Market Rules

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Market Rules

Post by lejonklou »

The purpose of this section is to advertise hifi and related equipment that is for sale. The rules are simple: Only hifi things that can play a tune and related equipment, parts and services. Nothing else.

Retailers and shops are allowed to advertise, provided it is made perfectly clear who the seller is.

If the equipment for sale is also advertised elsewhere, please include information about that.

When your gear has been sold, we ask that you add *SOLD* to the beginning of the subject line and leave the ad with the selling price in the forum. It can serve as a guide for others to see what prices are common in the second hand market.

Lejonklou will not be held responsible for any transactions that take place after an ad has been placed here, unless the company is the seller or buyer.
Last edited by lejonklou on 2008-03-02 00:46, edited 1 time in total.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

One suggestion on this would be to take an approach similar to that used by avforums.com, and add the following two rules:

1 - Make it very clear if the equipment is advertised elsewhere, so that people know whether they could be in the middle of negotiating here only to find that the kit has been sold to someone else.

2 - Keep all price negotiations within the thread, not by PM or email, so that the process is transparent to all users and price information is clearer.

One further question: Is it allowable to post links to equipment being sold elsewhere? For example, if I, as a registered user of this forum, am selling something on eBay, can I post a link to that here?

Thanks for putting these new forums up though, should be a good addition.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi Fredrik, It would be much easier if we could include a photo or two here, rather than setup the photo's elsewhere. What do you think? Rgds, Charlie.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

rowlandhills wrote: Keep all price negotiations within the thread, not by PM or email, so that the process is transparent to all users and price information is clearer.
That is a strange rule. :|
Final price should be enough info.
It's all about musical understanding!
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Music Lover wrote:
rowlandhills wrote: Keep all price negotiations within the thread, not by PM or email, so that the process is transparent to all users and price information is clearer.
That is a strange rule. :|
Final price should be enough info.
Agreed completely, but I think that the idea behind the rule is that all too often on forums like this, Person A advertises it, Person B else makes an offer, and then you see something like "Thanks for the offer by PM/email, sold to Person C" and you've got no idea what the final price was!. By keeping all negotiations on the thread, you can see all offers/acceptances/refusals etc.

Also, if someone's got totally the wrong idea about pricing, it can be helpful to see what other people have been prepared to offer. Example in this case is Person A advertises it for price X. Person B says "X is too expensive, I'll offer Y". Person A rejects this. Person C might then see the thread and respond, pointing out that Person A is asking too high a price, given what the item has been going for recently on ebay etc. Once again, if price discussions take place by PM/email, person C would never have seen the offer and been able to point out that person A had unreasonable expectations.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

rowlandhills wrote: Agreed completely.
Good, but why do you then argue against it :wink:
It's all about musical understanding!
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Music Lover wrote:
rowlandhills wrote: Agreed completely.
Good, but why do you then argue against it :wink:
Maybe I should be clearer :)

I agree completely that the final price should be enough information. Unfortunately, there are a number of circumstances in which the final price is not clear, especially when it is negotiated by email/PM, or when unrealistic initial pricing results in no interest or no final sale. To make the final price clear, it is best (IMHO) to keep all price negotiation in the thread, not by email etc. Otherwise, how can we be sure that we know the final price.

Does that make sense?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The truth is that we will never know for certain the final price. Sometimes a seller has more than one item to sell, and it's not in his/her interest to tell everyone that he/she discounted the last item.

I don't believe in rules that are impossible to enforce. In the case of business, it's always an agreement between the seller and the buyer and everyone else are just curious bystanders. In my opinion it is impossible to tell anyone how or where they should reach their agreement, we can only ask for the favour of leaving behind information about the final price. Some don't have a problem with that, others (especially the more frequent sellers) won't tell us much and there is no way we can force them to.

I agree that it's a good policy to inform if the gear is advertised elsewhere. Thanks for that!

Charlie; currently the photo system is based on external hosting. We might look into that part, thanks for the suggestion!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I had a feeling this section had seen a lot more activity of late. Reading a thread on the Linn forum, it would appear there are new restrictions placed on the 'For Sale' section of Pink Fish Media which *might* explain this. Apparently, PFM were subject to some scams and are trying to limit this by only allowing active members to post sales.

