Lejonklou at RMAF 2016 (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Lejonklou at RMAF 2016 (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest

Post by ThomasOK »

Nokturne Audio is happy to announce that we will be displaying the full line of Lejonklou HiFi products at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2016. RMAF 2016 will be held at the Denver Tech Center Mariott Hotel in Denver Colorado, Friday, October 7th through Sunday, October 9th.

We displayed at the 2014 RMAF and were met with enthusiasm by those who visited our room. However, this year we will have an additional secret weapon: Fredrik Lejonklou himself! He will be taking a few days out of his very busy schedule to co-host our room at the show with Thomas. Also, Fredrik hopes to introduce his latest product to the world there (assuming, as always, that it is ready to perform as desired). We are also planning to have the first product from Nokturne Audio manufacturing at the show for audition. We expect Fredriks' dynamic personality and obvious love for quality musical reproduction will win many new friends and hope it will raise the awareness in the press of Lejonklou HiFi and their wonderful electronics.

The main system will feature my fully loaded, Movingui plinth LP12SE with Kandid, Sagatun Mono 1.1s and Tundra Mono 2As on two Harmoni racks driving JBL 3677 speakers, as can be seen in clips of my system. Hopefully the JBL 4645C subwoofer, also driven by a Lejonklou amp, will be incorporated in the system. A second system will feature an LP12 with Kore, Ekos 2 and Adikt to demonstrate the Slipsik 6 and Gaio along with Lejonklou electronics and speakers yet to be determined.

We expect this to be a fun time for us and for those who visit the room. Part of the fun will be the public showing of Linn/Lejonklou system with the JBL speakers for the first time in the US. By this time I expect to have made some cosmetic improvements such that people will have to ask what the speakers are. If we get the same level of comments about having some of the best sound of the show, as we did with the big Dynaudios last time, the speakers we are using should cause some raised eyebrows all by themselves! Also, as we did last time, the plan is that we will only be spinning vinyl at the show. I will have a well selected and eclectic mix of albums to play for showgoers that will be low on "audiophile" warhorses and high on musical enjoyment.

Anyone who can drop by is welcome to visit the room, meet Fredrik and hear some great tunes on a superlatively musical system. I will post our room number once I have confirmed it.

A little more on RMAF:
RMAF is "the largest consumer audio and home entertainment show in the United States" with over 160 exhibit spaces and over 400 companies represented. It is a show where people are encouraged to walk the halls, listen to music in the various rooms and talk to the reps and designers in a relaxed setting.

More info can be found on their website: https://www.audiofest.net
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Lejonklou at RMAF 2016 (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest

Post by Ozzzy189 »

That sounds like a fabulous opportunity to increase the presence and awareness of Lejonklou equipment in the US, Fredrik's personality is bound to win over many people and his dynamic enthusiasm and passion is always a pleasure to witness first hand.
Good luck with the show, I and many others will be looking forward to reading your reports and seeing some pictures.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

... and finding out what the latest product is. Integrated amplifier or something else perhaps?
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Good luck guys!

Would be nice to see a couple of pics if you get time.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I definitely intend to take photos, not only so we can all see Fredrik doing his stuff and the equipment setup but also I need some good photos (which I am notoriously bad at posing for) to let people see me in my current trim.

I am not supposed to say what Fredrik is working on, although he just posted a photo of the circuit board on Instagram. I will tell you it is not a digital streamer as that project is a major undertaking and will not see the light of day this year.

I fully agree with Ozzy about the fun of watching Fredrik do demos and his obvious enthusiasm - it is one reason I only wanted to do the show if he could make it. But I should note that RMAF is a big enough show that it pulls in the worldwide audio press so I am hoping it will have a beneficial effect on the recognition of Lejonklou HiFi everywhere it is sold and in places it is not yet. Despite the North American market being my primary concern, the better Lejonklou HiFi does everywhere the better it is for all of us.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

A little side note, the RMAF also hosts the CanJam - a section on the main floor featuring headphones, headphone amps and accessories. It is always a highlight of the show and very well attended.

Letting Fredrik see the amazing amount of interest in headphones and related devices might help kindle some interest in another product many of us would like to see him design.
The LP12 Whisperer
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

I was planning to go to RMAF this year but external auditors just advised they are commencing audits that same week. :(
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

ThomasOK wrote:A little side note, the RMAF also hosts the CanJam - a section on the main floor featuring headphones, headphone amps and accessories. It is always a highlight of the show and very well attended.

Letting Fredrik see the amazing amount of interest in headphones and related devices might help kindle some interest in another product many of us would like to see him design.
I find it interesting that in some parts of the world people seem to listen more or even exlusively on headphones.
Wonder why this is?

