Tony Tune-age System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tony Tune-age System

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tendaberry wrote: 2020-05-29 10:03This may seem like a strange suggestion coming from someone, who also has the LP12 in a corner (no room elsewhere): have you thought about switching the position the two racks, so that the LP12 moves out of the corner? Might be an improvement
Hello Tendaberry,

That is an excellent question. We did experiment with a few different turntable locations, before making a final choice. Also, we listened to how it sounded at various distances from the wall(s). The current turntable placement is a little better sounding than the reverse. Plus it's better protected and doesn't get bumped into. However, we did find the optimum distance from the back wall, and side wall. And if placed any closer, it just doesn't sound as good. So there is merit to your question, it can sound worse if placed too tight in a corner. While it's not surprising the new NOKTable is better sounding than The Sound Organization table, it does appear to have a wider range of placement distances.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Tony

Just noticed you have 038 tweeters in the front of your Isobariks. Are they on the top too?
Not seen this modification anywhere else, but it makes a lot of sense.
Are the 'briks modified in any other way (with apologies if this has been covered before - its a very long thread to trawl through to check!)?
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2020-06-06 11:27Just noticed you have 038 tweeters in the front of your Isobariks. Are they on the top too? Not seen this modification anywhere else, but it makes a lot of sense. Are the 'briks modified in any other way (with apologies if this has been covered before - its a very long thread to trawl through to check!)?
Good morning sunbeamgls,

I had all four tweeters replaced by ThomasOK, and there are some pictures posted on page three of my system thread. Theses particular tweeters were recommended by Thomas, and a few other people as well. Needles to say, they do sound better than the Linn D20-LP-2 (with the concentric circles and Linn logo).

And that is the only modification to my Isobariks. However, they do have two passive crossovers per cabinet with three pin XLR connectors. Some passive Isobariks have one crossover per cabinet with the RCA connectors.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-06-08 13:29
sunbeamgls wrote: 2020-06-06 11:27Just noticed you have 038 tweeters in the front of your Isobariks. Are they on the top too? Not seen this modification anywhere else, but it makes a lot of sense. Are the 'briks modified in any other way (with apologies if this has been covered before - its a very long thread to trawl through to check!)?
Good morning sunbeamgls,

I had all four tweeters replaced by ThomasOK, and there are some pictures posted on page three of my system thread. Theses particular tweeters were recommended by Thomas, and a few other people as well. Needles to say, they do sound better than the Linn D20-LP-2 (with the concentric circles and Linn logo).

And that is the only modification to my Isobariks. However, they do have two passive crossovers per cabinet with three pin XLR connectors. Some passive Isobariks have one crossover per cabinet with the RCA connectors.

Cheers
Thanks for the info TTA
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Magnum Dynalab Antenna and Ekos/1

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-05-26 19:32
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2019-09-24 22:52 I would like to thank everybody on this forum that provided a comment or an opinion, regarding FM antennas (especially the Magnum Dynalab antennas). It was greatly appreciated, and the information played a role in my final decision. And as it turns out, I will be ordering the MD ST-2 antenna.
Since my turntable is officially completed (for now anyway), it's time to install the MD ST-2 antenna. I just got to scrape up the energy...and realize the tuner will never sound close to the Sondek.
Last week I was finally able to install the new MD ST-2 antenna, and it's a really great improvement over the previous antenna. The signals are much stronger, and the back ground noise is much lower as well. And needless to say, listening to FM frequencies isn't as unpleasant now. Voices are more natural sounding and it's a little more musical too. Of course it still isn't as musical as an LP12...but what is?

