Hermanns System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Hermanns System

Post by Defender »

when I heard Take Five on D I thought that must be the new Tundra 3‘s as I never heard that soo much at ease. And I thought that cant be bettered.

But C just topped it.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks all for your decision. It's very good to know that everyone is of the same opinion so far. And I do not have to admit that everyone is right.

It is very, very difficult to put into words impressions of the Tundra Mono 3 that are based on musical principles. Still a very emotional attempt.

First of all, I want to apologize for the length of the text. The reason for this is the new Tundra Mono 3. In fact, it could be twice the length.

Three packages were on my doorstep around noon last Wednesday. However, I had to solve my stupidity first, because the system was not working properly. It was quickly resolved with Fredrik's tip. So thanks to Fredrik for his incredible service and also to Marco at Hexagon Audio for allowing me to test the Tundra Monos.

Towards evening my stupidity was defeated and it was important for me to listen to the setup in a known configuration for a few hours. The devices were switched off for a while and this period turned out to be very valuable in hindsight. I found a simple solution to accommodate the additional device (a mono amplifier) without much effort.

After many playlists via Spotify, my wife came along, who had an appointment the day after and actually should have gone to bed. However, things turned out differently. List after list, chosen albums, track after track, when late she said I can't stop listening.

In between, I thought about plugging in the power plug of the Tundra Stereo (TS) the other way around, whereupon she immediately said, 'Do it back again, that doesn't sound' at my neck. She hears it, directly and clearly. The evening was long, very long and we often couldn't believe our ears with the enormous vehemence of the musical events. The Källa, yes the Källa, pure music machine!

Well before sunrise the next day, the Källa played and my urge to the Tundra Mono 3 increased. Both listening sessions together lasted about 12 hours and that was enough for me, the urge to the Tundra Mono 3 (TM3) could no longer be tamed.
Around 8 a.m. the conversion, switching on - first thought - ok you know that and where is...? Malia Convergence, Spotify, empty head for 20 seconds. Unbelievable! The decision was made.

Pure emotional tension, the TM3 had hardly increased, the highs smoothed out; Loudness of the mids gone, bass clearer than yesterday. Excited, I forgot to have breakfast, choosing album after album. Listening to completely new music is described too simply, an emotional firework of musical performance is better, but by no means sufficient.

Around 11 a.m. Vinyl, Malia again. I'm not exaggerating, but that was an emotional shock! If I thought here and there that my LP12 might not be adjusted good enough, the monos gave the lie to this thought. A musicality that I've never heard from a Linn, an emotional entrainment that I believe is only possible live.

The difference LP12 with TS to the current setup is huge and no direct comparison needs to be made when listening to the setup with Tundra Mono 3. I still don't know how to adequately put this first impression into words. A musical arrival, rousing, complete immersion in music of all stripes. Without further words.

Actually. But when the state of absolute harmony of musical events, when there is not the slightest doubt about the emotional devotion of the protagonists, or when both listeners can hear the fading away of inner tensions between the pieces of music, no effort is required to follow lines, individual instruments or the effect of the overall picture record, my goal has been achieved. The Tundra Monos 3 are not only a masterpiece, in my opinion they are not simply superior to the components I use from Fredrik. These monos show what is possible with the entire upstream chain. Brilliant!

A wonderful feeling to dedicate yourself exclusively to musical things.

Gary Burton, Take Another Look and the Vibraphone. For a long time I thought, despite the excellent pressing of the entire vinyl, that the very slight distortions in the higher middle were in the recording. However, the monos show clearly and simply how these sounds are properly reproduced. Played through the whole box, like many others, because it wasn't possible to escape the musical tension. Whether Cologne concert or Can Live in Brighton 1975, really shudderingly beautiful. Sitting two meters centered in front of the speakers, I felt like I was in the 70's listening to Can Live and sitting just as close in front of the group. A real session!

Charly Parker's saxophones, I wish every music lover could experience this wealth of timbres, experience the emotional connection to the listener and physically experience every note. He plays his way into the soul almost intimately, touches and inspires.

Neither style of music, nor bad recordings or genres that are actually less heard, you feel pure energy. Frank Sinatra, what a voice, Elvis (only one record), what intimate emotions, Blues News from 1968, a compilation and horrible recording and yet my wife said the rhythm goes well. It's so relaxing to simply block out disturbing impressions of productions and follow musical lines.