Regarding Fredriks new mystery product. Hopefully it will be an integrated amp! Even better sounding than a Sagatun/Tundra2. Fully equipped with phonostage perhaps and a bit more powerful!
My speculations and wishes only!

Magnus
Sonore Mr streamer/Teddy Powersupply/Didit DAC 212/ Teddy PR/MB100 Rega P 3/Slipsik Klångedang T1
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Fredrik and Thomas,

what about HIGH END 2017 in Munich?

Best

Matt
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ron The Mon »

deleted
Last edited by Ron The Mon on 2023-09-23 01:52, edited 1 time in total.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

magnuska wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:A little side note, the RMAF also hosts the CanJam - a section on the main floor featuring headphones, headphone amps and accessories. It is always a highlight of the show and very well attended.

I find it interesting that in some parts of the world people seem to listen more or even exlusively on headphones.
Wonder why this is?

Regarding Fredriks new mystery product. Hopefully it will be an integrated amp! Even better sounding than a Sagatun/Tundra2. Fully equipped with phonostage perhaps and a bit more powerful!
My speculations and wishes only!

Magnus
Gee, you aren't asking for much, are you?

As to headphones, there is a whole enthusiast subculture for them. Just look at headfi.org to see how many people are really into it. Some of the busiest forums on the web. From what I hear I think it is a really big thing is Asia and also quite popular in North America. I don't know if it is as popular in Europe. But the CanJams, such as the one at RMAF are very popular and are also highly attended in Asia. I think they had their first one in the UK this year but I haven't heard how well it went.

There are a fair number of people here into headphones just because it is the only way they can listen to music and retain domestic harmony - especially if they like to listen loud. There is also the fact that, in Hi-Fi terms, you can get more sound for the money with headphones than with speakers, although I and many others find headphone listening unnatural. With the culture as it is, those who do listen a fair bit to headphones will want a good headphone amp...
The LP12 Whisperer
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote: With the culture as it is, those who do listen a fair bit to headphones will want a good headphone amp...
Yes that would be a nice product but how big is the market? How many on this site would consider buying one?

Outside this forum sadly the majority connect the headphones directly to their Smartphones (streaming from the Net) while they are non-stationary AND stationary.

Mobility and convenience are the driving factors, not ultimate sound reproduction.
And today when many headphone amps have inbuilt DAC&pre (a feature race, not quality competition) and when Apple release their new iPhone with digital connection - what will happen on the market?
Havn't looked into this in detail yet, any thoughts frim you?
It's all about musical understanding!
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

I must say that during the last two years I have met quite a few of really dedicated young people that are 'all in' for headphones when it comes to music reproduction. My prejudices still fools me (I must change now) that these people will start discussing "Beats" (the brand) or the latest Sennheiser Momentum at best, but they actually rather put focus on the best headphones there is. All I can tell them is about source first and tune method. When it comes to headphone knowledge and experience they're miles ahead.
the players of instruments shall be there..
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Music Lover wrote:
ThomasOK wrote: With the culture as it is, those who do listen a fair bit to headphones will want a good headphone amp...
Yes that would be a nice product but how big is the market? How many on this site would consider buying one?

Outside this forum sadly the majority connect the headphones directly to their Smartphones (streaming from the Net) while they are non-stationary AND stationary.

Mobility and convenience are the driving factors, not ultimate sound reproduction.
And today when many headphone amps have inbuilt DAC&pre (a feature race, not quality competition) and when Apple release their new iPhone with digital connection - what will happen on the market?
Havn't looked into this in detail yet, any thoughts frim you?
Well, you are asking two quite different questions. How big is the market? Very big. There is a lot of interest in headphones and certainly Beats (as bad as they are) stirred up part of it. How many on this site would consider buying them? My guess is not many for the reason that most of us just don't find headphone listening to be a very natural experience. After all how well can you dance to the music tethered to your turntable and amp?

But that begs the other question: Does Fredrik only want to sell to people on this site, or even to the type of music listener the site caters to? To me a wider distribution of Lejonklou benefits us all in keeping it a viable business for Fredrik, therefore assuring he can make even better gear and in more categories.

The thing I think is worth understanding is that the headphone subculture is a very different one. The people who are really headphone geeks will often have multiple sets of headphones and multiple amps as well. And even those new to the hobby but interested will often have a headphone amp and a couple of pair of headphones. Why is this? A lot has to do with expense and perceived quality. In HiFi terms headphones have big advantages. They are mostly single driver so there are no crossover problems and minimal phase problems. Also little in the way of concerns about dispersion at different frequencies. They don't interface with the room so there are no room acoustics considerations. They can generally play loud enough to make you deaf without the kind of distortion and compression common to many speakers and also many amplifiers. They need very low power allowing for a simpler and more pure amp to be made for them at lower cost than needed to drive most speakers.

