Akurate Kontrol II
Linn AV2250 power amp Dynamiked
Sennheiser headphone amp

Speakers
Linn Akurate 242 new stands
Split K400
REL Strata 5 subwoofer
Sennheiser HD800
Last edited by Per A on 2014-10-27 18:26, edited 23 times in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Per!

You've got quite an interesting setup with those ATC's in the Linn system. Now heading for an AT-OC9 too, I read.

I'd like to ask you what you think of the HD600 headphones and the Headroom Max amp. Any comments on those would be appreciated.

I am trying to find some good headphones (which I find very difficult!) and the best possible headphone amp to see what the market has to offer in the non-portable high quality headphone area.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Interesting system - I certainly endorse the Linn/ATC setup. :mrgreen:

I have never done any serious listening to the AT OC9II but in the couple of times I've setup up turntables with them they certainly sounded decent - especially for the money. I've never heard the Headroom amp or the HD600s either. So far the best I've heard in headphones have been some Grado GS1000s and an older pair of Stax Lambda electrostats. I haven't heard any of their newer models though.

Good luck with the turntable upgrades.
Per A

The Senns

Post by Per A »

Well I got the HD600s many years ago when I had a Kolektor preamp which as you know has a headphone jack. It was totally useless so they sat in their box mostly.

Then I read about Musical Fidelity's X-can and even blew some money by trying to buy one off a guy, as it turned out, in prison. Never saw that amp in my home...

But I tried it in shops good, but something still missing. I ordered a German one that was praised on some forums, it was so boring I returned it. Than I found that a shop displayed the Max which was surprising since Headroom doesn't have representation in Sweden. I tried i against MF X-can v3 and a Rega. There was no contest and I got the Max for good price.

Now the HD600 came alive and the next thing I ordered Cardas cabling for them. That was about five years ago and I am still happy.

They triggered my separation from Linn speakers because I heard so much stuff my Kabers never let through, however much I spent on upgrading for them.
Now I would give their balanced Desktop amp consideration which has SMPS!

All the best
Per A

Gamut amp

Post by Per A »

Tomorrow I am collecting a power amp I bought second hand. I am taking a chance here since I have never heard it.
Gamut D200 i supposed to work fine with ATC speakers.

http://www.rayofsound.com/muscle.d200_review.html
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Found some positive reviews for the Gamut D200 power amplifier 8) . If you purchase this power amplifier, let us know how it performs :!: Have fun...
Tony Tune-age
Per A

Post by Per A »

This month I have had two experiences that to me perfectly demonstrates what tunefulness is.
First I went and bought new headphones for my tiny iPod shuffle, I still use the one in a metal casing with a clip and a round button. I tried three of Grado's models: SR 60, SR80 and SR325i(?) in rising order of cost. They were really very good at getting details and playing a good bass to and they do carry the tunes to me. And what is so amazing is the way they are driven by the small ipod amp. :-) The 325s were great but much too expensive to walk about town in. I settled for the 80's which were about 130 euros. Not cheap but very good much much better than the Koss Porta pros I thought I would buy.
Second I have tried the Gamut D200 power amp to drive my ATC 20s and compared it to my Linn 2250. The first evening I was very enthusiastic about the details and layers and soundstage they brought. Such precision and authority. Next evening, after some more listening I played a song with this amp and then repeated it this time through my headphone amp and my Sennheiser HD600 and it was much more fun. :-) I then switched back to the Linn amp and had the same experience.
This amp brought out stuff I think only a Klimax in the Linn family could produce but what it did not play in terms of tune and feelings of joy or sadness was unforgivable. :( The Gamut is not for me.
Next I will probably bi-amp my speakers with a second 2250.
It also told me how impossible it is reading advice by somebody you don't know anything about. I felt after reading this amp was good with my speakers it would be fine especially as it said tunefulness was part of it.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi Per - what about a 4200 without Dynamik instead of another 2250? Then sell the existing 2250? Only say this cos I thought 2250s were not that cheap to buy... And if your 2250 already has Dynamik then it could be moved across to a 4200. Just a thought and maybe a good time to buy old-style Akurate power amps.
Per A

Post by Per A »

Yes I will see what turns up. My 2250 has no Dynamik.
christian

Post by christian »

