Tony Tune-age System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tony Tune-age System

Post by Tony Tune-age »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-01-19 10:13 That will be good … 2 x Entity … SINGularity alternative.

If I may ask … Have you check Power Cords as suggested here …

From the pics I see that you are using different than suggested here … I'm in process of changing all power cords and power strips so your opinion will be welcomed.
Hello V.A.MKD,

The power cords were chosen over a period of years, after extensive listening and research. I started by listening to various power cords that typically come with stereo components. And much to my surprise, there were some differences. But not what I considered to be significantly different.

I then tried several aftermarket power cords from various manufacturers (i.e., Elrod Power Systems, PS Audio, Shunyata, Synergistic Research, and many others). I tried at least two, and sometimes four different power cords from each company at various price points. This was a time consuming project, but I did learn a great deal when it was all said and done. Overall, the first thing I learned was price did not dictate which power cord would sound better. The second thing I learned was everybody had their own opinion about which aftermarket power cords sounded better. But eventually I was able to sort through the jungle of power cords, and now have what sounds best for my particular stereo system.

I no longer have an interest, or the urge to continue experimenting with power cords. And the Lejonklou Entity has it's own built-in power cord, which means no worries for me!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-01-19 10:29 Looking very smart as always Tony.
Greetings Sir Charlie1,

It's always good to hear your thoughts, thanks for the kind words!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

OscarH wrote: 2020-01-19 11:04 Very nice!

Just looked closer at the ‘periferals’ (though I admit it’s a poorly chosen word for the actual music as that’s what’s it’s all about at the end of the day): Coincidently I listened to both ‘Drama’ and ‘Exile on Main St.’ last night.
Thank you Oscarh,

Sounds like you have good taste in music too!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Hi Tony,
Thank you very much for your answer ...
Looks that we all have past the same (almost) way on our journey ...
All the best ... :)
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-01-19 23:40
V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-01-19 10:13 That will be good … 2 x Entity … SINGularity alternative.

If I may ask … Have you check Power Cords as suggested here …

From the pics I see that you are using different than suggested here … I'm in process of changing all power cords and power strips so your opinion will be welcomed.
Hello V.A.MKD,

The power cords were chosen over a period of years, after extensive listening and research. I started by listening to various power cords that typically come with stereo components. And much to my surprise, there were some differences. But not what I considered to be significantly different.

I then tried several aftermarket power cords from various manufacturers (i.e., Elrod Power Systems, PS Audio, Shunyata, Synergistic Research, and many others). I tried at least two, and sometimes four different power cords from each company at various price points. This was a time consuming project, but I did learn a great deal when it was all said and done. Overall, the first thing I learned was price did not dictate which power cord would sound better. The second thing I learned was everybody had their own opinion about which aftermarket power cords sounded better. But eventually I was able to sort through the jungle of power cords, and now have what sounds best for my particular stereo system.

I no longer have an interest, or the urge to continue experimenting with power cords. And the Lejonklou Entity has it's own built-in power cord, which means no worries for me!

Cheers
Music First ...
Vlado
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Tune-age

Post by Ron The Mon »

I had the opportunity to hear Tony's system a week ago. I reported on the "Entity" thread specifically about the Urika to Entity comparison I heard but not on Tony's system, so here goes:

I sort of invited myself to Tony's house. I never met him before and wanted to hear a Radikal Akurate vs. Klimax comparison (and Ekos SE vs. Ekos SE/1). Turns out that happened at ThomasOK's house a few weeks earlier and because of delayed messages, I missed it. So last week I ended up in Tom's car headed south away from an ice and snow storm. We finally landed in the Tony Tune-age Oasis.

On our trip down Tom expressed that Fredrik Lejonklou wanted to know why I didn't own any of his products yet. I told Tom I reside in a mansion as a matter of circumstance, drive an older Lexus, and in the Summer, l dwell on the smallest boat at the Detroit Yacht Club. I'm not complaining and Tom didn't fall for it. So I changed the subject.

I asked if the Entity would be Tony's first Lejonklou product. Tom said yes. HA! I was off the hook.

I brought along several records that I've listened to on my system recently and only was able to listen to ONE. Not only were we limited by time at Tony's but I couldn't listen to Tom's hi-fi later!

To be clear, I was in Tom O'Keefe's home. I looked at his hi-fi, and his SINGularity's Under Glass. I never got to hear it!!! I understand if you are punching your computer screen right now pretending it's my face.

Anyway, Tony has a super clean house. I'd be embarrassed to have him at my place without a weeks notice to spiff it up. His hi-fi room is quite small; smaller than mine and most I've been in. But that is square footage. About half that room is open floor plan going into a kitchen, and lower into a living room, and above into bedrooms. It's an interesting set-up for hi-fi room. He has no room treatments and didn't need it. It sounds like a huge room in a smallish room, which is what it is.