So the thought process is "I can get a pair of headphones for $1000 (or $500, or $300 - pick your price) that will have more accurate frequency response, phase response, transient capabilities and lower distortion than any speaker selling for 10 or 20 times the price." "I can likewise get an amplifier for them at a fraction of the cost of a similar quality amp to drive speakers." From this point of view, what's not to like?

But for the hobbyist it goes farther than that. Because of the price differences alluded to above, not to mention the ease of switching and storing headphones compared to speakers, it allows them to play with more different units. In many cases they will fall back on the old ideas of "this is better for rock, this is better for small jazz groups and this is better for large scale classical" ridiculousness that the mags still tend to spout. So they might have a number of headphones that they use for different music or even different moods. I'll give you a good example. I have recently been selling a complete system for a woman whose husband passed away a little while ago. He had a surround system so there were front and rear speakers with a center and sub and a bunch of electronics. But he also owned 4 sets of headphones and four headphone amps (note that only one had a DAC). All four headphones were at least $300 with most well above that and two of them had custom cables - one with a custom cable that cost $750! The headphone amps were also all at least $750 new. From the headphone meets we have hosted here he is not that unusual. Obviously he was a headphone geek, but again the point is they buy multiple units - not just a single system.

All of this is in the way of saying that if Fredrik made a really musical headphone amp (and would he make any other?) all it would need would be a little notoriety to reach a wide, and equally important different, market. A market were some people would certainly buy it as their only headphone amp but where others might pick one up just because it was a different flavor from what they already own. So it could be a substantial opportunity to reach people Lejonklou HiFi otherwise wouldn't and also to reach potential customers for additional products.

Now I personally don't feel that this should be Fredriks' priority. I would certainly like to see a streamer and an integrated amp first (not to mention another project or two I can't mention). Maybe even a subwoofer crossover? ;-) But sometimes Fredrik gets an inspiration and ends up with a finished design in a month or two (as opposed to the typical wrangling with the thing for a year to perfect it). So if he got such an inspiration for a headphone amp I think he should follow it.
The LP12 Whisperer
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I am not really a Headphone person - but after reading the last post , I am now already imaging my bedroom sneaky hooked up to Fredricks headphone amp, when it is available.

With the KEf eggs and sneaky - too often I am greeted with the response ' I am not sure this music is really my cup of tea '.

With the main system - I can always politely suggest the TV in the other lounge - but not easy to do in the Bedroom.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

I'd be delighted to see, or rather, hear of an impending Phono Pre- that accommodates moving coil cartridges
LP12_Radikal/2_Keel_Karousel_Ittok III_Akiva. Ak Tuner. UDP-205. Kontrol/2. Solo_Ak 212. 2250_Ak 225
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Single drivers mean minimal phase problems? I'm afraid this is a fallacy. Single drivers have phase shifts as a function of frequency. Inconvenient but true.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

sunbeamgls wrote:Single drivers mean minimal phase problems? I'm afraid this is a fallacy. Single drivers have phase shifts as a function of frequency. Inconvenient but true.
So does digital playback.

I didn't say no phase problems, I said minimal. Compared to the vast majority of multi-driver systems there are fewer phase problems - especially with the relatively small headphone drivers.
The LP12 Whisperer
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

ThomasOK wrote:
sunbeamgls wrote:Single drivers mean minimal phase problems? I'm afraid this is a fallacy. Single drivers have phase shifts as a function of frequency. Inconvenient but true.
So does digital playback.

I didn't say no phase problems, I said minimal. Compared to the vast majority of multi-driver systems there are fewer phase problems - especially with the relatively small headphone drivers.
This is a fair point Thomas, apologies for mis-reading.

I think you are right to say fewer rather than minimal.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Here is a little teaser from the forthcoming Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. Scroll down the page a bit and look for the Nokturne Audio logo.

https://www.audiofest.net/attending/products/?keyword=B
The LP12 Whisperer
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Boazu, never "herd" of that before... I bet it sounds exciting with the JBL horns. Thanks for the teaser!
Nature

Post by Nature »

My guess will be a two channel power amplifier. A new product based on Tundra.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

IMO either an integrated amp or a headphone amp
OR
integrated amp with headphone amp

Matt
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Linnofil wrote:Boazu, never "herd" of that before...
Oh, dear! :-)
The LP12 Whisperer
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

Another soverein product!