My system updated

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

dastrix

My system updated

Post by dastrix »

So this is my system, a system I've been building for a long time but finally feel I have research audiophile nirvana with it. It's not perfect and I have a few more changes up my sleeve but the sound this system makes is incredibly smooth, detailed, powerful and easy to listen to. It has no fatigue.

Recently a friend came around and listened to his favourite tracks in comparison to a ME system (ME 24 and the MK II amps) and he said it just blew it away. His words were "Wow, I'm hearing stuff I've never heard before, this is amazing, I dont need a turntable, just WOW"

Its really a system that is simple and elegant but totally 100% focuses on the sound.

I've put together a video to show you how its used and some photographs, including my in progress accoustic panels.

The system has:

JM Lab Electra BE Speakers on SoundStyle Stands, sand filled
Linn Akurate DS (FLAC Transport)
Linn AV 5103 DTS version (Preamp, weakest link, soon to be replaced with a Klimax Kontrol)

Linn Akurate C2200 (Class D Chakra Power amp, 2 x 200watts)
Nokia N800 Tablet
Linn Silver Interconnects
rubbish speaker cable and power cables
Leia DS
QNAP TS-509 NAS with 5 x 1TB disks in RAID 5
Wireless network

Enjoy!

Video:

(Currently Uploading)

Pictures:

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Hello dastrix,

Although I have never heard the JM Labs speakers it certainly sounds (and looks) like a nice system. And I certainly can't be accused of having any problem with Linn systems with non-Linn speakers. :wink:

I don't know what you are using for speaker and power cables but I would recommend that you don't underestimate the Linn power cables. Despite having listened to a fair number of power cables, some of them quite expensive and well reviewed, I have still found none that sound better than a couple of stock US Linn power cables in my system (and even with other components such as Rega CD players and amps). In the EU I would recommend checking out the Lejonklou cables compared to stock Linn - the one I tried definitely sounded better than the stock UK Linn power cable I compared it to.

If you go to this thread you will find a fair bit of information on power cables for Linn equipment including the results of a fair number of listening tests I conducted on various Linn and non-Linn cables.

http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Good luck with your planned upgrades - the Klimax Kontrol will be a major step forward.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Looks nice, dastrix! No fatigue sound good, but I bet it's still exciting!

I agree with Thomas that you should give other power and speaker cables a try, at least if your current ones are "rubbish". :wink: I think it's rather safe to stay clear of the expensive stuff, good cables don't need to cost a fortune. And what Linn has to offer is really good, at least if the speaker cables are properly terminated (more important than the cable itself).

The Chakra amps are not class D, by the way. Linn don't make any class D amps and I'm not too fond of the technology myself. For subwoofer use they might prove useful once the technology has matured, but for full frequency range I doubt they will reach the highest levels of performance.
dastrix

Post by dastrix »

Thanks guys!

Here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMnWoe-Olt4

I cant use the US/EU Linn power cables, and the stock AU ones are just your standard kettle cords. To be honest, im not too concerned about changing power cords - I think its a bit of snakeoil

Re: Speaker cables, Im found a well priced set of Chord Signature cables.... Mine are rubbish as they are over 10 years old, are bi-wired (my speakers arent biwired) and the connectors look a bit worse for wear :(
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

dastrix wrote:I cant use the US/EU Linn power cables, and the stock AU ones are just your standard kettle cords. To be honest, im not too concerned about changing power cords - I think its a bit of snakeoil
I once advised a friend to buy a second hand Classik movie from ebay. I also advised him to get Lejonklou power cords. When I came home to him with the poer cord he had already connected the Classic with some random "grey" power cord. We listened for a while to the system with the grey coed and I was kind of embraced about how bad it sounded; what kind of advisor was I???). I have to admit that I didn't have much hope when I connected the Lejonklou cord; now way it could compensate for this. But it did :shock: the difference was unbelievably big. If I was in AU, i would consider changing the outputs in the room to European standard if I couldn't get a proper cable for the current outputs. Try it!

