Hermanns System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hermanns System

Post by lejonklou »

Although the primary focus of Källa is streaming services, it can also play FLAC from a NAS using an app like VLC.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-09-07 11:22 Although the primary focus of Källa is streaming services, it can also play FLAC from a NAS using an app like VLC.
That's good news as I have close to 4 TB of music on my NAS.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks Fredrik, looks like I need to read all the information about Källa.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Hello,
A quick question about the Sagatuns and the mute state. If the preamps is in mute, not lowered by 12db, does the LEDs keeps flashing? Is that correct?
Trust your ears
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hello Hermann!

Yes, in both the -12 dB and the full mute state, the volume indicator keeps flashing.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks Fredrik, it's different from what I'm used to.

When will the Kölla be available? It looks like it would be suitable to replace my NDS.
Trust your ears
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, I see. The decision to keep it blinking was made because if it would go dark, there is no way to know whether the unit is muted. And if you listened very loud, it would then return to that high volume once you pressed MUTE or VOL+. With the blinking you can see which level it will return to by the colour in which it blinks.

Källa will start shipping any day now. But as I need to check every unit carefully before it's approved, it will take a while until the preorders have shipped. Stay tuned!
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you Fredrik for the explanation. As soon as a conventional potentiometer is used, the volume setting can of course be seen directly. In this respect, I can understand the decision. It just takes some getting used to.

Obviously the following passage from the manual is translated incorrectly. I actually assumed it went out and the Sagatuns had an error.
  • Pressing and holding MUTE for half a second (until
    the indicator fades) mutes the volume completely.
    Volume is restored by pressing MUTE or a VOL button.
"Fades" translates to goes out, actually as I understood. Mh...

I would have no problem with the LED lighting up during mute, as it is switched off during "operation". Flashing lights demand attention and can be distracting, certainly depending on the location of Sagatuns. On the other hand, the flashing indicator at -12 db is appropriate, as the condition is usually temporary.

We've had power cut twice in the past few years and I was'nt at home both times. The Naim preamplifier automatically starts in mute mode. Have you ever played through the scenario of a power failure? Is there anything to worry about if Sagatuns not muted?

My enquiry regarding Källa is placed with Marco. I am very curious about this test, especially since the NDS seems to have taken my thoughts on board and shows a musicality that is stunning. After a small change in the line-up, it was immediately clear that he was playing sub-optimally before.
Trust your ears
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

It's much easier to try and see in real life how the volume works than to explain it in words.

Actually the quoted passage is correct. What happens the instance that you push a button on the remote is that the indicator lights up. Then, if it's the MUTE button you're pressing, Sagatun will count how long before you release it.

If you release the button while the indicator is still on (within half a second), Sagatun will go into the -12 dB state.

If you keep the button pressed until the indicator fades out (more than half a second), Sagatun will go into the MUTE state.

The indicator will then start blinking; mostly on in the -12 dB state and on/off in the MUTE state.

If the power cuts, or you switch Sagatun off and back on, it will always start at volume 40 (blue). The original plan was that it would remember its last volume setting, but it turned out that the contents of the internal memory significantly affected musicality - even though the circuit was in its lowest power (sleep) mode and the digital section was isolated from the analogue path. This was one of the first times that I was completely dumbfounded by a technological finding. Many more were to follow when the work on Källa began in 2017.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you for taking the time to explain Fredrik. I'm sorry I couldn't follow it, but understand better now.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Now that the 552 is enjoying a new owner, it's time for a little review. I can not repeat often enough, with Tundra Stereo the journey began, found in the Entity 1.1 a first highlight and is with the Sagatuns perhaps not yet completed.

The music pleases me enormously. Record washing machine has a lot to do every day. Vinyl that has not been played for years is on and I revel in old times while listening. The level of musicianship achieved surpasses in some respects the impression from years past when the setup played in a very large hall. We enjoy vinyl and stream daily and I'm waiting patiently for the Källa.

Nevertheless, comparisons of equipment are not always easy and sometimes demand a lot of concentration on musical matters. Thus, minor or major mistakes happen from time to time.

I asked Marco for another new set of Linn silver cables (slot in RCA plug) and he sent me 2 new sets, wisely anticipating the Källa. Many thanks at this point for your responsiveness and excellent service.

In the meantime, when I rearranged the cables, I actually noticed that the Linn Silver had a running direction. Two of the cables were actually connected incorrectly. So far I had been playing with the old cables, tested a newer set that Marco sent with both Sagatuns. As he confirmed, the cable is tuned in. First between Sagatuns and Tundra, then Entity and Sagatuns. I liked the new cable right away and stayed between Entity and Sagatuns until said new Linn Silver cables came from Marco and I almost threw them out after an hour, it sounded so harsh and pointy. After about six hours most of it had settled, after 24 hrs almost everything and today, after many days it plays light and loose.

I had also remembered Charlie's recommendation to test the Sagatun power cord sequence and found a little difference there too. Thanks also to you.

