Fredrik Lejonklous System?

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Rufus McDufus wrote:Oh dear - sorry about the result!
And congratulations to you! :)
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Charlie1 wrote: More than one change at a time will make it harder to evaluate each individual component change.
+1

And to add, be careful trading Keltiks for 109s!
Before doing anything, try 109 in YOUR room. With Tundra or any other capable amp as example 2200/Twin/solo to get a feeling for if you can live with the lack of bass, slam and dynamics.
It's a totally different presentation.

No doubt Tundra/109 going to be more musical, but no sub will ever create the slam and dynamics in a proper full range system like Kelitk.
Not even with a K345 and likely not many 345's either. (haven't tried many myself)
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I agree with ML that you need a home trial. Especially when considering such a radical change in speaker size. I've never experienced that subwoofers can compensate for that. They add something else.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks to Geoff I realise this thread is currently not very accurate, so here's an update:

Main source is my LP12, full spec except for the cartridge being an Adikt
Digital source is none at the moment and I am not allowed to say anything more
Phono stage is a white Slipsik 5.1
Pre amp 1 is a new design that is changing almost daily
Pre amp 2 is a Klimax Kontrol
Power amps are two Tundra Mono's
Speaker cables are two 0.4 m (to filter) and four 2.48 m (to speakers) runs of K200
Loudspeakers are Klångedang T1 - soon upgraded to version 2.01 (ooh, so much looking forward to that!)
Interconnects are some really old original pairs of Linn Silver and one longer pair of Linn Black that I have assembled myself
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I forgot to mention (thank you Charlie1!) that my system stands on a Harmoni rack with one Mimer 3 shelf and three Tor shelves below.

This rack is truly spectacular. Anders who makes and continually improves them has made recordings of an LP12 (and maybe other components as well?) standing on different shelves. Listening to these recordings, even on a laptop with mediocre headphones, is quite an ear opener.

I will soon have my Mimer 3 shelf upgraded to Mimer K, which is the latest, even thinner, machined aluminium shelf with a spruce dampening shelf below. There's an upgrade campaign until the end of 2013 (and then no more), so anyone with Mimer 3 shelves, email me for more info!
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Fredrik,

Thanks for the update.

With only a digital source (and I am not going to question that any further ;-) so no topspec LP12, would you still think such a rack is a worthwhile purchase?
Could a Harmoni rack in any way be compared with a component upgrade?

Would like to read a bit on the upgrade campaign, I didn't spot it on the Tonlaget website.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

mrco99 wrote: Could a Harmoni rack in any way be compared with a component upgrade?
YES!
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

mrco99 wrote:With only a digital source (and I am not going to question that any further ;-) so no topspec LP12, would you still think such a rack is a worthwhile purchase?
Yes, definitely! The difference the rack makes is big, even when using modest gear.
mrco99 wrote:Could a Harmoni rack in any way be compared with a component upgrade?
Yes, I think everyone who owns a Harmoni rack will tell you it's comparable to a major component upgrade. Music Lover and some others (Linnofil?) made comparisons between different combinations of components and shelves. I recall them mentioning that ADS on a Mimer shelf was better than KDS on the floor.
ML, please correct me if I'm mistaken here! I wasn't there at the time.
mrco99 wrote:Would like to read a bit on the upgrade campaign, I didn't spot it on the Tonlaget website.
No, he hasn't written anything. Basically the cost of upgrading one Mimer 3 shelf to a Mimer K is 3900 SEK incl VAT. I currently don't know much more than that.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Fredrik,

Is it possible to use these shelves under a device on a shelf? I'm thinking where it's not possible to use a rack for equipment.

'troll
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Moomintroll wrote:Is it possible to use these shelves under a device on a shelf? I'm thinking where it's not possible to use a rack for equipment.
A while back, Anders who develops them experimented with a stand alone Mimer shelf. I don't think he was entirely happy with the results, as much of the performance apparently depends on the foundation. And with a stand alone shelf, the foundation part becomes uncontrollable.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Fredrik Lejonklous System?