It's a rarity to me to listen to a hi-fi that is one source only, especially all analog. A Klimax LP12/Isobarik hi-fi that is one source only is extremely rare. Tony does have a Linn Pekin tuner, which I've never heard. I'd like to have seen the look on Tony's face when he connects his ST-2 antenna to it. Then again, maybe not as I don't know the music and sound quality played locally on his FM.

Anyway, what more is there to say? What about the software? Tony has a meager 1500 records by my count compared to 5K plus that I own. However, as I was thumbing through his collection, there wasn't a duff album! Not only were the records cool, they were original versions. You would be hard pressed to find a better record collection/hi-fi combination anywhere.

When we were leaving and I shook Tony's hand, he yanked me in for a hard hug. As we separated he looked me up and down and said it was nice to put a face to an internet moniker. I thought the same thing. I'd advise we all get out more and enjoy our hi-fis and live music with like minded-folks and spend less time behind a computer.

Ron The Mon
Needle-Freak
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

A little explanation. Ron was indeed in my house and saw the system, though he was less than excited by the vigorous greeting Bella gave him (she may be an 11 year old black lab but she loves meeting people). He was invited back in for a listen when we got back to the house but said he needed to get home. Since the entire trip lasted about 12 hours, in part due to dealing with the remnants of the ice storm on the way down, it was understandable that he was ready to head home. (It would still be a 4.5 hour drive one way in good weather). I'm sure I will manage to get him over at some point.

As to the "under glass" comment, I now keep an cracked LP12 dustcover a customer replaced over the SINGularity units when not in use. This is due to finding there was a dog nose print on the front of one that was particularly difficult to clean off when I polished them after fitting the 1.1 upgrade. Bella normally leaves the Hi-Fi alone having been trained early on that it is off limits. But in her dotage she seems to be reverting to a puppy once again, hence the nose print and eating the remains of a bag of pistachios on Saturday that she had never gone after before. She now seems to feel that it is OK to eat anything she can reach whether they are doggie sausages or chocolates or cookies, whether or not they are toxic! So I have had to "puppy" proof the house once again, including the SINGularities. :-(
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Nice stories ... :)))
Music First ...
Vlado
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Tony Tune-age Humor

Post by Ron The Mon »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-01-21 22:41 Nice stories ... :)))
V.A.MKD,
One more anecdote just for you:

Tony's online persona is one of an overly detailed perfectionist. Missing in his writing is his odd sense of humor; he was cracking me up occasionally with oddball statements and language.

At one point Tony pulled out a clear vinyl record to play (as seen above in one photo). I mentioned I bought a new record which had a digital download. As I was redeeming the download there was a questionnaire about my record buying habits. One question asked if I thought colored vinyl sounded better, worse, or the same. Tony chimed in there is no difference in sound quality. I asked how he knew that. He said in a deadpan way, "Because black is also a color.".

Ron The Mon
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Of course it’s a difference!
A clear LP have a much more transparent sound then a black, just hold it up against a light source and you’ll see, source first... :P
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tony Tune-age Humor

Post by V.A.MKD »

Hahahahahaaaaa, you are great, lucky you ... beside music, systems ... you have great friendship, it's priceless.
Ron The Mon wrote: 2020-01-22 20:54
V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-01-21 22:41 Nice stories ... :)))
V.A.MKD,
One more anecdote just for you:

Tony's online persona is one of an overly detailed perfectionist. Missing in his writing is his odd sense of humor; he was cracking me up occasionally with oddball statements and language.

At one point Tony pulled out a clear vinyl record to play (as seen above in one photo). I mentioned I bought a new record which had a digital download. As I was redeeming the download there was a questionnaire about my record buying habits. One question asked if I thought colored vinyl sounded better, worse, or the same. Tony chimed in there is no difference in sound quality. I asked how he knew that. He said in a deadpan way, "Because black is also a color.".

Ron The Mon
Music First ...
Vlado
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

maffe wrote: 2020-01-22 21:12 Of course it’s a difference!
A clear LP have a much more transparent sound then a black, just hold it up against a light source and you’ll see, source first... :P
Yes, the black records have a much darker quality!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

+1, as is "darker quality" or "sound" of 3 concert halls that I visit for live classical music concerts ...
ThomasOK wrote: 2020-01-22 23:41
maffe wrote: 2020-01-22 21:12 Of course it’s a difference!
Yes, the black records have a much darker quality!
Music First ...
Vlado
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tune-age

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2020-01-21 06:20It's an interesting set-up for hi-fi room. He has no room treatments and didn't need it.
Although the music room does not have the traditional sound treatments, an improvement did occur when I hung my framed album covers above the speakers. Also, the large framed (and autographed) Rolling Stones album cover improved the sound even more. Since the Isobariks have a midrange and tweeter on top, having the framed pictures above them did deflect the sound outwards into the room a little more.

