Moderator: Staff

mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

mrco99s system

Post by mrco99 »

Hi all,

As a first post, an introduction on my system I aquired over the years,

I started 15years ago with Linn Keilids, Marantz CDP 52Mk II SE and an Audiolab 8000A amp.
Upgraded to 8000Q + 2x 8000M monoblocks but wasn´t happy in the end - too analytical to my taste.
I missed the fun factor of the Keilids when I first heard them at the dealer.

Then 7 years ago, I was introduced to active Keilids and it made things turn.
I finally underwrote the synergy within Linn and started to build a Linn-only system.
Within 6 months a had a system comprising

5103 green dts
Ikemi
3xLK140
active Kabers
Tunebox
K600 and blacks

much, much better than anything before, but the Linnitus bacillus had also infected me big time....

After the DS intoduction, I tried a SB Classic first, then a Sneaky.
Now, after some more upgrades last year, my current system is as follows:

MDS/d
Exotik/d
M6100/d
Ikemi
active Kabers
Tunebox
K600, 3xsilvers and blacks
Synology 209+ 2x1TB

......but the story´s not over yet as just last week I decided to buy a pair of Keltiks !!!!
Sorry I could not resist....I hope to be able to make the best of it, as
beside a spare LK140/LK100 I have no funds left for upgrading on the amp side anymore.

PS. I have some LP stuff as well that I have omitted now as I hardly listens to that.
Will pick up that later.

:D :D

Added an image, will make better ones

[img]file:///C:/Users/marco/Desktop/linnset.jpg[/img]
Last edited by mrco99 on 2010-11-24 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Nice system and welcome to the forum. Not heard Keltiks, but no doubt you'll enjoy them.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: mrco99s system

Post by Tony Tune-age »

mrco99 wrote:Hi all,I started 15years ago with Linn Keilids, Marantz CDP 52Mk II SE and an Audiolab 8000A amp. Upgraded to 8000Q + 2x 8000M monoblocks but wasn´t happy in the end - too analytical to my taste.
I had systems in the past that were too analytical as well. But it was a learning process, and my current system isn't analytical...at all 8) By the way, welcome to the forum :!:
Tony Tune-age
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Thanks for your comments.
I think Linn´s music systems has also gotten a bit more analytical/revealing after the Kairn/Klout/Keltik era.
As much as I like that ´warmer´ and laidback sound, I also couldn´t live without all the details and soundstage that is being delivered by the current line-up. It is amazing, especially with the DS technology what can be pulled out of all those old recordings. It reveals the bad ones, but also highlight the good ones (...Beatles 24 bit masters...)

And still what I call analytical is still nowhere near to what for example the German market understands by this. Interesting to hear that British hifi - in general - is so much more subtle in this. But maybe I'm drifting off too much now...
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

There has always been something new to learn while building audio systems. And along the way, we can discover the types of components and systems which sounds acceptable to us... 8)
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

mrco99 wrote:Thanks for your comments.
I think Linn´s music systems has also gotten a bit more analytical/revealing after the Kairn/Klout/Keltik era.
As much as I like that ´warmer´ and laidback sound, I also couldn´t live without all the details and soundstage that is being delivered by the current line-up.
I think setup is more crucial with the current Majik range. It's impressive sounding kit, but if not spot on then can be a bit distracting and in your face. Even then, I always found my Majik Kontrol waring after a couple of hours listening.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

You´re spot on, Charlie. Indeed correct setup is a major learning point.
Never thought correct placement could be so important - and I am still trying to master it.
As I can only afford Linn through the s/h market, I am reluctant to ask for the help of a dealer,
as I principally think he should then also be able to have me as a paying customer of Linn equipment.

I had an ongoing love-hate relationship with my Kabers for the last years.
Found them uninspiring with LK140 amps, and too harsh with M6100 and Exotik
but never thought of repositioning the whole system.
After I did, only 2 months ago, I finally started to appreciate what the Kabers are doing
...just another couple of weeks till the Keltiks come knocking! :)
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

I'm sure you are going to love the keltiks.

I understand your thoughts about asking for help when you bought second hand. If you can find someone with the experience and talent, it would be worth paying for this service. If they are unwilling to help for a price, what would you expect from them with a purchase? Why not ask. I would be comfortable with this approach.

