Tony Tune-age System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Re: MUSIC COMPARISON

Post by tpetsch »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-05-06 23:51 I decided to start the weekend early, with another music comparison. These two music links are the same song. Which link sounds best? And how does it sound better?

1) https://www.dropbox.com/s/dezcd3mug0qhv8i/BP1.mp4?dl=0

2) https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9el7h6wrqdnnj9/BP2.mp4?dl=0
#1 is more "in tune" than #2, so #1 for me.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tony Tune-age System

Post by Charlie1 »

I find the timing is slightly out in 2 - I think it's the bass lagging slightly behind - so I have to pick 1.

If it wasn't for that then I think I'd prefer 2.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-05-07 07:39 I find the timing is slightly out in 2 - I think it's the bass lagging slightly behind - so I have to pick 1.

If it wasn't for that then I think I'd prefer 2.
So both links sound good, except for the bass lagging in link two. That's an interesting observation, and it's been said that the timing is slightly out in link two also.
Tony Tune-age
nmakowsk

Post by nmakowsk »

Its interesting how close your Isobariks are together compared to mine at the corners of the room. They sound great Tony and cool song! When I originally placed mine about the same distance apart as yours I had zero bass. I mean weak anemic not even there bass. It really points to getting the setup right for each room and it looks like you got it right too. Folks who think this is an outdated speaker have never heard them properly setup or with a good source. I have read reviews paint them as an 80's colored, cupped hands mids, sounding speaker but all I hear is musicians in my room. A friend of mine completely passed on Isobariks with the Lejonklou full mono setup because the positioning was never close enough to a load bearing wall to energize the room correctly. They were near a partition wall where his 350s were and there was never a lack of bass with those speakers. On the contrary, there was too much bass with the 350s that could even cause an LP12 feedback loop unless careful attention was paid to rack usage and positioning. Eventually my friend went with using space OP because he said it controlled the bass better. I always liked it better with OP turned off but we all have our preferences so I can't say he's wrong.

One day it would be nice to see a pair of tundra monos in place of that huge amp in your videos. I bet you will certainly hear better bass players in your listening room and they won't be lagging behind. Glad to see you having fun please let us know what the change is.
Last edited by nmakowsk on 2021-05-07 17:25, edited 2 times in total.
LP12/Kar/ARad1/Kore/Ekos SE1/NOKTable/Adikt/Slipsik 8.0/Giella Pi 1.2/Tundra Stereo 2.2/1992 Briks
nmakowsk

Post by nmakowsk »

oh I might as well post my impression about the clips. They both sound very good but what I paid attention to how the guitar riff reverb notes seemed more attention grabbing on clip one. In clip two, they sounded more buried in the mix and didn't catch my attention. This is clear proof that there is still excellent new artists emerging today. I had to search for this group because it sounded like something from Motown in the early 70s.
LP12/Kar/ARad1/Kore/Ekos SE1/NOKTable/Adikt/Slipsik 8.0/Giella Pi 1.2/Tundra Stereo 2.2/1992 Briks
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Enjoyed reading you posts nmakowsk.

How close are your Briks Tony? I want to try mine closer together.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Good afternoon Nmakowsk,

Thank you for the comments. It's good to know others still appreciate the sonic virtues of the original Isobarik speaker. And of course speaker placement is dependent upon the room shape and size. I'll provide more speaker placement details and information, after I measure everything again.

I really like my stereo amplifier, it sounds very musical and performs flawlessly.

Cheers!

nmakowsk wrote: 2021-05-07 15:20 Its interesting how close your Isobariks are together compared to mine at the corners of the room. They sound great Tony and cool song! When I originally placed mine about the same distance apart as yours I had zero bass. I mean weak anemic not even there bass. It really points to getting the setup right for each room and it looks like you got it right too. Folks who think this is an outdated speaker have never heard them properly setup or with a good source. I have read reviews paint them as an 80's colored, cupped hands mids, sounding speaker but all I hear is musicians in my room. A friend of mine completely passed on Isobariks with the Lejonklou full mono setup because the positioning was never close enough to a load bearing wall to energize the room correctly. They were near a partition wall where his 350s were and there was never a lack of bass with those speakers. On the contrary, there was too much bass with the 350s that could even cause an LP12 feedback loop unless careful attention was paid to rack usage and positioning. Eventually my friend went with using space OP because he said it controlled the bass better. I always liked it better with OP turned off but we all have our preferences so I can't say he's wrong.

One day it would be nice to see a pair of tundra monos in place of that huge amp in your videos. I bet you will certainly hear better bass players in your listening room and they won't be lagging behind. Glad to see you having fun please let us know what the change is.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-05-07 15:56 How close are your Briks Tony? I want to try mine closer together.
Good afternoon Charlie1,

I just finished measuring the various speaker distances (from each other and the wall). They are 46" from each other, and each speaker is toed-in about 1.25". And the right speaker is a little farther from the wall, than the left speaker. It took us a few days to find the optimum speaker placement, but it was worth the effort.

You might have to just try different placement distances, to determine what's best for your room. Proper speaker placement is critical for sure!

By the way, there is a technical reason why the bass was lagging...and it's not because of the power amplifier.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

nmakowsk wrote: 2021-05-07 15:29 oh I might as well post my impression about the clips. They both sound very good but what I paid attention to how the guitar riff reverb notes seemed more attention grabbing on clip one. In clip two, they sounded more buried in the mix and didn't catch my attention. This is clear proof that there is still excellent new artists emerging today. I had to search for this group because it sounded like something from Motown in the early 70s.
I'm very impressed with the Black Pumas, and their music skill is every bit as good as other quality bands from the past. They received a major award recently, which is where I first heard them. And that's when I went searching for their album!

