Sneaky leaves his digital comfort zone.

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

SneakySquirrel

Sneaky leaves his digital comfort zone.

Post by SneakySquirrel »

Hello there music lovers.
So it is time.

Next week i will get my first turntable, A Rega Planar 1.
Hopefully it wont stay long as the main turntable in my home.
But who knows, maybe i think it is boring and inconvenient flipping vinyls, but i doubt it though.

Pretty soon a Rega Planar 3 will find its way here.

My main setup is the following
Source/Amp - Majik DSM/1 - Majik 6100/1
Speakers - Majik 140 - Upgraded Stand with spikes/skeets
Cables - Linn interconnect Black and K400
Aktiv - Yes, and it sounds lovely. Linn <3

As of now i have another set of M 140 speakers and an old M 2100 amp along with a handful of cables and spikes/stand(alu)/skeets this i currently for sale, but i dont mind keeping it if so be it.

That could potentially be my experimental setup, which leads me to a question.
I am really interested in Lejonklou´s products.
Should i aim for a completely new build with Lejonklou or does it incorporate itself well into Linn electronics?
What would be the first/best uppgrade that Lejonklou can offer to a Planar 3 hooked up to my current main setup.
Who new music could sound this good?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Sneaky leaves his digital comfort zone.

Post by ThomasOK »

Interesting and good luck with dipping your toe into vinyl.

As to your questions:
I am really interested in Lejonklou´s products.
Should i aim for a completely new build with Lejonklou or does it incorporate itself well into Linn electronics?

Take your pick, Lejonklou electronics do integrate quite well with Linn (and other electronics too) as long as you follow the hierarchy. But they are even better when used in a full Lejonklou electronic setup.
What would be the first/best uppgrade that Lejonklou can offer to a Planar 3 hooked up to my current main setup.
Keeping in mind my last answer, a Gaio 2.4 or a Slipsik 7.1 would be the place to start. If you think you might eventually make your way to an LP12 you might want to start with the Slipsik 7.1 right off the bat to save a step. For that matter I do have customers using the Rega 3 with a Slipsik and they are quite happy.

Have fun.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Careful :) I stepped away from vinyl for a few years and thought I'd get back into it - a very good HiFi shop was at the end of my road. Inside a few months I upgraded from a Planar 3 to a 25 and then to the Planar 9 I have now, acquiring an Evans Microgroove with the Planar 9. Enjoy!
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

There's a Lejonklou Boazu on ebay just now that may be a good way to experiment without spending a huge amount of money. Haven't heard Boazu with M140, but it does a great job with passive Akubariks which may be a useful indicator, but no guarantee of course.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

FYI I use 3x Lejonklou Tundras on the back of AEDSM and Exaktbox6/1 into PMC Twenty.26,
Plus 3x Tundras for centre and rear channels, fed by the surround module in the AEDSM and an Exaktbox10/1.

They all work very happily together.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Welcome to the forum Sneaky Squirrel, hope you enjoy vinyl as much as me!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
DoomHammer

Post by DoomHammer »

Hi Sneaky!

Nice system, you have there. And a very fitting nickname, if I may say so.

Are you running your speakers Aktiv?
SneakySquirrel

Post by SneakySquirrel »

Thanks and yes, i do run the speakers aktiv :)

So, when i first got the rega Planar 1 i didnt think much of it, it was rather... lacking in performance. :P
But for the price of it - it performs well and i will recommend it to any LP-curious person out there.

But about 1 week into Vinyl i started looking for a P3 or maybe even a P6 because compared to the Majik DSM
streaming performance it just wasnt there. (Not a fair comparison either)

A good friend of mine told me to hold my horses and start collecting vinyls before upgrading the turntable.
"-Save it for 2 years then go for the LP12 and suddenly your music collection will be brand new again."
I accepted my faith as an inferior and got back on the remake of my livingroom.
Which turned out to be a great idea. (More of that in "me and my system")

Now the Planar 1 sounds really good. Ok, not fantastic but i can really enjoy music without constantly being reminded
that i have a 350 euro Turntable with a 10000 euro Linn setup

Anyway, i really enjoy vinyl so far :D
Maybe i will become a full LP Adikt after all. :P

Thanks for all the comments and feedback guys/gals.

Best regards // Sneaky
Cheers!
DoomHammer

Post by DoomHammer »

Rediscovering music is probably one of the best things happening with an upgrade!

