Now I have as main source :
KDS ,
NAS Qnap Pro 409 2TB loaded with Master Studio Classical selection
Secondary source :
LP12 Ittok Adikt , Lingo , Kinki 2
Volume Control : Kikkin
Amp: Majik 6100 Aktiv
Speakers :Majik 109's Aktiv
Stand: Quadraspire Acrylic (one with oval holes)
Quadraspire skeets for the speaker stands

The whole system sounds fantastic. I love the simplicity of the KDS
Very very pleased with the service from The House of Linn
Starman
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Congratulations!!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Great system.
Is the Studio Master Classical selection as good as the samples om Linn homepage indicate?
Consider bying it.
It's all about musical understanding!
Starman

Re Master Copy Classical

Post by Starman »

Hi,
Yes they are
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Thanks for the confirmation.
I have 30+ Linn SACD's and they are truly great...
It's all about musical understanding!
Starman

Post by Starman »

I had the mastercopies pre installed on the QNAP , would have liked some of the others ,but it was the choice of either the Classical ,or the Jazz,or the whole lot,which would have been too expensive and I prefer RnB and some of the celtic stuff as opposed to Jazz
But the DS system is amazing
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

It sounds like quite a nice system. Although I have to admit I do cringe a bit when I read the LP12 listed as a "Secondary source". :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

How are you getting on with the 6100/aktiv 109s Starman? Not knowing what speakers you had before - are you missing the bass and bigger sound of larger ones? Did you compare aktiv to passive 109s? I have C6100/aktiv Ninkas hence my curiosity.
Starman

Post by Starman »

ThomasOK wrote:It sounds like quite a nice system. Although I have to admit I do cringe a bit when I read the LP12 listed as a "Secondary source". :)
I was on the verge of buying a demo LP12SE with Lingo and Linto and selling my older LP12,but after discussion with my wife ,I decided it woud be better to go for the best source on DS and then I can still upgrade the LP12 as and when. It still sounds good
Having listened to the new updates on the LP12 ,they take vinyl to a new level.My collection is about 40 LP's so this swayed my decision
Starman

Post by Starman »

Charlie1 wrote:How are you getting on with the 6100/aktiv 109s Starman? Not knowing what speakers you had before - are you missing the bass and bigger sound of larger ones? Did you compare aktiv to passive 109s? I have C6100/aktiv Ninkas hence my curiosity.
I had passive kabers . Which I gave to my daughter with LK280 and CD/Dac,and Kairn pre amp.

The kabers were superb , but the 109's aktiv are okay.
When being set up ,we tried in different positions.
The room has a bay window and a sofa in the bay so the speakers are either side of this and sound will travel down the room and into the dining area and the kitchen
If one moved them back to the window,the tune went dull,and the bass took over.Where they are now ,we get more bass ,but everything seems in context.
I did demo the 109's in passive against katans and the 109's were better.
I can have the kabers back if I wanted to .It would be nice to dem tune them against the 109's ,but what would be needed to do this in aktiv
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Starman wrote:I can have the kabers back if I wanted to .It would be nice to dem tune them against the 109's ,but what would be needed to do this in aktiv
The kabers are 3-way aktiv, so you would be able to drive them with your 6100 if you get the right Aktiv cards (which are available from Linn for the Majik amps). However, the Kabers would need to be converted to Aktiv mode, which is an hour or so's labour by your dealer to unsolder the connections on the crossovers.

It would be interesting to compare the two. Kabers used to be Linn's mid-range speaker (between the Keilidh and the Keltik) but I suspect that they'd be beaten in Tune Dem by the 140's at least, and soundly beaten by 242s. Against 109s, I'm not so sure.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack