Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Lejonklou Tundra

Post by lejonklou »

Split from "Power amp name suggestions"

/Az

There has been a "leak" on the Swedish Linn forum (Selleri) after I played my final proto power amplifier over a pair of Linn Komri loudspeakers last week. It was also briefly compared to a pair of Linn Solo power amps, the outcome of which I won't comment.

The power amp soon to be released is called Lejonklou Tundra. In terms of quality, it's like nothing you've heard before. In terms of quantity, it's medium power.

Final price is not set, but a rough estimate is around 30.000 SEK (=3300€=£2900=$4700).
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

Tundra how cool.

I like the name. Any story to go with it?

Edit: now that Songcaster works with DSs needle drops are starting to make sense to me. How about an audio clip with the correct pronunciation of Lejonklou ? No two people I have met have pronounced it the same.
ocoro02

Post by ocoro02 »

This sounds like it could be my dream amp! Really looking forward to seeing/hearing it.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

For those of you curious about the thread on Selleri - here is a link through Google translate.

Lejonklou Tundra on Selleri.de
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

When will there be a demo in the Gothenburg region? I can not wait to hear it!

I can also see a serious project on the horizon as I now will have to put together a tune-box to put the active filters in.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

WELL DONE Fredrik!
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

SaltyDog wrote:Tundra how cool.

I like the name. Any story to go with it?
Thanks!

It comes from a cold country (designed, manufactured and assembled in Sweden and Estonia, each unit then fine tuned and checked with music by me before it's shipped). And there's Tune in it!
hcl wrote:When will there be a demo in the Gothenburg region? I can not wait to hear it!

I can also see a serious project on the horizon as I now will have to put together a tune-box to put the active filters in.
Working with the manufacturing of it right now. While I'd really wish it could be ready before Christmas, I'd rather double check everything one time too many and be late with the release, than rush and then wake up realising I've made a mistake somewhere.

Good that you mentioned active filters, because I forgot to mention that Tundra won't take any active filter cards inside. I also won't be making any Tunebox for Linn's aktiv filters, but will concentrate fully on building my own brand.
ocoro02

Post by ocoro02 »

Hi Fredrik - in the translation from Swedish on the Selleri forum, you say the Tundra is in a 'big box'. Can you tell us how big it's likely to be? I'm hoping we're not talking *too* big!
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Lejonklou Tundra

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote:There has been a "leak" on the Swedish Linn forum (Selleri) after I played my final proto power amplifier over a pair of Linn Komri loudspeakers last week. It was also briefly compared to a pair of Linn Solo power amps, the outcome of which I won't comment.

The power amp soon to be released is called Lejonklou Tundra. In terms of quality, it's like nothing you've heard before. In terms of quantity, it's medium power.

Final price is not set, but a rough estimate is around 30.000 SEK (=3300€=£2900=$4700).
Goods news for sure Lejonklou, look forward to learning more! Nice product name and the story behind it too!
Tony Tune-age
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: The power amp soon to be released is called Lejonklou Tundra. In terms of quality, it's like nothing you've heard before.

Congratulations Fredrik,

in terms of quality the Tundra seems to be on a higher level than Kikkin. Do you have plans for a new preamp or an upgrade for Kikkin?

KR

matthias
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

lejonklou wrote:Good that you mentioned active filters, because I forgot to mention that Tundra won't take any active filter cards inside. I also won't be making any Tunebox for Linn's aktiv filters, but will concentrate fully on building my own brand.
Fredrik - Does this mean that you'll only ever support passive speakers, or that you anticipate creating your own aktiv box of some sort in future, just not using Linn cards? Thanks.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ocoro02 wrote:Can you tell us how big it's likely to be? I'm hoping we're not talking *too* big!
Not too big. Rather normal size.
matthias wrote:in terms of quality the Tundra seems to be on a higher level than Kikkin. Do you have plans for a new preamp or an upgrade for Kikkin?
A matching preamp would be nice, but there's nothing ready yet.

I have tried upgrading Kikkin to even higher performance, but the best sounding solution required cutting tracks, lots of wires and an extra board. This was not an upgrade that was practically possible. It's possible, however, that there will be further improvements made to Kikkin, beyond version 2.2. It's a matter of coming up with an idea that is not too difficult to implement.
rowlandhills wrote:Does this mean that you'll only ever support passive speakers, or that you anticipate creating your own aktiv box of some sort in future, just not using Linn cards?
Tundra can be used with passive or active loudspeakers. For modern Linn speakers, you can use their Klimax aktiv filters. For older models, they have their old Tunebox. Just like when using Linn Klimax power amps (Twin or Solo).

