Moderation - split from "The New Lejonklou Streamer"

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Moderation - split from "The New Lejonklou Streamer"

Post by Azazello »

Guys, please don't turn this into the Linn forum.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Re: The New Lejonklou Streamer

Post by donuk »

What do you mean by that? No fun? If so, I am out of here.
My hobby is fun.
Why shout in red ink?

Donuk, sunny downtown York
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Azazello wrote:Guys, please don't turn this into the Linn forum.
"Hear Here!"
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

I know exactly what he means. A relativity high proportion of threads on the Linn forum tend eventually to be hijacked by an "amusing" post, which means the original, often interesting and informative, point is submerged under a sequence of banality. Now people who know me are well aware of my warped sense of humour (thankfully not displayed on this forum, much) so I'm a big fan of fun, but not when it interrupts interesting threads.

Just my 2p, and taking this thread further off course. Moderator, worth splitting the last few posts out?
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I can understand the point but Donuk started the tread himself!
Playing cd’s…………
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Just a couple of points before I sign off.

1) I started this thread, and have included a number of sensible points.
2) Just to state that you do not want this to turn into the Linn forum is not very helpful - and actually, rude.
3) I really enjoy the humour of the Linn forum. It is the only reason I read it these days.
4) I cannot continue to post on this forum with the fear that I might say something amusing or irrelevant. Not my style or personality.
5) I think sometimes people who are close to a product forget that the forum in written largely by people who enjoy the product, and the fun of being in a hifi community. We are not paid for contributions. It takes a lot of time and thought believe it or not. For me there are opportunity costs.

No, there is no danger of this turning into the Linn forum while moderators stamp on attempts at humour. I was praised about a week ago for producing "the funniest thing on any forum". Sorry about that; it will not happen again.

Interestingly the evening I spent with Frederik, Ozzzy, Chris (Hidden) and others was a lot of fun. We focussed on a lot of hifi and there were plenty of jokes.

Anyway chaps, back to your serious deliberations.

Donuk, over and out.....
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Don't take things to heart mate. I'm sure that I speak for everyone when I say that we don't want you to disappear. Let the dust settle, and I reckon Fred himself would be a bit upset if you decide to leave the forum for good.
Talk later.
Ozzzy
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

This is a bit of a touchy one. I certainly don't want this to turn into the Linn forum. But I am more concerned about the argumentative tone that has developed a fair bit over there and the way a small number of "contributors" seem to like to take potshots at others and at Linn as well. I also understand that the humor over there often gets overdone and some members seem to feel that they should make fun of virtually anything posted there and I certainly wouldn't want that to happen here. But the moderation of this forum is such that we don't see these kind of things happening and I am pleased that this is the case.

However, I obviously have a sense of humor and don't hide it on the forum, nor do I think others should either. Without a little humor here and there this would be a very dry forum indeed. In this case I don't really feel that the humor was negative nor taken too far. And I note that Fredrik himself thanked Donuk for his comments and did it right after a humorous post. Personally I feel that the statement from Azazello was a bit curt and that a bit longer and kinder message would have been more appropriate and effective.

I certainly do not want to see Donuk, a valued contributor, nor humor itself disappear from the Lejonklou forum. As music is itself a form of communication that often brings joy, and humor of good quality is the same, the loss of the connection between the two here would not be a positive thing.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
TMV

Post by TMV »

Don, maybe some moderators sometimes are a bit too serious. But maybe Azazello also wrote this with a bit of humour (maybe not, I don´t know)?
Azazello wrote:Guys, please don't turn this into the Linn forum.
Normally I do really like the moderation on this forum regarding musical performance, it makes the quality of the posts very good. But I don´t mind funny/crazy/stupid (in a good way) posts once in a while so let´s try to keep this a fun and informative forum.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

donuk wrote:What do you mean by that? No fun? If so, I am out of here.
My hobby is fun.
Why shout in red ink?
Don, red ink is not "shouting". It signifies a message from a moderator. Any message.

I am puzzled why you are offended, as the message seemed directed to all. I haven't spoken to Azazello, but I do understand what he means. He's not saying jokes are forbidden, rather "please don't drown the threads in jokes". As macrotech mentioned.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Don't dip out don. Your last post was the funniest I've read for a very long time - on any forum. Maybe I've got a really warped sense of humour, but I always enjoy a good forum hissy fit! They always remind me of Basil Fawlty!

https://youtu.be/78b67l_yxUc
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

lejonklou wrote:
donuk wrote:What do you mean by that? No fun? If so, I am out of here.
My hobby is fun.
Why shout in red ink?
Don, red ink is not "shouting". It signifies a message from a moderator. Any message.
Fredrik, Azazello, it's a small point, but the red does come across as aggressive. Perhaps moderator posts could be in green or distinguished another way (starting with "MOD COMMENT:" maybe?).
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Good idea rowlandhills. Or maybe a pm first? Anyway, I'm sure there's no harm done, something good always comes out of situations like this imo. People learn more about themselves and how things are dealt with and we move on,new and improved.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

rowlandhills wrote:Fredrik, Azazello, it's a small point, but the red does come across as aggressive. Perhaps moderator posts could be in green or distinguished another way (starting with "MOD COMMENT:" maybe?).
Moderator or administrator comments are red and have always been since the start of this forum more than nine years ago. Funny how this can be seen as so aggressive that a change of colour has been suggested not once but several times. Perhaps it really is offensive?