My wife continued: "This calmness in the dynamics is unbelievable". My wife! She said it while the Sagatuns showed yellow cards. It's surprisingly easy to have a discussion at maximum volume, even though she was listening a good six feet from me. During my time in music studios (as a photographer in the 80's) I had understood what it meant to work at full volume for eight or nine hours without feeling the slightest bit of stress. Became an important criterion in my decisions and now a new experience in my own home, this impression was missing with the three best systems I have already mentioned. Notes emerge from nothing, focus on the moment, details or the big picture. No questions remain unanswered.

And the Tundra Stereo? How are they classified?

We often talked about the TS, to what extent it must or should be replaced. Were each of the same opinion, the complex offers everything we and primarily I wished for. Even if certain emotional regions sometimes complained about the need for discussion. Nevertheless, the goal of achieving the musical quality of the previous loft was achieved, and in some respects even surpassed.

The Tundra Stereo connects musical contexts easily and loosely, builds tension, carries you away. It is the depth of calm, in which there is a charged dynamic (my wife's suddenly musing words, certainly modified from Konfucius' quote 'In calm lies strength') that she ascribes to the TM 3. Of which the TS shows more than a hint, but not reached in complete perfection. In fairness, things like transparency, presentation, and balance have to be mentioned. With every piece of music I am amazed at what vinyl stores. The TM 3 offer transparency in perfection, do not require any concentration to get involved.

Voices and grand pianos are my preferred instruments to experience the naturalness of a reproduction. Anne Dudley LP shows this more clearly and understandably than ever before. A real grand piano plays, every hardness, whether it's a blow on the case, soft strokes or glass on the strings, the monos rock solidly represent every sequence of complex compositions effortlessly openly, transparent and as a complete work of art.

I was perfectly happy with the TS for two years, they kicked out the ECS Monos after an hour which in turn kicked out the Naim NAP 500. Comparisons to other manufacturers have become irrelevant and I'm sure few, if any, reach that level of Tundra Mono 3. If you are not aware of these differences, the Tundra Stereo is the measure of all things (I have never heard the TM 2.2). I have something like an acoustic memory that stores significant musical experiences with feelings and can be retrieved when needed. So I can say with certainty, my biggest and most musical update ever.

The Tundra Mono 3 changes everything. It's not a simple upgrade or new component that can create cognitive dissonance a few weeks later. I see the TM3 as the natural evolution of a brilliant developer who uses technology and offers musically high-quality reproductions on fair terms. Here, however, he has succeeded in creating a piece of emotion that, in my opinion, deserves a completely different classification than usual. I am writing here about one amplifier, better two, the Tundra Mono 3. My experience also confirms the logic behind "Source first" and has followed it with certain deviations since it was postulated. The Tundra Mono 3 however is the first product to break the rule, the gain is greater than any change in my setup has ever produced, the presentation is far too engaging to write of a mere jump in the right direction. Even at the risk of repeating myself, the whole work is perfect.

In 50 years (yes, yes, I'll be celebrating my 70th birthday at the end of the year) I could hear quite a few components, systems, setups, etc. Systems that cost millions, many well-known manufacturers, prototypes of loudspeakers or amplifiers, often in-house and not a change in any system caused states like the Tundra Mono 3 is able to produce. Like no experience ever had. More tempting the inner calls for music, questions and thoughts during listening sessions are silenced. Do i want more? No.

And the bricks? Forty year old construction and cannon design? Have completely disappeared, stand there without directly perceiving them acoustically, evade any attention. Music stands for itself. Music everywhere in the room. The level of musical maturity is beguiling, sovereignty even in the deepest calm and dimensions in which real sizes of instruments respond to each other, wrestle with each other or reproduce harmonies in unison. It's amazing how even recordings that were previously stuck to the speaker take over the space around the speakers.

I pushed the left speaker back two millimeters and my wife immediately said, "That's better." After the others, we grinned again. The whole performance seems freer. The briks are still on carts to move them and are not placed on the mana racks. Likewise, the power cabling is not optimized. So there is more scope.

The clear understanding of the quietest notes, played at full volume with a striking presence, surprises me again and again. The term – massive – came to mind. Neither a - maybe -, nor a - could there be something? - appears, the presentation has an integrative effortlessness that immediately extinguishes every thought and directs emotions to what is happening.

Congratulations Fredrik, a stroke of genius in every musical sense! Relaxed and light, calm interwoven with tension, pure dynamism, to mention other statements made by my wife. She quickly took position during the first Källa test and favored it. She was right. We didn't discuss it here. She came home Thursday night the Tundra Mono 3 were playing and was quiet! Shook his head, looked at me with a smile and literally said: "The best decision you've ever made".

A new dimension of intoxicating musicality!

