Hermanns System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Hermanns System

Post by Tendaberry »

My instinct says "1", no. 2 had me rotating in my chair within seconds.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hermann wrote: 2021-06-10 11:18
Defender wrote: 2021-06-08 19:48 mmh Hermann now it would have been better that it would be a blind test without knowing which was which because you might think there is expectation bias involved.
I agree with you fully, Defender. I should have done that and will do so in the future. OTOH I shouldn't trust my ears any more, because some descriptions are not comprehensible to me.

Now for the order of the mains cables. One shot with the order recommended by Fredrik and the other Tundra is plugged into its own circuit.

1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kntMzb ... sp=sharing

2. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F_IeK- ... sp=sharing
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

when I heard clip 1 even without hearing clip 2 I thought - did I ever heard this song so musical and easy to follow from your system?
than I started clip 2 and didnt liked it as much as clip 1
so its clip 1 for me
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yep, same here - 1
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Defender wrote: 2021-06-10 15:30 when I heard clip 1 even without hearing clip 2 I thought - did I ever heard this song so musical and easy to follow from your system?
than I started clip 2 and didnt liked it as much as clip 1
so its clip 1 for me
I think you heard difference to the new Linn kabel, it's been playing for two days between Sagatuns and Tundra. As I understand Marco, other plugs are soldered with gap. Will be another comparison though, old Linn kabel vs new.

Amazing agreement. After listening to both a few times, I've also arrived at 1. I guess it takes me a little longer sometimes. No 1 is Fredrick's recommendation.

Tomorrow the Naim.
Trust your ears
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

It is nice to be superfluous while being in agreement with the all you gents. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Sorry Beck, I was a too quick, but also pleased because of the agreement. Thanks for your assessment.
Trust your ears
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Hermann wrote: 2021-06-10 17:31 Sorry Beck, I was a too quick, but also pleased because of the agreement. Thanks for your assessment.
No need to be sorry Hermann. I really think it is nice to take the backseat especially when we all agree anyway! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

so Clip 1 is Sagatun Mono first in the power strip but also new Linn Silver (@Marco: are those new Linn Silver the Linn Silver Analogue II cables factory made or did you solder them)
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

First I supplied the Sagatun Monos with 2 pairs of early non-slotted Linn silver RCAs.

The 'newer' Linn silver cable is still mk1 - so not the current mk2 version - but a slotted version, and a pair I ran into by accident upon clearing our storage room and sent that also to Hermann.

Haven't tried mk2 Linn silvers yet so can't comment on that unfortunately.

All Linn silvers are factory soldered pairs.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Tanks Tony and thanks to marco for clarification .

One thing maybe, my wife is leaning a little more towards the Sagatuns....
Trust your ears
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I think/hope putting Sagatun Mono first in the power strip is tuning the tide.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

It's alright beck, you're not the only one late to the party. But clip 1 is definitely the more musical, making me listen to the whole clip. Clip 2 just seemed flat in comparison, uninvolving.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hermann wrote: 2021-06-10 11:18Now for the order of the mains cables. One shot with the order recommended by Fredrik and the other Tundra is plugged into its own circuit.

1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kntMzb ... sp=sharing

2. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F_IeK- ... sp=sharing
Hermann, can you please tell us what we listened to (the system) and what the difference was between 1 and 2? I'm not sure I understood that.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Well setup is Sagatuns, Entity1.1, Radikal, Tundra plugged in in that order. As you can see in the picture, there are two of them in a row and each has its own fuse. The test referred to the order and my impression in the evening when I followed the recommendation. I didn't like it that way at first. Therefore, the Tundra pluged in the second recording in the other power strip and not in the first.

(I have not drawn the ground wire, but it should be mandatory.)
Verkabelung.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trust your ears
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

How the ground wires are connected is extremely important and will have an influence on the sound.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks Spannko, the grounding system of the house has been checked by me and is perfect. Naim has always benefited from good grounding. So that was appropriately important in the setup.

And I should mention that the wires in the power strips are tightened with screws and soldered .
Last edited by Hermann on 2021-06-11 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
Trust your ears
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I’m guessing that you’re using the 5’th conductor in your 5x10mm flex. Are the grounds connected in parallel (star wired) or in series like the power strips?

I need to sort my house earthing out too. What recommendations do you have to ensure a perfect arrangement?
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

It's not built as star shape, but in a row. I don't think much of a star-shaped arrangement.

To improve a grounding system is some work necessary and can only be decided on site. In any case, a connection to an earth rod must be made from inside to outside.

In fact, I do not know the current offers of the trade and how the regulations are in your country.
It was more than 40 years ago when I left the profession and devoted myself to other things.

Water, heating and gas pipes must be connected (without paint application) and the different materials must not corrode. That's what I would check existing grounding systems at first. If in doubt, call a craftsman, because the grounding system can be life-saving. So always consider very carefully what changes should be made.

Of course, this implicates a separate line from the house distributor to the stereo system. Thus, for example, influences from the apartment can be minimized.
Trust your ears
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

o.k. we compared Tundra on the same strip (Clip 1) vs. only Tundra on the other strip (Clip 2)
Both Sagatun Monos have been on the same strip right?

Since I had the feeling that was the best musicality which I heard from your system with the Sagatun Monos I assume the Linn Silvers (slotted) you now use sound better than the non slotted you used before (and also better as the other cables which sounded detailed and precise but not musical). But that assumption can be wrong as you also changed the order of power connection.

Anyway, I thought it should be even more musical with Radikal second (after the monos) and Entity third and than Tundra.
Do you want to try that and send us comparisons with only changing that order?
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-10 21:39 It's alright beck, you're not the only one late to the party. But clip 1 is definitely the more musical, making me listen to the whole clip. Clip 2 just seemed flat in comparison, uninvolving.
+1 for Clip 1 ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Hermann wrote: 2021-06-11 12:34 It's not built as star shape, but in a row. I don't think much of a star-shaped arrangement.

To improve a grounding system is some work necessary and can only be decided on site. In any case, a connection to an earth rod must be made from inside to outside.

In fact, I do not know the current offers of the trade and how the regulations are in your country.
It was more than 40 years ago when I left the profession and devoted myself to other things.

Water, heating and gas pipes must be connected (without paint application) and the different materials must not corrode. That's what I would check existing grounding systems at first. If in doubt, call a craftsman, because the grounding system can be life-saving. So always consider very carefully what changes should be made.

Of course, this implicates a separate line from the house distributor to the stereo system. Thus, for example, influences from the apartment can be minimized.
Thanks Hermann 👍
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Defender wrote: 2021-06-11 12:59Anyway, I thought it should be even more musical with Radikal second (after the monos) and Entity third and than Tundra.
Yes, I thought of that too. I'm certain that will be better.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Sorry, that's my mistake. It is of course configured as recommended. I did a short test but prefer as now.

I'll get a Naim cable 5 pin to DIN between Entity and 552 on Monday , which are currently still connected with old silver cable. It is indeed, as I have learned, no longer manufactured. But the German distributor sends me their last one. Very friendly...
Trust your ears