Or perhaps we live in a time when people are upset and offended by just about anything. Trigger warnings must be given to university students before they are given literature that might contain e.g. violence. Authors and film directors are accused of being immoral because a character in their work of art is performing immoral acts. The reaction against this hyper sensitivity goes bananas in the opposite way, by deliberately being offensive and never apologizing for anything.

When it comes to special interest forums, I like a strong moderation. I don't mind reminders like "Please stick to the subject", which is what Azazello's comment was. How anyone can be offended by such a general reminder or the colour of the text is quite frankly beyond me.
Ozzzy189 wrote:Good idea rowlandhills. Or maybe a pm first? Anyway, I'm sure there's no harm done, something good always comes out of situations like this imo. People learn more about themselves and how things are dealt with and we move on,new and improved.
A pm to who? I can't see that the comment was directed towards anyone in particular.

I agree with you that No harm done. Once in a while the rules and the atmosphere seem to require a discussion.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

And Don: Do I want you to leave? But of course not!!

From reading this page again, I think you read something completely different into Azazello's comment than what he meant with it.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Well I got to read Don's amusing post so I'm smiling. Please don't go Don. Having just read it, I think Azazello's comment was fine, kind of said with exasperation (of the Linn forum in general) and a little humour too. I don't think it was directed at anyone specifically. Others added humour too.

I do agree with Rowland about the red text. I appreciate its been around for years but we've also had a few people quickly take offence to a moderator comment in that time. Ok, this is first time red text was pointed at but as soon as I read Rowland's comment I thought 'yes!, that's never helped matters'.

And now I've written that paragraph, I'm now thinking 'this is silly, it's just red writing!' - That fence is just so alluring and comfortable to sit on.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Red does automatically have that connotation from the earliest days when our school papers had the errors marked in red ink (at least in the US). So if this has caused grief a few times maybe it is time to think about changing it to a "friendlier" color like blue or green. It seems that having this discussion has taken us off topic more than the original humor.

So to bring us back on topic, I was wondering if you are investigating MQA and have any thoughts about it? I know little about it but it is starting to get talked up as the next big format.
The LP12 Whisperer
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

OK, so I was over-sensitive. I apologise.
Misunderstood....
No more discussion about me please
Thanks
Donuk sunny downtown York.

PS Just off to spend the day at York University doing a course on "magic". How many places could you do that?? Might be able to come back and do some Peter Belt-like tweaks...
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

First:Red simply indicates that I’m writing in my roll of moderator. That's just to distinguish from when I'm writing as a forum member. Is by no means an indication of upset feelings. I think that is standard on most forums? Maybe I should include some kind of disclaimer when I do that..? Or should I just start using green?! Wouldn't that be kind of confusing?

And Don, I didn't mean to point you out specifically! Like someone said, you started the thread, and since it has become THE thread about the Lejonklou streamer I think it deserves a little extra attention. It's a subject of high interest to all of us (feel the pressure Fredrik!), so it would be a bit of a shame if future contributors would have to read page after page of jokes in order to catch up on the discussion. In most other threads I probably wouldn't care, and certainly never in the "Me and my system" section.

Lastly: Please forgive me Don, but I can't help but find it a bit amusing that you took the accusation of "turning this into the Linn form" as such an insult! I meant it as a cheeky way to tell everybody to stick with the subject, but now I realize it was a really really rude thing to say. I promise to never use that kind of harsh language again. Everyone: please accept my apologies.

I’ll probably split this thread from my first post and move it to the “Forum” section. Just because it’s not about the streamer.

Everybody ok again? <3
DelNaja

Re: Moderation - split from "The New Lejonklou Streamer"

Post by DelNaja »

If another color than red is to be used (not necessary IMHO), might I suggest something other than green? I find the green colored text very hard to read...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I agree, the green is hard on the eyes. Maybe go to the other end of the volume spectrum and use purple?
The LP12 Whisperer
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ThomasOK wrote:I agree, the green is hard on the eyes. Maybe go to the other end of the volume spectrum and use purple?
Indeed purple is very low volume on a Sagatun or Kikkin. When writing text here on the forum, that's the middle box in the first 5 by 5 box (from the left). But maybe people will then think the moderator is whispering?

Normal conversation volume is blue. That's the top right box in the first 5 by 5 box.

What does the moderator say? :)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

This is not the linn forumThis is not the linn forumThis is not the linn forumThis is not the linn forumThis is not the linn forumThis is not the linn forumThis is not the linn forumThis is not the linn forumThis is not the linn forumThis is not the linn forum

Sorry! Just reminding myself that this is not the linn forum.:-)

Red is right, just a shade less sharp: This is absolutely not the linn forum!
Playing cd’s…………
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Instead of changing colur, add a small signature!
Easy and simple. Example:

//the Moderator

PS
As a moderator, I suggest being VERY careful with the wording.
I fully understand why someone take offence of short messages without explanation of either recipient or the reason behind the moderation.
It's all about musical understanding!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I don't have a problem with a red typeface for moderator posts. It stands out well and is clearly differentiated from the general posts. If anyone has a problem with the colour of a post, they need to be asking themselves what that colour means to them, and why. If they can't come up with an answer, I'm available for consultations for only £125 per hour.

PS. It'll only take 30 seconds! (i.e. £1.04 via PayPal, or only 99p for forum members)