Tony Tune-age System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tony Tune-age System

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I think it will take awhile for the cartridge to fully burn in, but is does continue to improve slowly. And we are very happy with the progress. Apparently we're suppose to get hit with a real bad winter storm for the next couple of days, so we'll just sit back and enjoy the LP12 until the thaw...
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

A good opportunity indeed. But I hope you're safe and don't have to worry.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2022-02-03 14:52 A good opportunity indeed. But I hope you're safe and don't have to worry.
Thank you Hermann, we did stay safe but had a ton of shoveling to do for several days (3 inches of ice, and 9 inches of snow). We're making arrangements for a few listening sessions with friends soon, they want to hear the new Ekstatik and Radikal 2 for themselves. Should be an interesting experience...

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I have a question regarding the Sagatun volume and mute light. I inadvertently left the blinking mute light on for a couple of days without noticing. How significant is that, and will it shorten the life very much?

Thanks
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Not at all, if the LED is operated at the correct operating point, which I assume is the case with Fredriks products. I also leave the LEDs flashing. So have gotten used to it.

How was the session?
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2022-02-24 15:47 Not at all, if the LED is operated at the correct operating point, which I assume is the case with Fredriks products. I also leave the LEDs flashing. So have gotten used to it.

How was the session?
Thanks for that Hermann, glad it will be okay if left flashing for a few days. I'm sure Fredrik has everything operating 100% correctly. Actually we had a really great listening session during the winter storm, and we had plenty of time to hear a wide variety of music. In addition, we finally got back to vinyl cataloging and indexing using a different system now. Of course we'll be entering lots of data for awhile, but we'll have a much broader range of information and sorting options (including value ranges).

I'm still impressed with the LP12 upgrades, and the higher musical level at which the LP12 is performing. The music is even more natural and realistic sounding than ever before, and of course way more enjoyable too! And at this point, it will be very interesting to hear what improvement a new Harmoni audio rack will bring to my system.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

tpetsch wrote: 2022-01-31 23:12Also, if you don't mind me making a suggestion, you might find that installing grills back onto your Briks helps dispersion & overall InTune'ness, Briks were actually designed to function with them in place. I tried it both ways myself several times over the years and I always go back to using them.
I have been looking for replacement grills for my Isobarik speakers, but haven't found any companies that sell Isobarik replacement grills (at least in the United States). Thomas said Linn no longer sells replacement grill for these speakers, but he thinks there might be a company somewhere in the UK. Does anybody know of a such a place in the UK area?
Tony Tune-age
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2022-03-18 21:40
tpetsch wrote: 2022-01-31 23:12Also, if you don't mind me making a suggestion, you might find that installing grills back onto your Briks helps dispersion & overall InTune'ness, Briks were actually designed to function with them in place. I tried it both ways myself several times over the years and I always go back to using them.
I have been looking for replacement grills for my Isobarik speakers, but haven't found any companies that sell Isobarik replacement grills (at least in the United States). Thomas said Linn no longer sells replacement grill for these speakers, but he thinks there might be a company somewhere in the UK. Does anybody know of a such a place in the UK area?
I got my current set from this guy a few years back, they are cut just like the originals and look / sound fantastic & added bonus, these won't disintegrate over time like the OEM's. In fact I was surprised that they looked so good when I opened the box, then doubly pleased when they also fit perfectly & didn't mess up the sound/tune but were actually indistinguishable sound wise from the originals -I thought even slightly better as the originals became more dense/soggy due to their internal structural deterioration- which have begun flaking away years ago and are now basically trash, DMS grills definitely sound better when fitted, designed to be fitted, sound worse when not fitted, they are located in the US though, good luck. BTW: I did not find this site and have no connection with them, my good friend -ex Linn dealer- supplied me with the link, several ex-customers have bought these, sometimes there is a wait to get them as he does grills in small batches. ...http://foamspeakergrilles.com/
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Good evening tpetsch and thanks for the information. What is the name of the company (or guy) that sold Brik grilles to you? And they are in the U.S. as well? I'll be sure look at the link you provided, and I really don't mind waiting (as long as they fit well and sound good).
tpetsch wrote: 2022-03-18 22:36
I got my current set from this guy a few years back, they are cut just like the originals and look / sound fantastic & added bonus, these won't disintegrate over time like the OEM's. In fact I was surprised that they looked so good when I opened the box, then doubly pleased when they also fit perfectly & didn't mess up the sound/tune but were actually indistinguishable sound wise from the originals -I thought even slightly better as the originals became more dense/soggy due to their internal structural deterioration- which have begun flaking away years ago and are now basically trash, DMS grills definitely sound better when fitted, designed to be fitted, sound worse when not fitted, they are located in the US though, good luck. BTW: I did not find this site and have no connection with them, my good friend -ex Linn dealer- supplied me with the link, several ex-customers have bought these, sometimes there is a wait to get them as he does grills in small batches. ...http://foamspeakergrilles.com/
Tony Tune-age
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2022-03-18 23:18 Good evening tpetsch and thanks for the information. What is the name of the company (or guy) that sold Brik grilles to you? And they are in the U.S. as well? I'll be sure look at the link you provided, and I really don't mind waiting (as long as they fit well and sound good).

So best thing I can tell you is to contact them thru the site with the link/email provided, ask about replacement Linn Isobarik grill sets. My grills came from this site but I got my set thru my friend who bought a few sets from them there. I was never personally in contact with anyone from there. As I mentioned before, I did not find this site, my friend did, I just reaped the benefits thru him. ...Now I'm passing what info -and my experience with their replacement grill set that I personally own- I have to you. Last time he ordered a set I believe it took about 3 weeks to get them. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Good morning tpetsch,

Thanks for the information! I've been very busy for a couple of months, so I'm just now getting back on the forum. I did send an e-mail message to the link below, and they did respond. However, they no longer have the measurements for the original Isobarik speaker grilles. And as such, I would need to send them an Isobarik grille, so they can have the exact dimensions to make a new set of grilles. I'm not sure how possible that would be, considering I don't have the original grilles...

