Defender‘s system

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Defender‘s system

Post by Defender »

I think its time to introduce you to my system.

I grew up with a family where music was always a part of life. My grandpa was a pianist and my father played guitar.
My fathers system incorporated a turntable (at that time build into a sideboard/cupboard) a 4 track reel to reel tape recorder and self made 2way loudspeakers.

When I had my first job and the German reunion gave access to fulfill some wishes one of those was a motor bike and the other a hifi system. That was in the beginning of the 90‘s and I decided to go with the supposed to be better digital format.
My first system was a complete JVC system which also included a 3head tape recorder as well as a JVC CD Player and 3way loudspeakers from a German company HECO which I selected after visiting a lot of hifi stores (they are still running at a friends house and I am still impressed when I hear them).

During study I meet another student who introduced me to more „High End“ stuff and I bought an T+A integrated and T+A Transmission line loudspeakers as well as an Marantz CD10 with the TDA 1541 DAC chip.
Things moved more to the analytic side of things - however I lived for more than 15 years with that system before a long way of trying to compensate for what I was missing started.

Changed loudspeakers for the Burmester I still own. Changed the Integrated to an Electrocompaniet and used an Electrocompaniet DAC 1 with the CD10 as transport. That was a system which made a lot of fun and I still kind of regret to have sold the CD10 and especially the DAC 1 later.

As SACD came up I thought it my be a solution of a problem I have right from the beginning with digital. Some instruments some voices especially womans s- and f- tones create a ringing/distortion in my ears.
So for the the CD10/Electrocompaniet DAC1 came an Esoteric DV-60. This one played CD, SACD and DVD-A it could even upsample CD to SACD.

Than Linn came out with something which was marketed as better than every CD Player - Streaming.
So I bought an Linn Majik DS with Dynamic power supply. Tested in every German newspaper to be better than the best of everything else that spins CD‘s. Oh my - that was the biggest disappointment I ever had in buying hifi. Was sold 6 months later.

Bought an Esoteric X-03SE which I liked for the next 8 years. Also invested into an Passlabs XA 30.5 amp and used the Electrocompaniet Integrated only as a pre-amp.

Than Linn came out with Katalyst for the Akurate in 2018 so I thought I should give it a try as I was always missing the DSD capability in Linns streamers and I thought room correction is “the“ thing.
I bought a used Akurate DS-1 and upgraded it later to an Akurate Katalyst.

Than Linn forums closed in October 2018 - was the best what could happen to me as I was reading and posting more in this forum.

So what is my system now:

LP12/Lingo2/Greenstreet Audio Subchassis/Ekos2/Trampolin2/ArkivB/Linto
Akurate DS3
Sagatun Tarandus Stereo
Pass XA 30.5
Burmester 949MKII

I have the LP12 since Christmas last year since than heard no digital - it spins and spins and is soo much fun.
By the way can the needle run hot if I play to many vinyl(s) (the vinyls one is for Thomas) in one go without a break ;)?
Last edited by Defender on 2020-01-10 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Defender‘s system

Post by Defender »

so one question was left open - why did I ended up changing my system after the Akurate Katalyst upgrade?
It still left this small bit of restlessness this small bit of harshness there and didn't really emotionally drew me into the music.

I remembered the moments when something really touched me while hearing music and although my system made fun those moments have been with a friends system which incorporated a turntable.

Than I was reading one of Fredriks comments that a better system lets you enjoy more music and I was reminded of some discussions I had with a friend where we thought you need different music systems for different music tastes (one for rock, one for classic, one for jazz etc.) to enjoy the respective music. Mmh?

I realised my music taste had shifted in a way that I couldn’t enjoy the music which I enjoyed when I was younger.

My last years have been financially complicated as there was a financial black hole spinning around me which asked for more and more money. However the best of all now ex-wife's is having less gravitational force now.
The first headroom I had went into buying the Akurate DS - than the upgrade to Katalyst almost a year later.
Its impressive what is possible when you really want something ... than most of us are able to find/save the money step by step.

Than I wanted to buy the Sagatun Monos used and had a good offer but in the week of making the final decision I got information about a job restructure in my department which needed me to focus away from music again as I needed to buy a car instead (sorry again to one of the forum members here).

The Sagatun Monos wish became Sagatun Stereo reality as soon I was able to digest the hit.
Sagatun Stereo was bought used even without having a chance to hear it beforehand.
But when you read Thomas‘ comments as well as when you get an understanding how Fredrik develops his products than I simply trusted that I will be nothing but just happy with the decision. I was reading so much in the forum and couldnt even find a commercial interest to sell me into something - so much real honest advice and experience - that it sold me into the philosophy and finally into the product;).

I simply can't believe how the Sagatun Monos can be better than the Stereo as I am really happy with it.
I think many people think they want to buy the Monos but can’t afford it and end up staying with what they have - and missing out.
One thing I have to say to people who use the Monos or the Stereo with an Akurate or a Klimax DS - you probably hear what your source can do but I was even more impressed about the Sagatun Stereo when I got the LP12.

Some small things make a big difference to me with the Sagatun (which I like more the longer I have them):
1. the Single Source only switch - what a clever idea I can be sure to have the best handling for the source signals which is most important to me
2. the chip based volume control including the colors - I use my volume control and was always worried about the degration of the potentiometers in most of other pre amps and I can really „see“ how loud I am playing the music.
3. the design - which actually reminds me of my T+A Integrated (their design was probably inspired by Braun - another audio company which is not in business anymore)

But back to why I finally decided to buy a turntable - digital just left me wanting more (see above). I realized that spending more and more into digital didnt had the outcome I desired.

