Klångedang T1 - sensational loudspeakers!

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote:...the same as "series crossover"
Aha! I must have misunderstood the term Constant Voltage Crossover.

Will do some reading when time permits.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

magnuska wrote:Would be interesting to hear how your listeningroom looks like in terms of size and if you have done some acoustic treatment to it apart from "normal" furnitures. If you have covered this before in another thread I apologise.
It's close to 4 by 6 metres and the T1's stand against a long wall, made of concrete. No room treatment, apart from my favourite: Bookshelves! Mostly vinyl and then a couple of books. One sofa, one chair and a tiny old rug.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

lejonklou wrote:I just upgraded my T1's to the latest version. Some components are replaced in the filter and the cabinet's damping is changed a tiny bit. I will return with a report later, but so far I like what I hear!
I have to admit that I have a problem with the latest version of the Simply Hard Wire filter for Klångedang T1: I think the previous version (1.33) is better! The new version 2.2 sounds bigger and in a way more impressive, but at least in my room it's less musical.

I've given it almost a month, so it's unlikely to be a burn-in problem. I've also double checked all parts and that I've assembled it right. Tomorrow I'm going back to version 1.33 and then I intend to fine tune some component values to see whether it can be improved further. I don't yet know whether that fine tuning is in reality an adaption to my room - I'll check that later.
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

lejonklou wrote:
lejonklou wrote:I just upgraded my T1's to the latest version. Some components are replaced in the filter and the cabinet's damping is changed a tiny bit. I will return with a report later, but so far I like what I hear!
I have to admit that I have a problem with the latest version of the Simply Hard Wire filter for Klångedang T1: I think the previous version (1.33) is better! The new version 2.2 sounds bigger and in a way more impressive, but at least in my room it's less musical.

I've given it almost a month, so it's unlikely to be a burn-in problem. I've also double checked all parts and that I've assembled it right. Tomorrow I'm going back to version 1.33 and then I intend to fine tune some component values to see whether it can be improved further. I don't yet know whether that fine tuning is in reality an adaption to my room - I'll check that later.
Hi Fredrik,

For me the 2,2 version is better, with a cleaner sound. For me it feels more right, I call it more "musical" now.
When I got this upgrade wich included the new cat sand filling, I had to evaluate this as well. This turned out to to be VERY important for me. I settled for 4+ 1 bag. (According to Anders this is what you have too?)

I have a semidamped laminated wooden floor. So after some weeks I tried also to move the speaker further away from wall which I also found better.

Hope you will find a solution in your room! Please let us know how it goes.

Magnus
Sonore Mr streamer/Teddy Powersupply/Didit DAC 212/ Teddy PR/MB100 Rega P 3/Slipsik Klångedang T1
Erik

Post by Erik »

I had the opportunity to borrow Fredriks filters v 2.2 and for me it was a big step backwards. They were much cleaner sounding with a bigger soundstage and more details and I was impressed from the start, BUT they were less musical and engaging. It became boring to listen and I wasn't emotionally dragged into the music as I'm used to.
Swapping back was a relief even if it soundness was worse.
christian

Post by christian »

Hi
I made the upgrade after Anders at Tonläget was at my home with his pair of demo filters. We did some comparisons and I thought that the version 2.2 was clearly better. As did Anders. I have now lived with the upgrade for some months and still feel that I was an upgrade.
Kind regards
Christian
magnuska

Re: Klångedang T1 - sensational loudspeakers!

Post by magnuska »

Some news and upcoming version 3

I am allowed to share som news with this forum.

Version 3 is now in its Beta stage. This version focus is mainly on improving the external crossover. The present SHW will not be developed anymore but replaced by a reference model built as stereoversion in one wooden box , instead of 2 smaller plastic boxes now.

According to Anders this reference external filter will be like a "turbo" effect for the speaker , sounds like it could be good.

There will also be a " budget" crossover called Origo placed in the same plastic boxes as before. The Origo is now working fine with a NEW speaker stand filling consisting of thin wood chips or splint ( don`t know the exact translation) . Every stand will only have this wood chips instead- heavily packed , less cat- sand hopefully or eventually a combination is required depending on the floor.

No prices out yet for the reference filter.

Magnus
Sonore Mr streamer/Teddy Powersupply/Didit DAC 212/ Teddy PR/MB100 Rega P 3/Slipsik Klångedang T1
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

magnuska wrote:Some news and upcoming version 3
I am allowed to share som news with this forum.
Version 3 is now in its Beta stage. This version focus is mainly on improving the external crossover. The present SHW will not be developed anymore but replaced by a reference model built as stereoversion in one wooden box , instead of 2 smaller plastic boxes now.
According to Anders this reference external filter will be like a "turbo" effect for the speaker , sounds like it could be good.
Magnus
Magnus,
that is good news.
Thanks for sharing.

Matt
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

magnuska wrote:Version 3 is now in its Beta stage. This version focus is mainly on improving the external crossover. The present SHW will not be developed anymore but replaced by a reference model built as stereoversion in one wooden box , instead of 2 smaller plastic boxes now.
No prices out yet for the reference filter.
At March 18th, the Klangedang Reference Crossover will be demonstrated at Tonlaget with Tundra Mono2.

Matt
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote:At March 18th, the Klangedang Reference Crossover will be demonstrated at Tonlaget with Tundra Mono2.
Well... If the reference crossover for T1 is ready and performs significantly better than Simply Hard Wire, it's likely I'll use it on the demonstration of Tundra Mono versus Tundra Mono 2. And after that I have a little surprise.

No demonstration of crossovers is planned, as I doubt there will be enough time for it.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:Well... If the reference crossover for T1 is ready and performs significantly better than Simply Hard Wire, it's likely I'll use it on the demonstration of Tundra Mono versus Tundra Mono 2.
Fredrik,
do you know whether the Reference XO is like SHW a "series crossover" too?

Matt
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote:Fredrik,
do you know whether the Reference XO is like SHW a "series crossover" too?
I know nothing about it yet.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Now I know: It is!

But it's still a work in progress, so when it will be released is uncertain.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:Now I know: It is!
But it's still a work in progress, so when it will be released is uncertain.
Thanks,
a very good decision to stay with a series crossover!

Matt
Erik

Post by Erik »

Inspired and encouraged by Christian, i changed the internal damping in the stands to wood shavings. A very worthwhile upgrade almost for free. Better flow and more music. I really appreciate Anders for continuing to develop the already amazing speakers.
I didn't change to the latest filters as I found them inferior to the previous ones, but this upgrade is only to recommend.

/Erik
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Any news to report on the new and highly anticipated Reference XO filters for Klangedang T1?

Tell us.

Cheers,

Marco
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Erik

Post by Erik »

Erik wrote:Inspired and encouraged by Christian, i changed the internal damping in the stands to wood shavings. A very worthwhile upgrade almost for free. Better flow and more music. I really appreciate Anders for continuing to develop the already amazing speakers.
I didn't change to the latest filters as I found them inferior to the previous ones, but this upgrade is only to recommend.

/Erik
I'm back! According to dampening in the stands.
Wood shavings fooled me by giving a very open and lively sound. Fredrik described it as presence, a very accurate description. A lot of music seemed fresh again, even if the feeling sometimes seemed to have disagreed.
Swapping back immediately confirmed the musical superiority of having litter as damping.

/Erik
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

mrco99 wrote:Any news to report on the new and highly anticipated Reference XO filters for Klangedang T1?
Herd them the other week.
Simply awesome! (for being an enhancement that late in the chain)
Still a long way from production as he going to continue the R/D process. To that add time for casework and production.
So going to take LONG time...
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have tried wood shavings as well and it's good. But the litter is clearly more musically correct and meaningful in my opinion.

Yesterday at Tonläget we listened to three different filters: The latest Simply Hard Wire, the prototype of the new Reference filter and a parallel filter which Anders has made to see how good it could be.

The Reference filter is on a Tundra footprint-sized piece of solid wood (spruce?) with components positioned wider apart and an extra eq added that "tames" a small bump in the midrange. Anders said this eq might need some more fine tuning.

The reference filter makes the T1's sound bigger and more relaxed. There's room for all instruments, instead of some dominating. At times I thought the benefits were more on sound than on the music, but I hope that when he's done they will both be significantly improved.

The parallel filter was superficially impressive and musically dead in my opinion. It made the T1's perform like an ordinary speaker. A small one, two-way, on stands. Doesn't sound very interesting, does it? Well, it was a good two way monitor. Back on the current SHW filter, the magical musical flow returned. That which makes T1 much more than a good monitor. And on the Reference filter, T1 grew to a floor stander.
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

Thank you all for describing your experiences with the new crossovers yesterday. More details are welcome if you can.
I´m very corious to hear them too. First of all I hope for an improvement with the wood shavings in the stands - for you who done this upgrade. Is it any particular shavings or did you just buy some from the local store? ( Granngården may have some?)

Magnus
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Thanks Fredrik for sharing your impressions!

To summarise, in your view:

1. Parallel filters are clearly worse than the current serial ones
2. The new Reference filters are showing great potential to the current Simply Hard Wire ones, but need further development/fine tuning.

Which version of the SHW filters were you listening at?
Is there any indication when the Reference filters may be ready for official launch?
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

mrco99 wrote:To summarise, in your view:

1. Parallel filters are clearly worse than the current serial ones
No. The parallel filter we listened to yesterday was the worst of the three. I'm not claiming anything general regarding these technologies.
2. The new Reference filters are showing great potential to the current Simply Hard Wire ones, but need further development/fine tuning.

Which version of the SHW filters were you listening at?
Is there any indication when the Reference filters may be ready for official launch?
Yes it showed promise. Anders says he's not done with it and couldn't say when it would be ready.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Fredrik,

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I also meant 'the (actual) parallel filter' instead of parallel filters in general....

Cheers,

Marco
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The 1st of October at 7 pm, Anders will be demoing his new filters for my favourite loudspeaker Klångedang T1 at Tonläget in Gothenburg.

The new filter, housed in a big wooden box is called Referens. The old ones that I'm using have now finally been named Synkron.

Anders will be demoing with a fully loaded LP12, Sagatun Mono's and Tundra Mono's.

I can't wait to hear this system! The only question is how to reschedule my current plans so that I can be in Gothenburg on the 1st.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

For info
A third "budget" filter is in the making as well according to Anders, but that is a future project.
Likely rather few will opt for that so it's not priority...

PS
Heard the new reference filter in a pre-beta version a few months ago and it was great!!
It's all about musical understanding!