In addition, changing out my previous sofa and chair (which were a heavy cloth material) to a leather set really tightened up the sound as well. And although neither of these room changes were done deliberately to improve sound, it turned out to be an unexpected and very nice surprise.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Nice to have room that don't need acoustical treatment ... (I don't like that in living room, at all) ... just decoration ... :)
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-01-23 19:17
Ron The Mon wrote: 2020-01-21 06:20It's an interesting set-up for hi-fi room. He has no room treatments and didn't need it.
Although the music room does not have the traditional sound treatments, an improvement did occur when I hung my framed album covers above the speakers. Also, the large framed (and autographed) Rolling Stones album cover improved the sound even more. Since the Isobariks have a midrange and tweeter on top, having the framed pictures above them did deflect the sound outwards into the room a little more.

In addition, changing out my previous sofa and chair (which were a heavy cloth material) to a leather set really tightened up the sound as well. And although neither of these room changes were done deliberately to improve sound, it turned out to be an unexpected and very nice surprise.

Cheers
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

During my long journey I have 5 rooms with system. The best sounding was my 1st and 5th - actual living room.
1st was with wood on the walls and heavy carpet on the floor. Nait, Heybrook, Ariston ... Everything that happens in the room was OK :) ... Very musical, natural, with sound that was very close to live ... Many times when come back from concerts ... impressed from live performance, put record on TT and enjoy, I was very happy with ...
2nd, 3rd and 4th was not good, especially 4th was catastrophe. Room for music only ... but have some echo that was terrible. Most probably because of dimension ...
5th actual living room is as good as 1st one ... natural, musical and I did not do anything to change the acoustic ... It's L shape ... wooden floor with light carpet ... Excellent ...
It's good to have room, with good acoustic (no need for correction) and especially if it's living room. Happiness is on all levels ... :)
V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-01-23 22:10 Nice to have room that don't need acoustical treatment ... (I don't like that in living room, at all) ... just decoration ... :)

Cheers
Music First ...
Vlado
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-01-25 16:43Happines is on all levels ... :)
Agree...
Tony Tune-age
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Cheers
I specifically chose leather sofas, for their more even sound absorption characteristics, which in theory should allow for a more linear sound field to exist within the room, not forgetting that everything is relative, and sofas don’t exist in isolation, so they could actually make things worse.

Ha ha! After a lovely bottle of Rioja Gran Reserva, and a tot or three of lbv port, I’m surprised if the above makes any sense whatsoever!
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Spannko wrote: 2020-01-25 23:51I specifically chose leather sofas, for their more even sound absorption characteristics, which in theory should allow for a more linear sound field to exist within the room, not forgetting that everything is relative, and sofas don’t exist in isolation, so they could actually make things worse.
Very true, it all depends on the rest of the room as well. Another interesting occurence I've noticed, is the system sounds a little different when the window blinds are pulled down and closed, versus the blinds pulled up and open. And when the windows are open, there's yet another difference in sound also.

And none of these differences are really any better or worse, just a little different. In fact, I'm not sure anybody else has ever mentioned hearing any differences.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Door open/closed too. Also, seem to remember charlie1 wondering if anyone had noticed a deterioration in the sound if the room was messy or tidy. I’m sure I’ve noticed this one too, preferring a tidy room, but I wouldn’t discount the possibility of a cognitive bias having a bit of fun with my mind with this one though!
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

How many persons is in the room, dress "code" of people present in the room ... :)))
Music First ...
Vlado
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-01-28 23:00 How many persons is in the room, dress "code" of people present in the room ... :)))
Ah yes. Definitely no large hats!
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Spannko wrote: 2020-01-29 01:01Ah yes. Definitely no large hats!
What? Captain Beefheart isn't allowed??
Cap.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tendaberry wrote: 2020-01-29 12:58
Cap.jpg
Well, perhaps Captain Beefheart will be allowed.
Tony Tune-age
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Im not sure. That jackets a bit too much on the loud side for me.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Captain is OK, as well Hat, but color of the hat is dark = it will darken the sound in the room, but some how it will be most probably balanced with the jacket ...
... and need badminton tool ... with empty hand ... it's not good ... for the acoustic of the room ...
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2020-01-29 20:01
Tendaberry wrote: 2020-01-29 12:58
Cap.jpg
Well, perhaps Captain Beefheart will be allowed.
Music First ...
Vlado