Especially cool if you can share it with friends :)
SneakySquirrel

Post by SneakySquirrel »

Yes, rediscovering music with upgrades are fantastic :)

The overhaul of the livingroom included removing my old tv and its bench/cabinet.
Then install something alot more rigid. :3
Maybe not as good and eye pleasing like a full quadraspire rack but still i was baffled by both how nice it looked and the
difference in the musical sounds from the Planar 1, it really became alive and vivid.

So yes, i pretty much just said that i made better hifi furniture then IKEA...

The new custom made "rack" or battlecruiser which is a more fitting name, is constructed
with 28mm Acacia and Beechwood shelfes that are supported by 6 30mm thick solid steel rods that is resting
on Soundcare Superspikes.
I also fitted plain bearings* that "isolate" every shelf from the steel and perhaps reduce vibrations??
there will be scientific research done here later, maybe with a instrument that registres small vibrations, but mostly with the instrument in my ear.
*Material - Industrial vibration dampening Polymer M250*

When it was all done with new color on the walls and everything in place it felt so spacey and breathable compared to before the makeover.
The Linn system itself got another upgrade that was not really intended, but the room was filled with musical notes in almost every corner and it felt like the left and right speaker could finally work togheter as a team instead of the slightly chaothic duo they where before.
This new far more solid and less vibrating shelf for the Rega to sit upon really made it come to life aswell.
The need for a better turntable faded drastically... for now :)

I guess the point is, something most of us already know but sometimes neglect in favor of a more powerfull amp.
Furniture quality, form and placement that can improve your room acustics by alot and provide you with a cheap and well performing upgrade.

Best Regards // Sneaky
Cheers
SneakySquirrel

Post by SneakySquirrel »

Just had to remind myself about the importance of the hierarchy.

So i put a Linn Unidisk SC as Source (CD) and Preamp, then connected it to
my Yamaha RX-V590RDS with Black Linn Interconnects.
I spaced the to two with some snusdosor so there would be some air in between them.
Finally though, the music travels through rather thin cables to a pair of JVC SP-D452
which currently have the same market value as a bic-mac meal.

But still, the sound is pure and clear. I find it hard resisting my urge to dance
when these musical notes gently vibrates against my eardrum.

I will drop som pictures of this Abomination on my Imgur.
https://imgur.com/gallery/3cFMzja

Est Values of items in setup.
Unidisk - 600-800 Euro
Yamaha reciever -40-80 Euro
JVC D452 - 5-10 Euro

Best Regards Sneaky.
dasher

Post by dasher »

If you have a Unidisk SC then hook the main L/R outputs up to your Majik DSM and buy yourself this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barb-Jungr-E ... SwNcpfeJ1S

SACD still has its place in this world. Unfortunately this album is not available on Qobuz in any resolution and so comparisons are difficult. Comparisons aren't really needed though. The music just flows from this disc. At under 12 Euros this is a steal. (No, it's not mine)!
SneakySquirrel

Post by SneakySquirrel »

Haha, yeah. I really should do that :D
i have never heard a sacd before.

I really like the unidisc, i even prefere it over streaming on the dsm and now with this tiny rigg i put together as the new desktop setup. its just perfekt for this smal room when browsing forums etc.

But Today i would like some help with the placement of the wallmount to my Rega.
I am completely novice when it comes to what height or where to put it in relationship to the speakers etc.etc

There is no electricity or anything like that int the corner of the room.
Closest thing is the wall outlet which is 1 meter away from the corner.
I am 180 cm (5"11') if that helps with the height placement.
Speakers are Kabers rest of setup is a work in progress.
i currently have a M2100 amp and a Pro-Ject Phono box USB V.
In time i want to activate the system with a M4100 amp
Quadraspire Q4 rack with 4 shelves - ¨Top shelf at roughly 65cm
Test my first Lejonklou product. which would be a Slipsik 7 i guess. :)

Thx for advice and cheers! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dasher

Post by dasher »

Unless you really like drilling holes and then filling hole then I doubt that you will be 'Tune demming" the wall siting. Taking this as the case then I strongly recommend that you locate the shelf at a height that allows you to remove a record without having to bend your back!I am also 1.80m tall. I don't use a wall shell but a Stands -Unique Tower.The LP12 sits on Paul Surrounds super-tip - an Ikea Bamboo chopping board ! - and a S-U isolation shelf. The total height - to the plinth surface - is 1.02m. This is 20mm below my elbow! This height was not arrived at by accident! PersonallyI really I should also arrange shelving around the room at around 1.5m height which would be perfect for reading the spines- but there is a limit where domestic bliss and aesthetics start to take over! Seriously though - placing the platter at a comfortable working height (ie standing upright) should be a big consideration. Mt cable dressing technique from the LP12 is to allow a loose fall to the phono stage. Yes, it in visible but I find a freely hanging phono cable probably the most important part of the whole set up. If you are using an inboard PS then dressing the output to the pre amp is still very important - just maybe a little less sensitive. - Oops - just seen that you aren't

By the way, I also have the tape path across the heads of the B77 at exactly the same height as the upper surface of the plinth - simply for ergonomics.

