Tony Tune-age System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tony Tune-age System

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-01-08 19:10 When we sell demo gear we have been known to inform the customers that we aren't charging them anything extra for the "audiophile dust" on them. ;-)
Good idea...although I don't know what audiophile dust is ;-)

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I'll be making some changes with my system soon, and all for the better too. My first change is replacing the Linn Klimax Kontrol with a Lejonklou Sagatun this week. This will allow me to extensively compare both of these preamps at home, and in my system. Although I have heard the Sagatun in other systems, it was never compared with a Klimax Kontrol.

Apparently the Entity has an upgrade scheduled for the near future. So my second change will be getting the Entity 1.1 upgrade, which is described as significant and worthwhile.

Not sure about the timeline, but eventually I hope to report back with pictures and thoughts.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
kampak

Post by kampak »

Hi Ron

In the last 2 weeks I had the opportunity to listen to the comparison between Sagatun monos (1.4) and my KK1/d at home.
At first it sounded like a dead heat, but I have also been feeding the Kontrol for years with everything that is good for it ;-)

The Kontrol is the only device in my chain that responds strongly to the cabling, so I was always supplied with test cables through loans from a dealer friend. Which resulted in some fancy stuff for this unit (Chord).
Therefore, it seemed only logical to test other cables on the Sagatun for the comparison, besides the obligatory old Linn Silvers.

...and then it looked quite different! After a Tundra Stereo had recently sunk my Klimax Twin/d, in a spectacular way, the obvious difference was not so great at first sight, but during relaxed listening it became increasingly clear that the much-praised differences of "unobtrusive naturalness", even if rare, do exist again and again. A bigger step than first impression suggested.

The KK with his Chord mains, and the Sagatun monos with their own excellent mains cable... the gap became so large that I ordered the Sagatun monos, resistance was futile.

I'm afraid the end result will be similar with a Sagatun Stereo and a loving set-up.
I will follow your thread with interest.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Linn-Lejonklou-Kudos
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-02-16 01:05 Not sure about the timeline, but eventually I hope to report back with pictures and thoughts.

Cheers
Yes, please ... your reports are always excellent ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Good morning Kampak, I wasn't sure if your comment was to me...or somebody else, but I'm not Ron. However, if it was meant for me thanks for the comments, I'll keep them in mind ;-)

Cheers!
kampak wrote: 2021-02-16 10:50 Hi Ron

In the last 2 weeks I had the opportunity to listen to the comparison between Sagatun monos (1.4) and my KK1/d at home.
At first it sounded like a dead heat, but I have also been feeding the Kontrol for years with everything that is good for it ;-)

The Kontrol is the only device in my chain that responds strongly to the cabling, so I was always supplied with test cables through loans from a dealer friend. Which resulted in some fancy stuff for this unit (Chord).
Therefore, it seemed only logical to test other cables on the Sagatun for the comparison, besides the obligatory old Linn Silvers.

...and then it looked quite different! After a Tundra Stereo had recently sunk my Klimax Twin/d, in a spectacular way, the obvious difference was not so great at first sight, but during relaxed listening it became increasingly clear that the much-praised differences of "unobtrusive naturalness", even if rare, do exist again and again. A bigger step than first impression suggested.

The KK with his Chord mains, and the Sagatun monos with their own excellent mains cable... the gap became so large that I ordered the Sagatun monos, resistance was futile.

I'm afraid the end result will be similar with a Sagatun Stereo and a loving set-up.
I will follow your thread with interest.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Last edited by Tony Tune-age on 2021-02-16 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Thank you V.A.MKD,

Cheers!
V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-02-16 12:32
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-02-16 01:05 Not sure about the timeline, but eventually I hope to report back with pictures and thoughts.

Cheers
Yes, please ... your reports are always excellent ...
Tony Tune-age
kampak

Post by kampak »

Hi Tony
errr, yes... it was for you.... I should not read and cook and clean up and change records the same time, huh?
LG Karsten
Linn-Lejonklou-Kudos
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

No problems Kampak :-)

It's all good, and I do appreciate your experiences. I did think about the getting the mono preamps, but that would require an additional audio rack and would take up additional space as well. There was a time when I had four mono amps (for a set of two way speakers) which sounded really good. However, it did require more space within the room for proper set-up. And ultimately my system would need mono preamps and phono amps to get the full benefit.

