Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Hermanns System

Post by Hermann »

matthias wrote: 2021-12-07 11:08 Hermann,
so do you stick to your statement on top of page 15 of this thread?
Thanks
Yes I do. However, I am very curious to hear the Källa in a perfect setup. Maybe Fredik was right when he said "I hadn't heard the Källa's capabilities properly yet".
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Perhaps a small addition regarding WLAN / repeater. Since I use devices from the company AVM, a log is currently open, which has the purpose of not running audio data exclusively via the router. I have concretized my request with my configuration, in which streamer and server are operated on both ports of the repeater. Since this causes complications, the server is connected directly to the router again.

My query was, does the server, when connected to the same repeater as the streamer, transmit the data to the router and back to the streamer. Since this is the case, it will be forwarded to the technical department to find a solution to route the audio data in the repeater directly to the streamer. If this is implemented, it would possibly be a gain.

Of course, a switch would help, but since both devices showed better musicality directly on the repeater's port, I'm going this route for now before a long cable is laid.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I had the opportunity to hear the Kandid against an Ekstatik on the same deck yesterday. However, over a complete Linn chain with LP12 Klimax, R/2, Urika 2, DSM and Akubarik (the big one).

To say in advance, the Ekstatik is ordered and available. Unfortunately, the R/2 and Ekstatik will be installed next week. A test between Radikal and R/2 could not take place.

From the very first note, it was clearly audible how a "curtain" fell. Not only that, but if the entire system didn't sound very musical to me with Kandid, the Ekstatik lifted the musicality to a completely different level. Suddenly I heard certain similarities to my system. I had never noticed that before. A pickup system with such a boost in musicality. My wife spontaneously said, almost like home!

I'm really excited about the Ekstatik and hope the Entity1.1 can handle that.
Trust your ears
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Nice report Hermann. I also found the musicality to be the big upgrade of the Ekstatik on the decks I have installed it on. There is definitely more information, especially low level information, but it all serves the music in my experience. The Ekstatik works very well with the Entity 1.1. One of my customers reported that the 120 Ohm setting was the most musical. I haven't been able to try it yet as I am currently out of Entity units. So I'm stuck having to listen to it through SINGularity. :-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Good morning Hermann,

Thanks for your listening report of the Ekstatik and Kandid cartridge comparison. We could tell immediately how much better sounding the Ekstatik was over the Kandid. Of course there is a significant cost difference between the two cartridges as well. But in any case, the Ekstatik does perform at a much higher level and certainly raises the bar substantially.

In addition, I think you will really appreciate the Klimax Radikal 2 upgrade also. With these two upgrades, the SondekLP12 is more musical than ever before. Just when I thought the LP12 probably couldn't sound much better...it does!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you Tom and Tony.

I hope to hear this unusual impression on my own system as well.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Hermann wrote: 2022-01-12 15:45 I had the opportunity to hear the Kandid against an Ekstatik on the same deck yesterday. However, over a complete Linn chain with LP12 Klimax, R/2, Urika 2, DSM and Akubarik (the big one).

[...]
I quote myself to get something right.

It was'nt Akubarik but the active Komri speakers. The system connected from the LP12 over Ethernet to the speakers.

It still makes me thinking that such an expensive system did not sound musical in the least when the Kandid played. Bloated bass and very restrained mids and highs. Does not remind me of a Kandid in any way. There is a lot of talk about the musical merits of Linn systems. Why on earth have I not been able to perceive this so far?
Trust your ears
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Hermann wrote: 2022-01-13 13:32
It was'nt Akubarik but the active Komri speakers. The system connected from the LP12 over Ethernet to the speakers.
It still makes me thinking that such an expensive system did not sound musical in the least when the Kandid played. Bloated bass and very restrained mids and highs. Does not remind me of a Kandid in any way. There is a lot of talk about the musical merits of Linn systems. Why on earth have I not been able to perceive this so far?
Maybe you just don't like Exakt? If the Komris sound bloated, they aren't correctly positioned/set up.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Well thx Tendaberry, I agree with you. The setup was certainly not correct. The difference between the two pickups, however, very large. Especially the bass range made me sit up and take notice when the Ekstatik played. A completely different system. Basically, I am still stunned by this impression, positive and negative.

