DeQMaster's System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

DeQMaster

DeQMaster's System

Post by DeQMaster »

Hi all

Im an old user of this forum and the now extinct Linn forum, maybe some of you remember me or my posts from a few years ago, buy i highly doubt It ;) I remember many of you and its nice to see familiar names still hanging around

Anyway, been disconnected from music during some years (!) and now Im really enjoying again my good old Keltik system.

If I remember correctly, the goodies i got here are

Renew Klimax DS (original model board)
Audio Research LS26
Klimax tuneboxes
C4200/D
2 x 2250
Keltiks with SEAS midrange

All conected with phono silvers, the 4200/D on mids and tweeters, and one 2250 on each Keltiks Bass. (all with stripped K400)

At some point i had an all Linn system, as my pre was an Exotik (without Dynamik) but a friend lent me his AR LS26 (weekend tryout) and i think its much better than the Exotik, both in tunedem terms, as well as much more detailed and musical, so i got one for myself.

Also did some surgery and put some nice Seas mids on the Keltiks as well as added a pair of Ribbon SuperTweeters. The system, while no perfect, is pretty good as its now and one of the best i have heard but im still thinking on replacing the Ninka tweeters on my Kelts with some model from Hiquphon... As i have no chance to hear the tweeters, i will have to buy a pair of Ow1s in order to try by myself if those indeed make a difference on my system.

You can see a crappy photo by using this link https://subefotos.com/ver/?8919168079ab ... 72cfao.jpg

Regards
Last edited by DeQMaster on 2019-09-06 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
kampak

Re: DeQMaster's System

Post by kampak »

Hell, yeah!
I do remember your system (Ribbontweeter/Photo)
I was highly interested in Keltik Systems the last 15 years, I bought mine round 2004...
Though I was never a friend of Keltiks in the LK era (Klouts/LK100s!) I think they can shine
with newer amps from Linn (I use AV5125s) and ist a shame you need 4 Stereo amps.
I'd love to hear my pair with 4Tundras!
The last years saw me upgrading my Front end, and now I'm very happy with the outcome.
Well, I know better systems, for sure - but its a lot of fun to sit down and listen, me thinx
So: happy to see another Keltik user over here
Hope you have better times/a lot of fun with your rediscoverd Stereo
LG Karsten
Linn-Lejonklou-Kudos
kampak

Post by kampak »

btw, I have SEAS mids, too
...and the OW92 Tweeters, highly recommended!!!
The Hiquphon Tweeters have nearly the same level as the Ninka ones, so they fit in perfectly with only modest tuning on your KlimaxXOs.
With these units I‘m very happy with the delivered top-end-Sound!
Linn-Lejonklou-Kudos
DeQMaster

Post by DeQMaster »

Hi Kampak

Yes, keltik is a interesting speaker by itself. When i heard this babies for the first time, at the place of the original owner, it was like "WOW". Once at home i had terrible headaches to get them singing. Once i got them to that level, every step i have done, the keltiks gave me more and more.

When i bought them the Peerless drivers upgrade was installed, but once i upgraded to the Seas mids i have here, the midrange came to another level, much more detail and lifelike (I dont have the model that many installed in the so called KillerKeltiks, which i dont know if are performing better or worse than mine)

Then i bought a pair of JAS Ribbon SuperTweeters to give a try. They add a bit of realism to some instruments, and a bit of "air" to the whole scene (at the end of the day, from a pair of supertweeters not much more than air should be human noticeable as those are speakers made for Bats :) )

Looking forward to try those Hiquphon OW1.... One have to buy a pair while Hiquphon still produces them in the form that they are now (just put them and adjust the aktiv filter)

Ditto on the amps... To my brain/ears/system/room klouts produce a sound very rounded and effortless, but kind of dark and obscure. When i put my 4200D on Mids and treble, was like if i have had a veil put over the speakers when driven with the klouts. (nevertheless klouts are really GREAT giving life to some Aktiv Espeks a friend of mine has)

Thanks to Mr. WIJI for finding a good 4200D for me, from a reliable previous owner. He also managed to get me a pair of Ninka Tweeters... This guy is simply great! (AFAIK we have not official Linn dealer in Spain anymore).

Regards
DeQMaster

Post by DeQMaster »

kampak wrote: 2019-09-06 11:27 btw, I have SEAS mids, too
...and the OW92 Tweeters, highly recommended!!!
The Hiquphon Tweeters have nearly the same level as the Ninka ones, so they fit in perfectly with only modest tuning on your KlimaxXOs.
With these units I‘m very happy with the delivered top-end-Sound!
Hi

So you have OW92 and not OW1? Since the Linn forum have transcended i cannot check what people put on their so called Killerkeltiks

I guess what the differences are between the two models.

Regards!
kampak

Post by kampak »

Naaah, Sorry for confusion...

I have OW1/92

That is model OW1 with a different faceplate diameter (92mm) to fit perfectly in the Keltiks (and all other Linn LS from that era!)
So: if you order a pair from Mr. Wrønding you have to make clear its for an older Linn Speaker!

Cheers, K
Linn-Lejonklou-Kudos
DeQMaster

Post by DeQMaster »

Hi

I didn´t remember the exact model of midrange unit i had installed on my trusty keltiks back in ¿2011?, so been diggin on them and found that my midrange is actually a Seas w15cy001 and not the one that many install on their Killer Keltiks, the m15ch002.

Mine seems to be a tad less sensitive (86,5 vs 88,5), and the recommended frequency doesn´t go as high (50-3000Hz vs 60-3500Hz), one 8 ohm vs 6 ohm, but i think that is not a problem for the 4200D driving the midrange and treble.

IIRC, 2db passive inline attenuator are to be put on the mids of the KillerKeltiks, right (m15ch002)?

I think i will keep my already installed w15cy001, but have been going round on the idea of the Hiquphon tweeters. I have the so called Ninka tweeters, and i feel its a bit bright at times (sometimes i heard small sibilances), so consequently have the treble gain pot on the klimax crossovers put at the very minimum

IIRC, the OW2(1?) is a tad more sensitive than the Linn bespoke ninka driver, so many with Hiquphon tweeters installed had to down a notch in the gain treble adjustment pot, and i cant do that because of the previously exposed reason.

Kampak, did you have to do that also?

Regards

PS: The vanished Linn forum would be great for this kind of info