Optics System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

optics

Optics System

Post by optics »

Hi there,

i just started again with the Bazillus in January 2010 :lol:

Starting point was DS, so i walked to the Dealer to compare differnt DS. Interestingly the difference between the different Systems was quite large. The difference between Sneaky DS and DSi was the same than between DSI and DS (DSI only used as DS w/o pre and poweramp).

So i bought a Majik DS/d + Wakonda + LK140 + 109.

it was not bad, but ...

i changed the Wakonda LK140 to Majik I + 5125 and it was better, but

i bought used Katan for a very reasonable price, and imho especially aktiv Katan were way better than (passive) 109. Next step was swap the 5125 and get a 6100/d with Katan chakra x overs >> this was a mistake :?

i didn´t like it at all, the setting was correct but this was not music, this was HIFI, so i walked back to the dealer and changed the 6100 to an ADS/D + dynamiked my Majik I.

The music is back, due to the discussion aktiv / vs passive i think the more digital the source the worse aktiv. IMHO passive xovers do some filtering with the signal so they reduce also digital waste. Therefore imho before going aktiv >> sources first for me that means in the ds route lowest an ADS/d.

No i am searching for a 2200, the KIKKIN is ordered (thx Fredrik),
the dynamiked Majik I will be for sale.

The goal is ADS > KIKKIN > 2200 > 212

cheers

johannes (optics)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi johannes,

Wow - you are on a roll - now Kikkin plus 2200! I think Kikkin is really fantastic value for money, but you will be able to make up your own mind soon :D

As mentioned on the Linn forum, I had to be painstaking when setting up 6100/D+Ninkas (something I was very much reminded of this year) and I suspect Katans are no different. Until all that time consuming work is done, my system is more hi-fi than music and ultimately unsatisfying no matter how great source/pre. So I think maybe there is some jumping to conclusions on this and maybe the aktiv/passive point too, but I think this is your dealer's idea from what you said before.

Still, it seems to have worked out really well which is the main thing and sounds like a great system you are putting together.

All the best, Charlie1

PS Don't forget those Silvers if you're getting all these other upgrades :wink:
optics

Post by optics »

Hi Charlie,

the idea of my dealer was to go for the 6200d ...

Before i had Katan aktiv with 5125 and i liked it, but the aktivation with the 6100 was totally different. I know the position is critical but i am limited in some way, if you understand (waf :lol: )

Do you think silvers improve a lot ?

bye

johannes
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

optics wrote:the idea of my dealer was to go for the 6200d ...

Before i had Katan aktiv with 5125 and i liked it, but the aktivation with the 6100 was totally different. I know the position is critical but i am limited in some way, if you understand (waf :lol: )

Do you think silvers improve a lot ?
Linn don't make a 6200 - maybe you meant 4200?

For me Silvers were a nice improvement but small compared to the bigger upgrades I've done. I just thought since you're on a roll then maybe add them into the pot too. I think 2nd hand they are very good value and worthwhile between your ADS and amp in particular. Don't get me wrong, I think they are worth their price tag, but 2nd hand they are a bargain. If buying new and funds are tight then I'd be inclined to invest the money in your main aim of 2200 + 212s. anthony on this forum had some unused ones for sale a while back at a good price - he might still have some pairs left.

The older version Silver's with no slits in the outer connector are said to be more musical, but less impressive, so maybe bare that in mind too - I think it's only a very small difference though.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Welcome here, Johannes!

I agree with Charlie that aktiv systems need more care to perform well. Passive is more forgiving, masking installation errors and lesser sources (like you said).

I suspect your goal system will sound fantastic. But before you change speakers, make sure to try the new ones in your room. If you have limitations in how your speakers can be positioned, this becomes very important. In my experience, most speakers can be made to "sing" with careful installation. But if there are limitations, such as a dictated near-wall or near-an-opening position, some speakers will work fine and others won't.
optics

Post by optics »

@ Charlie: sorry i meant the 6100, i know they don´t make 6200

@ Fredrik: i just think about trying the speakers in the designated room,
surely you are right, so i will have to wait because i will build up a new house next year.

During the planning i will try to avoid akustik mistakes, so i will post plans at given time.

I also bought Ninkas incl. Kustone for a reasonable price,
unfortunately they do not perform well in the current room.

They are a bit boomy, maybe the room is to small ...

in the meanwhile i will try to improve my current system without changing the speakers.

thx a lot for you help

johannes
optics

Post by optics »

Today i received the 5100;

first i used the Majik I as pre > not bad

after that

KIKKIN >>> Nice :D thx Fredrik

cheers

optics
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Glad you like your Kikkin, Johannes! :)
optics

Post by optics »

... just update ...

could not resist, as the "old" akurate gear is cheaper than ever ...

bought a nice Akurate Kontrol dyn black

and a pair of 212 MK2

so i have to sort my gear, and to sell a few things ...

cheers

optics