Linn 350 & 345

Moderator: Staff

bugi666
Very active member
Very active member

Linn 350 & 345

Post by bugi666 »

Looking for a pair of 350 for my friend. 350s in 350A or 350P version, non-exakt. Also, Linn 345 or Melodik would be ideal.
Last edited by bugi666 on 2018-05-25 12:13, edited 3 times in total.
Majik DS > CXA60 > crappy speakers...
Teemu

Re: Linn 242 or 350

Post by Teemu »

I have one pair Cherry Akurate 242 mk2 with silver 3k arrays and upgrade bases. Problem is, i live in Finland. I'm looking aktiv bookself speakers in my current listening place, maybe 320a:s or something. My Dynamiked twin is also for sale.
bugi666
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bugi666 »

Could you let me know the price including insured shipping to Scotland? Probably a bit risky, but all depends on the price.
Parker

Post by Parker »

I have 242s in rosenut with black arrays and black upgraded stands.
bugi666
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bugi666 »

Removed - looking only for 350s now.
bugi666
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn 350

Post by bugi666 »

Also, looking for Either Klimax 345 sub, or Melodik ... rare as white crows, I know ....
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn 350 & 345

Post by Tendaberry »

Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

That was a nice one!
It's all about musical understanding!
bugi666
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bugi666 »

The seller does not have any proof that this unit has been upgraded to Klimax spec. Also, it has been bought and upgraded in Italy (which might be true, no real reason not to trust the seller), so I have decided to pass and wait for some unit with a bit clearer history ;)
andrewchallis

Post by andrewchallis »

Hi,
Shame I was knowledge poor on this. Chap who bought the K345A knew how to test that the upgrade Artikulate to Kimax had been done (I will post later).
I do have pair of immaculate Black Ash K350A with grills, silver 3K array and silver bases, which might be available depending on suitable offer.
Boxes still with Peter Tyson and may be available?Bought from them as demonstrators in 2011.
Andrew
Briain

Post by Briain »

bugi666 wrote: 2018-07-06 17:29 The seller does not have any proof that this unit has been upgraded to Klimax spec. Also, it has been bought and upgraded in Italy (which might be true, no real reason not to trust the seller), so I have decided to pass and wait for some unit with a bit clearer history ;)
If you get overwhelmed with thousands of responses from people itchy to sell their Klimax spec 345s, please do let me know; I could do with another maple one (principally for a very cool bass experiment that having two 350s and two subs would facilitate). :-)

Back in the day, I upgraded my 345 to Klimax level, which just involved swapping the entire amp module (I still have the old one) and the job entailed removing the 4 screws (holding the module into the cabinet), sliding it out, removing the drive unit and servo cable connectors, then reversing that process to install the new module (so very easily done, even by a dealer who normally doesn't normally like to 'soil their hands' by doing technical stuff). I think the modules - when last on sale - were about £900, but the trouble is that the chip which does the roll off and level business was obsoleted (at the same time that Linn announced the end of their sub range).

One of reasons why I decided to upgrade my one was that if it went into standby (after about 15 minutes of no music playing, from memory) it made quite a loud thunk when it was woken back up by the playing of the first tune; not the end of the world, but when it occurred at late night social gatherings, for example, it gave everyone a bit of a surprise (it endangered waking them up) and Linn claimed that the only way to resolve it was to upgrade the module, so that nailed it for me and I bought the new module for it. Much later, I heard a rumour that not all Artikulate modules behaved like that (though that information could be incorrect) so the lack of a thunk maybe isn't a reliable proof of it being a Klimax specification module.

Bri

PS I've just bought an XLR interfaced two channel microphone preamp and two bass / kick drum microphones to further progress my experiments setting up the miniDSP filters to get the sub bass unit best phase tracking the lower bass units in the 350As (of course, it's a much longer story than just that, involving lovely deep tones, oscilloscopes, squiggly lines and gallons of wine)! :-)
andrewchallis

Post by andrewchallis »

Found it!

There is an easy way to ascertain if it is a Klimax. The Articulate did not have the phase insertion option in the settings. The Klimax has that. If you cycled through the settings, there should be a P for phase, after b and before t.

Hope this is of help to someone!

Andrew
Briain

Post by Briain »

andrewchallis wrote: 2019-02-19 13:13 Found it!

There is an easy way to ascertain if it is a Klimax. The Articulate did not have the phase insertion option in the settings. The Klimax has that. If you cycled through the settings, there should be a P for phase, after b and before t.

Hope this is of help to someone!

Andrew
Very well remembered, good Sir! I had completely forgotten that phase inversion was a feature absent from the Artikulate 345 modules, so that is indeed a great way to tell them apart (without the use of a screwdriver).

Incidentally, my module sits just outside of the back of the sub (atop a huge heat sink) and thus I can see the main label on the top of it (and stuck to that a sub-label which states the module's serial number and '345/K UPG').
andrewchallis

Post by andrewchallis »

Hi Briain,

I thought the label was the definitive and good to hear you have them easily visible(!), but was rather alarmed when they said modules were sent to Italy (in my case) but no guarantee about labels. I hope to speak with Cymbiosis today and might enquire from them what their arrangements are for dealer fitted upgrades regarding labels (as my Italian is zero and it was now some years ago the dealer fitted the modules!).

Andrew
teatime

Post by teatime »

Briain wrote: 2019-02-19 13:03...it made quite a loud thunk when it was woken back up by the playing of the first tune [...] Much later, I heard a rumour that not all Artikulate modules behaved like that (though that information could be incorrect) so the lack of a thunk maybe isn't a reliable proof of it being a Klimax specification module.
FWIW, I had an Artikulate 345 (together with 350s) for many years. It did not behave like that.