Hermanns System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Hermanns System

Post by tokenbrit »

Scooter62 wrote: 2021-11-29 13:30 Thank you for the detail in describing your ongoing process, Hermann. So much can be learned from the experience and knowledge here! Thanks to all in that regard.

As for the musical examples, the A selections were my favorite. The beginning and ending of notes were better defined, and to me there was the smallest sense that the B examples were running out of a wee bit of composure in a couple spots. Very fun listening choices!
I had to listen on my iPad because the Android phone wasn’t telling me much… I am going with ‘62: the A version of Fever has an energy that seems a little diminished in B, and the singing seems more Accomplished, Atmospheric & Authentic
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks to you

I had played the recordings via a NUC to a monitor controller to the Presonus E8/T10 and wondered about the reverberation. Maybe I should get closer to the system soon, when Källa competes against NDS.
Trust your ears
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

My choice is the A tracks.

I suspect that B has the GS-108T connected in between, as they feel a bit compressed. The thing about the switch is that it does just that; smooths and compresses the music slightly. In some cases, this is for the better as it removes a raw harshness. In other cases, often when there are other devices in between the router/WiFi access point and the streamer, the switch smooths when it isn't necessary. It's usually very easy to tell which is better and with Källa, which is tolerant of interruptions in its ethernet connection, you can usually just hit pause and when the music stops you disconnect the ethernet cable going into the switch and connect it directly to Källa (bypassing the switch). Then press play again.

When you get the ipad mini 6, I recommend you update it to the latest iPadOS at once, as it's likely to run 15.0 when it arrives. Choose Settings - General - Software update.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Presumably you were there for the session.... It is indeed as you describe, over the repeater it sounds more relaxed. The estimates are correct, the first pieces are directly from the repeater.

Since the AVM repeater has two network outputs, the comparison will be easy. Neither is preferable, but I don't know how they react when two devices are connected.

But the Ipad mini arrived today and I'm sitting here working my way in. Sorry it's taking longer than expected.

So, playstore logged in. There was an app being talked about here mconnect. There are several there. Which is the right one that can also access my NAS? Am grateful for hints.

OS ist auf 15.1
Trust your ears
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

There’s MConnect Lite, which is free but has adverts and MConnect which is paid for so no adverts. Foobar2000 is free and will also do the job. Try comparing that to MConnect Lite and see which you prefer.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yep, I'm liking the A version on both tracks. It has more life to it.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-11-30 20:39 Yep, I'm liking the A version on both tracks. It has more life to it.
I'm liking the A version on both tracks as well, it's more musical and easier to follow.
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Great guys, in unison right.

Anyway, I have a first small success to record, stream now radio via Källa and have a first impression at the same station. The NDS plays a little louder.

So far I could not convince Foobar and VLC to find Airplay. But will hopefully...
Trust your ears
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

The Airplay output isn’t necessarily built into the app. To send any output playing on your device to Airplay, pull down from top right, then click on the triangle icon in the top right box. You should then see a list of devices to choose from which includes Lejonklou.

Hope this helps.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks macrotech2, that was the push.
Sometimes you just think too complicated, although it has been mentioned bevor many times.

The enormous difference in volume between the two is striking. Plays the NDS at mid green, is the Källa at end yellow at the same volume.
Trust your ears
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

yes Hermann a little bit louder than normal listening volume is already about 5 dB from set limit of Sagatun
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I am getting a feeling for the differences in volume. As a rule, it's 6-7 clicks more with the NDS.
It is difficult with my CD collection. Almost every CD plays at the upper edge of green at room volume. If it is louder, yellow appears and if a higher volume is required, the end is reached. With the NDS, higher volume are possible with the same colour.

Before a musical comparison is made, I'll post a small example of the difference.
Trust your ears
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Herman you need to disable the volume lock on the Sagatuns. See the manual for what button to press when you restart. Not at home so can’t tell you which button, sorry.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

This will be done later and thank you, but manual is at hand. The upper threshold is less interesting for a comparison. It is for volume. Fredik has written about this.
Trust your ears
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

From the manual:

This is how you reboot: Press and hold the front button SRC/MUTE. Then press and hold both front VOL buttons. Keep all three buttons pressed for 3 seconds.

When Sagatun is starting up, the indicator shows a sequence of six red blinks. During these red blinks, pressing a front button will activate a user setting. A short white blink will confirm that your choice is registered.