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-06-12 21:56Last week I was finally able to install the new MD ST-2 antenna, and it's a really great improvement over the previous antenna. The signals are much stronger, and the back ground noise is much lower as well. And needless to say, listening to FM frequencies isn't as unpleasant now. Voices are more natural sounding and it's a little more musical too. Of course it still isn't as musical as an LP12...but what is? Cheers
You may need a Kremlin with a live broadcast for that ;-)
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-06-12 21:56
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-05-26 19:32
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2019-09-24 22:52 I would like to thank everybody on this forum that provided a comment or an opinion, regarding FM antennas (especially the Magnum Dynalab antennas). It was greatly appreciated, and the information played a role in my final decision. And as it turns out, I will be ordering the MD ST-2 antenna.
Since my turntable is officially completed (for now anyway), it's time to install the MD ST-2 antenna. I just got to scrape up the energy...and realize the tuner will never sound close to the Sondek.
Last week I was finally able to install the new MD ST-2 antenna, and it's a really great improvement over the previous antenna. The signals are much stronger, and the back ground noise is much lower as well. And needless to say, listening to FM frequencies isn't as unpleasant now. Voices are more natural sounding and it's a little more musical too. Of course it still isn't as musical as an LP12...but what is?

Cheers
Thank you Tony, that is what I want to know about ST-2.
Cheers
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Tendaberry wrote: 2020-06-13 10:02
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-06-12 21:56Last week I was finally able to install the new MD ST-2 antenna, and it's a really great improvement over the previous antenna. The signals are much stronger, and the back ground noise is much lower as well. And needless to say, listening to FM frequencies isn't as unpleasant now. Voices are more natural sounding and it's a little more musical too. Of course it still isn't as musical as an LP12...but what is? Cheers
BBC Radio 3 for example ;-), but in the US is not available as FM, as far as I know, may as digital ... but that is not the same ...
Music First ...
Vlado
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I am fortunate enough to have that. WRCJ in Detroit does live broadcasts of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, at least they did until recently (and will again once concerts start back up). It does sound quite good, but I'm still not sure if it is LP12 good. I'll have to give it a go once concerts are back up and running. Meanwhile the classical during the day and jazz at night are quite enjoyable.

I also have to try and tune in some Canadian stations. A friend/customer of mine there has informed me that there are a few Canadian stations that are spinning vinyl again, usually on Friday or Saturday nights. Sounds like fun to me and a trend I hope catches on.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-06-13 13:02 Thank you Tony, that is what I want to know about ST-2.
Cheers
You're welcome V.A.MKD, I'm glad to help! Although the antenna's performance makes it easy to recommend.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-06-13 18:09
I am fortunate enough to have that. WRCJ in Detroit does live broadcasts of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, at least they did until recently (and will again once concerts start back up). It does sound quite good, but I'm still not sure if it is LP12 good. I'll have to give it a go once concerts are back up and running. Meanwhile the classical during the day and jazz at night are quite enjoyable.

I also have to try and tune in some Canadian stations. A friend/customer of mine there has informed me that there are a few Canadian stations that are spinning vinyl again, usually on Friday or Saturday nights. Sounds like fun to me and a trend I hope catches on.
I think it's a different listening experience Thomas .Would you listen to an LP differently if you were told you were only allowed to listen to it once.
As far as LP 12 Vs tuner is concerned I felt live broadcasts were the best way to listen to live classical music at home compared to recorded eg vinyl /cd/flac etc.Although I have read Klimax DS is better.
Radio 3s live recordings also sounded extremely good.
Small combos in the studio also had a really exhilarating sound/experience for me ,even on radio 2.
There is nothing like it when you tune into a station and they announce a couple of musicians you really admire have just come into the studio and are going to play live for us now.A combo that springs to mind was Nitin Sawney and Ravi Shankar's daughter ,that's Anouska not Norah Jones 😁.The set was so good after they finished,I tweeted NS to say I thoroughly enjoyed that ,to which I got an almost immediate thanks Leo . Never get that buzz with an Lp12 😎
I know that tune
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Black Lejonklou Polo Shirt:

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Well, my new Lejonklou polo shirt just arrived and it looks very nice. It's black with white lettering (Lejonklou) on the upper front left side of the shirt. Basically, it matches my Entity!

Thanks Thomas and Fredrick...
Tony Tune-age
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

A picture of that polo shirt would be nice!
I often wondered why Linn with their extremely devoted costumers do not have any promotion stuff. I would gladly buy the baseball cap and the coffee mug.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I have a Linn t-shirt :-) And there's always this:
Komri.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Robert Lake wrote: 2020-08-06 08:30A picture of that polo shirt would be nice!
I often wondered why Linn with their extremely devoted costumers do not have any promotion stuff. I would gladly buy the baseball cap and the coffee mug.
Good suggestion, I'll try to get a picture posted when time permits. But in the meantime, it's a very nice shirt indeed!

