Lefreaks system

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Lefreak

Lefreaks system

Post by Lefreak »

Hi, my name is Thierry and my first Linn product was a Unidisc Sc, which I bought to reduce the boxes in my living room system (multichannel with 3 Parasound stereo amps at the time).

The incubation time for the Linn virus was about three years :mrgreen: It started with a C6100, then I couldn't resist half a year later to a C4200. In September 2009 a MDS, several weeks later a pair of 242s replaced my B&W CDM9NTs...

Earlier this year, I changed the Unidisc Sc for an Akurate Kontrol, oh yeah, and I got an offer for 2 A4200 which I couldn't refuse :oops: eehm,reducing the boxes went out of focus :shock: To justify the amount of Linn amps, I had to get activ cards for the 242s... Thanks to the linn summer promo, I didn't have to pay them :mrgreen: Ok,granted, I had to buy a MDSi... I will add some photos, as soon as possible...
LINN stuff:
SneakyDS, Majik DSi, G-ADSM-DAC, KDSM/2, Uphoric Phono Pre/
Component sub
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Nice sounding system. That virus does tend to insinuate itself pretty firmly and is quite hard to shake once infected. If left unchecked it can lead to depleted-wallet syndrome! :shock:

I have known a few people to have mollified it slightly with speakers from other companies, though with no real relief of the depleted-wallet syndrome, but on sources and electronics it is almost impossible to recover once the infection has taken hold. For that matter the Isobariks still in my home theater system, which I have owned since 1988 (and they replaced 1980 Isobariks), show that the speakers can have quite a hold on you as well.

Be forewarned that in the advanced stages the spread of the disease can sometimes be so rampant that the only way to stop the progression is to make the virus Klimax. :wink: Or else to run out of money.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:Nice sounding If left unchecked it can lead to depleted-wallet syndrome! :shock:

Be forewarned that in the advanced stages the spread of the disease can sometimes be so rampant that the only way to stop the progression is to make the virus Klimax. :wink: Or else to run out of money.
Wow, that sounds like a very serious virus indeed :!: Plus that dreaded depleted-wallet syndrome...most radikal indeed 8) .
Tony Tune-age
Lefreak

Post by Lefreak »

ThomasOK wrote:Nice sounding system. That virus does tend to insinuate itself pretty firmly and is quite hard to shake once infected. If left unchecked it can lead to depleted-wallet syndrome! :shock:
I know exactly what you mean ... Should I blame my wife for not interfering? :wink: I don't think so, glad she tolerates my virus :D
ThomasOK wrote: Be forewarned that in the advanced stages the spread of the disease can sometimes be so rampant that the only way to stop the progression is to make the virus Klimax. :wink: Or else to run out of money.

Well I'm a little bit in the "out of money"-phase at the moment, but I also feel symptons of that "Klimax"phase :oops: And then there's this good friend, from whom I'll have to buy the Akurate Center, when he gets rid of his 212s... (no, no no, I won't buy them, although 5.0 Akurate speakers must be nice :twisted: )
LINN stuff:
Component sub
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

I'm sure 5.0 Akurate speakers would be lovely, but I actually think you should probably look at replacing your rears with a pair of 109s. They would blend tonally much better with the 242s, and could even be run aktiv by that 6100....
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Lefreak

Post by Lefreak »

Here's a picture of the front of my living room Hifi system

The rack...
LINN stuff:
Component sub
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Lefreak wrote:Here's a picture of the front of my living room Hifi system

The rack...
Nice pictures... :!:
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yes, good photos and I like the rack. 242s look very nice too.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
Lefreak wrote:Here's a picture of the front of my living room Hifi system

The rack...
Nice pictures... :!:
By the way, who makes your audio rack Lefreak :?:
Tony Tune-age
Lefreak

Post by Lefreak »

Thanks for the flowers :oops: The rack is homemade as I couldn't find one for all my stuff... I adapted it when I got the Panasonic plasma, so that now, there's enough room for an Akurate center :mrgreen:
LINN stuff:
Component sub
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Lefreak wrote:The rack is homemade as I couldn't find one for all my stuff... I adapted it when I got the Panasonic plasma, so that now, there's enough room for an Akurate center :mrgreen:
Did you use any particular isolation or decoupling techniques, or was there any type of audio rack you used for an example :?:
Tony Tune-age
Lefreak

Post by Lefreak »

I didn't. At the time, my first goal was to have enough space...
LINN stuff:
Component sub
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Lefreak wrote:I didn't. At the time, my first goal was to have enough space...
Nice design, it certainly can hold a lot of audio and video components :!:
Tony Tune-age
Lefreak

Post by Lefreak »

I have to take some new pictures one of these days as I got myself a used Akurate Center with aktiv cards in spring and then at the beginning of September, eventually, I got my first Klimax component: an ex-dem KDS upgraded to KDS/1 :-)))
LINN stuff:
Component sub
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

Nice system. I caught that virus only this year, but it is spreading fast :) Started with an MDSM on existing B&W speakers. Upgraded to M140s last month, and C4200 this month. If I continue in the same pace, I wonder who'll stop me first. Wife or bank? :)
Lefreak

Post by Lefreak »

LINN stuff:
Component sub
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Lefreak wrote:Hi,
a little update pic ;-)

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/3083/frontwols.jpg
Looks like the Akurate center channel barely made it!
Lefreak

Post by Lefreak »

:-) Still proud of that :-) At the moment I'm A/B-testing stereo performance between the Anthem D2v and Akurate Kontrol... To my ears, they are very close...
LINN stuff:
Component sub
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Lefreak wrote::-) Still proud of that :-) At the moment I'm A/B-testing stereo performance between the Anthem D2v and Akurate Kontrol... To my ears, they are very close...
I'll be interested to hear what you think of that comparison. We just recently picked up Anthem, in part hoping for at least a reasonably good replacement for the non-existent Linn pre/pros. We haven't brought in a D2v yet as we are waiting for the HDMI 1.4a, 3D ready version to come out. But we do have their receivers on display and I have to say I am surprised at how good they sound. As yet I haven't done any direct A/B comparisons against other gear, but I was pleased with how musical the MXR 700 sounded even through things like 242s and MIsos.
Lefreak

Post by Lefreak »

Hi Thomas,
I bought the D2v in December 2011 and was a little bit disappointed from the sonic performance in stereo playback at the beginning. After two months, this has changed. As far as my ears are concerned, it comes very close to my AK/D_0. I have the impression that the AK goes deeper in bass (the beginning of Hotel California in Hell freezes over) anp plays a little bit more detailed. I use the Xlr connection between the Kds/1 and the D2v without Dsp (Analog direct). What I miss is the volume control on the control point. Eventually, I think I have to get a KK for stereo, I know ;-)... I haven't compared the multichannel performance of both pre/pros as I would have to remove the D2v from the rack to do so. What I can say, is that the Anthem sounds stunning with multichannel music from Bluray. My favorites at the moment are Adele live from Royal Albert Hall and Vanessa Paradis' a night at Versailles.
LINN stuff:
Component sub