Very active member
Very active member

Re: Hermanns System

Post by Defender »

... with the only difference that Ron did choose clip 2
El Mero Mero

Post by El Mero Mero »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-02-01 22:59 Regarding your clips, I much prefer 2 over 1 on every comparison. I don't think it's close.
I feel the same way. 2 is better.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I prefer 1 which I assume is the Entity. It's a lot more tuneful to my ears.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Defender wrote: 2021-02-02 04:20 ... with the only difference that Ron did choose clip 2
Correct!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I am personally not going to comment on these clips as they have been recorded in a way that is outside my comfort zone.

I can convince myself either way......

I only feel fully confident about my choices when listening to recordings made using Apple equipment (sadly).
Playing cd’s…………
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks to all contributors

I think some realize how difficult the decision is. Have also listened to each piece on headphones from the link of the I-Net. Sometimes the lines are better to follow with the SL, then with the Entity. Same here in the room.

Entity on the mana pile next to the SL is right up there with it.

1 Superline, 2 Entity

One last test that wasn't possible today. If my impression is confirmed, the decision is clear.
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I'm surprised and still prefer clip 1.

I compared Boazu/Slipsik to SN3 into Briks and Kans and the former made the Naim literally sound out of tune - and I'm not as sensitive to the tune as many regulars here. So perhaps an apple clip isn't a bad idea although it really comes down to what you prefer and hear in the room.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Didn't post sooner because on some I leaned slightly towards 1, but on others 2 came across stronger... Overall I couldn't shake the impression that the room (and the shelving) were more influential than the phono stages. That the Entity was at least as good as the SL+SC/DR makes it a no brainer, for me, but I'd want to hear it for myself rather than judge based on these clips.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

my take on that:
First: keeping in mind the Entity is still low on hours there is likely a small improvement still to expext.
Second:Fredrik might offer upgrades on the way if he finds something out which is unlikely for the Naim.
Third: if its even than consider the resale value of the Naim - you might be able to finance part of the Tundra from the money left over buying the Entity.

Let alone it is so close is impressive.
Eli7

Post by Eli7 »

I'm surprised. I really thought that clip 2 was the superline.
MDSM3 / Netgear GS 108T-200 / BJC Cat 6a / K200 (Lejonklou Cut K400) /
M140
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I wonder if something isn’t quite right here? The Entity in Defender’s system sounds fabulous, whereas this one doesn’t quite cut the mustard. Naim systems can be a bit earth/ground sensitive, so is there a possibility that an earth loop has crept in somewhere?
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-02-02 16:18 Didn't post sooner because on some I leaned slightly towards 1, but on others 2 came across stronger...
That's similar to my listening experience as well. Although clip 1 appears to sound better, clip 2 seems to sound better on some recordings. It's not easy to evaluate through my computer system, the audio section (or speakers) can't reveal much of a difference consistently. Needless to say, I would much rather listen in person.

Just go with what sounds best to your ears Hermann...

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
El Mero Mero

Post by El Mero Mero »

El Mero Mero wrote: 2021-02-02 09:39
Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-02-01 22:59 Regarding your clips, I much prefer 2 over 1 on every comparison. I don't think it's close.
Hermann wrote: 2021-02-02 14:39 1 Superline, 2 Entity
Great work Fredrik! I am impressed!
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I saw these clips too late to post my opinion, but thought that 2 (Entity) was better. Good job Fredrik!
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Very very close to the ThomasOK system as a "school" ...
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

El Mero Mero wrote: 2021-02-03 11:03
El Mero Mero wrote: 2021-02-02 09:39
Hermann wrote: 2021-02-02 14:39 1 Superline, 2 Entity
Great work Fredrik! I am impressed!
Hi El Mero Mero,
What is your system? I try to find but ...
It is interesting to know ...
Music First ...
Vlado
kampak