Thank you Fredrik
Trust your ears
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Lovely read, Hermann
You got me excited with the clips and the write down

What speakers are in this set up?
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Blimey Hermann, shame you're not working for a hifi magazine. Thanks for such a thorough review. I'm sure Fredrik be delighted to read that along with anyone whos ordered TM3s.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Thank you Hermann for your thorough and involving write-up. Also thank you for your patience to wait for TM3.

From these first clips and descriptions it seems evident Fredrik has archieved yet another level of musicality with his new reference power amplifiers.

I think the people who are able to attend the US Axpona show next week are in for something special.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

“The best decision you’ve ever made” - That’s a great ending to a great write up, Hermann!

Going by your recordings, Fredrik has excelled himself, even by his own extraordinarily high standards.

Well done, yet again, Fredrik!
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Extraordinary is the right term for the Tundra Monos 3.

@Sopper, are the Isobarik of the last generation.

@Charlie, would be a challenge, but I prefer to enjoy my retirement.

@Marco, no need to apologise. I had a super stereo amplifier at that time. I'm sure Fredrik and Tom will build an adequate setup and Tom will be thrilled.

@Spannko, thanks for the flowers. It was worth turning the brain back on after many listening sessions. If I hadn't painfully given up music yesterday morning, I'm probably still putting off the promise of a description.

Perhaps some more thoughts and information. After 18-20 hours I thought that was it, improvements are through. But far from it. After 24 hours, the bass continues to turn up, I hear a maybe 2s long tone as vibrato! I can no longer speak of faulty tonal balance. Although it has been clear since yesterday that another bass trapp will improve the acoustics in the lower range.

Even on the 5th day any interruptions are disturbing. Fortunately it is Easter, no phone calls, no emails, etc.

Yes, and loud is the new quiet with us. The amplifiers only play when yellow and sometimes they flash the ronten card. I can forget about my most important playlist on Spotfiy. No matter where the Spotify algorithm goes at the end of a playlist, I could assign almost all of them to that playlist.

A friendly reader wrote this is magic. it is indeed, especially the LP12! In the meantime, I cell Vinly, in the sense of an addictive musical anticipation. And my wife now knows how to use the iPad.
Trust your ears
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Being late to the party TM3 appears to me like a great source upgrade, the extra level of musical understanding is like opening a new dimension.

Congrats to Fredrik and Hermann, this was really a great write-up, enjoy!
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hermann wrote: 2023-04-09 11:56 Yes, and loud is the new quiet with us. The amplifiers only play when yellow and sometimes they flash the ronten card.
Hermann,
as I read this, maybe you have the chance to connect Källa directly without preamp to the TM3?
As Fredrik mentioned certainly worth a try.......
Matt

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks matthias. I had read this regarding Källa and amplifier. It might be an option in the future. Currently I see no reason to change anything.

I had today reversed the order of the power cables for the monos. Was like the Sagatuns first the right channel, then the left in the row of the power strip. Never thought that such a big difference exists and immediately back to the old setup.

Interesting perhaps the supply of the repeater and switches, which were connected to a normal power strip. I have replaced the favorable from Naim and was already surprised that an effect can be heard.
Trust your ears
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Hermann wrote: 2023-04-09 09:00 .. [my wife] came home Thursday night the Tundra Mono 3 were playing and was quiet! Shook his head, looked at me with a smile and literally said: "The best decision you've ever made".
Better even than your decision to get married?!? Wow, high praise indeed for the TM3s ;)
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

matthias wrote: 2023-04-09 13:36
Hermann wrote: 2023-04-09 11:56 Yes, and loud is the new quiet with us. The amplifiers only play when yellow and sometimes they flash the ronten card.
Hermann,
as I read this, maybe you have the chance to connect Källa directly without preamp to the TM3?
As Fredrik mentioned certainly worth a try.......
Why would you wish to have no control over volume?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

anthony wrote: 2023-04-10 04:59 Why would you wish to have no control over volume?
Most certainly not as a permanent installation, but as Fredrik and Hermann reported listening at volume levels where the preamp doesn't do attenuation it makes sense to evaluate if Källa directly into TM3 is musically superior or worse than with preamp.
Matt

anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

matthias wrote: 2023-04-10 08:10
anthony wrote: 2023-04-10 04:59 Why would you wish to have no control over volume?
Most certainly not as a permanent installation, but as Fredrik and Hermann reported listening at volume levels where the preamp doesn't do attenuation it makes sense to evaluate if Källa directly into TM3 is musically superior or worse than with preamp.
The problem being if it is better it’s not an ideal solution!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

anthony wrote: 2023-04-10 08:57 The problem being if it is better it’s not an ideal solution!
You are right, however it might be an interesting data point for Fredrik's upcoming preamp designs.
Matt

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I would rather see a Sagatun Monos vs Superkikkin comparison. Could be interesting. Källa directly in Tundra would at most be worth a test, no more, because I do not want to do without the then missing volume control.