No plans to make any active filters at the moment. I've realised that I can only work with one project at a time, if I want the result to be spectacular.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Matching Preamp for Tundra

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: A matching preamp would be nice,..................
+1

KR
matthias
Last edited by matthias on 2011-11-08 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

lejonklou wrote:
rowlandhills wrote:Does this mean that you'll only ever support passive speakers, or that you anticipate creating your own aktiv box of some sort in future, just not using Linn cards?
Tundra can be used with passive or active loudspeakers. For modern Linn speakers, you can use their Klimax aktiv filters. For older models, they have their old Tunebox. Just like when using Linn Klimax power amps (Twin or Solo).

No plans to make any active filters at the moment. I've realised that I can only work with one project at a time, if I want the result to be spectacular.
Thanks. I hadn't thought of using the Klimax crossovers for the modern speakers.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

lejonklou wrote:A matching preamp would be nice, but there's nothing ready yet.

I have tried upgrading Kikkin to even higher performance, but the best sounding solution required cutting tracks, lots of wires and an extra board. This was not an upgrade that was practically possible. It's possible, however, that there will be further improvements made to Kikkin, beyond version 2.2. It's a matter of coming up with an idea that is not too difficult to implement.
Any idea why that is? For example, perhaps you need more circuit board to implement the better design or maybe the act of splitting circuits into two boards make an improvement.

Could you ever do the KK thing and have a dual-mono volume control?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Charlie1 wrote:Any idea why that is? For example, perhaps you need more circuit board to implement the better design or maybe the act of splitting circuits into two boards make an improvement.

Could you ever do the KK thing and have a dual-mono volume control?
An idea why the improved Kikkin became very complicated? It was because I made the design more complex. :) It wasn't dual mono, just other circuits which needed more components around them to work well. It became difficult to fit it all into the Kikkin enclosure.

I regard dual mono as an advantage, but not a major one. When looking at a complete design, there are always choices to make: Optimise this or optimise that. And dual mono can be in conflict with other parameters, which prove to have a stronger influence on final performance. It's like laying a puzzle, where dual mono is a piece that sometimes fits. If it does, I'll use it!
Last edited by lejonklou on 2011-11-13 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: It became difficult to fit it all into the Kikkin enclosure.
Fredrik,

what if you get rid of the Kikkin enclosure and design a new bigger, better and more expensive preamp for the Tundra ?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

One thing at a time, matthias! :)

When Tundra is released and every unit that leaves the lab is performing perfectly, I will dive into the next project.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:One thing at a time, matthias! :)

When Tundra is released and every unit that leaves the lab is performing perfectly, I will dive into the next project.
Thanks for clarification, so we hope for the matching preamp.....
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

lejonklou wrote: Final price is not set, but a rough estimate is around 30.000 SEK (=3300€=£2900=$4700).
Wow. If it can compete with Linn Solos and appeal to those who appreciate what Linn do, that's the sort of price that will have an impact. Very interesting. Even I could afford it, although the s/h market might be slow to develop (no-one will want to sell) :D
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

springwood64 wrote:
lejonklou wrote: Final price is not set, but a rough estimate is around 30.000 SEK (=3300€=£2900=$4700).
Wow. If it can compete with Linn Solos and appeal to those who appreciate what Linn do, that's the sort of price that will have an impact. Very interesting. Even I could afford it, although the s/h market might be slow to develop (no-one will want to sell) :D
I would really enjoy being able to compare the new Tundra power amplifiers with the Solo power amplifiers! Perhaps that will happen some day.
Tony Tune-age
minge

Post by minge »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
springwood64 wrote:
I would really enjoy being able to compare the new Tundra power amplifiers with the Solo power amplifiers! Perhaps that will happen some day.
This is very intressting was going to buy a A2200 to my Renew DS and AK/1 now it most defenetly going to be Tundra gotta hear it as soon as it is released hope soon?Pictures of it if possible also?
Mike
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Be sure to report back and let us know your thoughts, especially if you can compare them against the Linn amplifiers. The new Tundra power amplifiers have been mentioned on other forums already...major headlines.
Tony Tune-age
minge

Post by minge »

Tony Tune-age wrote:Be sure to report back and let us know your thoughts, especially if you can compare them against the Linn amplifiers. The new Tundra power amplifiers have been mentioned on other forums already...major headlines.
Any uppdates?

Mike
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The only update that I can give you, Mike, is that Tundra won't be released before Christmas. It will most likely take another month.