Tony Tune-age System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tony Tune-age System

Post by tpetsch »

I'm get that overall Ahhh feeling floating over me on take (2) when compared to (1).
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Well, it's time to reveal details of the the comparison. But first, I would like to say thanks to all that listened and participated with comments. You're a good crowd indeed!

The top music link (3.mp4), was recorded with the Sagatun Stereo plugged first into the power strip, the Klimax Radikal plugged second into the power strip, the Entity 1.1 plugged third into the power strip and the Pekin fourth.

The bottom link (2.mp4), was recorded with the Klimax Radikal plugged first into the power strip, the Entity 1.1 plugged second into the power strip, the Sagatun Stereo plugged third into the power strip and the Pekin fourth.

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

NOTE: If time permits we will listen with the Klimax Radikal plugged in first, the Sagatun Stereo plugged in second, the Entity plugged in third and the Pekin fourth. However, if there isn't a difference from having Sagatun Stereo first and Klimax Radikal second...we won't bother with a music link.
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-06-20 01:16 The top music link (3.mp4), was recorded with the Sagatun Stereo plugged first into the power strip, the Klimax Radikal plugged second into the power strip, the Entity 1.1 plugged third into the power strip and the Pekin fourth.

The bottom link (2.mp4), was recorded with the Klimax Radikal plugged first into the power strip, the Entity 1.1 plugged second into the power strip, the Sagatun Stereo plugged third into the power strip and the Pekin fourth.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

After listening to this particular order for awhile, some people think there is a difference and some aren't sure. But nobody can say which is better. As such, we'll listen some more before deciding to post links or not.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-06-21 18:55 NOTE: If time permits we will listen with the Klimax Radikal plugged in first, the Sagatun Stereo plugged in second, the Entity plugged in third and the Pekin fourth. However, if there isn't a difference from having Sagatun Stereo first and Klimax Radikal second...we won't bother with a music link.
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-06-20 01:16 The top music link (3.mp4), was recorded with the Sagatun Stereo plugged first into the power strip, the Klimax Radikal plugged second into the power strip, the Entity 1.1 plugged third into the power strip and the Pekin fourth.

Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Mimer Audio Rack

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Back in 2013, I auditioned a Harmoni audio rack for the first time (see picture below). Unfortunately we really didn't hear much difference, if any. And as it turned out, the audio rack doesn't sound very good using all Mimer shelves. So now, only the top shelve uses the Mimer configuration. And after talking with Thomas again, I've placed an order for a new Mimer audio rack. I decided to get the Cherry stained wood, with black anodized metal parts.

Once it's received and set-up, I'll try to post a comparison of my current audio rack and the Mimer audio rack.
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2013-03-11 16:23 Also, during the visit, ThomasOK demonstrated the sonic virtures of a Mimer audio rack. And it was directly compared to my Quadraspire audio rack. Perhaps a Mimer will eventually replace my Quadraspire.

Tony Tune-age
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

:) I I did know you would not resist for long after your comments lately - I am looking forward to the comparison and how it looks like.
Black anodized looks really classy.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Defender wrote: 2021-07-05 20:32 Black anodized looks really classy.
Yes, with Cherry stained wood will be even better ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-07-06 11:13
Defender wrote: 2021-07-05 20:32 Black anodized looks really classy.
Yes, with Cherry stained wood will be even better ...
Thanks for the comments guys, I really like the color combination too! My current audio rack is Cherry wood veneer with black metal parts, so I already have an idea of what to expect visually. And as for the sonic improvement, I was told it would be similar to getting the "NOKTable" (which was a huge improvement over "The Sound Organization" table). And if that's true, I'll be a happy camper indeed.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

We finally decided there wasn't a noticeable difference with the Kimax Radikal plugged in first, compared to the Sagatun stereo preamp being plugged in first. So eventually, the next music links will be comparing a Mimer audio rack to my current audio rack.
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-06-29 12:43 After listening to this particular order for awhile, some people think there is a difference and some aren't sure. But nobody can say which is better. As such, we'll listen some more before deciding to post links or not.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-06-21 18:55 NOTE: If time permits we will listen with the Klimax Radikal plugged in first, the Sagatun Stereo plugged in second, the Entity plugged in third and the Pekin fourth. However, if there isn't a difference from having Sagatun Stereo first and Klimax Radikal second...we won't bother with a music link.

Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Not sure if this topic has been covered before, but I have a few questions regarding the Entity. Will very much dust gather inside due to the open slots on the top of the case? And if so, will it impact performance? And if so, is there a way to clean it out? (see picture below)

Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

How much dust falls into the ventilation holes of Entity will depend on how dusty the room is. I have found this varies greatly between Tundra amps when they return for an upgrade after several years of service in a customer's system. Some are like new, others have a thin layer of very fine powder on the circuit board (perhaps dust originating from the exhaust of a frequently used but not very good vacuum cleaner?), others have a thin layer of more hairy dust.

This is easily seen from the outside of case if you point a strong light into the ventilation holes. If you don't see anything, there is no affect on performance. If there's visible dust, it can potentially raise the temperature a little bit, which can affect performance. In that case, I'd use compressed air directed into the ventilation holes to blow it out.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Thanks for the information Fredrik, it's much appreciated (sorry for the late response, it's a busy summer). There isn't any visible dust that I can see so far, and I do keep the music room cleaned and dusted on a weekly basis.

