Hermanns System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Hermanns System

Post by matthias »

Hermann wrote: 2023-11-09 15:18 The assessment is not absolute. I see the jump from Kandid to Ekstatik rather like the jump from AVM to Amplifi. Maybe it wasn't stated clearly enough.
Thanks, the delta is interesting anyway.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

At the end of an exciting year, I would like to thank all the users who shared their moods, opinions and tips. First and foremost, however, my thanks go to Fredrik. Every single step, even over the past few years, pushes the system for the better. And I look forward to future developments with great confidence, which will provide us with plenty of material to discuss.

Above all, the changes over the past five years, which have almost completely transformed my system, often send me on a mental journey that always ends with a smile.

Maybe some are aware of dissatisfied conditions when the system selects the music and not yourself. In fact, after moving into the loft, my system was not capable of anything else until I found this forum and lots of tips and swapping devices led to the goal .

This forum can easily be described as a collective intelligence (certainly others too), with a very topic-centered and pleasant discussion culture.

Therefore, I wish everyone a musical, healthy and happy New Year 2024!

Oh yes, music examples will be coming soon...
Trust your ears
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Fine words Hermann.

Happy New Year to all!
Playing cd’s…………
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Happy new year too!

Owning Lejonklou devices is more like owning artisanal musical instruments than consumer electronics, and the knowledge of the care and precision that goes in to making each one adds to the enjoyment that the music brings.
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

You’re too kind.

Happy New Year to all the members of this fantastic forum!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I totally agree with everything that’s been said. Here’s to a happy new year to one and all.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

springwood64 wrote: 2023-12-31 14:04 Happy new year too!

Owning Lejonklou devices is more like owning artisanal musical instruments than consumer electronics, and the knowledge of the care and precision that goes in to making each one adds to the enjoyment that the music brings.
I fully agree with what is said here and above by Hermann. Lejonklou equipment brings more musical satisfaction to my LP12 and record collection than I have ever experienced and more engagement to streaming than I would have thought possible.

Happy New Year to all the fine people up here!

Interesting to note that a very well written review on the Boazu by a reviewer who really gets the products (he bought the Boazu and more recently an Entity) will be appearing very soon at enjoythemusic.com The review is complete and should b published in January. It will be a nice start to 2024.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I cannot add to what's already been said so I'll just say Happy New Year everyone.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Perfect Tom!!!
Screenshot 2024-01-01 164741.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hermann on 2024-01-09 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
Trust your ears
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Hermann wrote: 2024-01-01 16:50 Happy New Year from me too.

Perfect Tom!!!
Screenshot 2024-01-01 164741.png
That is amusing timing. Where I am there was still 6 hours to go but even so I didn't realize I nailed it right on the hour. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket (although a big one was just won in Grand Blanc, Michigan, where two of my sisters live, but neither of them won it).

By the way, that review surprised me by coming out on yesterday, the 1st. I posted a link to it in the Boazu section.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

You live up to your reputation as an LP12 guru, because the turntable also has excellent timing, I would say...
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

As announced, a new comparison.
I had recorded some other songs, but unfortunately the SD card couldn't be read afterwards. Now the well-known ones.
During a recording session the PRE REC was switched on in zoom recorder, hence some "noise" initially.

Kari

A1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CuNeJa ... sp=sharing

B1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h_b8YL ... sp=sharing

Mesta

A2. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1naHhKL ... sp=sharing

B2. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NAkGaM ... sp=sharing

Take Five

A3. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R33cuj ... sp=sharing

B3. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GgnahO ... sp=sharing
Trust your ears
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I'm leaning towards A (listened to Kari and Dave).
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I prefer A.
Playing cd’s…………
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I am with A too but just listened to Take Five
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

I vote:
Kari -B
Take Five -B

A is very good but B is some next level stuff. Almost magical!
Edit: Hermann, I'm curious how you find it to sound in the room.
Last edited by Whatsmynaim on 2024-01-06 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I find these tricky. I’m happy to listen to A or B, but if pushed for a preference would choose A.
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I find A quite a lot better on Kari.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hermann wrote: 2024-01-06 09:46
Prefer A, but the difference on Kari is bigger than on the other two.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

A1 and A3 for me. Didn't listen to clip 2.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

hey Hermann what was the comparison about?
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you for the comments.

Before I solve the puzzle, I would like to share my thoughts.

On December 7th, 2023 I switched the system back on to check its functionality after the upgrade. My concern was to wait some time until they warmed up. The first impressions were of freshness or enormous agility, disbelief and a shifted tonal balance into the high range. Only after five hours did the next short session take place, during which the first impressions were confirmed. The most noticeable change was an almost unbelievable musicality. Incredible because a level of perfection had previously been achieved that did not create any further needs. My wife’s comment: “How does he do that? This is madness, like magic.”

