Hermanns System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Hermanns System

Post by Tony Tune-age »

That's a good song, and I really like clip B the best. Her voice is way more natural and realistic sounding, as are the musical instruments.
Tony Tune-age
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Another vote for B (or "X") here.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you to all posters. I was a little confused at first because I had the file name in a different way in my head and thought the x version was the old recording. But a look into folders shows that I was wrong.

Well, the Ekstatik keeps getting better. About 75 hours of playtime have now passed.

But I also introduced another change. The Linn Silver cable between the Sagatuns and the Tundra Stereo has now been swapped for a Linn Black, which happened to fall into my hands. A significant step for me. It's not lacking in musicality, but it no longer emphasizes the highs like the silver. Between Entity 1.1 and Sagatuns the Linn Black is playing worse. There the Linn silver are reinstalled. In a few days I'll change the Black between Sagatuns and Tundra again for the Silver. Might be worth to post for comparison.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

How can I describe a feeling that animates me to dance to Dave Brubeck's Take Five? I! Dance! Very funny...

Once again the new upgrade shows what it's made of. Unfortunately I don't get to listen to vinyl often enough. Currently about 80 hours have passed with the Ekstatik and KR/2 and I am waiting for further improvements. A few days earlier I had a long jazz session, ECM, Gabarek, Dejonett, Eberhard Weber and many more. Jazz that suddenly sounds melodic! Not to mention Art Ensemble of Chicago, such as Urban Bushman. We, my wife and I, had an unprecedented listening session with lots of dancing and movement. The music pulls us off the sofa.

Even if this impression could now cause various controversies, I believe that the Sagatun Monos need time to break in and be understood. I've never had a deeper look into music like I do now, never with any kind of preamp, amp or anything else. The decision to buy both is the best I've ever made. Although I believe that the Sagatun Monos show the special flair of the music. Regardless of the source, the NDS also plays at a really high level I've never heard with the Naim 552. And this source has not changed for a long time.

And it seems an update for the Entity is in the air, which I am of course waiting for just as much as I am waiting for the Tundra Monos.

In the meantime I had listened to some examples of briks, Keilidh and Tukan in Charlie's thread. I then decided to buy some really well-preserved Tukan, which will arrive in the course of the week. I thought to set up the Keilidh and run it with my 72/140 combo. I still believe that this creates a good musical connection and post some examples (first Video...) recorded right after setup, i.e. cold, with a cell phone. Spotify via Lenovo W520 and a really bad connection to preamp.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h487to1t233w7 ... 6.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7srmshmousem ... 5.mp4?dl=0
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Cool! I'll have a proper listen later with headphones - my work laptop is a bit crap with music.

I don't think you used dropbox before (maybe wrong and getting mixed up with another member) so good to be able to listen to your clips now.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

That's right, I thought Dropbox had to be paid for. Basic membership is free. Seems DB is more suitable than Google drive for posting videos,
Trust your ears
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Very nice sounding clips! Welcome to the club. Dropbox does definitely seem to be the way to go.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Very nice! I like the second track more, perhaps the digital front end letting down the first clip. Can't help thinking the more neutral and transparent Nait / Nait 2 would work better with that digital source. Mind you you wouldn't get as much bass.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you both.

Speaking of Dropbox. In a direct comparison of the JBL 308 via the monitor controller and Dropbox, I notice a reduction in quality, especially in the bass on the DB side.

If you consider that everything is temporary, I think it plays very well. The connection from the headphone amplifier of the Lenovo is realized with a jack to RCA adapter.

The somewhat inflated bass is certainly due to the cold devices and would certainly be reduced over longer periods of play. I've been looking for a NAIT1 for a while, but they're really, really rare. In this respect I am satisfied with the old 72 and 140. Let's see how the Tukans show up.
Trust your ears
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

There is no question in my experience that dropbox does remove some of the musical quality from the clips. Fredrik and I have both found that clips sent directly to each other on Telegram are more informative than those posted on dropbox. This has lead to occasional problems with clips that are fairly close in perfromance. But dropbox so far seems to be the best place to use for clips that can be accessed from a forum.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I expect again a Källa today. My thanks to Marco's excellent service. I hope there are Linn Silvers, otherwise I have to use the Black.