Worth keeping an eye out on the authenticity of new adds here, especially as there are so many new members using this section alone.

I wonder if making it manditory to include a photo of the serial number would help? At least it would suggest the seller has access to such an item, although not actual proof, and it could still be a scam.
marmite

Post by marmite »

Charlie1 wrote:I had a feeling this section had seen a lot more activity of late. Reading a thread on the Linn forum, it would appear there are new restrictions placed on the 'For Sale' section of Pink Fish Media which *might* explain this. Apparently, PFM were subject to some scams and are trying to limit this by only allowing active members to post sales.

Worth keeping an eye out on the authenticity of new adds here, especially as there are so many new members using this section alone.

I wonder if making it manditory to include a photo of the serial number would help? At least it would suggest the seller has access to such an item, although not actual proof, and it could still be a scam.
Hi Charlie

I read about the problems on PFM. It would be a real shame if that sort of thing made it over here.

A minimum of 50 posts (which can be checked by mods to make sure they are genuine) would be a good way to create an obstacle. With the relatively small community we have here it would surely deter scammers. One of my earliest posts was to advertise something for sale, but I would have happily waited longer.

In New Zealand we use a site called 'Trade Me' (instead of ebay) which works very well on a trust (feedback) basis. We use bank transfer all the time. Thankfully the scammers don't seem interested in little NZ. Hopefully the Lejonklou forum is small enough that the scammers would be easy enough to spot. On the other side of the coin, genuine posters on here and other forums (such as Linn) should be easy enough to identify. Unless of course you get idiots like me who change the username they have used for years!

Paul
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks for pointing this out, Charlie. Let's hope the high activity is due to this website having approximately tripled in the number of daily visitors since last fall, and not due to the problems that have hit pfm.

I hope we won't have to make any limitations. But if necessary, we will.
finster

Re: Market Rules

Post by finster »

Hi quick question - is it only Linn or Lejonklou items that are advertised for sale? I didn't see anything in the rules? Thanks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

finster wrote:Hi quick question - is it only Linn or Lejonklou items that are advertised for sale? I didn't see anything in the rules? Thanks
Hi finster!

Quoting the first post: "Only hifi things that can play a tune and related equipment, parts and services. Nothing else."

No brands are mentioned.
finster

Post by finster »

lejonklou wrote:
finster wrote:Hi quick question - is it only Linn or Lejonklou items that are advertised for sale? I didn't see anything in the rules? Thanks
Hi finster!

Quoting the first post: "Only hifi things that can play a tune and related equipment, parts and services. Nothing else."

No brands are mentioned.
Perfect! That's whats I thought, but didn't want to assume as I haven't seen anything but Linn and Lejonklou listed.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:
Hi finster!

No brands are mentioned.
Although I would think that could be construed as a pretty limited group. ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

Hi,

I was thinking that there might be pople here intersted in some of the music we have recorded, hence I am wondering if selling music here is ok, or is it gear only?

Kind regards,

Stefan
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Stefan!

The market section is for equipment only. Perhaps you could mention your recordings elsewhere? For instance in the 'Me and My System' section?
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-04-13 01:21 Hi Stefan!

The market section is for equipment only. Perhaps you could mention your recordings elsewhere? For instance in the 'Me and My System' section?
OK. Thanks!
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

I have amended my adverts for speaker cable and interconnects. Normally that would bring them to the top of the list of For Sale items. For some reason that is not happening. Am I doing something wrong ?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Flatcoat wrote: 2019-09-11 11:00 I have amended my adverts for speaker cable and interconnects. Normally that would bring them to the top of the list of For Sale items. For some reason that is not happening. Am I doing something wrong ?
Hi Flatcoat!

By 'amend', do you mean you edited it? If so, that doesn't bring it to the top. Posting a reply in your ad, however, will.
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-09-11 13:48
Flatcoat wrote: 2019-09-11 11:00 I have amended my adverts for speaker cable and interconnects. Normally that would bring them to the top of the list of For Sale items. For some reason that is not happening. Am I doing something wrong ?
Hi Flatcoat!

By 'amend', do you mean you edited it? If so, that doesn't bring it to the top. Posting a reply in your ad, however, will.
So that is what I did wrong ! Thanks for the quick response.