Hermanns System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Hermanns System

Post by Tendaberry »

They "sound" very different, but I find it easier to get into A3 and C3.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I understand very well and had the same impression with A2 Källa and cable were cold, straight from the box.

I had the system playing with Tundra Stereo off overnight and the musical presentation changed this morning. It plays, how shall I say, smoother, easier to follow, quietest notes are more present, it merges into the whole. The difference Linn Black and Silver becomes clear.

I repeat the recordings in a few days.

Edit: Writing error corrected
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Having previously favoured Blacks at home, I was expecting to prefer 3 but found it out of tune on all 3 clips and preferred 2. However, I carried on listening for longer and 2 became a bit annoying whereas 3 did not.

Not sure what impact the different recording level will have had - hopefully 'source first' is pushing through that.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Charlie1 wrote: 2023-02-17 10:38 Having previously favoured Blacks at home, I was expecting to prefer 3 but found it out of tune on all 3 clips and preferred 2. However, I carried on listening for longer and 2 became a bit annoying whereas 3 did not.

Not sure what impact the different recording level will have had - hopefully 'source first' is pushing through that.
I find cables to be more of an anything goes when Digital is the source Charlie. ...Or in other words what is better for Digital may not necessarily be the more tuneful cable for Analog. There is a reason that the CD12 first came boxed with Silvers in 1997.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hermann wrote: 2023-02-15 11:36 A quick comparison new Källa cold (Linn Silver) vs "old" Källa warm (Linn Black).
Volume differences between the old and new recordings are of course present.

Kari Bremnes

A2 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sbax9N ... sp=sharing

A3 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fFtbUK ... sp=sharing

Mesta

B2 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LsojeJ ... sp=sharing

B3 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BYG5Yy ... sp=sharing

Take Five

C2 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eq-daF ... sp=sharing

C3 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eZ6P1C ... sp=sharing
Tried to listen now but my phone says “This file can not be played”. On all of them. :(

Will try on the computer later.

UPDATE: Computer worked just fine.

I prefer A2 over A3. Seems the essence of the song is conveyed better in A2 while A3 is more detail oriented?

I prefer C3 over C2. The essence of the song is intact in C2, but it's a bit simplified/compressed? C3 feels more like a real performance.

Made single 20 sec judgements. Didn't listen to B.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tpetsch wrote: 2023-02-17 20:16 I find cables to be more of an anything goes when Digital is the source Charlie. ...Or in other words what is better for Digital may not necessarily be the more tuneful cable for Analog. There is a reason that the CD12 first came boxed with Silvers in 1997.
Don't want to sidetrack Hermann's thread but yeah, I think digitally recorded music is more dependant on tunefulness than analogue.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks for your feedback.

Even a cold Källa plays better with Linn Silver than the tuned one with Linn Black. That was my spontaneous impression after the new setup was finished. The music of tracks "3" are of course recorded with the new, cold Källa. By now the difference should be more obvious.

But after long family time, little health, a lot of music, laziness and other projects all three bass traps are finally installed. The influence on the position of the briks should be noted, because I'm currently playing around with it again and have found a good position. No longer directly on the wall, but 16.4cm away from it. The gap between them is scrubbed to 1.84m. As for the bass traps, they consist of two constructions stacked on top of each other, which interlock via wood connectors.

The effect is striking, even if the tonal balance is not yet quite what I want. But I've found a solution for that too, and I'm hopeful that it will work just as well as the three bass traps.

I have mounted three pictures together. The first one is seen from the seating position far to the right outside, the middle almost directly behind the position (about 2.5m away) and the 3rd one of course left. The first one in the picture is 2,8m high, the middle one is 3.3m and the last one is about 2.8m.
Last edited by Hermann on 2023-04-09 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-02-17 20:38
I prefer A2 over A3. Seems the essence of the song is conveyed better in A2 while A3 is more detail oriented?

I prefer C3 over C2. The essence of the song is intact in C2, but it's a bit simplified/compressed? C3 feels more like a real performance.

Made single 20 sec judgements. Didn't listen to B.
Forgot to answer. The recordings were all made with the Zoom H4N in CD quality. There has been no alteration or manipulation of the audio stream. The volume could be different, as it was recorded at different times.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Shock this morning. Start music, but the left channel is missing. Swapped the input cables to the Tundra Stereo, signal remains with the right channel. Swapped speaker cables, signal now at left speaker. The Tundra obviously has a problem. Or does anyone have another idea?
Trust your ears
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Oh no! Sorry to hear that.

