Hermanns System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Hermanns System

Post by V.A.MKD »

Hermann wrote: 2021-06-11 16:34 Sorry, that's my mistake. It is of course configured as recommended. I did a short test but prefer as now.

I'll get a Naim cable 5 pin to DIN between Entity and 552 on Monday , which are currently still connected with old silver cable. It is indeed, as I have learned, no longer manufactured. But the German distributor sends me their last one. Very friendly...
Hi Hermann,
As a proposal for connection. Input 8 & 9 are RCA Analogue, you can use Linn Silver from Entity to 552 ... if I'm not wrong for 8 and 9 ...
So you can connect both phono stages at it best, suggested by designers ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Hi Vlado,

that's correct. The 552 actually has 2 RCA inputs. Tests a long time ago have shown that these work, but are clearly inferior to the DIN connections in musical terms. Also Naim itself rather recommends a DIN to RCA cable, which I hope to get today.
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I preferred a compact little din-to-rca converter to using Linn Silver ICs straight into the rca input on a Nait 5i. I was not expecting that result from a source first perspective.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Naim runs the ground wire and the negative separately through their equipment. Ideally, in a Naim setup, only one point of the system is grounded. Usually this is the LP12 or basically the source.

The NDS has a switch labeled "Chassis" and "Floating". If the connection generates a hum, the switch should be toggled accordingly.

The use of the RCA input softens the Naim concept and is certainly introduced according to market needs. From the 552's point of view, a DIN to RCA cable does not. On the other hand, we are talking about the last ounce of musicality and the use of RCA would clearly contradict this.
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Interesting - thanks Hermann
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Hermann wrote: 2021-06-14 08:05 Hi Vlado,

that's correct. The 552 actually has 2 RCA inputs. Tests a long time ago have shown that these work, but are clearly inferior to the DIN connections in musical terms. Also Naim itself rather recommends a DIN to RCA cable, which I hope to get today.
Yes, Hermann you are right, BUT (:-)) you can use Tune Method and check what is the best for musicality of your system, who knows, maybe result will be different ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Hi Vlado,

I use the tune method, otherwise a decision isnt possible.

Today I sent a request to Marco regarding regularities. The Tundra Monos have been on order for a few days. However, it is also clear that there will be no Sagatuns without a prior sale of the 552.

About the reasons for the decision. The Tundra stereo changed everything a few weeks ago. Since then, I have experienced a gain in musicality with every intervention. Already the Entity did not make it easy for me, but the upgrade to version 1.1 made the decision.

Both preamps play at an incredibly high level. Both leave nothing to be desired. For weeks, the two preamps have been getting closer, even though the NDS has the edge over 552. But it also shows me how badly the old ML silver cable fits. In this respect, it is important to optimise the Entity to 552 signal path.

I would like to take up Vlado's hint. The tune method is the means to an end and for me both preamps are on an equal footing and the decision is obvious. My wife prefers the Sagatuns. And since both offer musical pleasures to my taste, let's see how it turns out. It must also be considered that between Entity 1.1 and Sagatuns still the old Linn cables playing. At least that's my understanding.

I had tested the Linn K400 weeks ago, which I didn't like. I exchanged the Deltrons for Linn plugs, adjusted the length and kept to the soldering temperature that Fredrik told me. I realise that this is only approximately a best practice, for reasons Fredrik described in detail. Nevertheless, from the first moment I was amazed at how seamlessly everything fell into place.

As a result, the Naim cables have also been given original connectors. The length had been determined by me years ago and only needed to be shortened by two centimetres.

One recording LP12/Entity/Sagatuns/Tundra/K400 completely Linn wired. The other recording has the same setup with Naim NAC A5 to the briks.

Grand
1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jhPiAe ... sp=sharing

2. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E-Bn9y ... sp=sharing

Peder af Ugglas

1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-rJ7TU ... sp=sharing

2. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gduJt1 ... sp=sharing
Trust your ears
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I prefer 2.
Playing cd’s…………
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

For me 1, sounds more musical, I can easier follow the tune ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

My choice would be no. 2 as well
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I am for clip 2 - easier to follow when its getting more complex
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hermann wrote: 2021-06-16 11:51 .......even though the NDS has the edge over 552.
Hermann,
do you mean the NDS sounds better with the 552 than with the Sagatuns?
Thanks

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Yes, that's right Matt. NDS to 552 with Naim IC cable sounds better than NDS with ML silver cable to Sagatuns. And with this old ML cable were all recordings made comparing the 552 and LP12 as source to the Sagatuns. So I'm waiting for the Naim cable to swap that old cable.
Trust your ears
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hermann wrote: 2021-06-16 15:21 Yes, that's right Matt. NDS to 552 with Naim IC cable sounds better than NDS with ML silver cable to Sagatuns. And with this old ML cable were all recordings made comparing the 552 and LP12 as source to the Sagatuns. So I'm waiting for the Naim cable to swap that old cable.
Hermann,
the cable between NDS and 552 or Sagatuns is in my view extremely important and can most probably give preference to one of the preamps.

Matt
Last edited by matthias on 2021-06-16 16:46, edited 2 times in total.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I prefer 1, especially on Peder af Ugglas. I initially preferred 2 on Grand but then went back and changed my mind - close for me on that first track though.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2021-06-16 11:51 Both preamps play at an incredibly high level. Both leave nothing to be desired. For weeks, the two preamps have been getting closer, even though the NDS has the edge over 552. But it also shows me how badly the old ML silver cable fits. In this respect, it is important to optimise the Entity to 552 signal path.

The tune method is the means to an end and for me both preamps are on an equal footing and the decision is obvious. My wife prefers the Sagatuns. And since both offer musical pleasures to my taste, let's see how it turns out.
Good morning Hermann,

Could you remind me which preamps you are comparing, the Sagatun monos and what else?

Thanks
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Ok Tony, a bit unclear again, sorry. I only knew stereo preamps until recently. Perhaps that's why the plural was misleadingly used. Of course, in the quoted section the comparison 552 with the Sagatuns is meant.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2021-06-16 16:56 Ok Tony, a bit unclear again, sorry. I only knew stereo preamps until recently. Perhaps that's why the plural was misleadingly used. Of course, in the quoted section the comparison 552 with the Sagatuns is meant.
Thanks Hermann, that is what I thought...but wasn't sure.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I'm liking clip 1 better on both pieces of music. I just get into the music more on the first clips.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Yes, after listening again I am going to change my mind on these. I now prefer 1 instead og 2.
Playing cd’s…………
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I also prefer the 1 clips. They were recorded with the K400. In fact, I wasn't expecting this after my first test. In any case, with all measures I am at a point where it is no longer easier to breathe easily with the 552, as described above.
Trust your ears
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-06-16 16:40
I prefer 1, especially on Peder af Ugglas. I initially preferred 2 on Grand but then went back and changed my mind - close for me on that first track though.
+1. My thoughts exactly.
Eli7

Post by Eli7 »

1 for me.
Wonderful at Grand!!..:)
MDSM3 / Netgear GS 108T-200 / BJC Cat 6a / K200 (Lejonklou Cut K400) /
M140