I do not know what Exakt means in the Linn terminus. Should it be the digital chain, then no, not my thing.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2022-01-13 07:27 Thank you Tom and Tony.

I hope to hear this unusual impression on my own system as well.
I think you will hear a major improvement in your system Hermann, and you might be just as impressed...if not more impressed.

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks Tony, YMMD ;-)
Trust your ears
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Hermann wrote: 2022-01-13 14:11 Well thx Tendaberry, I agree with you. The setup was certainly not correct. The difference between the two pickups, however, very large. Especially the bass range made me sit up and take notice when the Ekstatik played. A completely different system. Basically, I am still stunned by this impression, positive and negative.

I do not know what Exakt means in the Linn terminus. Should it be the digital chain, then no, not my thing.
Yes, Exakt is Linn's system where all analog signals are converted to digital at the input. All signals needing it are resampled to 24/192 and then fed to either an Exakt crossover box or the Exakt crossover/amp packs built in the speakers on the newer models (K350 Exakt, Akubarik Exakt, Akudorik Exakt, 530 and 520). In the Exakt crossover all signal manipulation takes place in the digital domain. This includes resampling to higher bit rates and sampling frequency (varies with model), volume control, driver crossovers including tuning for the specific drivers in the speaker, room correction, etc. Then the signal is converted to analog just before being sent to the power amps. Not my cup of tea either.

If they were using a Urika 2 and a DSM with Ethernet to the speakers then they were definitely using Exakt.

I would agree with Tony and expect you will find an even bigger improvement at home.
The LP12 Whisperer
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks for the clarifying Tom. However, I must, once again, make a correction. It was also not the Komris, but the Klimax 350 played at the demo. Mea culpa for my ignorance.

I remember reading exactly this sample rate on the preamp display. Surprisingly, in my opinion, nothing fit musically. Especially since I know what the Kandid can do.
Trust your ears
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

It‘s not really surprising, I’ve never heard the 350’s sound good…
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks Tendaberry, that reassures me. So my ears are not set to anti Linn.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

The first impression of the Linn Ekstatik in my system. Immediately with the first record it is clear, the system starts higher than the Kandid ends in the best manner.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

A brief impression after about 20 records.

Immediately after the LP12 was set up, Malia heard and immediately the direction was clear. Even when new, the Ekstatik shows the Kandid how a musical presentation can be improved.

New pickups tend to play less balanced initially. Snare drums, for example, playing to the fore and treble is sometimes too "loud". But the urge to listen louder did not break off. And that is amazing from my point of view. Despite this initial 'flaw', the treble was reproduced with a transparency I had never heard from a new pickup. My wife said, `you're immediately into the music and can't get out, no matter what you're doing!` And it was like that all evening.

And then the discovery of new musical lines. Sometimes far in the background, sometimes obvious, where before the connections were unclear. Compliments to Linn. With that, the cognitive dissonance was satisfied 😉

After about 5 records, the new Can Live in Stuttgart was on. Very nice to hear how the system became quieter with each record. It no longer played much to the fore, the presentation became more and more balanced. This live session is really fun to listen to. A feeling of being there arises and can not be described otherwise. It will surely be played often in the course of the next days.

After about 10 records then Blind Face, reissue of Abby Road (which I prefer to all others). Ginger Baker is the(!) drummer for me anyway. Then they came, the bass drums. What a musical treat to hear and follow the swirls in all their speed and harshness. Musical madness... The 2nd side played four times at maximum volume.

There would be other records to mention, but in each case the picture is the same. The reproduction is more transparent, more open and more rhythmic. But also the urge from loud to very loud cannot be suppressed.
Trust your ears
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

That sounds great, Hermann! I cannot afford the Ekstatik myself, but fortunately I can hear it at a friend's :-)
And what the K-Radikal/2 has done for my system is not short of remarkable.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tendaberry wrote: 2022-02-02 13:47 That sounds great, Hermann! I cannot afford the Ekstatik myself, but fortunately I can hear it at a friend's :-)
And what the K-Radikal/2 has done for my system is not short of remarkable.
Good morning,

The Kandid cartridge still sounds good for sure Tendaberry, and even better with the new Klimax Radikal 2 upgrade. Needless to say, it's certainly remarkable as well. I wasn't expecting such a significant improvement with the upgrade, but it turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

I'm glad you're liking the Ekstatik cartridge Hermann, it's an amazing cartridge for sure! It's the best Linn cartridge I ever heard, and they did a great job with this moving coil.