Per A wrote:This month I have had two experiences that to me perfectly demonstrates what tunefulness is.
First I went and bought new headphones for my tiny iPod shuffle, I still use the one in a metal casing with a clip and a round button. I tried three of Grado's models: SR 60, SR80 and SR325i(?) in rising order of cost. They were really very good at getting details and playing a good bass to and they do carry the tunes to me. And what is so amazing is the way they are driven by the small ipod amp. :-) The 325s were great but much too expensive to walk about town in. I settled for the 80's which were about 130 euros. Not cheap but very good much much better than the Koss Porta pros I thought I would buy.
Second I have tried the Gamut D200 power amp to drive my ATC 20s and compared it to my Linn 2250. The first evening I was very enthusiastic about the details and layers and soundstage they brought. Such precision and authority. Next evening, after some more listening I played a song with this amp and then repeated it this time through my headphone amp and my Sennheiser HD600 and it was much more fun. :-) I then switched back to the Linn amp and had the same experience.
This amp brought out stuff I think only a Klimax in the Linn family could produce but what it did not play in terms of tune and feelings of joy or sadness was unforgivable. :( The Gamut is not for me.
Next I will probably bi-amp my speakers with a second 2250.
It also told me how impossible it is reading advice by somebody you don't know anything about. I felt after reading this amp was good with my speakers it would be fine especially as it said tunefulness was part of it.
I had the same experience a few months ago when I tried the Denon DL-304 MC cartridge, I guess you read about it on Selleri. The cartridge was also recommended by quite a few people.
Instead of buying more amplifiers; have you thought about the active models from ATC?
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Per A wrote:I have tried the Gamut D200 power amp to drive my ATC 20s and compared it to my Linn 2250. The first evening I was very enthusiastic about the details and layers and soundstage they brought. Such precision and authority. Next evening, after some more listening I played a song with this amp and then repeated it this time through my headphone amp and my Sennheiser HD600 and it was much more fun. :-) I then switched back to the Linn amp and had the same experience.
Interesting listening results, thanks for sharing your findings... 8) It really pays to conduct listening tests before purchasing stereo components (if possible), instead of just reading audio reviews.
Tony Tune-age
Per A

Post by Per A »

Christian, yes I owned their smallest active 10-2 and it was fantastic but the SCM 20 SL are much more refined. I suppose the active version of my speakers are even better sounding but I don't really like their amps because they get very hot and consumes a ridiculous amount of electric power, 350 W per channel at least and that whether playing or idling.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

350 Watts per channel?? They could practically heat your room during the coldest winter, then.
Erik

Post by Erik »

They are 350W with 2/3 in class A giving roughly 100W idling for the three way speakers. Active 20s got a 250W amp idling at ~75W.

Erik
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Erik is much more accurate on the power draw. According to the ATC website the three way speakers draw 90 Watts nominal (I assume that means at idle but it could be at normal usage levels) and 350 Watts driven. Whatever the terminology it is safe to say it wouldn't use more than 90 Watts at idle. Power draw on the two way units should be somewhat less than this.
Per A

Post by Per A »

I admit not to have checked those figures but they were hot but cooled when played loudly. I thought class A had the implication that each nominal Watt is spent whether playing or not. But then I read ATC amps are class A up to 96 dB. Not sure exactly what that means. The 2250 is difficult to heat up with normal volumes :)
Per A

Post by Per A »

On the other hands there are always the sources to consider. :?
Radikal or an Akurate DS or even a Majik DS. I think the MDS would be fun.

Or I may lay off a while and buy some more music :) and give some Christmas gifts.
Per A

Post by Per A »

I gave myself (and my family) the treat of a brand new Akurate DS and it is fantastic. I have listened to it for about one hour through speakers and headphones and it is so much better than the Sneaky it replaced.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Great upgrade...

I hope you'll have time to enjoy lots of music over Christmas!
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

To go with your newest toy, I'd recommend Trans-Siberian Orchestras' "The Lost Christmas Eve" for a day coming soon. "Christmas Nights in Blue" is a new sound worthy of a new source.

Merry Christmas to you and all.
Per A

Post by Per A »

I will check out TSO for sure.

It was after re-reading about source first on this forum that I took the plunge. No car-upgrades 2011.

Thanks all for the most inspiring hifi community.

Merry Christmas
Per A

bi-amp test

Post by Per A »

Last week I borrowed a Akurate 4200 power amp from my friendly shop to finally try and bi-amp my passive ATC SCM 20. They have four posts where you normally connect the two reds and blacks.

First I used two channels and noted straight away that it was superior to the 2250 that way. Then all four channels and yes there was distinctly an improvement in instrument separation. Everything was clearer the bass easy to follow etc.

But in the end I decided that the diference was not worth the money for now. And on returning it I spoke to the shop and found out what I did not know before that the Akurate Kontrol was reconstructed same time as the ADS. That would be more fun I think though not less money.

Meanwhile I am pleased by the Davaar upgrade.

I have never heard a better system than my own!
Per A

Post by Per A »

Tonight I finally tightened the 8 screws on each ATC speaker and wow such crisp clarity.
They were quite loose but just half a turn felt rigtht not having any other torque measuring than my arm.
Now Little Feat plays Willin' even better.
Per A

Intriguing movie

Post by Per A »

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Cheesy video, but I like the look of that loudspeaker.

Honest design, not trying to look like anything but a big floorstanding loudspeaker.