Cheers!
kampak wrote: 2021-02-16 13:53 Hi Tony
errr, yes... it was for you.... I should not read and cook and clean up and change records the same time, huh?
LG Karsten
Tony Tune-age
kampak

Post by kampak »

I know what you mean, coming from a Keltik active setup I wanted to minimize my system while enhancing its musical expression.
Now back in the world of searching for rack space its left to the musical enhancement... and here we are with the Lejonklou amps.
I‘ve had a hard time getting my Kudos speakers the neaded weight - they have a big open door between - but with this tiny Tundra Stereo which drastically outperformed my Klimax Chakra Twin, not only its more tuneful than ever, but also the needed weight is back. Total control from 24watts. I might have a hard time to get this grin out of my face, which is a big gift in these times!
The Sagatun Monos will add even more „flow and naturalness“ while waiting for Tundra Monos back in stock.
Looking for rack space... again!
But the Stereo will give you deeper insight in your audiotheque, too, I suspect.
As said, I‘ll follow your thread with interest.
regards K
Linn-Lejonklou-Kudos
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Robert Lake wrote: 2020-08-06 08:30 A picture of that polo shirt would be nice!
I often wondered why Linn with their extremely devoted costumers do not have any promotion stuff. I would gladly buy the baseball cap and the coffee mug.
As per your request Robert, here's the picture of my Lejonklou polo shirt and coffee mug (albeit late). Also it's my salute to the person we all know and respect...Fredrik Lejonklou!

Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

The Lejonklou Sagatun stereo preamplifier arrived at my residence last night between 7:00 and 8:00 pm. And it only took approximately 34 hours for delivery. That's service with a smile! After opening the box, I removed the Sagatun and placed it on a table for awhile to reach room temperature. The outside temperature was 20 degrees, so the unit was plenty cold!

And while it was acclimating to room temperature, I proceeded to read the User Manual and the Installation Manual. Both manuals were very precise, easy to read, and to the point. All the parts are top quality, and the unit looks great too! So after the Sagatun gets some meaningful time to burn in, I'll begin evaluating and comparing it with the Linn Klimax Kontrol.

Cheers!

Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Listening to "Some Enchanted Evening" by Blue Oyster Cult.

Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Listening to "The Doors"

Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for the salute Tony!

This is exciting! I'm really curious what you will think.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Very nice Tony. Looking forward to your report on the Sagatun as its on my list.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Thanks for the compliment Hermann. The Sagatun will require at least 150 hours of burn in time, before I can compare and evaluate...

Cheers
Hermann wrote: 2021-02-19 06:43 Very nice Tony. Looking forward to your report on the Sagatun as its on my list.
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thats much longer than Tundra but understandable. Still significantly shorter than Naim's 552, for example. A few days off, it needs at least 4 weeks to warm up and after some time it improves still in very fine areas and bass.

On the Sagatun I am very curious, actually more than the Entity. Because should the 552 go, would it be an earthquake for me. When the 52 was exchanged for the 552, I had a similar experience as currently with the Tundra. I can't imagine what would happen if the Sagatun did that...

We'll see... listen respectively...
Trust your ears
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Great great Tony.
Very good photos and excellent minimalist system ...
Thank you ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Good morning Hermann,

I'm not real sure how long it'll take to fully burn in, but Thomas said approximately 150 hours. However, in terms of build quality and design quality it's simply genius!

Do you plan on replacing the Naim 552 anytime soon?

Cheers!
Hermann wrote: 2021-02-20 11:06 Thats much longer than Tundra but understandable. Still significantly shorter than Naim's 552, for example. A few days off, it needs at least 4 weeks to warm up and after some time it improves still in very fine areas and bass.

On the Sagatun I am very curious, actually more than the Entity. Because should the 552 go, would it be an earthquake for me. When the 52 was exchanged for the 552, I had a similar experience as currently with the Tundra. I can't imagine what would happen if the Sagatun did that...

We'll see... listen respectively...
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Good morning V.A.MKD,

It is a minimalist system, but not minimalist sound. However, there was a time when I had several sources on the front end of my stereo system, and four mono power amplifiers too. Since then, I've learned to appreciate a simpler system. And by keeping things simple, I can better afford to maintain and/or upgrade my turntable or anything else necessary.

Cheers
V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-02-20 11:11 Great great Tony.
Very good photos and excellent minimalist system ...
Thank you ...
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-02-20 17:15 Good morning Hermann,

I'm not real sure how long it'll take to fully burn in, but Thomas said approximately 150 hours. However, in terms of build quality and design quality it's simply genius!

Cheers!
So no description of the Sagatun in the next 14 days....
The warm-up time I had also allowed myself with the Entity. I expect it back tomorrow and give it a few days.

Well Toni, to be honest, there is no plan to replace the 552. Only a test with the Sagatun Pre will show that.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Good morning Hermann,

Well, fortunately 150 hours is only 6.25 days. But as it runs out, I'm getting ready to post my results today (since I have the day off). It's had nearly 115 hours of burn in time so far, and because of the progress I will be able wrap this thing up shortly.

Cheers
Hermann wrote: 2021-02-22 08:33
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-02-20 17:15 Good morning Hermann,

Cheers!
So no description of the Sagatun in the next 14 days....
The warm-up time I had also allowed myself with the Entity. I expect it back tomorrow and give it a few days.

Well Toni, to be honest, there is no plan to replace the 552. Only a test with the Sagatun Pre will show that.
Tony Tune-age