Also - you're USC really makes SACD sing - the one in the earlier post is a very cheap way of finding out (but could open up a not so cheap journey)!
SneakySquirrel

Post by SneakySquirrel »

dasher wrote: 2020-12-05 21:34 Unless you really like drilling holes and then filling hole then I doubt that you will be 'Tune demming" the wall siting. Taking this as the case then I strongly recommend that you locate the shelf at a height that allows you to remove a record without having to bend your back!I am also 1.80m tall. I don't use a wall shell but a Stands -Unique Tower.The LP12 sits on Paul Surrounds super-tip - an Ikea Bamboo chopping board ! - and a S-U isolation shelf. The total height - to the plinth surface - is 1.02m. This is 20mm below my elbow! This height was not arrived at by accident! PersonallyI really I should also arrange shelving around the room at around 1.5m height which would be perfect for reading the spines- but there is a limit where domestic bliss and aesthetics start to take over! Seriously though - placing the platter at a comfortable working height (ie standing upright) should be a big consideration. Mt cable dressing technique from the LP12 is to allow a loose fall to the phono stage. Yes, it in visible but I find a freely hanging phono cable probably the most important part of the whole set up. If you are using an inboard PS then dressing the output to the pre amp is still very important - just maybe a little less sensitive. - Oops - just seen that you aren't

By the way, I also have the tape path across the heads of the B77 at exactly the same height as the upper surface of the plinth - simply for ergonomics.

Also - you're USC really makes SACD sing - the one in the earlier post is a very cheap way of finding out (but could open up a not so cheap journey)!
Thax alot for the answer. Yes i prefer my wall as a wall, not a target at the shotgun range.
I am not 100% sure on this but when i set up the rigg in the living room i just casually strolled across the room with a pice of cardboard in my hand, gently tapping my fingertips/nails on it in rythm with the music, at a certain spot this piece of cardbord starts going bzzzzzz agains my nails.... i was thinking that maybe i can move in the dsm here and make sure i dont put the LP in the bzzzz zone.

If this technique actually works, you have to play rather enthusiastically to get intensity required for a buzzing cardboard.
but still that is mostly just to get rid of bass reproduction...
This is not really a hifi room either its more of a sanctuary/workshop so peak performance is not required in this stage, good performance is desired though.

Well i guess i have some shopping to do... haha well the Kabers and LP Wallmount was a early christmas gift to myself.
I only wanted to get 8 skeets when visiting local hifi store this morning, i got 8. Still need another 8.

About the external PS, the one to the phono stage has an output of 18V and 0.5 amps (500mA)
i am a bit confused about this. my phone charger has 5 times more power, i would have guessed it would need more.

Thx alot for your time again. I will try your suggestions and maybe pop it dead center above the future rack and perhaps get it running tonight.
Cheers
/Sneaky
SneakySquirrel

Post by SneakySquirrel »

dasher wrote: 2020-12-05 21:34 am also 1.80m tall. I don't use a wall shell but a Stands -Unique Tower.The LP12 sits on Paul Surrounds super-tip - an Ikea Bamboo chopping board ! - and a S-U isolation shelf. The total height - to the plinth surface - is 1.02m. This is 20mm below my elbow! This height was not arrived at by accident! PersonallyI really I should also arrange shelving around the room at around 1.5m height

hmm.... I will make a "vib eleminator" today, i can post the result later. Feeling alot of creativity today.
1.02Meters that sounded nice. I measured what height i would feel the most comfortable with my hands manipulating tonearm/disc and the result was 106 consistent by the Cm 3 times in a row from start, so i was sure that was the height i wanted. (The body really is precise) anyway. tonearm at 106 (lifted) makes Rega upper deck at 98cm, i have rather long chimpanzee like arms that are quite handy sometimes.

