Speakers you owned

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Looking at a couple of the recent posts it occurred to me that the list of speakers I have owned which I posted only included those used in my main stereo system. However, over the time from the mid-1980s onward I also have owned a fair number of additional speakers as part of home theaters and small bedroom or office systems.

While I won't go searching the internet for photos of all these speakers as they have been in secondary systems, I figured I should at least list them.

Warfedale Diamond (original)
Heybrook HB1
Radio Shack Optimus 7
JPW P1
Linn Index
Linn Kan
Linn SARA
Meridian M3

The Linn Kans were used in a bedroom system with a Classik T for a while. It was rarely used as we found we'd rather turn on the system in the living room and listen to it from a distance! :) The first five on the list were all used in various AV systems over the years with better speakers in the front moving the next one down to the rear. An example: when I bought the Index speakers the JPWs moved to the rear. This has continued to this day with my 1988 Isobariks going to the front of the home theater when I bought the ATCs and the SARAs moving to the rear replacing the Indexes (Indices? :wink: ). However, the SARAs are very soon to be replaced by another pair of Isobariks so I will have Bricks all around! I still have the Index speakers but suppose it is about time to make them and the SARAs go away.

The Meridian M3s I ended up with as I was able to buy them for next to nothing. The owner was upgrading and the M3s weren't working properly so I was able to get them cheap and fix them. They are in the office connected to my computer and they perform quite admirably there. As they are a fairly nice compact active speaker they handle the task assigned quite well.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

ThomasOK wrote:.

The Meridian M3s I ended up with as I was able to buy them for next to nothing. The owner was upgrading and the M3s weren't working properly so I was able to get them cheap and fix them. They are in the office connected to my computer and they perform quite admirably there. As they are a fairly nice compact active speaker they handle the task assigned quite well.
Hi Thomas
I remember taking my M2s wired directly into a Sony professional walkman to an outdoor garden party, I have never heard them sound so good!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

My first speaker’s were a pair of home made Kef kit 3’s, which used the B139’s and B110’s as used in the Isobark’s (well almost). Does that count as a “nearly Linn ‘speaker”? - no, I don’t think so either!

Next up was a pair of Castle Kendal II’s - they were “awarded” Best Buy status in HiFi Choice in the late 70’s, don’t you know. Ooooo!

It was when I was looking for a replacement for the Kendal’s (because everything was tonally accurate(ish), but the system refused to play music in a way I found enjoyable). When I couldn’t find anything that gave me what I was looking for, my dealer suggested I listen to an LP12. “How much”? was my first response! One listen made me realise in which direction I needed to go - but that’s another story!

With a decent source (LP12/Ittok/Asak), I was then able to start my ‘speaker search again, which resulted in a pair of Kan I’s. These were followed by another two pair’s of Kan I’s, as and when they were re-designed by Linn.

I always fancied a bit more bass, and didn’t like the Kan II’s, so the Kan I’s made way for a pair of Isobarik’s (with the external crossover’s). These were great, but a bit big, so they eventually made way for a pair of active Kaber’s with Klout’s (big mistake!).

I then dabbled with a pair of AV5140”s - don’t ask! - and because I didn’t like any of the newer Linn designs at the time (except for the Katan’s), I’ve been using Shahinian Obelisk’s for about the last 10 year’s (the longest I’ve ever owned any ‘speaker).

I recently heard a pair of Majik 140’s which reminded me what “pitch accurate” reproduction is all about, and how much I miss Linn’s approach to musicality. I’m taking my Obelisk’s to compare at the end of the month, and fully expect to be placing an order. The Ob's have served me well, but they are a 40 year old design, which I think is being highlighted by Linn's brilliant new MF/HF array's.

Incidentally, I recently checked out the ATC 100’s (active), since they are not much more expensive than my Akurate 2200/Obelisk combination. Despite them receiving high praise, particularly with a Linn front end, I really couldn’t get on with them. To me, they completely lacked any tune playing ability, or any sense of rhythm. I didn’t like the sound either - they sounded like a pair of Sara’s I once heard which used a graphic equaliser to iron out the frequency response - flat, tonally and flat, musically! For such a big (and fugly) ‘speaker, the bass extension was poor - I can see why they are often used with sub-woofer’s. The bass quality was poor too - the port seemed to be producing a slight “one note” effect in the lower register’s, although the upper bass was reasonably clean, but still not what I would describe as tuneful. Totally at odds with what’s sometimes said, I know, but I’ve heard the ATC 40’s (active and passive), an old pair of 20's and a smaller pair of ATC’s (? SMC 19, I can't remember the name). I didn’t think that any of them could carry a tune - maybe I just don’t like the ATC “house sound”.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

anthony wrote:

Hi Thomas
I remember taking my M2s wired directly into a Sony professional walkman to an outdoor garden party, I have never heard them sound so good!
The Sony Pro Walkman was quite the cassette deck. I still own one although it hasn't seen much use in years. I compared it to a few different Nakamichis (including a Dragon) and one of the better Tandbergs and found the Sony more musical. Pretty amazing for such a compact piece.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

ThomasOK wrote:
anthony wrote:

Hi Thomas
The Sony Pro Walkman was quite the cassette deck. I still own one although it hasn't seen much use in years. I compared it to a few different Nakamichis (including a Dragon) and one of the better Tandbergs and found the Sony more musical. Pretty amazing for such a compact piece.
I found it interesting they sound better in an outdoor environment, probably designed in a anechoic chamber.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Speakers you owned

Post by Music Lover »

Anyone that like to post updates on this LOVELY thread, it would be highly appreciated :)
An update from me is coming within a day or so.
It's all about musical understanding!
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

Music Lover wrote:Anyone that like to post updates on this LOVELY thread, it would be highly appreciated :)
An update from me is coming within a day or so.
ML - I'm surely not alone in saying that your thoughts on the Tundra Mono2s would be read with avid interest.
[In the relevant thread, of course]
LP12_Radikal/2_Keel_Karousel_Ittok III_Akiva. Ak Tuner. UDP-205. Kontrol/2. Solo_Ak 212. 2250_Ak 225
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

will do!

ok then a short speaker update.
After Komri (huge mistake selling) I owned and tested Sara9 (perfect condition but sounded tired), Komponent 120 (SOOOO tuneful but without bass and dynamics), M140 (rock&roll but not as good as 3karray-speakers) and currently I have 242 mkI's. Quite good.
Tempted to try Bricks. Best looking speaker I know. Would be interesting to check what they can do with good input signal.
Anyone that actually tried?
It's all about musical understanding!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have not tried them in a really controlled way so take this with a grain of salt. However, one of my customers purchased a pair of used Isobariks of the final version (monolithic crossovers in the stands) from us a while back. While they were here another customer who has Artikulat 350s asked me how the Isobariks would sound with the Tundra Monos. I said I didn't know but would try them when given a chance. The day the purchaser was coming in to pick up the Isobariks our biggest room didn't have any speakers in it but the Tundra Monos were out on loan. I went ahead and brought the Isobariks in and set them up in the room and thought "well, it probably won't drive them but I might as well hook up the Tundra 1.2. When I did so I had to pick up my jaw from the floor - it not only drove them it drove them quite well and was really musical. I had to go run an errand but when I came back the customer was here to pick them up. He had noticed they were playing and asked that they be left hooked up so he could listen. He was quite impressed. While I was gone the Tundra Monos had been returned so I asked him if he'd like to hear them with the Monos. He said definitely so I hooked them up. Even cold we were both flabbergasted - they were enormously musical, engaging and fun (this was with an LP12SE setup with DV XX2 Mk2 cartridge through KK/1 - before Sagatun). I said that I thought this might be the best I have ever heard Isobariks and he replied that he was sure it was the best he had ever heard them.

These comments becoming more interesting when you are aware of both our histories. I have owned Isobariks from 1980 until the present. The pair I bought new in 1988 (the penultimate version) I ran Aktiv for about a decade, first with four LK280/SPARKS and later with three 2250s. This was up until I moved them to my home theater and put the big ATCs in my main room about 8 years ago. The customer had previously worked with our owner at another store in the area that was a Linn, Rega, NAD, etc. dealer before they closed their doors. He stated that he had installed several Aktiv Isobarik systems and none had been as musical as these with the Tundra Monos. So it would certainly be something worth checking out. As familiar as I am with Isobariks I was honestly surprised at how much I was enjoying this setup.

So far I have resisted the temptation to connect the fully-loaded LP12/full Lejonklou Monos setup to the Isobariks I have home, not the least reason being the hassle of either hauling the Isobariks upstairs or hauling a bunch of equipment downstairs. But with the Tundra Mono 2s coming very soon the temptation may be overwhelming! If I do I'll let you know.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I've never heard Isobariks. What is it they do so well?

ML, if the Sara9's sounded tired, then what will stop Isobariks sounding the same? Can you get much younger briks than Isobariks? They are not going to better your previous Komri's though, are they?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Music Lover wrote:Komponent 120 (SOOOO tuneful but without bass and dynamics)
The 120s (did you mean 110s?) must weigh a ton if they are all-metal like the 104s.

I tried my K104s again no long ago (just for a change). They are much more revealing and on some up-tempo tracks initially seem more exciting, but after a while I realise (again) that I'm not enjoying music quite so much and the 140s make it easier to follow the music.
Lemmy

Post by Lemmy »

Music Lover wrote: After Komri (huge mistake selling)
You know they're up for sale again on the swedish linn forum, right?
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Charlie1 wrote:I've never heard Isobariks. What is it they do so well?

ML, if the Sara9's sounded tired, then what will stop Isobariks sounding the same? Can you get much younger briks than Isobariks? They are not going to better your previous Komri's though, are they?
They SLAM, big style. When run by enough amplification they're fast and loud. I've heard a friends pair with six 2200's and they're awesome. I've not heard komri, but I I bet it's a pretty close run thing.
I certainly wouldn't expect a single tundra to run a pair but Thomas has tried it and heard it, and I expect he thought the same.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Ozzzy189 wrote:They SLAM, big style. When run by enough amplification they're fast and loud. I've heard a friends pair with six 2200's and they're awesome. I've not heard komri, but I I bet it's a pretty close run thing.
I certainly wouldn't expect a single tundra to run a pair but Thomas has tried it and heard it, and I expect he thought the same.
Thanks Ozzzy. I'd like to hear them one day.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I'm going up to see my mate who has them, you're welcome to pop up. It's like being kicked in the chest by a mule when they're turned up and the drums start banging. I love em.
If you fancy a trip up just message me.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.