Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tony Tune-age System

Post by lejonklou »

You're funny tokenbrit!

Tony: Press and hold more than half a second.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-10-31 15:54
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-10-31 15:44 I have a question regarding the mute button on the Sagatun stereo preamplifier, how does it mute 100%? I've only been able to do a partial mute, but not a full mute (I'm probably doing something wrong).

Thanks
Please hold for your answer :)
Thanks for your answer Tokenbrit, that was a good hint!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-31 19:31 You're funny tokenbrit!

Thanks for the clarification Lejonklou, I wasn't holding long enough on the mute button. I did appreciate Tokenbrit's reply, it was both funny and helpful at the same time!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Fredrik,

I really like the two function mute button very much, it's convenient and easy to use. Needless to say, none of my previous preamplifiers had this type of mute button.

In addition, I'm getting more accustomed to the volume color-change display. Although the Linn numerical volume indicator was easy to read, the color-change display is easily related to the volume being played.

Both of these features are simply genius!

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-11-01 14:13
lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-31 19:31 You're funny tokenbrit!

Thanks for the clarification Lejonklou, I wasn't holding long enough on the mute button. I did appreciate Tokenbrit's reply, it was both funny and helpful at the same time!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-11-01 22:01 I really like the two function mute button very much, it's convenient and easy to use. Needless to say, none of my previous preamplifiers had this type of mute button.

In addition, I'm getting more accustomed to the volume color-change display. Although the Linn numerical volume indicator was easy to read, the color-change display is easily related to the volume being played.

Thank you so much Tony!

When they were first introduced, I had a hard time convincing my retailers of these two features. Most of them thought colors was too odd and the half-mute too complicated. But since then, all the feedback I have received has been very positive.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-11-01 22:01 I really like the two function mute button very much, it's convenient and easy to use.
The two step mute is really handy, very simple to use and it makes me wonder why not all amps have had this feature for the last 40 years! It's one of those brilliantly simple ideas.

I and my family also rely every day on the colour coded volume to set the right vol level.
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-11-01 22:01 Both of these features are simply genius!
+1

It's funny: Boazu is marketed as having zero features, yet in day to day use it has three really effective features: no source switch, colour coded volume and two step mute. Even if you ignore the lovely sound quality, these features make it my favourite amp over all those I have owned.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

You're welcome Fredrik...
lejonklou wrote: 2021-11-01 23:25
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-11-01 22:01 I really like the two function mute button very much, it's convenient and easy to use. Needless to say, none of my previous preamplifiers had this type of mute button.

Thank you so much Tony!

When they were first introduced, I had a hard time convincing my retailers of these two features. Most of them thought colors was too odd and the half-mute too complicated. But since then, all the feedback I have received has been very positive.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-11-02 08:03
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-11-01 22:01 I really like the two function mute button very much, it's convenient and easy to use.
The two step mute is really handy, very simple to use and it makes me wonder why not all amps have had this feature for the last 40 years! It's one of those brilliantly simple ideas.
None of my previous stereo preamplifiers had a two function mute button, and the Sagatun's are the only preamplifiers I've seen with such a feature. I'm wondering if Fredrik is the only person to come up with this idea.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Last week we had an opportunity to listen to a Mark Levinson stereo preamplifier (ML. No. 523) at home in my system. In addition, we conducted a direct comparison of the 523 and my Lejonklou Sagatun stereo preamplifier.

After hearing the difference between a Linn Klimax Kontrol preamp and the Lejonklou stereo preamp, a friend brought over his new Mark Levison 523 to compare with the Sagatun as well. He had been thinking about possibly buying the Mark Levison No. 526 preamp, but since it it costs $22,000.00 he bought the ML 523.

Overall it was an interesting comparison in terms of features, sound performance and of course price. The ML 523 sells for $16,500.00, and the Lejonklou preamp is approximately 1/3 of that price. The 523 has a lot of features including a built in phono amp for MC and MM cartridges, a headphone section, along with three single-ended RCA inputs and two balanced XLR inputs. And the 523 has an illuminated digital display front panel (similar to the Klimax Kontrol). However as everyone reading this post already knows, the Sagatun has a two function mute button and volume control, but no headphone section, no phono amp, and no digital display on the front panel.

