Per A's set-up

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Per A

Post by Per A »

Yes. I would like those scm 50 with a Tundra.
Per A

New speaker stands

Post by Per A »

I finally got some stands suitable for the heavy large ATC SCM 20SL which have until now stood on too small Target MR 60. It was not easy to find in my town someone that had stands with large bottom and top plates. The speakers are 24 x 28 centimetres and weigh 23 kilograms and their centre of gravity near to the front making them quite difficult to carry and easy to drop.

Atacama SL 600 has big top plate 22,5 x 22,5 cm.

And they made a big difference giving us more music. Also I found I did not like the SD-material between speaker and stand. It made everything unclear.

Now perhaps a pair of K 400 cables before perhaps trying out the Tundra!
Per A

Post by Per A »

Big improvement this Saturday
I had a Dynamik mounted in my 2250 and got a pair of split K400
It is like the music will not run out of breath from the intros and when more instruments build the song it is easier to continue hearing them. Beautiful.
Per A

Post by Per A »

A month ago I borrowed a pair of 242s and raced them against my dear ATC SCM 20 SL and they struggled and the first evening ATC won but by lunch the next day they lost.
And after deciding on them I got the new stands and now they lifted off.
Very good
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

I'm a little confused by your "them" and "they". Did you feel that the ATC were initially better but after a day that the 242s were better, or have I misunderstood?
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Per A

Post by Per A »

Sorry, I mean I came to prefer the 242s over the ATC the second day and that impression stayed. I still liked very much the way the human voice or a piano sounded with ATC but the Linns convey the orchestra and the the timing and the nerve better. I enjoy music everyday.

I have sold the ATCs now. Tomorrow I hope to listen to 242 with the Akurate Exakt box.
Per A

Re: Per A's set-up

Post by Per A »

Over four years have passed since my latest update.

I jumped on the exakt train and I enjoy it. My Linn Akurate 242 are driven by two AV4125 and one AV2250 in the lower bass. I am thinking of switching the more powerful amp to the super tweeter after reading Fredrik’s advice regarding Majik speakers. As it is a hazzle changing the cables I thought it interesting too hear any comments you have first.
The 2250 is supposedly the better amp and all have Dynamik PS.

🎶
Per A

Post by Per A »

It was a good thing I started thinking because when I looked in the maze of cables between the ten amps and the speakers I saw there was a mixup between the supertweeter and tweeter in the left channel. After correcting this I got a new hi-fi. As it was set up by my dealer it’s been like this for about two years. It is no wonder Linn started incorporating amps with speakers because this is much too complicated and too easy to get it wrong.
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ron The Mon »

Per,
Several decades back I made many changes at the same time to my hi-fi moving everything around improving several components. It wasn't until months later I realized I had the tweeters wired properly in my active Kan system but the mid-bass drivers were reversed (right to left and vice-versa).

The weird thing is it actually made sense I wouldn't notice as the "stereo" image still happened but the channels just reversed at different frequencies. Correcting it was no improvement at all in tune.

For both of us, the best luck was we didn't blow anything up and had great sound all along.

Do not judge an amp by specs or someone elses opinion. Connect it, listen, and decide for yourself.

Make sure it's connected properly. Let us know what you think.

Ron The Mon
Per A

Post by Per A »

Thanks Ron you’re right of course. I am now enjoying a working treble which improved everything that I will wait a while with the test.
Per A

Post by Per A »

Yesterday I switched the 2250 to drive the trebles of my Akurate 242s (not the supertweeters) and the 5125 to the low bass. There was a definite difference. The treble is better controlled and separated between left and right channel. The result is better music I think and I don't miss any bass. I will keep this for a while.
Per A

Post by Per A »

After reading a post by ThomasOK (that I can’t find again) I have experimented and turned off space optimization. After repositioning the Akurates I find them more musical and fun to listen to.

The urge to improve them came from a spontaneous acquisition of a pair of cheap Tannoy System 600 speakers with dual concentric treble and bass/middle woofer. Their treble is very good in fact these small passive cans made the large active Linns blush. That was when I discovered the faulty installation (see above) and began thinking and listening. Now I believe Linn leads again but I am afraid to try.