There will be another comparison next days. However, I'm waiting for an Ipad mini6 (hopefully Tuesday next week) and to top it off I have to go to the hospital again for a few days for follow-up.

Another bass trap (pictures to follow) will be built over the next week to create the best acoustics for my room.

I'm really looking forward to the 2nd test. As I wrote elsewhere, my focus may have been a bit off on the first test. I definitely want to correct that.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Small update

After massive problems with the Fritzbox 7590 and the repeaters from AVM, Källa plays music today.

The Fritzbox had recently received a new software release (7.50). During my first test was it 7.29. With the new software appeared a problem, which was solved in 7.29, dropouts in the stream with the NDS. AVM recommended to change both repeaters (AVM 3000) from V7.29 to a beta. However, I could not check the new SW in this regard for various reasons.

When I connected Källa, the new SW did not assign an IP4, but only an IP6 address. I reported the problem to AVM. Since AVM provides the possibility to downgrade from the beta to the regular software, I used this possibility, which turned out to be a fatal mistake. Because afterwards the repeaters did not log on to the router anymore. My streaming was dead. With hardly describable effort and phone support on the part of AVM it runs again since today. The repeaters are back to V7.29 and Källa gets a fixed IP4 address. The Ipad mini 6 recognizes it and Spotify runs. Although I can access the webinterface of Källa, but get a white page. Also, Källa is currently connected directly through the repeater's LAN jack. I have yet to figure out why it doesn't work with a switch. I think it is because of the new SW of the Fritzbox, because NDS, as well as Källa appear twice in the overview.

An extensive test will hopefully take place on the weekend, but with Linn Black cables.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

After a long back and forth between AVM and me, the Källa is now integrated as recommended by Fredrik.

The new SW of the Fritzbox shows some quirks, which is pushed by AVM on the FW of the switches. Nevertheless I found a workaroud to set a dedicated IP4 address for the Källa outside the DHCP despite GS108.

There will be no more comparison between the streamers, as the NDS has been down and is offered on the used market.

With the better bass reproduction, the Källa shows its musical abilities much more clearly. It shows me things that the NDS did not reproduce. For me, this is the decision. Even if the tonal balance is not yet coherent enough, I am a bit more satisfied.

My dealer is letting me have passive Linn Akubarik for another test, which I'll pick up Wednesday.
Trust your ears
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Hermann wrote: 2023-01-23 14:22 My dealer is letting me have passive Linn Akubarik for another test, which I'll pick up Wednesday.
It'll be interesting to hear what you think about them, but do take your time to install them in the best position. Mine sound best with absolutely no toe-in and around 30 cm from the rear wall.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks Tendaberry. Experiences regarding positioning are of course very welcome. Am curious myself how the Akubarik sound in my room. Enough time anyway as the decision has to be made by 12/02.

So far the briks played on the long wall with known weakness in tonal balance. Since the briks are still on movable trolleys, yesterday pushed them to the short wall with 8m long Naim cables and played a little with positions. Unfortunately, it has brought no improvement.
Trust your ears
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I’m happy to hear your Källa is up and running, Hermann!

Sadly I don’t understand the Fritzbox/AVM problems, but I hope that they sound OK. A repeater that creates problems finding Källa behind a switch doesn’t sound promising to me. What are these AVM things and what made you decide to use them?

Can you now surf to Källa’s web interface?
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

In fact, the Källa reveals its musical merits with the right setup. I readily admit that my focus was slightly off during the first test.

The company AVM in Berlin has existed for about 20 years and is mainly known for the long support of its products. As far as I know, the OS is based on Linux and should be considered as a kind of proprietary system by now. In case of problems they react quickly and professionally, although they produce exclusively for the home sector.

