Cobra Dave’s system

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Cobra Dave’s system

Post by Spannko »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-12-06 11:52 Akito/AT95 gets my definite vote.
Would you say that the latest Akito’s are better than the latest Ittoks?
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

With streaming I got the biggest bang for my cash with the first Hakai. Next (and I was genuinely shocked) was having a separate server - easy with Snakeoil os. I have two Asus Tinkerboard S models. As part of my forthcoming test clips I'll try to use one Tinker Board as a server and the other as a player. From experience the addition of a Hakai server was a huge upgrade.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Cobra Dave

Post by Cobra Dave »

Christmas came early this year. ;)
I paid deposit yesterday and will get the player in the end of next week if everything goes as planed.

I went for the Akito 3B/AT-VM95E option.

Complete system:
DEMO Majik LP12 (5 year warranty)
Switch, and internal power supply changed to Valhalla (1 year warranty)
NEW Majik LP12 chassis and belt
NEW Akito 3B (5 year warranty)
NEW AT-VM95E
Used Linn RCA interconnect black

I decided to go for the Akito instead of the Ittok, easier to upgrade pickup if needed, instead of changing tonearm.
After reading ThomasOK’s comment about the being equivalent musically I went for looks and peace of mind regarding one being used vintage while the other new never used.
I am confident that the Ittok they offered is in good condition and that it sounds good, and I love the counter weight setting on Ittok. But there are things with Ittok that made me go for Akito instead.
The Akito is a completely new tonearm, and even if it looks a bit simpler than the Ittok in it’s construction I do like that it is black, built in one piece, and I love sandpaper feel of the Akito.

I am super excited, the only “issue” is that the phono box S needs to go and a Lejonklou phono is urgently needed, as soon as I recover from the LP12 purchase cost. X)

Thank you all again for taking time to help out and comment. I never thought that I would buy a LP12 two weeks ago when I presented myself on this amazing forum.
Last edited by Cobra Dave on 2019-12-07 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
LP12/Lingo2/Akito 3B/Adikt3/Gaio 2.4/Boazu 1.1/Harbeth P3ESR XD + REL T5i
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Oh boy, fast decisions here!

I hope you'll be extremely pleased with your LP12, Cobra Dave!
Spannko wrote: 2019-12-07 13:57
lejonklou wrote: 2019-12-06 11:52 Akito/AT95 gets my definite vote.
Would you say that the latest Akito’s are better than the latest Ittoks?
I am not sure as I haven't compared them directly. I have however compared an early Akito (with good bearings) with an early Ittok (with split counterweight) and I preferred the Akito.

Also, when you say latest Ittok's, are you counting the LVIII/2 that was built in Scotland? I suspect that one could be better than all Akito's.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Congratulations, Cobra Dave! I think it is likely you will be ecstatic. Let us know how it all turns out.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Mikkel-DK

Post by Mikkel-DK »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-12-07 23:12 Also, when you say latest Ittok's, are you counting the LVIII/2 that was built in Scotland? I suspect that one could be better than all Akito's.
The latest Ittok LVIII/2 with integrated armrest was built i Japan. I’ve got one of those - great arm especially after I’ve had it rewired with silver Ikeda by J7.

/Mikkel
Last edited by Mikkel-DK on 2019-12-09 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Mikkel-DK wrote: 2019-12-09 21:35
lejonklou wrote: 2019-12-07 23:12 Also, when you say latest Ittok's, are you counting the LVIII/2 that was built in Scotland? I suspect that one could be better than all Akito's.
The latest Ittok LVIII/2 with integrated armrest is built i Japan. I’ve got one of those - great arm especially after I’ve had it rewired with silver Ikeda by J7.
Oh, was it really? Then I stand corrected.

I would never rewire one, though. :)
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

You're the first person I have seen on the forums I am a member of with jern speakers! I recommend my friend Chris hear some. I read about them being made of cast iron and was very intrigued I bet they sound brilliant!
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
stefan

Post by stefan »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-12-07 23:12 .....
Also, when you say latest Ittok's, are you counting the LVIII/2 that was built in Scotland? I suspect that one could be better than all Akito's.
This is many years ago (-93 or so?) I had an Ittok LVII and nearly bought a new LVIII/2. In fact I would have if a used Ekos1 didn’t have turned up. I don’t remember prices but I think the Ekos1 even as used was more expensive than the new Ittok. Anyway, the difference between that Ittok and a new Ekos2 was indeed big and from advice from the dealer (Tonläget) I ended up buying that sh Ekos as he said it would be closer to Ekos2 than to that Ittok so to say. Once the Ekos1 was installed I never looked back thinking I would have gone for that Ittok instead.

LVIII/2 is no doubt the best Ittok ever made but since they made so few it seems to me that it now have received some mythical status. It was good but really not as good as early Ekos. This is of course if both arms are in perfect condition. I understand that many early Ekos had bearing problems and Ittok may have fared better.

Yes, also believe all Ittoks are japanese but not sure.
Cobra Dave

Post by Cobra Dave »

Ozzzy189 wrote: 2019-12-11 22:03 You're the first person I have seen on the forums I am a member of with jern speakers! I recommend my friend Chris hear some. I read about them being made of cast iron and was very intrigued I bet they sound brilliant!
Hello Ozzy,
Coming from Linn Majik 109 I think they are a step up. They sound (and are) heavier, and play bigger. But they take less space in the bookshelf. I have never heard them on speaker stands, but for me who is forced to have them in a bookshelf close to the wall they really sound good enough.
LP12/Lingo2/Akito 3B/Adikt3/Gaio 2.4/Boazu 1.1/Harbeth P3ESR XD + REL T5i