Before listening, we made sure both stereo preamps were fully burned in, and properly warmed up before conducting the comparison. Sonically the ML 523 sounded more forward, like being in the front row of a concert. And the 523 has a fair amount of detail, but the detail sounded a little etched to my ears. However it did not sound as enjoyable, or as musical as the Sagatun stereo preamp. Overall the 523 sounded cool and two dimensional, especially when compared directly with the Sagatun. Based on sound performance alone, the Mark Levison 523 isn't worth the high price tag in my opinion. And my friend wasn't really happy with the 523 after comparing it with the Sagatun stereo preamp.
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Hi Tony

maybe I should say was to be expected? I know the advantages of the Sagatuns mono very well. Although I must admit, after the purchase remained a period of uncertainty about the deal. But many 10 to 14 hour listening session (yesterday only sttreaming) speak a different language. Meanwhile, it is internalized...

Regarding the ML and Fredrik's masterpiece, I remember well at the time when I decided to buy the Naim NAC 52. The ML was very close, it just lacked a bit of musical flow. But evolution changes things.

Beating the Sagatun monos in a musical sense may be difficult, although these decisions are certainly influenced by personal preferences.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2021-11-29 16:10 Hi Tony

maybe I should say was to be expected? I know the advantages of the Sagatuns mono very well. Although I must admit, after the purchase remained a period of uncertainty about the deal. But many 10 to 14 hour listening session (yesterday only sttreaming) speak a different language. Meanwhile, it is internalized...

Regarding the ML and Fredrik's masterpiece, I remember well at the time when I decided to buy the Naim NAC 52. The ML was very close, it just lacked a bit of musical flow. But evolution changes things.

Beating the Sagatun monos in a musical sense may be difficult, although these decisions are certainly influenced by personal preferences.
Hello Hermann,

After hearing how much better the Sagatun sounded over the Klimax Kontrol, we strongly suspected the Sagatun might sound better than the ML 523 as well. However it wasn't until we actually listened to both of these stereo preamps, that we knew for sure. Although the ML 523 didn't sound bad overall, it just wasn't as enjoyable as the Sagatun. Maybe if the 523 didn't have a headphone input, or a built-in phono stage (MM&MC), or a digital display front panel, it would be a better sounding preamp (and cheaper too). I did tell him about the Sagatun mono preamps, and how good they sound as well. So if he ever decides to get another preamp someday, he'll likely consider the Sagatun stereo or mono preamps. But as you say, ultimately these decisions are influenced by personal preferences.
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

According to your description, a similar impression could have arisen as with my decision at the time. He will perhaps brood over the Sagatuns and thus over Fredrik's products and I know from experience what a formative listening impression can cause. But I always say that if music only works between the ears, a very important experience is missing.

Regarding equipment, we are probably of the same opinion, reduction to the essentials. Why does the Boazo just come to mind?
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2021-11-30 18:24 According to your description, a similar impression could have arisen as with my decision at the time. He will perhaps brood over the Sagatuns and thus over Fredrik's products and I know from experience what a formative listening impression can cause.

Regarding equipment, we are probably of the same opinion, reduction to the essentials. Why does the Boazu just come to mind?
All very good points Hermann, and we probably do have the same opinions.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-10-20 17:17
It was exciting to hear about the new Linn Klimax Radikal 2 power supply. And after discussing my options with Thomas, it seems that I can have my unit upgraded instead of selling it and buying the newer version. I have owned several Linn turntable power supplies, and each power supply has sounded better than the previous unit. So needless to say, I trust the new Klimax Radikal will certainly sound better than the current unit. And this upgrade shouldn't take very long to complete.

I'm also happy to hear about the new Linn Ekstatik moving coil cartridge. And although my Kandid cartridge is far from being worn out, I'll likely purchase the Ekstatik when the time comes to replace my current cartridge. It will be exciting to hear the Ekstatik through my Entity phono preamplifier!
Brief update regarding turntable upgrades: The new Klimax Radikal 2 power supply upgrade has arrived, and it will be installed by Thomas O'Keefe. In addition, I have decided to replace my Kandid cartridge with the new Linn Ekstatik cartridge, instead of waiting for the Kandid to wear out first. And as it turns out, Thomas will be able to install both items before Christmas day!

And maybe I'll get to hear the new Källa in person, rather than listening through the computer and internet!
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Congratulations Tony. I hope mine will be available soon. I am of course looking forward to your ( detailed ;-) ) report. Some information are available in the meantime and read very promising.
Trust your ears
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Excellent news Tony, enjoy your holidays.
Music First ...
Vlado
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I heard this upgrade (including the Ekstatik) at a friend's recently and you are certainly in for a real treat, enjoy :-)
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2021-12-19 19:30 Congratulations Tony. I hope mine will be available soon. I am of course looking forward to your ( detailed ;-) ) report. Some information are available in the meantime and read very promising.
Thank you Hermann, and I will be sure to report my findings later next week sometime. Hopefully, your new parts will arrive soon as well. And in the meantime, I'll read all the current information that's available.

