Tony Tune-age System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Although it did take time to find the proper placement and positioning for my Isobarik speakers, they can be easier to set-up than many other types of speakers.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

After the Akurate Radikal was upgraded with the new Dynamik power supply, and the Sondek upgraded with the Linn Urika phono preamplifier, I placed the Radikal on the top shelf and that was a major sonic improvement. Also, I was able to move the tuner up one shelf, take away one power cord and one set of interconnects. This component arrangement makes for a more effifient audio rack with major sonic improvement.

Needless to say, the tuner sounds much better on the third shelf compared to being on the bottom shelf. And the FM tuner is performing much better being on it's own shelf without another component.

Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I must say it looks like a very nice room in which to listen to music. My walls are still bare :(

Did you not have a listen to the Urika upgrade alone prior to the Dynamik fitting - just to get an idea of what does what?
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:I must say it looks like a very nice room in which to listen to music. My walls are still bare :(

Did you not have a listen to the Urika upgrade alone prior to the Dynamik fitting - just to get an idea of what does what?
Yes, the Urika was listened to with a non-Dynamiked Radikal. In fact, all of the screw adjustments or torque measurements, were listened to before the Dynamik was installed. Each step or phase was evaluated before moving onto the next.

This upgrade is very significant, and might be the best value for the money in my system. Of course some of the previous upgrades (torque adjustments, Keel, Movingui plinth, Ekos, Akiva) to my Sondek probably contribute to what I'm hearing now, but at this point I really feel good about my current investment. ThomasOK has done a fine job once again, and continues to perfect his craft.
Tony Tune-age
lindsayt

Post by lindsayt »

Yay, good old Briks. Good old (or not so old in this case) LP12. Good old Sound Org table too.

Sometimes equipment positioning can be a compromise between best sound and domestic acceptability. Have you ever tried - even as a brief experiment - moving your LP12 to the opposite corner of the room to the Briks, or even into the room next door? I'm just thinking about the amount of bass energy that the Briks pump into the floor and the proximity of the LP12.

This would allow you to also experiment with getting the Briks further apart - but not too close to the corners.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lindsayt wrote:Yay, good old Briks. Good old (or not so old in this case) LP12. Good old Sound Org table too.

Sometimes equipment positioning can be a compromise between best sound and domestic acceptability. Have you ever tried - even as a brief experiment - moving your LP12 to the opposite corner of the room to the Briks, or even into the room next door? I'm just thinking about the amount of bass energy that the Briks pump into the floor and the proximity of the LP12.

This would allow you to also experiment with getting the Briks further apart - but not too close to the corners.
Good questions lindsayt, a few others have suggested similar arrangements. But to answer your questions, we did set-up the system in a variety of positions. And it took several weeks before we found the sweet spot. The long flat wall was best suited for the Isobariks, from a sonic perspective. My music room has two walls with large openings into other areas, and another wall that is mostly windows. So, needless to say, there weren't many configurations to choose from.

However, the speakers are not presenting any problems for the Sondek...they are toed-in a little bit and facing away from the turntable and audio rack. The audio rack and turntable were in reverse positions originally, but they sound better in their current location. My floor has a little more support for the turntable stand where it is now. Both the turntable and audio rack are several inches away from the wall, which does sound better than being closer to the wall.

Fortunately, the system sounds great...
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Not certain why, but overall my system is sounding better now. Originally it sounded great in May, but recently there has been an improvement. Perhaps my Akiva is breaking in, along with the Radikal Dynamik power supply. Needless to say, I still like my system and all of the upgrades!
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Follow-up information. The right channel in my Akiva just stopped working, much to my surprise. So, that means I'll be getting another Akiva shortly. Plus, my dealer will be able to install the new Khan top plate as well.

It will be interesting to see if Linn comes out with a new top plate too.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Finally replaced my Pioneer tuner with a Linn Pekin tuner. It does sound a little better, and looks much nicer too!

Image Linn Pekin tuner

Image Pioneer tuner
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

My replacement Linn Akiva cartridge arrived before Christmas, and ThomasOK installed it last Thursday. And as usual, the Akiva sounds great! My turntable is officially back-up and running!
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Tony Tune-age wrote:My replacement Linn Akiva cartridge arrived before Christmas, and ThomasOK installed it last Thursday. And as usual, the Akiva sounds great! My turntable is officially back-up and running!
Very nice too. Would like to do the same, but doubt very much it will happen.

Any news on the Khan? Are you still having one?
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:My replacement Linn Akiva cartridge arrived before Christmas, and ThomasOK installed it last Thursday. And as usual, the Akiva sounds great! My turntable is officially back-up and running!
Very nice too. Would like to do the same, but doubt very much it will happen.

Any news on the Khan? Are you still having one?
Thanks for the kind words Charlie. As for the Khan, we are waiting for the shipment to arrive. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to learning more and being able to listen first hand! If it sounds good and has no negatives...I'll have it installed.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Since my Sondek had to be packed-up and taken to the shop for a cartridge replacement, I took the time to better organize my power cords, interconnects and speaker cable.

Overall, they were okay but I was able to get all the interconnects and power cables completely elevated off the floor. This effort actually made a small improvement. Another small improvement was heard after I unplugged the interconnects, power cords and speaker cable...and plugged them back in again.

The final improvement came from tightening my audio rack, which was only a little loose but enough to make a sonic difference. These tweaks can make a positive improvement and are worth the effort to conduct.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

It shouldn't be very long now, before I get a chance to hear the new Khan top plate. And if it sounds as good as described by many other audiophiles, it will certainly be installed.

