JBL 3677

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

christian

JBL 3677

Post by christian »

I thought I would start a thread about the JBL 3677 speaker. As read in a previous thread Jajo has been playing with this speaker in his home cinema system for some time now. As I trust Jajo´s judgement I became interested in this speaker. After a couple of calls to Jajo and also a couple of calls to Lejonklou, whose judgement I of course also think very highly of, I went ahead and ordered a pair of JBL 3677, without even seen nor heard them.

As some of you might remember I previously had a pair of Klångedang T1, which I to this point thought was the most musical speaker in the market. Previously I also tried a pair of ATC SCM50A. I think the Klångedang is superior to the ATC’s in terms of musicality but there was something about the big full range sound and the dynamics from the ATC’s that I missed ever since I sold them.

I got the 3677’s mid-November and have lived with them since. I agree with everything that jajo has written about them in the previous thread. They are big, rather ugly (but I like the look). Sound is “in the middle of your face” and for the size they do not produce the bass that you would think. But right out of the box I felt that this had potential. Dynamics are very good and the live feeling you get is sensational.

I will not go through everything that has been made but will mention the most important parts of what’s been done since I got them.

Crossovers have been moved outside of the speaker. They are now in two wooden boxes that I have made myself. The internal wiring has been replaced with Linn K400 cable and soldered directly to the drive units. The original connector do only take bare wire so they have also been replaced with connectors that can take banana plugs and soldered to the K400 coming from the drive units.

A lot of listening tests have been made and our conclusion is that the speakers sound best being 35 cm from the floor. Mr Linnofil has helped me and welded a pair of really nice looking stands to make the speakers stand at the correct height.

And how does it sound? Well better that anything I have ever heard. The musicality is really outstanding and I really like the sound to. Doesn’t matter what kind of music you throw at the system, it just swings! The move of the crossovers made the sound better and the stands was really the thing that made the system shine.

As mentioned before the break-in time is rather long and I feel that the speakers are still improving.

Also the torque of the drive units has been tested and we found them to be optimal at a rather low torque, approximately 0, 40 NM for both of the units.

It would be nice if others will follow (I won’t say too much here, but I know I few who has) so that we together can build a knowledge around these speakers. Until proven wrong I consider myself lucky having the best sounding Hifi system in the world, right now. 

This is how it looks with the Linnofil stands and you can also see the boxes with the crossovers inside.
Last edited by christian on 2016-02-03 20:35, edited 3 times in total.
Kind regards
Christian
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: JBL 3677

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for a very exciting report, Christian!

I can add three things:

1. I have a pair in my lab. When I get my pair of stands from Linnofil, I will bring them home.

2. I am selling these speakers. The Swedish retail price is SEK 11 434 plus shipping. For one speaker! They are sold individually.

3. I will be open with all improvements I make to these speakers and hope that everyone else will do the same. I believe their potential is huge.
Erik

Post by Erik »

I am running in a pair since last Friday.
They are very special and even if numb, bass shy, and a bit odd out of the box, it's easy to focus on the music instead of the shortcomings in sound. They have improved and I really look forward to do the mods and get a decent (or actually top notch) stand from Linnofil.

/Erik
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

Very interesting! Thank you for the pictures, it's nice to see what they look like.
How much do they weigh?
christian

Post by christian »

DelNaja wrote:How much do they weigh?
About 40 Kg + stands.
Kind regards
Christian
Erik

Post by Erik »

DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

christian wrote:
DelNaja wrote:How much do they weigh?
About 40 Kg + stands.
Thanks!

And thank you, Erik, for the link!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I do not know this speaker but from what I have read it most be the same kind of sound I am looking for. This is really interesting. I look at it this way: Sit in front of a band (bas, drums, guitar, keyboard and vokal) and listen to them playing. Go home and listen to a recording on your hifi and it should give you the same feeling.
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

That is very much the feeling you get from 3677, beck! Hard to describe, but it makes other loudspeakers sound like polite HiFi.

This addictive "live" character is however nothing that would interest me if the sound wasn't musical. The real surprise to me is that 3677 are so extremely musical.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

A few hard core enthusiasts have discussed 3677 a lot during 6months. It all started when Jajo got a pair (actually three speakers) to his home theatre.
He started a thread on his findings.

I admit I was sceptical, but as I highly trust Jajo I knew he was into something really interesting.
Some weeks later Fredrik visited him and Fredrik's reports were encouraging. Very much so.