But something else also emerged, a microcosm of information primarily in the background. A lot could suddenly be heard and as if it were missing before, which it wasn't, the feeling for the entirety of musical representation takes on a completely different meaning. Internal tensions automatically increase the volume level (if still possible) to capture even the smallest and quietest structures. Sometimes the volume is reduced, only to be turned up again in favorite places. How crazy is that?

Maybe some of my notes are crazy too - enormous suction power - literally sparkling with musical energy - need buckets to absorb excess hormones - buzzing in musical cosms - live experience - Spock's fascinating or - reduction to the original signal. Not all of them are suitable to share, but perhaps one more – losing weight through dancing!

As I read, I couldn't find any appropriate words to describe it. Maybe a metaphor. Almost everyone knows the Hubble experiment, when those responsible came up with the idea of targeting a black dot in the universe for several hours. The result is known. Or the perfect spice for exquisite dishes that might be tasty without it. The comparisons are certainly a bit flawed, but that is exactly what happens. Musical lines can be heard down to the deepest structures of the composition, regardless of the volume level.

One week later. I should mention that Källa had been playing through since day one and the Tundra Monos were off.
Only slowly did the tonal balance change, but some instruments, primarily hihat and snare drum and some wind instruments, were too prominent. I wrote to Fredrik and described my findings. Interestingly, my findings were confirmed and the answer was that a component obviously requires a very long break-in period. Four weeks should be enough.

In addition to shorter and longer sessions, the real quality of the Sagatuns stood out even before New Year's Eve. New Year's Eve was a 24 hour session in which many songs filled the room easily and casually at 100% volume. Clipping could be heard immediately and three/four clicks were enough to reduce it.

I have heard the Isobarik in many setups, especially actively with Naim and Linn Elektronik. It seems to me as if it's being actively used now and on the fourth day my wife said: "The voice is almost like the Grahams." And that's it. I still listen to some lists in disbelief and sometimes have to go back for seconds to rule out the risk of an acoustic illusion. But yes, the silence at the end of the dying echo is part of the music! Or when the single strike of an equally quiet bell suddenly causes persistent vibrations. Or when I thought Ginger Baker’s drum solo on “Do what you like” really stuck with me. I can't describe how hard the bass drums spin, the drum set is in the room or how I hear the end of the piece that I never really liked. Even there, there's a lot more going on than just drumming. There are too many of these examples to mention them all. I was not previously aware of the relevance of the musical background in this way. Now I know better. And - I suddenly hear Igy Pop!
At this point my decision was made to accept the upgrade, the suction effect was too great. I just have to admit that the three most important insights for me, musicality, microcosm and that springy bass, weren't enough. The tonal balance remains inconsistent.

The comparison is the Sagatun Mono upgrade 1.7 against the previous version V1.4. Obviously components were replaced, but also torques were adjusted, of which Fredrik found two pricks and chose the best one. At least that is my understanding. Fredrik will adjust the Sagatuns again. At this point I would like to thank him very much for the quick and informative correspondence.

If I have to get to the point, the three most important improvements are mentioned above. But for me it is by no means explainable how a previously perfect sounding system conjures up such a fresh and limitless musical result after the upgrade.

A are the Sagatuns with V1.4
B according to V1.7

In fact, when I listened to the recordings, it was clear to me that not very much of the improvements were coming through. If the origin is known, they can be separated and classified.
Trust your ears
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Hermann wrote: 2024-01-08 17:28
A are the Sagatuns with V1.4
B according to V1.7
?? But most liked A more then B 🤔
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

This is exactly where the crux lies. Version 1.4 offered the balanced experience and in my system the V 1.7 shifts the tonal balance and prioritizes some areas. Fredrik is aware of this and we'll see what happens next.

By the way, that doesn't have to mean every system reacts in the same way. I've been working on containment in the high frequency range for some time and through an old music friend in England (we lost touch for many years), I received very valuable information for exactly this area.
Trust your ears
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Hermann wrote: 2024-01-08 20:06 This is exactly where the crux lies. Version 1.4 offered the balanced experience and in my system the V 1.7 shifts the tonal balance and prioritizes some areas. Fredrik is aware of this and we'll see what happens next.

By the way, that doesn't have to mean every system reacts in the same way. I've been working on containment in the high frequency range for some time and through an old music friend in England (we lost touch for many years), I received very valuable information for exactly this area.
Alright, understood
I am at 10 days since 1.7
Curious if I get the same experience as you
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables