Why ALL that difference between two DS?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Yes the keltiks are aktiv, but i forgot to say the headphone was connected to my computer, not to the DS, to check if the file was ok.
I will try with headphones connected to the DS.
But the same amp and speaker made me hear the keyboard perfectly with the kds...
ADS/D Kinos 2xA4200/D Keltiks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Listened to the track just now (thanks for the tip!) and the keyboard is mainly in the right channel. This makes me suspect you could possibly have some left-right channel mixup somewhere in the system.

But then you say that in the same system, they keyboard can be heard with KDS but not at all with your ADS. Can you do a left-right channel check with some test file, just making sure both DS's are playing both channels?
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Ho Lejonklou,
I am pretty sure they are both working stereo, I can hear the right speaker play.
I will try some tests as soon as I am back from a short business trip.
Maybe inverting the cables and other things, will Let you know asap!
WIJI

Post by WIJI »

Just wondering if you could borrow a preamp to see if that helps ?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I think WIJI may be onto something. It appears that you are not using a preamp. It is widely felt that the digital volume control in the DS units is not very good. Interestingly, this is because a digital volume control works by throwing away bits - and maybe your piano!

Most with ears I trust find the DS units reproduce the music better when run through a good analog preamp such as a Klimax Kontrol, Akurate Kontrol or Lejonklou Kikkin. It is also fairly common knowledge that Linn put a lot of work into making the digital volume control in the Akurate DSM and especially the Klimax DSM work in a more musical manner. As newer DACs keep on increasing resolution it is possible some of that resolution can reduce the bits removed by a digital volume control making it lose less music. But regardless of how they did it it is supposed to be better. The combination of a superior DS with more resolution and more musical capability combined with a reworked and superior digital volume control could account for the difference in audibility of the piano.

Certainly worth a try to connect your ADS to a good preamp.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ADSM and KDSM have a hybrid volume control; both analogue and digital. The other Linn DS units have only a digital volume.
fredrik

Post by fredrik »

lejonklou wrote:ADSM and KDSM have a hybrid volume control; both analogue and digital. The other Linn DS units have only a digital volume.
I think you are incorrect regarding KDSM when it comes to streaming sources. My information is that the KDSM volume control is 100% digital.
lunch

Post by lunch »

fredrik wrote:
lejonklou wrote:ADSM and KDSM have a hybrid volume control; both analogue and digital. The other Linn DS units have only a digital volume.
I think you are incorrect regarding KDSM when it comes to streaming sources. My information is that the KDSM volume control is 100% digital.
I believe this to be correct, too.
In addition, my MDSI has an analog volume control. This may possibly apply to the MDSM, too (?)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Aha!

Thanks for the information, fredrik and lunch!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Based on what I've read the KDSM uses a strictly digital volume control for all digital sources because it "has lower distortion and noise" than an analog control. Linn feel that they have developed the digital volume control in the KDSM far enough that there was no need to have any analog circuitry involved with this function. The analog volume control in the KDSM only functions on the analog input. Too bad they didn't design it so the customer could choose their preferred volume control.

In the ADSM there is a hybrid volume control for digital sources and an analog volume control for analog sources. For digital sources the overall volume control is digital but you can switch in either 15dB or 25dB of analog attenuation so that you can keep the digital control in the most linear range for your typical listening levels. Apparently this means they kept the digital high-zoot volume control for the KDSM.

As far as I know the MDSM volume control is all analog but I'm less sure of that.

Does this mean that the volume controls actually get worse as you go up in price? ;-)
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Hello all,
I must thank Lejonklou for his suggestion.
The Ads has two outputs, A and B, and switching from A to B the problem was solved and I had my keboard back.
The curious thing is that I also tried reconnecting the A out and then It worked also that way...
Cable connection issue? Sounds a bit strange...
I also had the doubt that I could have connected both the L and R amps to the two R channels (of A and B outputs), but also trying that way the keyboard was udible (and with two Left too)...
So I do not know what to say except to thank all of you for your help!