High Schooler’s System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Allerdings

High Schooler’s System

Post by Allerdings »

I use my late grandad’s Harman-Kardan Stereo Festival II receiver from the 1960’s, taking a signal from an Elac turntable of the same vintage, and feeding into similarly old Jensen speakers. My grandad was an acoustical (mechanical) engineer with Bell Laboratories. I like to listen to the “Hey Jude” album by the Beatles, and “Hot Rocks” by the Rolling Stones, among other recordings, on this system. The FM tuner is nice too. Maybe someday I will try Lejonklou!!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: High Schooler’s System

Post by ThomasOK »

Hi Allerdings and welcome to the forum. It looks like HK made several Festival II receivers but they do mostly appear to be tube units which can be fun. I have occasionally worked on Elac turntables and with a decent cartridge they can certainly make a musical sound. It sounds like a pretty neat vintage system. Glad you are enjoying it.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

That's sounds like a fun vintage system, and welcome to the forum!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Harman-Kardan had some good receivers in the 80s. One of them we used for Dayton Whrigt XG10 electrostats, with a DW SPA preamp. The name of the receiver has been lost. Since the preamp and power amp were connected by bridges, we used the power amp, which was later replaced by the NAIM Nap 250. Was a great system.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Actually, there was a time when I had a Harman-Kardan stereo receiver, and I think it was part tube and part solid state. It may have been 25 watts per channel, although I don't remember the model number. But in any case, it sounded really good. I ended up selling it when I began going into separate components.
Tony Tune-age