I think they might be put off if you spent a great deal of their time and effort auditioning and then bought elsewhere. But lots of people move and could use a little service. My LP12 has been through nearly 20 moves in the last 30 years.

The important thing is having heard a properly setup pair of keltiks so there is a reference point. They can sound so good and you deserve them to sound their best.

Congratulations and happy listening :D
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi SaltyDog,

Thanks for your comments. I have heard Keltiks a long time ago, so hope the Keltiks still live up to my memory. There was no chance to demo them before and Keltiks are scarce in Holland.

I did buy them with both mono and chakra cards, only the latter were optional, the mono ones already included. I have a tunebox for the monocards but think that the chakra's are presumably (much) better.
Only thing is with the M6100 I can only run 3 channels and with the tunebox I can run 4 channels with a spare LK140.

I'm left with no budget for upgrading whatsoever, in fact I think I'll have to sell some LK stuff I wanted to keep for a 2nd set (And the Kabers of course, but they are also not very populair I believe)

Don't know how 3 and 4 channel setup compare, I could have the LK140 reworked with an adapter for chakra cards, but is it wise to mix LK and Majik amps? A friend still has an LK100 I could try as well, as it is said that they sound warmer, and I read on the Linn forum that chakra cards can sound harsh on treble and/or mids.

Comments much appreciated..!
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

keltiks

Post by anthony »

Dont mix an lk140 with majik amps, just use 6 channels for now. Akurate 4200 would be better, the bass is power hungry!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I agree with that.

LK100, 85 and 140 are far below the Chakra amps in performance. Mixing them doesn't sound good in my opinion.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Thanks for your feedback, Frederik and Anthony. Any idea how chakra cards compare to the monocards and tunebox (with round black transformer inside)? I would probably sell the Kabers easier with the tunebox.

How to wire the speaker cables as I can only put 6 cards inside the 6100?
Maybe this time it will be wise to consult my dealer. Don't wish to ruin anything while setting up. Btw I have only K600, I reckon I need another run of cables.

On the poweramp side, a 4200 is out of my league financially, think a 5125 may be the best affordable option when I want to extend to 4 channels next year
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I haven't yet heard Keltiks with Chakra cards, so I can't comment on them.

What you need to do is wire both bass units (on one speaker) to the corresponding bass channel on the 6100. Either with some kind of links at the back of the speaker or by a biwired run of speaker cables.

Before replacing your K600 with two K400, you can link the bass units together at the speaker end.
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

I think that I'd like to have the tunebox at least long enough to sort out the amplifiers. It's just so much easier to try different amps without having to deal with the cards.

A4200s have been reported to be really good, but there have been questions regarding chakra cards for keltiks. I'd like try tunebox with 4200s if given a chance. There is a long discussion on Linn Forums regarding this.

Once you're at this level, cost adds up quick. I'd advise taking some time to get them positioned properly and just enjoy them for awhile first. That shouldn't be too hard.

On the other hand it seems it could be good to get a dealer involved with the amps. Be upfront and let him know you have time to wait on a good deal. Who knows how much help you can get optimizing things if home demos are arraigned. When the right customer is looking to trade up amps it's always helpful for the dealers to know they can move on any trade ins.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Thanks Saltydog for your comments.

The Tunebox is the easiest setup and a great comparision tool with different sort of amps but can also be a limiting factor when not used in the optimal version.
First the tunebox only works with mono-cards which are said to be inferior to stereo and chakra cards. There is a possibility to order adapters to put chakra cards in the mono slots, but at a cost (stereo cards will not fit anyway I believe). Secondly I have not the best version of the Tunebox, mine is an early one with a round black transformer, where the slimline smps power supply one should sound best. And last point is that I have only black interlinks for connection, where chakra cards put directly inside Majik/Akurate amps are regarded to be at silver interlink level. So then it becomes difficult to make a fair comparision between amps, as the Tunebox also influences the total chain.

I have read on the Linn forum about the mid/high issues that chakra cards for Keltiks can cause, and will see if it also is an issue with my setup. The good thing is that it's my first introduction to Keltiks so I start with a blank sheet.

I know in the premier Keltik league it's only about Klimax crossovers and the best possible amps (2x4200?) but for me that's simply out of reach. I know someone who has just upgraded from Kabers to Keltiks in an 3xLK100 system with Kairn pre and Genki and he's totally happy.
So there should be more ways to hifi nirvana....
:D