Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tony Tune-age System

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-05-07 20:12
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-05-07 18:44 I just finished measuring the various speaker distances (from each other and the wall). They are 46" from each other, and each speaker is toed-in about 1.25". And the right speaker is a little farther from the wall, than the left speaker. It took us a few days to find the optimum speaker placement, but it was worth the effort.

You might have to just try different placement distances, to determine what's best for your room. Proper speaker placement is critical for sure!

By the way, there is a technical reason why the bass was lagging...and it's not because of the power amplifier.
Thanks Tony!

I went ahead earlier anyway. Mine are now 43" apart so the tweeters are about 148cm apart.

I will try a bit further apart though.
Good morning Charlie,

Have you tried placing your Isobariks farther apart yet? Or have you found the optimum position already?
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2021-02-23 14:11 Congratulations on the new preamp and thanks for sharing.

After these impressions, it won't be long before I test the Sagatun.
Good afternoon Hermann,

Are you in the process of testing the Sagatun Monos only, or did you test the Sagatun Stereo prior to getting the monos?
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Hi Tony

Since the Monos are not available at the moment, I'm testing the Sagatuns today. REcordings will follow when plays right.
Trust your ears
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Tundra Monos are still not available but I've sent Hermann a pair of Sagatun Monos to test.

Sagatun stereo is still one unit available but I think less interesting to compare against his Naim 552/DR preamp.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2021-05-25 09:38 Hi Tony

Since the Monos are not available at the moment, I'm testing the Sagatuns today. REcordings will follow when plays right.
Thanks for the reply Hermann, I thought you might have been testing the Sagatun Stereo but wasn't sure. And it's good that you were finally able to get your audio rack situation settled too.

I'm trying to stay away from multiple audio racks and amplifier stands in my system, having one of each is much easier for me to deal with overall.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

hey Tony if you want my opinion about Sagatun Stereo vs Mono - the Stereo is special -the Monos are simply better they are another level of special ... more musical and more emotional to an extent that I didnt thought it is possible at that level.
An example to make you better understand my statement is that I loaded a long list into my Akurate DS which contained different varieties of music to make sure all is warming up nicely after powering all off/on and connecting all again and I found myself not only enjoying my digital side of the system again but also sitting down at classic music and enjoying it even though thats not my cup of tea.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Defender wrote: 2021-05-25 21:58 hey Tony if you want my opinion about Sagatun Stereo vs Mono - the Stereo is special -the Monos are simply better they are another level of special ... more musical and more emotional to an extent that I didnt thought it is possible at that level.
An example to make you better understand my statement is that I loaded a long list into my Akurate DS which contained different varieties of music to make sure all is warming up nicely after powering all off/on and connecting all again and I found myself not only enjoying my digital side of the system again but also sitting down at classic music and enjoying it even though thats not my cup of tea.
Good evening Defender,

Actually your opinion of the Sagatun Mono preamplifier, versus the Sagatun Stereo preamplifier is essentially the same as my opinion. In fact I have heard both of these preamplifiers, as well as the Tundra Mono and Tundra Stereo amplifiers. In addition, I have heard the Singularities and Entity phono preamplifiers also. And in my opinion, the mono versions do sound better than their stereo versions.

And there was a time when I was going down the mono path too. However since that required more audio racks, more amplifier stands, and of course more space to accommodate all the additional equipment, I decided to stay with stereo components. And as it turns out, I do have a very musical and great sounding stereo system. Of course much of that is attributed to the source. So whenever an improvement is available for my SondekLP12, I will be ready to listen.

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-05-25 20:46
Hermann wrote: 2021-05-25 09:38 Hi Tony

Thanks for the reply Hermann, I thought you might have been testing the Sagatun Stereo but wasn't sure. And it's good that you were finally able to get your audio rack situation settled too.

I'm trying to stay away from multiple audio racks and amplifier stands in my system, having one of each is much easier for me to deal with overall.

Cheers
I understand very well Toni, if you want to reduce the number of devices. Unfortunately, I can only do that marginally. I would prefer a small box in the corner, which offers all that my system currently reproduces in musical finesse. Maybe something like an egg-laying woolly milk sow.

At least I could save one box and exchange two for a very small one with musical improvements.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2021-05-25 09:38 I understand very well Toni, if you want to reduce the number of devices. Unfortunately, I can only do that marginally. I would prefer a small box in the corner, which offers all that my system currently reproduces in musical finesse. Maybe something like an egg-laying woolly milk sow.
Good morning Hermann,

I had to look up "egg-laying wooly milk sow" because I haven't heard that phrase before. I'm always learning something new every day. And that would be very nice indeed! Enjoy your nice sounding system...

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Hi Tony,

And I wasn't even sure if that translation would work...

Thanks, well its sounding overwhelming.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2021-06-01 17:29 And I wasn't even sure if that translation would work...
Good afternoon Hermann,

Actually I didn't think of using the translation feature, but I did look it up and found some interesting explanations.

https://www.rundumhifi.com/en/audio-tec ... 200-xe-ii/

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc ... llmilchsau

https://thecityfix.com/blog/the-amazing ... -milk-sow/
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Hi Tony nice one...

I like the 3rd link from Bremen. Didn't know that they call their traffic concept like that.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2021-06-07 08:00 Hi Tony nice one...

I like the 3rd link from Bremen. Didn't know that they call their traffic concept like that.
I didn't know either, but it's all new to me anyway!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I have been conducting a listening test for some time now, in regard to a particular topic which has been discussed on the forum. I think everything will be ready to post soon, but won't reveal what it is until members have an opportunity to provide their thoughts.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I am looking forward to it.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Defender wrote: 2021-06-15 15:11 I am looking forward to it.
+1
Music First ...
Vlado
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-06-15 15:05 I have been conducting a listening test for some time now, in regard to a particular topic which has been discussed on the forum. I think everything will be ready to post soon, but won't reveal what it is until members have an opportunity to provide their thoughts.
Listed below are two music links that were recorded from different listening sessions. They are a comparison of a specific forum topic, which has been discussed frequently. Both links are using the same song from the same album. As it turns out, the camera must face the speakers for optimal sound. I did try facing the camera towards the audio rack and turntable, but the sound suffered.

Which link sounds best, and what's being compared...?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fncit6516qqmbc/3.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uf93tpqn9s2dwvk/2.mp4?dl=0
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I prefer clip 2 over clip 3 (or 1 depending on how you want to look at it). No idea what you are comparing but the music comes through better in the second clip.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-06-18 23:21 Which link sounds best, and what's being compared...?

I prefer the second clip, too.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Second clip for me too. I don’t normally listen to the clips but this was very obvious.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I'm not sure which I prefer.

Clip 2 is more impressive, but I'm not sure if it's better.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-06-18 23:21

Which link sounds best, and what's being compared...?

I prefer the top clip. I find the bottom clip a little too stiff sounding compared to the top clip.
Playing cd’s…………
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-06-19 10:48 I'm not sure which I prefer.

There were several people that listened to this comparison in person, and many didn't know which was better either. But a few people liked certain aspects about both of these recordings. However, some did have a preference for one over the other. I'll wait a little while longer before revealing the comparison...

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-06-19 15:13
lejonklou wrote: 2021-06-19 10:48 I'm not sure which I prefer.

There were several people that listened to this comparison in person, and many didn't know which was better either. But a few people liked certain aspects about both of these recordings. However, some did have a preference for one over the other. I'll wait a little while longer before revealing the comparison...

Cheers
OK, then I think I know what we're comparing. :)
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I prefer clip 2.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty