Snatex's System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

snatex

Snatex's System

Post by snatex »

Speakers: Activ Ninkas, 10.25 Subs (Akurate 226 and Sizmik), Trikan center, 5110 rears
Amplification: (2) AV5125
Pre-amp: Kisto
Surround Processor: Emotiva mc700 (running analog by channel to Kisto)
Digital Source: Majik DS
Analog Source: Micro Seiki DD35 (LP12 on the way!)
Phono Stage: Uphorik
Power: PS Audio P5 Powerplant

Wanted to get some thoughts on speaker placement. I know Ninkas are typically much closer to rear wall (4"-12" per manual). I moved them out further (~29") so the equipment furniture was not between them. I was also concerned about reflections in the left corner by the LP storage and also thought having the turntable further behind the speakers was probably a good thing. Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by snatex on 2020-05-08 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
LP12 / Entity / Sagatun Monos / Tundra Monos / Harbeth M30.1 / Rythmik E22's
snatex

Re: Snatex's System

Post by snatex »

Another view
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
snatex

Post by snatex »

side view
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I wouldn't worry that much about reflections and theory. Just try moving them sytematically, 29" sounds like a lot. I think I had mine something like 25-26 cm (10") from the rear wall, but every room is different. I would also try moving the subs out of the corners.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

You can also try this procedure, as option ...

I (and as well other members of this forum) try it and it works perfectly. You will be surprise how much more music you will have from your system with using this method.

https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtop ... ion#p39464

Enjoy ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-05-08 12:18 You can also try this procedure, as option ...

I (and as well other members of this forum) try it and it works perfectly. You will be surprise how much more music you will have from your system with using this method.

Enjoy ...
That's the link that I wanted to post, but couldn't find :-)
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I missed Fredrik’s guide the first time round, but it really is excellent, and the only way to set up a pair of speakres for maximum musical enjoyment.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

I also need it from time to time and ...

As an idea ... it will be good if possible to "pin" it, in the Topics, in the Categories ...

Also can be "pinned" various other issues as Torques of TT, cartridges, loudspeakers ...

Of course if Huston agree ...

That can be nice "data base" made on basis on Tune Method ...
Music First ...
Vlado
snatex

Post by snatex »

I added an LP12 and some sub platforms this year.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

A full entertainment system! Nice and with dog! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

And the dog goes well with the carpet ;-)
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tendaberry wrote: 2021-02-19 11:59 And the dog goes well with the carpet ;-)
+1 and the dog probably loves listening to music too!

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
snatex

Post by snatex »

New additions:

Sagatun Mono
Tundra Mono
Rythmik E22 Subs
2.48m K400 terminated by Thomas

Will share some impressions soon….

sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Hi Snatex,

Thanks for the pictures, details and evolution of your system.

Looks like Emotiva and Kinos have been replace by AK/0 too?

I also have a PS Audio PowerPlant - which components do you plug into this device? I found it works well with my sources (Melco, AEDSM and Exaktboxes) but not on the power amps (previously Akurate/D, now Tundra Stereo 2.5s). What are your findings please?
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
snatex

Post by snatex »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2021-05-25 10:24 Hi Snatex,

Thanks for the pictures, details and evolution of your system.

Looks like Emotiva and Kinos have been replace by AK/0 too?

I also have a PS Audio PowerPlant - which components do you plug into this device? I found it works well with my sources (Melco, AEDSM and Exaktboxes) but not on the power amps (previously Akurate/D, now Tundra Stereo 2.5s). What are your findings please?
Emotiva is still there. It just moved to the top right space. I rearranged the layout when I got the Sagutan and Tundra monos. The Kisto was replaced by the Sagatun Monos. On the top left is my Majik DS/0 not an AK/0.

I have all my hifi components plugged into the PS Audio Powerplant. We have occasional brownouts and I prefer to have a stable source and some protection for my devices. Power regeneration as opposed to power conditioning seems to make sense, especially when you live in a place with inconsistent power.

As to my impressions, I have been holding off until all my tune dem and setup work was complete. I am getting close so I will share some thoughts....

So these big changes were triggered when one of my Linn subs quit working on me. A friend helped me sell my other working Linn sub to a guy he knew and just by chance he also wanted to buy my AV5125 with bi Aktiv Ninka cards. In exploring potential amp upgrades, I came across a Dynamik c6100 with tri Aktiv Ninka cards. So I sold my sub and AV5125 and picked up the c6100. I found the tri aktiv c6100 to have more bass, perhaps a little more speed, but to be less tuneful in my room than the AV5125. Just a week later a pair of current spec Tundra Monos in the US went up on the board here and I decided to give those a shot to see how they compared. It did not take very long to hear how much better the passive Tundra Monos were in my system. They immediately put a smile on my face, had my foot tapping and I couldn't wait to put on all my records to see how good each would sound. Record after record the monos did not disappoint. After about a week or two, I decided to hook the c6100 up one last time just to make sure I was making the right decision. It did not take very long to confirm my decision. I sold the c6100.

Because of how good the Tundra Monos were, my interest in replacing the Kisto with Lejonklou preamplifier increased. I was very pleasantly surprised to learn that you could use input 4 on the Sagtuns in HT Bypass/Unity Gain mode and that replacing the Kisto would not only potentially improve its performance but also simplify my setup. I was able to source a current spec pair of Sagatun Monos from an overseas member on the board and had it shipped over. The nice thing about the Sagutuns is they don't need a power conversion to use in the US. I just needed to order US power cords from Thomas. I also sent him a pair of K400 that I picked up in the c6100 deal to have him split and trim to 2.48m and add Linn Knekt banana plugs.

The Sagatun Monos took the performance to another level. It is incredible how much better my system sounds. The music is so much more engaging. The timing, speed, nuance, textures, and spacing are all greatly improved. The background is black and voices and instruments just sound natural and right. When the musical passages got busy in the Aktiv system things could sometimes go off the tracks. The Lejonklou system seems to delicately balance all the components in each song with a masterful touch.

I have the LP12 in the single source inputs of the Sagutan Monos and I have to say it is incredibly fun to ceremoniously flip the switches on the back of the monos before putting on a record. It is like ok, now we are entering a special mode and we mean business! :)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Very nice to read your impressions, Snatex!
HarryOgden

Post by HarryOgden »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-05-08 12:18 You can also try this procedure, as option ...

Enjoy ...
Ohh. Nice!! Thx you for sharing, really best of the best!
snatex

Post by snatex »

Bought a pair of Harbeth 30.1’s as a possible upgrade on my Ninkas. I have bought several other speakers over the years as possible upgrades and none have impressed me enough to unseat my Ninkas. The Harbeths definitely express more detail and nuance in vocals and instruments. The Harbeths are very accurate and have a great tone. On the Harbeths the musicians seem to play and sing better. They seem to be a very good match with the Lejonklou Sagatun and Tundra Monos. The Ninkas are a bit more open and also have a more visceral bass which can really drive PRAT and musical enjoyment. I’ve also had the Ninkas for a long time so that is what I’m used to. The Harbeths are really growing on me though. The things that they do well are intoxicating.