I got the LP12 used as described above from ebay - all ready to play and with an upgrade path for later.
Said to be perfectly set up - it arrived with being short of a lot of screws I think 12 screws missing on the trampolin alone ;)... not sure if its kind of tuning to have only 3 screws per trampolin feet.
One Trampolin feet fell off - already ripped of the rubber.
So we are not talking about torquing screws so far as there need to be some to torque them.

After a little adjustment - leveling - belt was inside out - this one plays music even with 12 screws short not sure if the name comes from: L inn P lays with 12 screws short.

After reading what I wrote I realize I am really lucky and thankfull for all that.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Thank you for your story Defender.

It is really all about getting to the point where every record/cd/file is enjoyable to listen to.

It is not about maximising the “sound” quality only. It will lead you into the wilderness.

I now have cd/lp replay that makes every cd/lp I own enjoyable and make sense musically.
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Great story Defender! It’s amazing how long it takes us to get to where we want to go, even if the destination is just musical enjoyment, as beck suggests. Also, for some of us, we get there, then for some reason, we head off in another direction, which we often look back upon as a mistake!

Did you ever consider/listen to the Katalyst Klimax DS?
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

beck wrote: 2020-01-06 11:36 Thank you for your story Defender.

It is really all about getting to the point where every record/cd/file is enjoyable to listen to.

It is not about maximising the “sound” quality only. It will lead you into the wilderness.

I now have cd/lp replay that makes every cd/lp I own enjoyable and make sense musically.
thank you for the feedback
... well I am not there yet but certainly at a point where many more records are enjoyable to listen to
I am happy for you that you have managed to do that also for your cd playback.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

My message is simple. It is possible. It might be difficult and take some time and effort but it is possible.
Playing cd’s…………
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Spannko wrote: 2020-01-06 15:12
Did you ever consider/listen to the Katalyst Klimax DS?
I did never listen to the Katalyst Klimax DS but I would if I would have the chance. But would I buy it?

Let me answer this way: I made my decision based on what further option(s) I think it is giving me as well as based on what kind of musical happiness I think I can achieve per Euro/GBP. I think this ratio is better with analog and the best possible outcome too.
I decided to make a clear cut and don't further invest to improve digital. I am not going to sell the Akurate as some music is only available digital. I am still following those discussions and appreciate your efforts in understanding and improving. Lets see maybe there is a way.

Did you ever listen to a Majik LP12 at your home in your system ;) ... you should.
Last edited by Defender on 2020-01-06 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

beck wrote: 2020-01-06 19:09 My message is simple. It is possible. It might be difficult and take some time and effort but it is possible.
I sincerely believe that for the LP part of things.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Defender wrote: 2020-01-06 19:22 Did you ever listen to a Majik LP12 at your home in your system ;) ... you should.
I’m quite familiar with the LP12, but it must be about 10 years since I last had one at home.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Enjoyed reading about your journey Defender! Thanks for sharing.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

A very interesting journey indeed, you have been through some unusual and different equipment. Anybody who has been into Hi-Fi gear for some time has made some missteps, I know I certainly have. But once I found out how important the hierarchy was, and had a solid method of evaluation (the tune method) my systems have kept increasing my musical enjoyment. You are certainly on the right track in getting back into vinyl - there is still something special about it that I have yet to hear the best digital sources deliver.

To answer your question, repeated plays will not overheat your stylus. It does get rather hot at the point of contact while playing but the contact point is so small and the mass of the diamond so low that it dissipates quite quickly. Play to your heart's content!

PS. The plural of record is records. I don't drive my car on rubber, I drive it on tires. I don't eat my dinner on ceramic, I eat it on plates. I could go on but you get the idea.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

thank you for all your comments.
Yes one really needs to experience source first and never forget it.
Yes Tom I also learned that you really need to have a structured approach. We tend to change things and than try the next and another without really being sure if one of the steps was for the better or not. The most attracting technical/vibrational idea that „simply has to sound better“ because there is a simple physical or technical explanation doesn’t necessarily does that in reality.

Spannko: I know you have a KDS and I heard it sounds wonderful but still you should not limit yourself to the experience you made 10 years ago with the LP12. I have no experience how a KDS Katalyst plays against a ADS Katalyst but in my system the ADS doesnt come close to the LP12. Never made such an experience.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

as I am having an Arkiv B and a Linto now I wonder if changing to a new Adikt paired with a Slipsik 7 would set me back in musicality ... hope someone can give insight/opinion
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

Hello, in your latest clips in the playground I believe I notice some kind of homemade feet on your Lack table.

Any more info on that?
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

hi Oscar,

those are Linn Skeets and I bought some spikes from Amazon to screw into wood.
Teufel Satelliten Spikes AC 8544 BA Titan - 15.00Euro

The advantage is you can level your turntable with the Lack table and the spikes.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

Thanks Defender!

I’ve been contemplating a DIY top shelf for my turntable and I’ve been thinking basically a sheet of plywood with spikes onto something like skeets. I have most bits at home really, just need to come across a small bit of wood to be able to try if it works.