Thanks again...
tpetsch wrote: 2022-03-19 00:27
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2022-03-18 23:18 Good evening tpetsch and thanks for the information. What is the name of the company (or guy) that sold Brik grilles to you? And they are in the U.S. as well? I'll be sure look at the link you provided, and I really don't mind waiting (as long as they fit well and sound good).

So best thing I can tell you is to contact them thru the site with the link/email provided, ask about replacement Linn Isobarik grill sets. My grills came from this site but I got my set thru my friend who bought a few sets from them there. I was never personally in contact with anyone from there. As I mentioned before, I did not find this site, my friend did, I just reaped the benefits thru him. ...Now I'm passing what info -and my experience with their replacement grill set that I personally own- I have to you. Last time he ordered a set I believe it took about 3 weeks to get them. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I just found out from Thomas the other day there's another upgrade for the Entity 1.1, and the cost is really low! The turntable grounding section has been changed with different parts, and the idea comes from from the Singularity. And the sonic improvement is big enough to make the Entity a 1.2 now.

Needless to say, I'll be getting my Entity 1.1 turned into an Entity 1.2...
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Hi Tony,
Interesting news. After all, it's recommended not to connect the LP12 to ground unless it's humming. There is a very small but audible difference. Let's see what Fredrik or Tom say about that.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I'm finally getting around to upgrading my Entity 1.1 to the 1.2 version. My intention was to get it done sooner, but I got busy with several other projects that needed attention. And of course the Sagatun Stereo Preamplifier has another upgrade offering as well, although I didn't know until today. Needless to say, that project will be next...
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I'm glad Tony. Entity 1.1 to 1.2 is an inconspicuous update with a big impact. And the Sagatun upgrade is a real revelation.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2024-01-23 11:41 I'm glad Tony. Entity 1.1 to 1.2 is an inconspicuous update with a big impact. And the Sagatun upgrade is a real revelation.
Good morning Hermann, do you already have the Sagatun 1.7 upgrade?
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hermann wrote: 2024-01-23 11:41 I'm glad Tony. Entity 1.1 to 1.2 is an inconspicuous update with a big impact. And the Sagatun upgrade is a real revelation.
I agree. I wasn't entirely sold on the Entity until hearing the 1.2 version (kindly loaned by a forum member). Bought a Slipsik 8 in the end but that was no reflection on the 1.2 performance.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2024-01-23 15:51
Hi Tony,

I have the Sagatun update, yes. It is described on the last pages of my thread. Since other torque settings have been made, I'm currently listening again.

Beyond doubt for me your musical gain will be enormous with that upgrade and I think you will be amazed.

P.S. If your briks do not have coverings yet , I would be happy to send you some photos of what the smooth foam looks like.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Good morning Hermann,

Glad to hear you have the 1.7 upgrade, and I did read the most recent posts in your system thread...most interesting indeed. It's certainly a significant upgrade, with several parts and new specific torque values. As such, it probably takes a fair amount of time to complete everything that needs to be done.

I recently sent my Entity to Thomas for the 1.2 upgrade, but at the time I didn't realize the Sagatun had an available upgrade as well. And if I had known, I would have sent both components for upgrading at the same time. But in any case, I'm sure it will be done eventually.

As it turns out, my Isobariks still don't have covers yet. And it would be nice to see what your covers look like Hermann!

Cheers!

Hermann wrote: 2024-01-24 13:49
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2024-01-23 15:51
Hi Tony,

I have the Sagatun update, yes. It is described on the last pages of my thread. Since other torque settings have been made, I'm currently listening again.

Beyond doubt for me your musical gain will be enormous with that upgrade and I think you will be amazed.

P.S. If your briks do not have coverings yet , I would be happy to send you some photos of what the smooth foam looks like.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I got some good news today...my Entity has been upgraded to the 1.2 version, and is on the way home now. In addition, my Sagatun stereo preamplifier will be upgraded from 1.4 to 1.7 next week. And as previously stated by Herman, Thomas O'Keefe said the Sagatun 1.7 upgrade is very noticeable. And as such, it will now sound better than the Superkikkin stereo preamplifier. Apparently, the Superkikkin sounds better than all the other Sagatun versions (which I didn't know).

And if I'm not spilling the beans here, Fredrik maybe looking into making the Sagatun mono preamplifier with a smaller cabinet. Which means both units could fit onto a single audio rack shelf. And if that happens, it would be music to my ears!

Once everything gets settled in, I will report back with my findings...although there's probably nothing I can say about my experiences that others haven't already said.

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

The superkikkin has never been better then the Sagatun Mono not 1.4 or 1.7.
It might be close to the stereo version, but the mono is still a different league
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

IIRC, Fredrik mentioned this ranking:
SS 1.7 > SK > SS 1.4
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

matthias wrote: 2024-01-27 12:14 IIRC, Fredrik mentioned this ranking:
SS 1.7 > SK > SS 1.4
No
lejonklou wrote: 2023-10-03 00:19 I don’t have any Sagatun to compare with, so I’m unsure of those comparisons. But I do think Superkikkin is better than Giella Pi 1.2.

Sagatun Mono’s are the best.
I had the SK for 2 weeks while my SM were upgraded to 1.7
The SM 1.4 is much better then SK
Last edited by Sopper on 2024-01-27 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member