No matter the results, further information will be provided.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

As a follow-up to the information below, I replaced the furniture in my music room. It was a beautiful Early American style, but seemed to restrict the sound of my audio system (although it took awhile for me to notice). So, it was replaced with modern leather furniture, and the sound quality really opened-up. Needless to say, this was another learning experience.
Tony Tune-age wrote:Since my Sondek had to be packed-up and taken to the shop for a cartridge replacement, I took the time to better organize my power cords, interconnects and speaker cable.

Overall, they were okay but I was able to get all the interconnects and power cables completely elevated off the floor. This effort actually made a small improvement. Another small improvement was heard after I unplugged the interconnects, power cords and speaker cable...and plugged them back in again.

The final improvement came from tightening my audio rack, which was only a little loose but enough to make a sonic difference. These tweaks can make a positive improvement and are worth the effort to conduct.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Just had the new Khan top plate installed over the weekend. It was a major sonic improvement overall, but the bass frequencies are much deeper and cleaner, and the midrange frequencies are more defined, which makes voices more human sounding now.

Pictures of the new Khan top plate, the original Linn top plate and the associated braces.

Image Khan top plate

Image Khan top plate

Image Khan top plate

Image Linn top plate

Image Linn top plate

Image Linn and Khan braces

Image Linn and Khan braces
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Here is another view of the Khan top plate, which can be seen under the platter.

Tony Tune-age
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Tony

thanks for all the pictures and the constant reports on upgrades. Interesting reading.

Love the plinth by the way, and with Briks driven by that amp, I hope you have friendly neighbours!
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Thanks Sunbeamgls, I really apprecaite the kind remarks. My neighnors have learned how to be friendly, over time. Initially when I built my house, they weren't very friendly regarding my music playing activities. But they are very understanding now days!

The plinth is Movingui wood, and made by Chris Harban. Much to my surprise, it made a significant sonic improvement (in addition to being beautiful). And as it stands currently, the last upgrade for me will be to replace my Ekos II tonearm, with an Ekos SE tonearm later this month.
sunbeamgls wrote:Tony

thanks for all the pictures and the constant reports on upgrades. Interesting reading.

Love the plinth by the way, and with Briks driven by that amp, I hope you have friendly neighbours!
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Tony Tune-age wrote:Thanks Sunbeamgls, I really apprecaite the kind remarks. My neighnors have learned how to be friendly, over time. Initially when I built my house, they weren't very friendly regarding my music playing activities. But they are very understanding now days!

The plinth is Movingui wood, and made by Chris Harban. Much to my surprise, it made a significant sonic improvement (in addition to being beautiful). And as it stands currently, the last upgrade for me will be to replace my Ekos II tonearm, with an Ekos SE tonearm later this month.
Look forward to reading your thoughts on the SE Tony. Like you, I did the upgrade from Ekos 2 to SE by itself. My Ekos 2 didn't have the T-Kable - has yours?
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie,

I did have the Linn T-Kable, but when I purchased the Linn Urika phono preamplifier, it was no longer needed. So, it was sold. And needless to say, I won't need the Linn T-Kable which comes with the Ekos SE tonearm either. And as such, it will be sold with the Linn Ekos II tonearm...as a package deal.

I will be giving my perspective on the two Linn Ekos tonearms eventually. However, I have heard both direct and indirect comparisons with my Ekos II tonearm, and a few different Ekos SE tonearms. Of course the Ekos SE version totally rocks in all areas! But at the same time, the Ekos II is no chump either! I could easily stay with the Ekos II, but it is time to for me to move onward and upward.
Charlie1 wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:Thanks Sunbeamgls, I really apprecaite the kind remarks. My neighnors have learned how to be friendly, over time. Initially when I built my house, they weren't very friendly regarding my music playing activities. But they are very understanding now days!

Look forward to reading your thoughts on the SE Tony. Like you, I did the upgrade from Ekos 2 to SE by itself. My Ekos 2 didn't have the T-Kable - has yours?
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Tony Tune-age wrote:I did have the Linn T-Kable, but when I purchased the Linn Urika phono preamplifier, it was no longer needed.
That's the second time I've forgotten this minor detail in recent weeks - seem to have a mental block on it!
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Tony Tune-age wrote:Here is another view of the Khan top plate, which can be seen under the platter.

Tony, I get the impression that platter "sits higher" due to the Khan, is it so?
Charlie1 wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:I did have the Linn T-Kable, but when I purchased the Linn Urika phono preamplifier, it was no longer needed.
That's the second time I've forgotten this minor detail in recent weeks - seem to have a mental block on it!
Charlie, easiest way to get over that mental block would be to take a Urika. Works every time!
/Daniel

LP12SE
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Daniel wrote:Charlie, easiest way to get over that mental block would be to take a Urika. Works every time!
Thanks - who's buying? :)

I might be tempted one day, at the right price.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Daniel,

I don't think the Khan makes the platter sit any higher than the original Linn top plate, but I didn't take measurements to know for certain. The new top plate is configured differently though, which might make the platter look like it sits higher.
Daniel wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:Here is another view of the Khan top plate, which can be seen under the platter.

Tony, I get the impression that platter "sits higher" due to the Khan, is it so?
Charlie1 wrote:
Charlie, easiest way to get over that mental block would be to take a Urika. Works every time!
Tony Tune-age