My system today

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

My system today

Post by Efraim roots »

I got asked for a recording of my system and today coming home from work I listened some tunes and remembered this. So here is a recording of todays system with my Audiotech supported LP12 which has Karousel/ARadikal/Keel/Ekos Se/Ortofon cadenza bronze, this goes into Lejonklou Entity 1.2 / Boazu 1.3 and JERN 15H speakers. Track might be a bit challenging for you, hopefully you get into to groove. Listen with headphones, you got to hear the bass. It's a very simple and raw recording with Gregory Isaacs. https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvr71i2qatcf7 ... 1.mov?dl=0
the players of instruments shall be there..
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: My system today

Post by ThomasOK »

I like it.

You could get a couple of Darth Vader helmets/masks and turn the speakers into Star Wars editions! ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Thanks Thomas. I think I prefer the casting grey actually, might have to change. The finish on JERN speakers is great, looks great and is super durable. I thought that first track was so raw so I recorded another one with Rhythm and Sound which some of you might know of. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ezf7s158o4qv ... 6.mov?dl=0
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Great to finally hear your system ER!

I really like it too. It doesn't immediately impress like your old Kans can do - instead, it grows on me the more I listen and I happily listened all the way through both tracks even though I can take or leave that type of music.

A lot of bass there - are you sure you're not hiding a sub!?

Happily hear more if you feel inclined :)
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Yes Charlie1, i'm sure there is no sub, JERN is powerful. It's almost impossible to go back having bass like this. To be honest I don't think Kans are miles away in what they do, probably a bit better at times and vice versa, but the Kans has so much less information, especially (!) bass, so it's not really possible. Speaking of bass I have a record from last friday, which I recorded because it was such an interesting instrumental where the bass totally takes the lead :-) No original press, a little floppy recording but the bass comes thru. The 15H have incredible bass but yes, it's a bit dominant. Also the tweeter seems to have a slightly smeared pitch. I boiled it down to the speakers and I don't trust the exclusive crossoverparts. I will see what I can do about it with time. If I get no help with that I might have to go back to 12WS, but it's a shame because so much good comes with 15H. https://www.dropbox.com/s/skofbew92ixdl ... 9.mov?dl=0

btw, recordings are made with my poor old iPhone SE, the first one, I wanted to use my old iPad 2 because it sounds better but no battery. Not my priorites these things obviously.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

I have an Adel record thats about it, I will get that recorded next time so you can hear it with normal music ;-)
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Ok so it seems I have nothing better to do, also it was such a thrill to hear Adele, I love this song. It was hard to sit still and you can hear me snap my fingers, that just came, sorry ;-) You can hear the system has some problems with pitch but also this record is of no good sound quality. You get close but its just not mastered good. It's original copy UK 2011, but that's a little too early for the nowadays vinyl industry which has turned out really nice. https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qmi5i05cs3h5 ... 0.mov?dl=0
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks ER - yeah, I really like that - Very rhythmic and tuneful so it's doing the sort of things I need from a system so food for thought. I don't actually need that much bass but it's always a bonus.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Efraim roots wrote: 2022-10-27 17:13 I got asked for a recording of my system and today coming home from work I listened some tunes and remembered this. So here is a recording of todays system with my Audiotech supported LP12 which has Karousel/ARadikal/Keel/Ekos Se/Ortofon cadenza bronze, this goes into Lejonklou Entity 1.2 / Boazu 1.3 and JERN 15H speakers. Track might be a bit challenging for you, hopefully you get into to groove. Listen with headphones, you got to hear the bass. It's a very simple and raw recording with Gregory Isaacs. https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvr71i2qatcf7 ... 1.mov?dl=0
OK, here’s a Gregory Isaacs fan. Saw him once in concert and it was one of the best concerts in my life. He was a genius on stage! Tried to see him twice but that night he didn’t show up and the crowd brought the tour manager up on stage and made him promise he’d give us the money back, right now! They were furious and we left as the tension grew thicker.

What album is that? I don’t have it and while I have quite a few, I know he was the kind of Jamaican artist who made so many recordings that it’s difficult to keep track of them all.

All I can say is that I was really annoyed when the clip ended. That system sure swings!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

If you want to be my number one
Let me know your future plans
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

That's lovely Fredrik! I noticed you have a gregory album among the album covers on your website. I was lucky to see him once here in Gothenburg, he had a hard life you could tell but I didn't care much, it was Gregory! Oh yes did he record a lot! I just looked at discogs and he has 1055 titles listed. And this is a obscure 7", probably late 90 or early 00 underground New York release. It's like he takes a good 30 seconds to get in tune and then just totally flow with the rhythm. Maybe one take.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Efraim roots wrote: 2022-10-27 22:58 That's lovely Fredrik! I noticed you have a gregory album among the album covers on your website. I was lucky to see him once here in Gothenburg, he had a hard life you could tell but I didn't care much, it was Gregory! Oh yes did he record a lot! I just looked at discogs and he has 1055 titles listed. And this is a obscure 7", probably late 90 or early 00 underground New York release. It's like he takes a good 30 seconds to get in tune and then just totally flow with the rhythm. Maybe one take.
Yes! Cool Ruler.