It’s odd that one channel is still working and the other isn’t. If the output transistors should blow on one channel (which can happen if for instance the output is short circuited), usually both channels go quiet.

Luckily the Tundra Mono 3’s are not far away.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Yes, this is strange. It looks like the problem occurred when the amplifier was turned on. Could it be related to this?

Music loss is currently justifiable, since I'm not home until Monday afternoon.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

The problem described above is solved and I hardly dare to name it. Even built-in errors are harder to find. Thanks to Fredrik's excelent service plays it again.

Kindly I can test the new Mono 3. Also for this my special thanks to Marco and Fredrik. Some patience will be necessary, because a small modification is needed. The Tundra stereo has to to exchange for a mono amplifier. In addition, there are more options to arrange the order of the individual devices in the existing power strips.

Nevertheless, music tracks matching the above linked for the Tundra stereo and re-recorded with the mono 3 will be posted soon.

The system was now some time not in use and continues to warm up. Therefore, tomorrow will be a musical maraton. Friday setup switch, warm up and enjoying.
20230405_123622xx.jpg
20230405_123534xx.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

20230405_123834xx.jpg
20230405_123913xx.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trust your ears
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Hermann - you are a very lucky man to get your hands on those!
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Indeed macrotech2, indeed.

Now, after ten hours of Tundra Mono 3, I would like to share my decision. I will describe the reasons in detail on Saturday, when examples will also be posted.

The Tundra Mono 3 will stay, the Tundra Stereo is packed in.

Just one thing, it is incredibly difficult to switch off after listening, no matter what needs to be done, musik remains present in the mind and emotions. Although impressions are documented, but it is difficult to put them into context this evening.
Trust your ears
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

you sound indeed very happy that the waiting time payed off for you - I am happy with you.

congratulations to Fredrik - seems another outstanding product got even better.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Hermann wrote: 2023-04-06 18:23 Indeed macrotech2, indeed.

Now, after ten hours of Tundra Mono 3, I would like to share my decision...

Most likely it's the first time hearing Tundra Mono 3, but is this your first time hearing any version of Tundra Monos in your system, or had you heard Tundra Mono 2s in the past, against Tundra Stereo or other amp(s)?
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Defender wrote: 2023-04-06 21:41 you sound indeed very happy that the waiting time payed off for you - I am happy with you.

congratulations to Fredrik - seems another outstanding product got even better.
In fact, it is so Defefender. My search ends here.
tokenbrit wrote: 2023-04-06 23:16
Hermann wrote: 2023-04-06 18:23 Indeed macrotech2, indeed.

Now, after ten hours of Tundra Mono 3, I would like to share my decision...

Most likely it's the first time hearing Tundra Mono 3, but is this your first time hearing any version of Tundra Monos in your system, or had you heard Tundra Mono 2s in the past, against Tundra Stereo or other amp(s)?
The Tundra Mono 3 are of course new and and come directly from Fredrik. I have never heard Tundra Mono 2.2. Comparisons with other amplifiers I'll describe in my Conclusion regarding the TM3.

In a moment I will start the three recordings and will not post my impressions immediately as previously thought. First the examples...
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Tundra Mono 3

Post by Hermann »

Last edited by Hermann on 2023-04-08 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
Trust your ears
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

OMG!
Even through these recorded clips the difference is huge. D is good while C is pure magic!
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

I pray that the difference with the Tundra 2 mono is smaller
The difference in these clips is huge…

Listening on my iPad Pro with Sony WH1000XM5 noise cancelling headphones
D is good, C > me and my girlfriend can’t stop listening, it’s overwhelming, the music absorbed us 🥹
Last edited by Sopper on 2023-04-08 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

If C is not Tundra 3 i'll be crazy, because that is seriously on another level....
Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 40th-SuperKikkin-Kalla-Tundra 2.5
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

That’s a cracking system you’ve got there Herman! Like everyone else, I’m loving the first set! Are you still playing into original Isobarik’s?
Last edited by Spannko on 2023-04-08 22:36, edited 2 times in total.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Wow! Just wow!
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Like everyone else has said, C is much better.

I'm sure you're enjoying your new purchase Herman!