By the way, there are issues with music link two, and the reason will be revealed eventually.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-05-07 18:44 I just finished measuring the various speaker distances (from each other and the wall). They are 46" from each other, and each speaker is toed-in about 1.25". And the right speaker is a little farther from the wall, than the left speaker. It took us a few days to find the optimum speaker placement, but it was worth the effort.

You might have to just try different placement distances, to determine what's best for your room. Proper speaker placement is critical for sure!

By the way, there is a technical reason why the bass was lagging...and it's not because of the power amplifier.
Thanks Tony!

I went ahead earlier anyway. Mine are now 43" apart so the tweeters are about 148cm apart.

I will try a bit further apart though.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I definitely prefer clip 1. It moves better and is more musical throughout. It also has this subtle voice in the background about 10 seconds in that is not there at all on clip 2. ;-)

I just received that album late last week and had a chance to listen to part of it last weekend. I am quite enjoying it. I heard about it on an NPR program.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
nmakowsk

Post by nmakowsk »

Hi Tony, sorry to poke fun at your power amp. There wasn't anything in the clips that made it sound off because of the amp but now that you have the Sagatun I was simply guessing at your next move. Atleast try a pair of monos some day and let us know your thoughts. What brand of amp is that anyways? Also I am curious which speakers you were running before deciding to use the Isobariks? Sounds like you have experience with the Saras and maybe many more. My next step is maybe a Harmoni rack and I think you might have bought the last Noktable that was available.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-05-07 19:10 I'm very impressed with the Black Pumas...
Have you had the chance to see them in concert? We got to do so pre pandemic... Highly recommended.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-05-07 20:12
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-05-07 18:44 I just finished measuring the various speaker distances (from each other and the wall). They are 46" from each other, and each speaker is toed-in about 1.25". And the right speaker is a little farther from the wall, than the left speaker. It took us a few days to find the optimum speaker placement, but it was worth the effort.

Thanks Tony!

I went ahead earlier anyway. Mine are now 43" apart so the tweeters are about 148cm apart.

I will try a bit further apart though.
Just let us know how everything turns out...hopefully you'll find the sweet spot!

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-05-07 22:39
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-05-07 19:10 I'm very impressed with the Black Pumas...
Have you had the chance to see them in concert? We got to do so pre pandemic...Highly recommended.
Appreciate your recommendation Tokenbrit! We haven't seen them yet, but we are scheduled to see them in concert this coming August!

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

nmakowsk wrote: 2021-05-07 20:48 Hi Tony, sorry to poke fun at your power amp. There wasn't anything in the clips that made it sound off because of the amp but now that you have the Sagatun I was simply guessing at your next move. Atleast try a pair of monos some day and let us know your thoughts. What brand of amp is that anyways? Also I am curious which speakers you were running before deciding to use the Isobariks? Sounds like you have experience with the Saras and maybe many more. My next step is maybe a Harmoni rack and I think you might have bought the last Noktable that was available.
That's cool Nmakowsk, it's all good! Actually, the stereo amplifier is a Perreaux 350P and the company is located in New Zealand. It was recently recapped after consulting both Perreaux and their authorized service providers for the best sounding electrolytic capacitors. There is more information and pictures regarding my stereo amplifier on page four of this thread. And on page three, there's a picture of a Harmoni audio rack which was compared to my current audio rack. I do have the NOKtable as well, but didn't realize it was the last one available.

Before the Isobariks, I did have a pair of Linn Index speakers which contained one Sara woofer and one tweeter. However, they were modified extensively. The crossovers were mounted in their own box (set up for bi-amp or bi-wire) and the tweeters were replaced with a better sounding Linn tweeter. Also for a short period of time, I had a pair of Linn Helix speakers with the Ku-Stone stands. Then my goal was to purchase the Sara's after hearing how they sounded peoples homes, and not just in the audio shop. However, a set of Isobariks became available and the rest is history as they say!

Some of the other speakers I owned were Ohm's, Cerwin Vegas, Advent's, Infinity and JBL's (small and large models).

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-05-07 20:45 I definitely prefer clip 1. It moves better and is more musical throughout. It also has this subtle voice in the background about 10 seconds in that is not there at all on clip 2. ;-)
Actually, the voice you heard in the first link was my voice. I was talking in another room, and apparently my voice was recorded too. I wondered if anyone would notice...and you did!

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-05-06 23:51 I decided to start the weekend early, with another music comparison. These two music links are the same song. Which link sounds best? And how does it sound better?

What were we listening to then Tony?
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-05-08 09:39

What were we listening to then Tony?
Music link one: Back switch on the Sagatun stereo preamplifier is in the down position (single source only input).

Music link two: Back switch on the Sagatun stereo preamplifier is in the up position (normal operation input).

So everyone can hear the difference between each input, and judge for themselves which is more musical. And honestly, I thought Fredrik would guess immediately what was being heard with these two musical links.

Thanks to all that listened and participated...

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-05-08 15:22 And honestly, I thought Fredrik would guess immediately what was being heard with these two musical links.
Sorry Tony! I arrived too late to this party.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Tony - I was never gonna guess that.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

About time you made the switch... ;)
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-05-08 20:08
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-05-08 15:22 And honestly, I thought Fredrik would guess immediately what was being heard with these two musical links.
Sorry Tony! I arrived too late to this party.
No worries, good luck with the new Kalla!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-05-08 23:17 Thanks Tony - I was never gonna guess that.
I'm glad it was a surprise Charlie! However, I really thought some people familiar with the Sagatun stereo preamplifier or Sagatun mono preamplifier would know immediately what was being compared.

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-05-08 23:31 About time you made the switch... ;)
It is, thanks!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age