Currently the concentration is on steaming and some I learned through the forum.So far my network setup was wired as in the diagram below (old setup). Since I didn't do any other tests, the result was more than satisfactory. The upper part of the diagram shows the new (temporary) setup. I am amazed at the musical worlds that open up. Had not expected such a boost. As you can see, the audio data are no longer sent over two WLAN Repeater. In addition, I have so a better comparison of both streamers, because as with the Sagatuns an equal condition is announced.
Networksetup-s.JPG
And gained a small side effect. Because sometimes the WLAN signal was interrupted and the streamer had to dial the station again or the music track in Foobar be reactivated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trust your ears
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for the review, Hermann!

I can imagine the 'new setup' sounding much better than the 'old setup'!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Nice review and comments, Hermann. Yes, the cables do take a while to break in. It is interesting how much of an improvement straightening out the network topology can have. Glad you are finding this all working for you and making progress.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I am happy that even though you used the Linn Sivers in the wrong direction the music qualities of the Entity, Sagatun, Tundra came through. It would have been a pitty if you decided otherwise just because of a cable fitted in the wrong direction.
The Linn Silvers are slotted are they also Linn Analogue Interconnect II (thats how its marked on the cable).
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hermann wrote: 2021-10-05 13:23I had also remembered Charlie's recommendation to test the Sagatun power cord sequence and found a little difference there too. Thanks also to you.
Welcome and glad you're enjoying your music/system so much
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Källa Foobar/VLC setup

Post by Hermann »

A bit of late, but thanks Charlie1.

Källa arrived yesterday evening.

I had suspected it. Källa is neither via Foobar, nor with VLC to see (PC and tablet). As recommended set up a dedicated IP address. So on the network, Källa is visible.
Screenshot 2021-11-27 070526s.png
Screenshot 2021-11-27 070714.png
Foobar recognizes a number of output devices including the Naim NDS, but not Källa.
Foobar.png
As shown earlier in the picture, the network is set up as follows:
AVM 7590=>AVM 3000 Rep.=>AVM 3000Rep.=> two network ports, NDS and Källa.

MinimServer is installed on the QNAP NAS.

Nothing exotic from my point of view, yet Foobar is the only app that recognizes the NDS. Also the VLC does not recognize the NDS as a UPNP device.

What could be the cause?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trust your ears
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Can you play foobar over the apple device speakers?

If so, you then set the apple device airplay target to Källa, and play via foobar.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thx springwood64

I'm getting the Ipad Mini 6 on Monday. No chance to test now. Nevertheless, it should work with Foobar or VLC on Win oder android. Stupidly, the Internet does not leave out about what it might be.
Trust your ears
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Herman, you seem to be expecting Källa to be visible from a non Apple device. Is this correct? You must Airplay to Källa from an Apple device.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I also thought that this could be the reason. That is, NAS streaming only via Apple. So Källa warms up until Monday.
Trust your ears
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Hi Hermann,
you never see Källa in Foobar or VLC what you see is your NAS and here minimserver. But that doesnt help you as long as you try to stream from a different device as Apple. Only Apple devices see Källa through Airplay.
Only Apple sees Källa as Airplay „Loudspeakers“ to stream to.

But good news is Källa is already setup the right way with a fixed IP address.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Correct. Only your Apple device will see Källa.

Think like this: Whatever you can play on your Apple device, you can direct to Källa instead.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks guys, I'll get be back on Monday when the Ipad is available.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Hope the Ipad is delivered today.

But first an ups and downs of my system. I had ordered 3 x 3m Blue Jeans CAT5b weeks ago. The delivery took forever. Since the NAS is one floor down and the music data is transmitted via two AVM repeaters, I had placed the QNAP right next to the system. A GS108T was connected in between. In fact, the system ran fine for exactly 1.5 days until suddenly everything collapsed. All the musicality was wiped away. So troubleshooting and that starts with the previously working setup. So NDS back directly into the repeater and lo and behold, system sang again. The NAS down again and when I wanted to remove the BJ cables from the switch, I had the cause. The BJ cable in Port 8 could not be removed. I already needed pliers for it. So it was clear, the cable had not only messed up the sound, but to make matters worse, it had demolished the port. Andrew from BJ immediately sent a replacement cable. Nevertheless, it is not explainable. Anyway, since then the NAS is back in its old place.

Still, I thought it might be interesting to hear the difference between connecting the NAS directly to the repeater on the one hand and the Netgear GS108T in between on the other.

Note: There is possibly a hiss to be heard, which comes from an air filter, since we had a visitor shortly before. I had forgotten to switch it off.

I tried Malia again and in the second piece Gabriel le Mar from Gabriel's Gift. So full contrast program.

Version A

1. https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... dXshLIUJOk

2. https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... 0ORSsTEkv7

Version B

3. https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... 9doQM8CuRk

4. https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... fRxbfrkiHk
Trust your ears
Scooter62

Post by Scooter62 »

Thank you for the detail in describing your ongoing process, Hermann. So much can be learned from the experience and knowledge here! Thanks to all in that regard.

As for the musical examples, the A selections were my favorite. The beginning and ending of notes were better defined, and to me there was the smallest sense that the B examples were running out of a wee bit of composure in a couple spots. Very fun listening choices!