Regards
dastrix

Post by dastrix »

Do people think that 0.5meters of cable makes a difference, when all the rubbish before the outlet is unknown??? hmm

I dont buy it :D
JW

Post by JW »

dastrix wrote:I dont buy it :D
No need to buy it without listening. Just give it a try 8)

Quick anecdote on the subject of power cables:
a few months ago I had a demo at my not-so-local hifi shop. I still go there, as I've bought all my serious kit from them, they provide good service, and we've built up a good relationship. It also helps that I'm intimately familiar with their main listening room, having spent a lot of time there.

Anyway, at that point I was trying to decide if I wanted to go with Linn speakers (242) for my next upgrade, or an alternative (Avalon Ascendant). Setup was Akurate CD into Akurate Kontrol with C2200 as power amp.

The power cable supplying the C2200 was in the several hundred euro bracket, and a favourite of the shop for connecting power amps in demos. We started off on the Avalons, and from the first moment something sounded off. Salesman was standing behind me, because he'd just finished setting it all up and hadn't listened properly himself yet (I was ahead of schedule). A bit of tune-demming later the speakers were in the proper location, but there was still something "wrong". So, the super-duper power cable was exchanged for another one (a bit cheaper), and things fell into place.

Just for kicks we swapped that cable back for the original one while listening to the 242s, with the same effect.

YMMV of course, but that 0.5m can make a big difference :)

JW (satisfied owner of 4 Lejonklou Power One cables)

PS: As you can tell from my signature, I liked the 242s better :D
KDSM Organik, KCT, Sonus Faber Olympica Nova III
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

dastrix wrote:Do people think that 0.5meters of cable makes a difference, when all the rubbish before the outlet is unknown???
That is one way of looking at the power cords in your system. Another way of looking at them is that they are the first connection between your product and the power outlet. And the power supplies don't just consume power, they also pollute the mains by emitting signals to the mains.

People who dismiss power cords as snake oil usually haven't looked into what these cables actually do. All the components in your system, dastrix (mentioning your system as this is not always the case), have a connection between signal ground and enclosure. And all the enclosures are connected to eachother and to mains ground through the power cords. In other words, there is a direct connection between your mains and the signal ground!

Just by changing the mains ground connection between the components in your system, you will affect the sound. The neutral and live wires will also affect the sound and there are several ways in which this can be explained.

It's good to be sceptic, but also important to trust your ears even when you don't yet have a theoretical explanation for what's happening. Try a couple of different (cheap) power cords, preferably of different length, and then tell us if there was any difference. If your system is well set up, it shouldn't be a problem.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

It should be pretty obvious that I believe that the power cable can make an important musical difference in a component or system. I just wanted to say that you shouldn't look down on the "standard kettle cords" supplied by Linn for Australia. All the Linn power cords look like basic cheap cords and some are quite similar to those included by HP with their computers. But Linn does specify the plugs for both ends and the construction of the wire used as well. My experience is that the Linn cables are quite good - sometimes the best - so it is best to listen and compare for yourself. You might be shocked to find out how much worse a Linn component will sound with the power cable from your computer substituted for the one that came with it.

As Fredrik stated, it is best to experiment with inexpensive cables as the expensive ones I have listened to have failed to improve on the stock Linn cables. I wouldn't mess around with the fancier cables unless you have a dealer who will lend you them to try.
Music at Home

Post by Music at Home »

Hi Dastrix,

I note with interest that you are using JM Lab Focal loudspeakers. I've recently picked up a pair of Chorus 806V's and they sound astonishingly good. Perhaps lacking a bit of refinement at the frequency extremes (to be expected at the price) but wondefully alive and communicative. I wonder if it's the high sensitivity design that's helping here as the last time I heard something similar to this was a pair Rehdeko speakers about 10 years ago. Maybe it's a French thing (Rehdeko are also French), If so - Vive la France!

Based on what I've heard so far, I wouldn't mind having a listen to the standmount Electras (like yours) or Micro Utopias. Perhaps, <gulp> even the Diablos! Any experience of any of the other JM Labs speakers?
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

dastrix wrote:I cant use the US/EU Linn power cables, and the stock AU ones are just your standard kettle cords.
ThomasOK wrote:I just wanted to say that you shouldn't look down on the "standard kettle cords" supplied by Linn for Australia.
Oups! Maybee I focused to much on the "standard kettle" part of that sentence. If you are using Linn cables you shuold be fine. Try and replace them and see what happens. ;)