FF a month and Christian got himself a pair.
Now it was three guys raving about them! And these guys belong to a very small group of peopleI really trust. All of them very honest, without hidden agenda and a great understand evaluating musicality using tune dem.

Well, I visited Christian and that was it. I placed my order.
I clearly heard a huge potential, even if the performance wasn't great yet (more on that later)

Linnofil visited Christian and gave a big thumbs up. He is not easily impressed due to his total commitment to tunedem.

I have my 3677's running since 20days and they sound great now, better than my 242mkI.
Warning! they will sound very bad the first days. Stiff, no bass, no dynamics, high frequencies that destroy your ears. But give them HARD beating 24/7 and after 2weeks it's heavenly good.
I took these 2 weeks to better my 242's.
The keep improving over time. Great midbass but almost no deep bass at all. In comparison my 242 going real deep. (itself no bass monster)
When playing a deep bass line the sound suddenly disappear when going (too) low, just to get back when the bass line is higher in frequency again.
However the 3677 is going deeper and deeper over time. But they will never go as low as many of you likely demand. So prepare yourself for a huge JBL sub :)

Some going to say they big and ugly - I just love the no nonsense design! Like the old days when a speaker was all about performance and not design. Refreshing.

After years of begging Linn to produce a "back to basic" speaker, without anyone listening, I'm happy to report that my quest for a great speaker has ended.
As many of you know, I have searched for years and years. Ever since I sold my Komri's (stupid me)

To be honest, I'm almost as exited as when I first heard a LP12. Yes, they are that good!
Who would believe that anybody else than Linn would produce a killer speaker?
It's all about musical understanding!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Is there a Linn speaker that has a sound that reminds you of this JBL?
Playing cd’s…………
Erik

Post by Erik »

beck wrote:Is there a Linn speaker that has a sound that reminds you of this JBL?
Not even close.

/Erik
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Has someone compared the 3677 to its bigger brother, the 3678?

Matt
Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik »

Jan, how are they in comparison with Keltik/Komri?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I really like the comment by Lejonklou about the JBL making other speakers sound like polite hifi! It is in perfect line with my kind of thinking about hifi in general and what should be the real goal for a music system at home.
Playing cd’s…………
christian

Post by christian »

beck wrote:I really like the comment by Lejonklou about the JBL making other speakers sound like polite hifi! It is in perfect line with my kind of thinking about hifi in general and what should be the real goal for a music system at home.
I agree with this and I think the main reason is that people normally don't want speakers at home looking like the JBL 3677.

With the Tundra Stereo I can play louder than my ears can stand and at the same time I can enjoy music at very low levels since dynamics and the whole range is hearable at very low levels. Great for party and great for midnight sessions.
Kind regards
Christian
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Keltik is a not as musical as 242, so not as good as 3677 either. Keltik has SLAM and deep bass but lack the precision in 3677. (or in 242 as well, even if I consider 3677 a lot more precise)
I prefer GREAT control and musicality as in 242 and 3677.
3677 has SLAM in the mid bass!
But bass junkies should consider a sub.
242 goes lower than 3677.

Without a direct comparison it's hard to judge but 3677 is the only speaker that I really REALLY like, except Komri.
3677 lack the deepest bass but I wouldn't change to Komri for many reasons. As you know, I prefer a simple configuration to eliminate the need of a complex speaker X-over PLUS the potential enhancing the performance is bigger in a simple design.

DISCLAIMER
Only heard 3677 with Tundra Stereo/Mono so I cant judge how they will perform with less good input signal.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Music Lover wrote:Keltik is a not as musical as 242, so not as good as 3677 either. Keltik has SLAM and deep bass but lack the precision in 3677. (or in 242 as well, even if I consider 3677 a lot more precise)
I prefer GREAT control and musicality as in 242 and 3677.
3677 has SLAM in the mid bass!
But bass junkies should consider a sub.
242 goes lower than 3677.