So i first just put it on 98 cm and dead center between speakers and was disappointed the very second i stepped back to take a look......
20201206_003926.jpg
But i felt a strong force towards the corner of the room, Two exterior walls meet. "Pure" old timber from around 1860
interlocked in a weave like pattern.
So, i moved the Wall mount half its width to the left and raised it some 20 cm.
Behold the visually pleasing improvement.
20201206_010306.jpg
The deck of the Rega now sits at 1155mm above the floor, Tonearm @ 120Cm blz

It sounds really nice. man i have always been a big floor standing speakers kind of guy but recently
i fell in love with smal elegant and nimble speakers that can sing really well.
I would like to recieve tips of such speakers, The 2010ns that i use in the video had a retail price of around 35$
around 2007. Weight 2.5kg - MDF cabinettes on these ones.
Challange to find a speaker with more musical sound for less money then this one.

I got an offer to buy a real nice B77 the other week, man i wish i hadnt uppgraded my system since i have been looking for a mint B77MkII 2Track for a certain time without any luck, then this guy calls. states the facts.
Aluminium spools, about 9 ReVox tapes with alu casing and fully served and fixed til mint condition.
price?? 7500Sek Nooo, Not now! haha.

I mean i just got another M2100/1 - Helix speakers - Wall mount - Kaber speakers - cables/skeets
and a new soldering station inc som tools for electrical work... no please not now man!
Well if i am lucky it will still be there when i can afford it.

Here is a link to the rega in new mount playing some dire straits
https://imgur.com/a/eJv7rpZ

Thx alot for the tips and insights on how to run cables i will make a nicer work with the final rigg.
Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dasher

Post by dasher »

One speaker option would be to have wall mounted Katans. I have mine mounted in this way - they are are the rear speakers in the 5.1 surround system though. As with the positioning of a turntable, wall mounting the speakers vastly reduces the options for tuning their final position. If you are placing them on shelves then Linn Kans are still very difficult to dismiss as an option. (I personally prefer the Katans -but they are a very different speaker).

Be very wary of 'mint' B77 offers - they are all over 40 years old now. Today, I would only buy one that was fully restored from the chassis up - every single functional part is a potential failure. But when they are finally 'right' then wow - material recorded and played back at 15ips can be simply stunning (although it can get expensive at 40Euros a reel- and consequently I use 7.5ipsasthe norm and 15ipsfor the 'special' stuff).
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Sounds pretty good. It will be interesting to see how it all ends up.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
SneakySquirrel

Post by SneakySquirrel »

Update on the system.... well.. a complete do-over :)
20201224_145736.jpg
Only thing left is to move entire rigg to the other wall.... but there is stuff in the way...
have som pics for inspiration. :)

It seems i would need more Black interconnects.

Also, any thoughts on speaker cable?
should i go with
k20?
or k200? overkill??

"The Man Cave Rigg"
20201224_145723.jpg
Source - Rega Planar 1 / Unidisk SC
Pre amp - UniDisk SC
Aktiv - Linn Aktiv Kaber box.... lots of interconnect
Amp - Dynamik Majik 2100 (Midrange) - Tips/Thaughts on this is appreciated
Amp - Majik 4100 Tweeter/Bass
Speakers - Linn Kaber (made aktiv today 2020-12-24 08:40 GMT/UTC+0)

The rigg was successfully tested at 11:00 today Christmas eve and i got my gift a bit early :P
The punch in these Kabers are totally different then the Aktiv M140 in the livingroom.
Its so violent, but still controlled i really like it.
Its like the entire soul starts moving with the music, yes more.... enough cables though......
20201224_101747.jpg

Here are 2 Videos demonstrating the rigg.... its really wierd how good a telephones mic pics up the sound....(for what it is)i guess with little distortion it makes it easier for the mic to focus on the music.
https://imgur.com/gallery/tw9Fe7n

And... yeah, this is what M140 full aktiv majik can accomplish... its not loud, its enthusiastic. :) measurement about 2.5 meters away from speakers.
https://imgur.com/a/S7upURV

Cheers and happy holidays.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

SneakySquirrel wrote: 2020-12-24 16:22 Also, any thoughts on speaker cable? should i go with k20?or k200? overkill??
K600!!!
SneakySquirrel

Post by SneakySquirrel »

Tendaberry wrote: 2020-12-24 19:08
SneakySquirrel wrote: 2020-12-24 16:22 Also, any thoughts on speaker cable? should i go with k20?or k200? overkill??
K600!!!
Hmmm 🤔 yeah... maybe a bit bulky to handle... what about 2 k400 but 1 split in 2??
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

That would work too, but K600 split would be cheaper
dasher

Post by dasher »

I use K440 and split K400 tri-aktiv for the Keilidhs. It works well be very very careful to count that you have all of your fingers after cutting!!!