A 2nd level support person from AVM contacted me by phone today and we discussed differences between the old FW 7.29 and the new 7.50 of the Fritzbox 7590. They cannot reproduce the problem due to lack of a streamer and I seem to be the only customer who reported this. With the old 7.29 the problem did not occur and my point is clear, the new FW is causing the problem.

The Källa with switch is not shown in the active mesh of the Fritzbox, but in the inactive network connections and with full access. I was able to assign an IP4 address outside the DHCP range. The access to the web interface is of course guaranteed.

In my opinion the AVM routers and repeaters are very good, easy to use and in most cases very stable. When I set up the NDS and reported constant interruptions in the audio stream, they responded quite quickly and satisfactorily.

Unfortunately, the recommended Ubiquiti devices are no longer available, or I would have set up another WLAN network. In fact, I have no idea of any other manufacturer's routers, etc. that offer the same support and/or deliver better audio results.
Trust your ears
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

All of that sounds comforting, Hermann.

I hope the AVM devices sound really good, because that level of support is close to invaluable. Whenever I find such a company, I stick to it.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Due to a lack of comparison, it's difficult to determine to what extent AVM delivers good audio quality. So far I am very satisfied, considering that the NDS was quite close to the LP12 in the past.

The Akubarik are installed and the first impression taken. Before I give a rating a question for Tendaberry. Are there torque settings for the speaker? I tightened the two base plates with 4Nm, as it says in the manual not to tighten too much. Are there perhaps values for these screws as well?
Trust your ears
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Hermann wrote: 2023-01-25 16:58 Are there torque settings for the speaker? I tightened the two base plates with 4Nm, as it says in the manual not to tighten too much. Are there perhaps values for these screws as well?
I'm sorry, but I don't have any torque values for the bases. I assume, you have torqued the Isobarik bass, mid and 3K drivers?
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Tweeter and midrange of the briks are optimized. Unfortunately, this is not possible with the bass because the mounting is sealed.

Surprised me after the first piece of music the musicality of the Akubarik, with which I did not expect after an earlier demo at the dealer, when I heard the Komri 350 Exact and was very disappointed. And here and there the Akubarik is even better than my Isobarik. In fact, this is the only achievement. While the bass is a bit deeper, it is also softer and, again to my amazement, booms a bit. Considering the bass problems in the room, this is remarkable.

The other side is the one I can't live with. The entire presentation is noticeably diminished and takes place mainly between the two speakers. It lacks, probably conceptually, height and also depth. It seems flat and cramped and different positions of the speakers don't change that. The ideal distances were 2.32m between them and 0.33m each from the wall.

I am sure in a smaller room, lower ceiling height and corresponding front end the Akubarik will play really well. However, the compromise is too big for my needs. To eliminate the bass problems by other means seems to be the cheaper solution.

I have attached three recordings, also think that the difference can be heard immediately.

Kari Bremnes

A1 https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... yJGFlYTL8X

A2 https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... MKA0k9JcK7

Mesta

B1 https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... Px8YlNDwvy

B2 https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... 1EpJqTyWj7

Take Five

C1 https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... SaUkzd9Sik

C2 https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?cod ... xcuLCBFFMV
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Firstly, they both sound good and I don't experience a fundamental musical difference between them - i.e. both are very enjoyable.

However, 2 is consistently more my type of speaker. I can relax and enjoy the music more easily. Also thought it offered a more open balance with 1 sounding a bit 'shut in' but that's a secondary observation.

I hope 2 is the Briks cos they remind me of what I like about the B110 but I've been wrong many times before.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2023-02-01 21:55, edited 2 times in total.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

2 all the way for me: I enjoyed each 2-clip more & listened longer almost without realising; in comparison, the 1-clips sounded polite & a bit boring musically.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Two for me as well,
btw, great music Hermann, I like Mesta (Pire from the same artists is also very nice...)
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Erik

Post by Erik »

One!
By far.