Without a direct comparison it's hard to judge but 3677 is the only speaker that I really REALLY like, except Komri.
3677 lack the deepest bass but I wouldn't change to Komri for many reasons. As you know, I prefer a simple configuration to eliminate the need of a complex speaker X-over PLUS the potential enhancing the performance is bigger in a simple design.
How would you guess the quantity of bass compared to M140s with the 2db bass cut? Difficult question, I know. Just trying to get an idea if 3677 is nearer a stand mount in the amount of bass it delivers. I prefer sloppy bass to no bass :) so stand mounts are no good for me, plus they often sound a bit compressed and less relaxed to me.
christian

Post by christian »

Charlie1 wrote: How would you guess the quantity of bass compared to M140s with the 2db bass cut? Difficult question, I know. Just trying to get an idea if 3677 is nearer a stand mount in the amount of bass it delivers. I prefer sloppy bass to no bass :) so stand mounts are no good for me, plus they often sound a bit compressed and less relaxed to me.
When I moved the filters outside the speakers and changes the cables to K400 it had a great impact on the bass and on the overall size feeling of the speaker. When Linnofil first came to my house he said something like “It is strange to see that 15 inch unit and hear a 5 inch unit playing” Next listening session the filers had been moved and we also tested the new stands he concluded “Now I can both see and hear a 15 inch unit”

I have had the MAjik 140 and I would say that this is a whole different thing. It might be that the M140 goes a few Hz deeper (not sure about this) but with the 3677 you have a whole different musicality especially in the bass region. On familiar recordings I actually hear bass lines that was hidden before and you can really feel the size of especially acoustic bass instruments like an upright bass. Great slam and no compression what so ever in the bass region!

An interesting thing is that different recordings sound so different from each other with this speaker, as if the speaker has no own character at all and just brings out what is on the recording. That means that on some recordings you feel a lack of bass but on others there are lots of bass.

Another interesting thing is that when you are outside the listening room you can hear that there in fact are playing lots of bass inside of there but when you get in you sometimes don’t feel that way. I think this is an effect from the horn being very dynamic really pushing the music forward so you don’t really focus on the bass.
Kind regards
Christian
christian

Post by christian »

I might also add that previous speakers in my room with lots of bass has been Espek and ATCscm50a. In term of quantity ATC had the most but in terms of Quality I feel the JBls are superior.
Kind regards
Christian
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Charlie1 wrote: How would you guess the quantity of bass compared to M140s with the 2db bass cut? Difficult question, I know. Just trying to get an idea if 3677 is nearer a stand mount in the amount of bass it delivers. I prefer sloppy bass to no bass :) so stand mounts are no good for me, plus they often sound a bit compressed and less relaxed to me.
I'm fully convinced that after a demo with 3677's, you going to sell your M140's in an instant!
The performance 3677 can deliver in the bass region is really good.
ok, they will not go as low but I'm sure you doesn't mind that handicap considering the superior performance over 140's :)

(Owned 140's, 242's and Komri's and used them in same room where now a 3677 making some noise)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Music Lover wrote:I'm fully convinced that after a demo with 3677's, you going to sell your M140's in an instant!
The performance 3677 can deliver in the bass region is really good.
ok, they will not go as low but I'm sure you doesn't mind that handicap considering the superior performance over 140's :)

(Owned 140's, 242's and Komri's and used them in same room where now a 3677 making some noise)
Thanks ML. Do they offer similar bass to 212s then?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

christian wrote:
When I moved the filters outside the speakers and changes the cables to K400 it had a great impact on the bass and on the overall size feeling of the speaker. When Linnofil first came to my house he said something like “It is strange to see that 15 inch unit and hear a 5 inch unit playing” Next listening session the filers had been moved and we also tested the new stands he concluded “Now I can both see and hear a 15 inch unit”

I have had the MAjik 140 and I would say that this is a whole different thing. It might be that the M140 goes a few Hz deeper (not sure about this) but with the 3677 you have a whole different musicality especially in the bass region. On familiar recordings I actually hear bass lines that was hidden before and you can really feel the size of especially acoustic bass instruments like an upright bass. Great slam and no compression what so ever in the bass region!

An interesting thing is that different recordings sound so different from each other with this speaker, as if the speaker has no own character at all and just brings out what is on the recording. That means that on some recordings you feel a lack of bass but on others there are lots of bass.

Another interesting thing is that when you are outside the listening room you can hear that there in fact are playing lots of bass inside of there but when you get in you sometimes don’t feel that way. I think this is an effect from the horn being very dynamic really pushing the music forward so you don’t really focus on the bass.
Thanks Christian. I'd certainly like to hear these speakers.
christian

Post by christian »

Hi
I have made a recording using my iPhone so quality is of course really bad but it might give you an idea of how it sounds. On all these tracks the bass response is my room is quite heavy.

You can download the clip here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/352 ... G_0005.MOV
Kind regards
Christian
christian

Post by christian »

Charlie1 wrote: Thanks ML. Do they offer similar bass to 212s then?
I used to have 212 and JBL 3677 produce much more in terms of quantity, deeper and more musical bass than 212. 212 is not even close.
Kind regards
Christian