Cheers
Last edited by Tony Tune-age on 2022-02-02 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks guys for your comments.

Jack DeJonette - Picture is playing right now and I'm listening to some new music! He is also one of my favourite drummers. And with every minute my excitement increases to hear more records by him.
Trust your ears
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Congratulations, Hermann! Your descriptions sound very familiar to me. The new parts definitely raise the bar of the musical perfromance. Have fun!
The LP12 Whisperer
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thx Tom and the journey is just beginning...

After another 8 or so records, the Ekstatik shows an increase in musicality that I was missing some days before. Thought the LP12 was the cause, but when Pentangle was on, it was wonderful to hear how the musicians played better together piece by piece. I had not noticed this directness of a change before when playing a new cartridge. The Ekstatik amazes me more and more and I'm beginning to think Linn has made a very big splash.

Then Anne Dudley, whose music I often felt was not quite complete. At the end of a musical line I thought it should actually go on here and there, a "proper" conclusion or an understandable handover to the next line. However, this is emotionally based and therefore there is no congnitive reasoning. And suddenly I knew what was missing before. The Ekstatik (surely together with R/2) shows in all openness how these lines fit together. My wife looked at me and we laughed as both had the same thing in mind, we followed her swirling fingers over the piano keys as if they were real to see. Unbelievable!

After every 5th record Malia plays and every time the amazement is great what the system manages to tickle out of the groove again. Really amazing what amount of musical information was not perceived before.

Similar with Puddu Varano - Time to grow. A record that before was somehow musically slightly "annoying". And suddenly they play skillfully and intoxicatingly, that nothing else remained but to dive in.

Later, when we talked about the merits of Isobarik, about their often described discoloration of the mids, my wife said, "Now the old lady shows what's really in her."

And the evening got long...
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I'm glad your new upgrades are sounding great Hermann, and they will continue to improve for awhile as well. It's interesting to hear about your Isobarik speakers, that's been my experience too. With every improvement of the turntable and frontend components, the speakers continue to improve also.

Enjoy...
Tony Tune-age
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks Tony.

Despite all the enthusiasm, I do see a small drop of melancholy. As I already described, it is incredibly difficult to hear quietly and move me permanently at the limit of the Tundra stereo. So it's time for the Tundra monos.

There's a lot to say about R/2 and Ekstatik and I think you know what I mean.

Today, for example, the thought of endless discussions came up to what extent a sound image can be perceived outside of loudspeakers. So far I only had this with the briks and at times the effect was lost and only partially found again with lots of trial and error. The Ekstatik just shows how it is placed really well in the room. Ahmad Jamal's Alhambra, for example, how percussion can be perceived outside the right box. And then some opinions that the LP12 had mutated towards hi-fi as a result of the upgrade or would sound more digital. My experience there is diametrically opposed.

And I want to address another point regarding the sensitivity of the LP12. Of course, the dealer installed the components and where it was necessary I set the torque wrench to the value and handed it over. He also balanced the tone arm using the traditional method. That was one of the things I cleaned up immediately and used the process Thomas described. The Ekstatik seems to be more sensitive to this change than the Kandid. The gain was clear.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2022-02-03 14:48 There's a lot to say about R/2 and Ekstatik and I think you know what I mean.

Today, for example, the thought of endless discussions came up to what extent a sound image can be perceived outside of loudspeakers. So far I only had this with the briks and at times the effect was lost and only partially found again with lots of trial and error. The Ekstatik just shows how it is placed really well in the room. Ahmad Jamal's Alhambra, for example, how percussion can be perceived outside the right box. And then some opinions that the LP12 had mutated towards hi-fi as a result of the upgrade or would sound more digital. My experience there is diametrically opposed.
I've heard some people say the LP12 morphed into more of a digital sounding Hi-Fi, but it's never sounded digital to my ears. Perhaps if the torque values are off to some degree, the LP12 might sound more digital. So needless to say, my experience is the opposite as well. And the Ekstatik is more revealing, plus better imaging than the Kandid cartridge.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age