Harmoni Audio Shelving Update

There are a few design changes, as well as manufacturing & material issues being resolved currently. I'll have additional information once these issues are officially settled.

Happy Holidays...
Last edited by Tony Tune-age on 2021-12-22 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-12-20 14:17 Excellent news Tony, enjoy your holidays.
Thank you very much V.A.MKD and I hope you enjoy your holidays too!
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tendaberry wrote: 2021-12-21 11:47 I heard this upgrade (including the Ekstatik) at a friend's recently and you are certainly in for a real treat, enjoy :-)
Thanks for the information Tendaberry, it's very much appreciated. I'm glad you were able to hear the Klimax Radikal 2 and the Ekstatik at the same time, and on the same system.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

By the way, what type of amplifiers and speakers is your friend using with his LP12?
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-12-22 20:21
Tendaberry wrote: 2021-12-21 11:47 I heard this upgrade (including the Ekstatik) at a friend's recently and you are certainly in for a real treat, enjoy :-)
Thanks for the information Tendaberry, it's very much appreciated. I'm glad you were able to hear the Klimax Radikal 2 and the Ekstatik at the same time, and on the same system.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Here's to wishing everybody an enjoyable holiday, and good cheer! Our holiday began yesterday, when we drove to Ann Arbor, Michigan for a day of learning and listening. I was finally able to hear the Lejonklou Källa streamer, and the Linn Klimax DSM streamer. In addition, we were able to listen and compare the Källa streamer to an LP12 with a Kandid cartridge and Akurate Radikal power supply.

Overall, the Källa was very impressive from the start. It did not sound like a digital streamer, it was simple and very easy to use (unlike the Linn DSM unit). I've heard people say the Källa sounds like an analog device, and to my ears it does. It's very musical, and reveals subtle details with ease. And although the Linn DSM does sound really good, it doesn't sound as realistic or as musical as the Källa streamer. And unfortunately the Linn DSM is priced way above the Källa, approximately 4.875 times as much.

Comparing the Källa with the LP12 was more interesting to my ears. They were very similar sounding overall, however I did prefer the LP12 by a small margin. But that said the LP12 setup was more expensive than the Källa streamer, and it's not as simple to setup and use as the Källa either.
Tony Tune-age
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-12-23 13:59 By the way, what type of amplifiers and speakers is your friend using with his LP12?
Top spec Klimax LP12, Klimax DSM/2, Klimax active filters, 8 Solos, Komris.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tendaberry wrote: 2021-12-26 13:05
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-12-23 13:59 By the way, what type of amplifiers and speakers is your friend using with his LP12?
Top spec Klimax LP12, Klimax DSM/2, Klimax active filters, 8 Solos, Komris.
Excellent system, I'm sure it sounds great...thanks for sharing Tendaberry! The four types of Linn speakers I've always enjoyed and really liked are the Komri, Keltik, Isobarak and Sara.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5310/2993 ... 76cf_b.jpg
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Good morning, I hope everyone is still in good spirits and ready for the new year!

We had an adventurous Christmas Eve this year, which included a pleasant road trip to Overture Audio in Ann Arbor, Michigan. And surprisingly, the weather was great for travelling...especially for December in the Midwest! The new LP12 parts had finally arrived, and we wanted to get them installed before Christmas day. Because on that day, we always listen to "I believe in father Christmas," from the Emerson Lake & Palmer Works Volume 2 album (original vinyl recording Atlantic Record Label, original release date 1977).

As previously mentioned, I ordered the Linn Klimax Radikal 2 power supply upgrade kit, and the Ekstatik moving coil cartridge a few weeks ago. However, it'll be awhile before everything is properly burned in, so my listening report might be around Thursday or Friday of next week. By then, the turntable motor should have around 100 hours of burn in time, although the cartridge won't have nearly as much burn in time.

Klimax Radikal 2 Upgrades:

Needless to say, I was very excited when Thomas showed me the boxes of new parts. These were my two main Christmas presents and probably the most fun as well. I hadn't realized just how many parts were going to be replaced in the Radikal power supply, but soon learned. Thomas replaced the cable connecting sockets, circuit board, turntable motor and the speed sensing device.

The old circuit board on the left side, and the new circuit board on the right side:

Tony Tune-age