident that he tunes them, again and again, by ear, with music.
matthias wrote:Do you think Anders would design a series crossover for the 3677 as a replacement for the standard one?
I think that he could. I'm not sure if he would.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:I think that he could. I'm not sure if he would.
This statement is true for both you and Anders. So who would design a series filter for the 3677?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Music Lover wrote:
mrco99 wrote:Any news to report on the new and highly anticipated Reference XO filters for Klangedang T1?
Herd them the other week.
Simply awesome! (for being an enhancement that late in the chain)
Still a long way from production as he going to continue the R/D process. To that add time for casework and production.
So going to take LONG time...
Loooking back, this post is from Mars 2015!
Anders tweak his constructions over time, as Fredrik.
It pays out.
And no doubt, the filter is VERY important!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

matthias wrote:
lejonklou wrote:I think that he could. I'm not sure if he would.
This statement is true for both you and Anders. So who would design a series filter for the 3677?
A few of the 3677-owners already discuss this.
I can assist in testing.
For me, Klångedang is way too limited (not loud enough, weak bass and no SLAM)

Competition is GREAT!!
3677 has obviously pushed Anders to even further tune his speaker.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Music Lover wrote: For me, Klångedang is way too limited (not loud enough, weak bass and no SLAM)
Competition is GREAT!!
3677 has obviously pushed Anders to even further tune his speaker.
+1, same for me.
IMO, Anders uses the best filter for a two-way system, a first order series crossover.
There is nothing better.
I do not believe that he would design a filter for the 3677 to create competition for his Klangedangs.
Fredrik is very busy with his own electronics.
So what to do?