Oh My! 1055 titles!

How was the concert in Gothenburg?
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Welcome One and All to My System Today! 2022 Wrap up with fireworks!

Tune ID; Don't forget your roots 8)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/01e7d5vgyc02p ... S.mp4?dl=0

I bought a new phone to record with Google Pixel 6a. More interestingly I changed my speakers to JERN 11, the entry level model with same cabinet as my previous 12WS and 15H. I actually prefer the 11 to the 15H on sheer musicality so I'm afraid I'm selling my 15H even though their rich refinement and bass output is extraordinary.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Sounding good! Those speakers put out a surprising amount of bass for their size. Nice setup!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yes, enjoyed that too and also don't understand where the bass is coming from :)

Thanks for sharing again Efraim!
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Thanks for tuning in guys. I think the bass is really in the music, this is the very balance of the recording. Otherwise it's just the amazing LP12 with karousel at right torque, the Ortofon Cadenza Bronze is amazing, Lejonklou Entity 1.2 is amazing, Everything with lifelike, real, rich, pure analouge fidelity, it's a very potent signal 8) Boazu is Boazu, wire with gain, nait 1 killer, so pure and crisp. JERN is powerful, energizing pitch accurate dynamics, very lucid and extended, keeps excellent musical tempo, sounds like no box - your room is the box - I love it! The music also stays in my room! As soon as I pass the doorway, the music becomes evenly muted to the point where there is no point to waste cartridge life, I must be in the room to hear it loud and clear enough. Inside the room the is not a single spot I don't want to listen at, usually I am up dancing or going thru my records.

I actually did not think I would have a hifi that would be everything that of LP12/Nait/Kan but this much better and it has a very reliable performance. I will improve on the JERN 11 a bit too. This is placed as 15H but last time around with 12WS which has the same woofer and crossover as the 11 - I was closer to the wall, we'll see. I have some small improvements I can do to the 11's aswell. Coming up for 2023.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I’ve just listened to your last 3 videos ER. I prefer your new Jern’s too. For me, as good your previous Jern’s bass note was, it seemed to be lacking variety 😉😁
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Certainly plenty of bass to me with the 11s.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

An unexpected turn in todays post of my system today!

I had been looking for a rational audio "aura" integrated amplifier for years since I find it a very cool design, I didn't expect it to be better than nait 1 and 2 or anything, but I guessed it would sound very good still. Then all of sudden it was there for sale with its original companion speakers Royd Coniston R, they were all in excellent condition in the hand of the original owner who bought the combo at the legendary shop Tonlaget HiFi in Gothenburg, Sweden early 90's. I picked them up at the original owners and we had a great chat, a very nice guy, thank you!

I could not believe it when I started playing music with this particular combo. Tonläget HiFi is obviously King, sourcing and selling this kind of stuff early 90's. And the original owner certainly knew exactly what he was buying. I'm pretty sure after listening that he tried everything in the shop and made sure to buy the best combo he could afford. It really is when the "aura" amp and the Royd speakers are used together my jaw drops. I had to do the "all in" approach which in my opinion is to use the internal phono, that's how you best use a nait 1 & 2 as well I think, so I changed my cartridge back to my old well used Adikt with otherwise topflight LP12/Radikal 1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xra1gop870mp1 ... S.mp4?dl=0
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

What a nice piece of kit indeed! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Sounds good - never heard of it before. Glad you're enjoying it and the speakers. Spannko loves the Conniston R but I never heard a pair.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Indeed I do! I don’t think they’re as musical as Kans, but they’re still very good. In fact I’m taking a pair to my grandson this afternoon, with a 4040, to plug into his dj decks!
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Spannko wrote: 2023-05-04 10:52 Indeed I do! I don’t think they’re as musical as Kans, but they’re still very good. In fact I’m taking a pair to my grandson this afternoon, with a 4040, to plug into his dj decks!
Nice, I hope you'll make them sing! I wonder what you think would be the optimal stands for these and also if you know about the drivers screws have threaded inserts or screws diectly to wood? Would be interested in torque-ing mine if possible and it's not impossible I have to find a pair of optimal and stylish stands for them :)
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

The screws are standard self tapping screws, screwed directly into a chipboard baffle. The Coniston’s worked very well on the 2nd generation Kan stands.

Re: the enclosure. Chipboard is very much out of fashion these days, but I do wonder if it could actually be a decent enclosure material? Something for me to try with my speakers, I think!
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Ok thanks! Yes chipboard is interesting now that you mention it. I remember one really small speaker company here in Gothenburg called valutronic I think. They sold speaker kits and made a deal in their marketing about chipboard being cheap but also the superior material for sound quality.

Regarding my system today and the Royd Coniston R, You didn't see the speakers in the first clip so I just recorded another one tonight filming the speaker :P it was recorded late so low volume. It sounds lovely imo.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryg80gxf06sbc ... S.mp4?dl=0