However, If there does come a time when dust needs to be blown out, I'll be sure to disconnect the leads and power cord first!
lejonklou wrote: 2021-07-20 18:51 How much dust falls into the ventilation holes of Entity will depend on how dusty the room is. I have found this varies greatly between Tundra amps when they return for an upgrade after several years of service in a customer's system. Some are like new, others have a thin layer of very fine powder on the circuit board (perhaps dust originating from the exhaust of a frequently used but not very good vacuum cleaner?), others have a thin layer of more hairy dust.

This is easily seen from the outside of case if you point a strong light into the ventilation holes. If you don't see anything, there is no affect on performance. If there's visible dust, it can potentially raise the temperature a little bit, which can affect performance. In that case, I'd use compressed air directed into the ventilation holes to blow it out.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Charlie Watts, drummer for the Rolling Stones.

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Unfortunately, we heard about the passing of Charlie Watts early this morning as we were preparing breakfast. Needless to say, it was very sad and very sobering to hear. I have always admired how the Rolling Stones continue to improve, and how they maintained their relationships in spite of all the turmoil that comes with being a highly successful rock band. Charlie will surely be missed by millions, and is a permanent fixture in the Rolling Stones history. And he will continue to be a permanent fixture in my music room as well (along with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards).

Tony Tune-age
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Indeed! His unique drum-playing will be sorely missed :-(
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Always really enjoyed Charlie's playing
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-08-26 15:02 Always really enjoyed Charlie's playing
Same here Charlie, and I'm sure Charlie would appreciate that too!
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Tony Tune-age System

Post by Tony Tune-age »

It's been awhile since I've visited this forum, but there is a good reason too! For the first time in over a year, we have been able to attend several outdoor concerts throughout the summer - which included the Black Pumas! And we have been able to travel extensively around the country this year, since all of our travel plans were cancelled last year. Plus we've been able to participate in several outdoor physical activities as well.

However there's been a lot of really cool things happening in the audio industry recently, that I didn't know about. But of course Thomas was kind enough to bring me up to speed, since most of the news will directly impact my system.

So starting with the Harmoni audio rack, Thomas is currently working on a new version of the top metal shelf. And as such, he will be making two prototypes soon (black & silver), which he thinks will improve the performance of the top shelf. So if everything works out, I'll be getting the black version. Estimated time of completion might be around December, or possibly later.

In addition, it was exciting to hear about the new Linn Klimax Radikal 2 power supply. And after discussing my options with Thomas, it seems that I can have my unit upgraded instead of selling it and buying the newer version. I have owned several Linn turntable power supplies, and each power supply has sounded better than the previous unit. So needless to say, I trust the new Klimax Radikal will certainly sound better than the current unit. And this upgrade shouldn't take very long to complete.

I'm also happy to hear about the new Linn Ekstatik moving coil cartridge. And although my Kandid cartridge is far from being worn out, I'll likely purchase the Ekstatik when the time comes to replace my current cartridge. It will be exciting to hear the Ekstatik through my Entity phono preamplifier!

So there will be some positive changes coming to my system soon, and in the meantime I'll continue listening to my system as it is now!
Tony Tune-age
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Like Van the Man says, Keep it Simple Tony
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Hi Tony,
Interesting time period in front of you ...
LP12 (with all upgrades) VS Kalla ...
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-10-20 17:17 So starting with the Harmoni audio rack, Thomas is currently working on a new version of the top metal shelf. And as such, he will be making two prototypes soon (black & silver), which he thinks will improve the performance of the top shelf. So if everything works out, I'll be getting the black version. Estimated time of completion might be around December, or possibly later.
It will be interesting if new version is OK also for Kalla ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Arjen wrote: 2021-10-20 22:14 Like Van the Man says, Keep it Simple Tony
Will do Arjen, and that's one of my favorite Van Morrison albums - "good call"

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-10-21 10:33 Hi Tony,
Interesting time period in front of you ...
LP12 (with all upgrades) VS Kalla ...
That it is V.A.MKD, and even with the cell phone cost, internet cost and music service cost the Kalla is certainly less expensive than a top spec LP12 turntable.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-10-21 10:48
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-10-20 17:17 So starting with the Harmoni audio rack, Thomas is currently working on a new version of the top metal shelf. And as such, he will be making two prototypes soon (black & silver), which he thinks will improve the performance of the top shelf. So if everything works out, I'll be getting the black version. Estimated time of completion might be around December, or possibly later.
It will be interesting if new version is OK also for Kalla ...
I'm not sure at this time, but I have been told the Sagatun sounds really good on the Harmoni shelf. In addition, I was told that the Radikal and Entity sound the best on the Harmoni top shelf.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I have a question regarding the mute button on the Sagatun stereo preamplifier, how does it mute 100%? I've only been able to do a partial mute, but not a full mute (I'm probably doing something wrong).

Thanks
Tony Tune-age
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-10-31 15:44 I have a question regarding the mute button on the Sagatun stereo preamplifier, how does it mute 100%? I've only been able to do a partial mute, but not a full mute (I'm probably doing something wrong).

Thanks
Please hold for your answer :)