On the other hand, the last upgrade for the Sagatun Monos is from October 2017, maybe a transfer of the knowledge from the Tundra Mono version 3 development to an upcoming upgarde of the SMs is possible.

By the way, on the sixth day of Tundra Mono 3 something like a slight normality appears for the first time. View on the "other life" so to speak...
Trust your ears
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hermann wrote: 2023-04-10 09:52 I would rather see a Sagatun Monos vs Superkikkin comparison.
Agree,
interesting that Fredrik's set-up at the TM3 launch party was with Superkikkin.
Matt

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-03-06 13:25
Sopper wrote: 2023-03-06 10:22 Interesting :)
I reckon there is no battle needed between superkikkin en the mono Sagatun, right?
I will need to compare them again. Last time I did was before the final improvements of Superkikkin.

I strongly suspect, though, that Sagatun Mono will remain on top.
The comparison could be interessing because of the last statement.
Trust your ears
barrie

Post by barrie »

Hi,
what cartridge are you using on the LP12 and are you using an Entity with this?

Best regards,

Barrie.
Barrie
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Hi Barrie,

I use a Klimax LP12 with Ekstatik as well as Entity 1.2, but the music samples were recorded with Källa.
Trust your ears
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I am very late to the party what with going to Scotland, coming down with Covid-19 from the trip and then heading out to Axpona after having (mostly) recovered. I haven't read the extensive review yet but I will. I started out with the Take Five clips, a track that is very familiar to me and tried D first. It sounded quite good. Then I switched to C and as soon as the first cymbal hits started I laughed out loud. The TM3 is just so much better it is ridiculous. I have listened to the other clips and C certainly completely outshines D. I still laugh every time I do the Take Five comparison. Quite the difference.

We did not do any comparisons at the show and I didn't even have time to open and hook the TM3s up before the show. But we were making a very good sound. Fredrik and I both noticed that the room really started grooving on Saturday. I don't know how much was the TM3s burning in and how much was the speakers settling down (their spikes weren't pointy enough to pierce the industrial carpet), but everything had improved quite a bit. We received lots of positive comments. One person who posted on the Linn forum said that it sounded like Frank Sinatra was sitting on the SINGularities, that the system was just fabulous. We also had a number of repeat visitors who would come back just to sit and listen to good music more after going through the other rooms. So the TM3s were definitely singing there, along with the rest of the fine gear.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Wonderful writeup Hermann! This is not the first time Fredrik has made a musical improvement that would normally be associated with a source upgrade, and I doubt it will be the last. Now I just have to get my system back together. It is currently in boxes and upside down racks scattered around the living room. Just need to find the time and energy (that last part is less easy while I'm still recovering). But I'll get it back together soon.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you Thomas
I hope you recover quickly and wish you a lot of strength during your recovery.

I'm sure there will be many more positive reports about the Tundra Monos 3.

There is always a certain risk involved in getting a system to sing overnight in an unfamiliar room, but if not Fredrik and you, then who? I am pleased that you have succeeded in building a system that generates attention. With my daughter it has a lasting effect on mine.

After a very long time, I was at a purely analogue trade fair last Sunday. Just thought to find out to what extent the development of the past few years had been crowned with success and failed. Only one system sang a little, but really only a little. Everything else seemed to me as if the devices had been mothballed for many many years and taken out for the trade fair. Somehow the sad moments were to have to listen to well-known pieces of music like that. My wife was at times really annoyed by the bad presentations. Only the two record purchases were positive, ECMs from the early 80s.

Interestingly, we don't get used to it, the TM3 always puts a smile on our faces. But you mention the Singularity. If only they were within reach, although it's hard to imagine that it could get any better. But that wasn't it before the Tundra Monos 3 either.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Brief information on the side. In another thread, the influence of the photovoltaic system was discussed to what extent it affects the sound. A module (300W) has been feeding into the power grid for a few days. During the day, the basic load is taken over by the module. The System is independent of the electricity supplier during this time. The electronic counter shows the current consumption and is zero during 6.5 hours of sunshine. I didn't notice any sound influence.
Trust your ears
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hermann wrote: 2023-06-12 10:34 The electronic counter shows the current consumption and is zero during 6.5 hours of sunshinei. I didn't notice any sound influence.
That is excellent news Hermann!