Post by kampak »

didnt post due to unclear outcome on 1st approach... wanted to check later again

My opinion was 2 is clear better... except for the Malia Track

system is Linn/Lejonklou/Kudos
Linn-Lejonklou-Kudos
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

kampak wrote: 2021-02-03 18:12 didnt post due to unclear outcome on 1st approach... wanted to check later again

My opinion was 2 is clear better... except for the Malia Track
Very interesting, that particular track sounded better on "clip 1" to me as well.
Tony Tune-age
ITB

Post by ITB »

Herman, have you considered, now that you like the Tundra, to give it a try on the Sagatun mono or stereo? Who knows, that might also be a pleasant surprise.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

During the first few days with Tundra, only the NDS played as the LP12 sat in the jig.

The hole time the LP12 was playing the sound gave me to think for any reason. But looking for the best sound that's probably perished.

Now after a week only playing LP12 first heard the NDS yesterday and lo and behold the Tundra shows its full potential again. Just not with the LP12. I have to admit I obviously screwed up the setup last week. That's needs to be solved now. And that's why the sound examples are perhaps only conditionally relevant. I should have waited with the examples and cured my cold first. Sorry for that.

Some findings:

1. the Naim Hi line Power cable does not fit the Tundra, reduces the tempo in the bass range, seems broader, less precise, lines harder to follow.

2. the Naim Fraim doesn't really want it either. My wife immediately said, why does it suddenly sound so weird, not fresh and simple as before.

The Tundra on Fraim shows its merits, but far from full potential. As if the music was reduced, constricted, a strangely dull impression spreads. Since the Fraim is built hierarchically, swapped with the Radikal (upper level) but the impression remains. I can not run the Tundra on Fraim. It clearly cries out for the reference table of Mana.

3. LP12 setup has to be done. I'll post a picture of the arm cable as it is attached in the clip tomorrow. My dealer stated that was ok, I mean not. I don't know if it is because of that. In any case, I miss with the LP12 what the NDS outputs just outstanding.

4. @Spannko, the ground switch of NDS has no effect to the sound.

The SL was off to set the Entity correct (own Fraim level). But it had no effect sonically, which already gave me again something for thought. The position hardly affected what I initially attributed to my buzzing head. But playing the NDS it was immediately clear, the LP12 has a problem. No idea what it is. Anyway, it is now obvisious to me why the two phonos are hardly distinguishable. The LP12 simply does not show there potential currently.

SL is back in the fraim and warming up since yesterday. Tomorrow the (renewed) setup of the LP12.

@ITB, yes I consider to give them a go when Tundra Monos are available.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hope you get the LP12 issue resolved soon Hermann...hang in there!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Having a cold while working on your LP12, let alone do some critical listening is not a healthy combination.

Get well soon Hermann and happy to hear how your test evolves when you feel good again.

Gute besserung und schönen Grüss aus Amsterdam,

Marco
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks to you Tony and Marco

Just hope the setup is the reason. Tundra is back on the Reference Table and I am pleased with the sound.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

A short interim report. The Tundra stereo is purchased and I am really happy with it. It is still on the Mana Referece Table, which fits perfectly.

To illustrate the extent of musical gain, I listen to music from early in the morning until late at night. During the day vinly evening streaming.

Although for some time I have mutated into a series junky (Netflix) I have not watched a single video in the entire time. I think the quality of the Tundra is not better to describe.

Regarding the LP12, I couldn't find any problem and yet it plays better. As soon as the Entity is back I'll post examples.

Since today, a Hi-Line plays between phono and 552. Has unfortunately not the gain as with the NDS, yet it sounds a little more transparent. But since it was installed immediately after delivery, this may change.
Trust your ears
kampak

Post by kampak »

Haha I had to laugh...

I have a Tundra Stereo, too. Quite new as yours... but I stream the whole day and play vinyl at evening and night ;-)

Methinks its different, but you´re right: Tundra is not better to describe.

Gruß in´n Pott, Karsten
Linn-Lejonklou-Kudos