I never really understood why Linn didn't have any promotional materials. Perhaps they couldn't afford such an endeavor, or maybe they just never cared. Either way, the world may never know!

Cheers
Last edited by Tony Tune-age on 2020-08-06 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Linn has had promotional stuff from time to time but they mostly seem to go to dealers and distributors. I actually have a Linn terry cloth bathrobe and a wool sweater (I think Shetland wool), plus a sweatshirt and a few different t-shirts, one of which is the "I Use Mine Every Night!" t-shirt.
The LP12 Whisperer
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-08-06 18:37 Linn has had promotional stuff from time to time but they mostly seem to go to dealers and distributors. I actually have a Linn terry cloth bathrobe and a wool sweater (I think Shetland wool), plus a sweatshirt and a few different t-shirts, one of which is the "I Use Mine Every Night!" t-shirt.
That's interesting, I never knew they had promotional stuff. Nobody ever mentioned it to me, plus I never saw an advertisement for promotional stuff either. I'm learning something new everyday...!!!
Tony Tune-age
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-08-06 18:37 Linn has had promotional stuff from time to time but they mostly seem to go to dealers and distributors. I actually have a Linn terry cloth bathrobe and a wool sweater (I think Shetland wool), plus a sweatshirt and a few different t-shirts, one of which is the "I Use Mine Every Night!" t-shirt.
Time for the Lejonklou LoinCloth??? 😂
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Black Lejonklou Polo Shirt:

Post by lejonklou »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-08-05 21:31 Well, my new Lejonklou polo shirt just arrived and it looks very nice. It's black with white lettering (Lejonklou) on the upper front left side of the shirt. Basically, it matches my Entity!

Thanks Thomas and Fredrick...
Glad you liked it Tony!

Thomas should be the one to thank, he had them made.

Chris at Hidden Systems in the UK had some Lejonklou polo shirts made as well. I suspect that stock is long gone now, though.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-08-06 18:41
That's interesting, I never knew they had promotional stuff. Nobody ever mentioned it to me, plus I never saw an advertisement for promotional stuff either. I'm learning something new everyday...!!!
Thomas is correct - the promotional material has only been for dealers - with one or two very small exceptions. For example you could buy a Linn whisky glass on ebay about 6 months ago as they cleared out some stock from the 40th anniversary event. They did a "Hear Linn Live" in 2005 series of UK events and there were t-shirts for attendees. Otherwise the polo shirts, t-shirts and oxford shirts seem to have been dealer only.

Some pics at the end of the advertising stuff here: http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/p ... hures.html

Naim just launched t-shirts and mugs at the Bristol Hifi Show in February 2020 - they seemed to be doing a good trade. Linn should do this too, as perhaps should Fredrik
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Thanks for your input with the Lejonklou coffee mugs sunbeamgls! My vote has been officially submitted!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

PERIODIC CONTACT CLEANING

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Part of keeping my system sounding it's best, is to clean the all cable contacts periodically. And since it's the start of a new year, I figured it was a good time to clean them again. I gently disconnected all the cable contacts, blew away the dust particles and then wiped each contact with a clean dry cloth. Then using the same cloth, I wiped away the dust that had settled on the interconnects, speaker cable and power cords before reconnecting them. Although it takes a little time to do this, it's definitely worth the effort. The sound improvement is small, but noticeable!

In addition, I routinely keep the components and speakers clear of dust...primarily on an as needed basis. I'm not sure if keeping dust off of the components has a sound improvement, but it does keep my system looking nice.

Hope everyone's new year is off to a good start!
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

When we sell demo gear we have been known to inform the customers that we aren't charging them anything extra for the "audiophile dust" on them. ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-01-08 19:10 When we sell demo gear we have been known to inform the customers that we aren't charging them anything extra for the "audiophile dust" on them. ;-)
Well that’s customer service!
Can you send me one oz :P
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Be careful what you ask for. ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer