Donuk's system

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Well friends, I suppose I had better update you on my latest move.

You will recall the sad scene a month ago - my Dynavector 20XL rendered diamondless by an Audio Technica ultrasonic cleaner. I reread the instructions that came with the cartridge, and indeed it warned against using that sort of thing.
So I enjoyed my old Goldring moving coil for a while - enjoyed its liveliness but missed the subtlety of my old moving coil.

So I chatted it over with David of the Sound Organisation, York. He reminded me that I could get some money back for my old DV against a new one. And of course they have a new 20X2L.

So David called this afternoon and painstakingly gave my LP12 a 20,000 mile service and installed the new cartridge.

Well, you experts may have better words to describe the 20X2L. It is quite different to the old 20XL. Still refined and sweet, but in a different class. I have listened to only a few albums: Buddy de Franco, Carly Simon, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Saint-Saens organ symphony, and Steeley Dan. The last disc showed that although the cartridge is refined and inoffensive, it can also slam out crisp bass lines.

So for the moment I am happy, grateful for good service as usual from my local shop, and hearing musical subtleties unnoticed before.

Don
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I thought I would add a little up-date.
Firstly my DV 20X2L continues to run in and become even more sweet and subtle.
Also, in response to something that had been nagging me for a while (something I read somewhere), I bought a roll of silver solder.
I use K400 for my biwired Ninkas.
Hitherto I had soldered the cable to the banana plugs to go in the back of the speakers (the nickle coloured ones which came with the Ninkas). Also previously the cables had been soldered together at the 2100 end of things ( I simply wrapped one cable over another, like hooking one forefinger over the other outstretched forefinger). This had been soldered. I also had let solder flow over the outstretched "finger" of cable, making in effect a banana plug of wire and solder to plug into the amplfier terminals.

The solder I had previously used was about forty years old. I redid all the connections as above using the silver solder.

The difference in sound is amazing. I won't describe the result in non-tune-dem superlatives. But to my ears a slight graininess has been removed.

Anyone else had a similar experience?
Are there better affordable banana plugs than those which came with the Ninkas??

Thanks
Don
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

There is a fair amount about recommended bananas in this thread:

http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... ght=banana

It is also covered a bit in other threads.

My simple answer is that the two best bananas are:

1) Linn Knekt which we sell for $11.00 each in the US

2) Deltron large which we sell for $4.00 each US

The large Deltron is a bigger version of the plug that came with the Ninkas with a larger solder bucket that can take thicker wire. You can pretty much fit two of the K400 wires in there and then solder it for bi-wiring. I believe the exact part numbers for the Deltrons are in the thread above (there are several variations).
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Thank you Thomas, as ever for your swift and helpful suggestions.
Don