+VOL: The standard setting is that volume stops at level 78. Pressing +VOL during the start up sequence removes this limit and Sagatun can go to volume 100.

---

Please note that you need to do this on both preamps when you have Sagatun Mono.

The three-button-press reset was replaced with a much simpler procedure in Boazu. But then I had optimized the firmware in Sagatun so carefully that I didn't want to touch it.

I wonder, has this volume limit actually helped anyone (e.g. from blowing up your speakers) or is it mainly in the way? Should it be removed in the future?

I had thoughts of neat tricks like IF volume is higher than 78 AND no music has been playing for an hour THEN decrease volume to 60. But unfortunately it turned out that sensing whether there's music playing or quiet is a feature that is really difficult to implement without affecting sound quality. Tried it in Tundra as well, when making an automatic adjustment of idling currents when there's no music, but failed to make it "transparent".
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you Fredrik, will do that later.

Since both streamers compete very closely, I have exchanged the silver cable from the NDS for a new DIN to Chinch from Naim. I shouldn't have done that, it's even tighter. Unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention to the cable during the whole process. Now, however, it's playing in and it's become clear how the silver cable inflated the bass.

Up to this point, my wife preferred the NDS. Now restlessness has arisen again...
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

After seven hours of music, here are some examples. Both streamers are plugged into the AVM Repeater 3000. A test showed no differences between the two. The repeater is plugged into a house outlet, NDS and Källa own supply, as is the analog section.

I may give the NDS some credit, as the Naim cable is not yet properly burned in.

CP is an Ipad Mini 6, with Foobar2000.

But listen for yourself. Today with LP12, Klimax version into Entity 1.1 to Sagatuns Mono and Tundra Stereo to briks.

Regarding music, familiar and new. Malia - Clair Cadillac and Rabih Ahbu Khalil with Between Dust and Down.

I changed the shooting point a bit, is now closer to the briks.

Enjoy

A. Malia
A-1. https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... QS7JsRRWX7
A-2. https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... iT40NAxiLV
A-3. https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... AHQR7r6fry

B. Rabih Ahbu Khalil
B-1. https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... BfqS972lEX
B-2. https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... 0L3VPfNJHV
B-3. https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... 0L3VPfNJHV
Trust your ears
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

It's a bit difficult with Khalil, but I prefer A3 and B3
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-12-01 11:52 I wonder, has this volume limit actually helped anyone (e.g. from blowing up your speakers) or is it mainly in the way? Should it be removed in the future?
I’ve always turned the volume limit off, so it could be removed for me. When I had Akubariks I could turn up well past the limit with no problems on quieter tracks.

It’s not an issue on music with my current speakers which are more sensitive. However, Disney+ is always very quiet on Apple TV so Airplaying to Källa would hit the limit if it was there.

When to turn down is quite obvious on Tundras anyway. The only time I’ve heard a Stereo clip is when trying to drive Kudos 606.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack, back to Hermann’s system!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Of the two streamers I prefer 3 to 2. 3 moves better whereas 2 seems more "Hi-Fi" in being detailed but a bit pulled apart and not as good a flow. But I prefer the LP12 (1) over either of those although 3 does give some of the same movement.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I think the first clip is still a little louder. And it has a presence/authority/confidence that the other two clips dont have. The second clip has still more of that than the third clip.

Only looking at musical flow the third clip is for me the clip which has the most structure … 3rd clip is Källa for sure.

BTW what are the components of your LP12?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I was wondering how Thomas recognised 1 as the LP12… then it clicked. Agree with others: 3 has something over 2 (based on the A tracks - I didn’t really listen to the B tracks)

Is your NDS still powered by a 555PS, or did that change when you swapped out the Naim phono stage & preamp for Entity & Sagatun Monos?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

For me 1 > 3 > 2 as well, I didn't get a "connection" to the B tracks.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Scooter62

Post by Scooter62 »

A3 and B3 for me, like tendaberry noted. 1 is runner up for both tracks, but what made clear my choice for 3 was the recurring motive in Rabih Ahbu Khalil - duh duh-duh duhhh, duh duh-duh duhhh. On 3 you could feel the delicious syncopation of the final “duhhh”. B1 rather overplayed its hand and obscured it in comparison. A subtle thing, but that particular rhythmic tension makes the whole track interesting to me.

Thanks for the comparisons Hermann!