Post by V.A.MKD »

Hi Mr. Lejonklou,
How your system look today?
Last update was long ago and most probably you have some news. Reading here I understand that you have Lab and Living room system ...
Thanks in advance for your answer and all the best,
Vlado
Music First ...
Vlado
snatex

Post by snatex »

I second Vlado's request. Let's hear about how your systems have developed over the last 8 years!
LP12 / Entity / Sagatun Monos / Tundra Monos / Harbeth M30.1 / Rythmik E22's
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I think that I dodged Vlado's question because my systems are constantly changing. I often take prototypes home to evaluate them carefully and at the lab I change things several times a week.

So what I can answer is that at the moment, the two systems consist of the following:

At home:
• LP12 with Cirkus, Keel, Akurate Radikal, Ekos SE/1, original T-kable and Krystal (Adikt on a shelf at the side that I sometimes change to) on a Quadraspire wall shelf.
• SINGularity 001 and 002, currently under test in version 1.3
• Sagatun Mono 003 and 004 in version 1.4
• JBL308 on Linn Katan stands
• Original Linn Silvers from SINGularity to Sagatun Mono and single ended to balanced cable made by various selected parts
• Harmoni rack with Tor shelves for the electronics

At the lab:
• Källa prototype 00B
• Giella Pi 001
• Tundra 001 in version 2.0
• 248 cm split Linn K400 single wire with original Linn Knekt bananas
• Klångedang T1 version 6
• New Linn Silvers from Källa till Giella Pi and lab soldered 1 m Linn Blacks from Giella Pi to Tundra
• Harmoni rack with Tor shelves
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-08-28 20:07 ...
At home:
• LP12
• SINGularity
• Sagatun Mono
• JBL308 on Linn Katan stands

At the lab:
• Källa prototype
• Giella Pi
• Tundra
• Klångedang T1
Interesting home speakers. Is that out of preference or convenience with the Klångedangs at the lab?
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

And what do you think of the new Linn silvers?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-08-29 03:23 Interesting home speakers. Is that out of preference or convenience with the Klångedangs at the lab?
Both are great speakers, although very different. Recently I had their locations reversed, so it depends on what I need to test and where I test it. Power amp tests require the T1's, which are extremely revealing of the incoming signal's qualities.

I long for an extraordinary floorstander. My own project is moving very slowly at the moment, as digital is consuming most of the time and resources.
fatjulio wrote: 2021-08-29 05:22 And what do you think of the new Linn silvers?
My pairs are not version 2. I still haven't heard those live, only in clips.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Thank you Fredrik.
Great 2 systems ...
Home for Top Spec LP12 and SINGularity ... Little ? for JBL's, but perfect for designing / reveling ...
Lab for Kalla (as a best source on the planet Earth), Giella and rest components ...
Thank you again ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Have the JBLs renewed your interest in active speakers Fredrik? I see they’re only £376/pair, which must make them a HiFi super bargain!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Spannko wrote: 2021-08-30 09:37 Have the JBLs renewed your interest in active speakers Fredrik? I see they’re only £376/pair, which must make them a HiFi super bargain!
Maybe they have. I'm agnostic when it comes to aktiv vs passive, whatever performs best gets my vote.

There are some important advantages to using an electronic crossover, positioned before the power amps (what Linn once named 'aktiv'). One is that you are free to use complicated crossover designs and various tricks that would be impossible with a passive filter. Another is that it's low level and thus unaffected by the power flowing out of the power amp. Unfortunately, it also messes with a more delicate signal - one that is earlier in the chain. This makes every fault and imperfection in the aktiv crossover detrimental to the musical qualities. A bad aktiv crossover can really ruin the whole show.

I suspect that the first loudspeaker I release will have an aktiv crossover only. But I doubt it will be 'active' in the sense that the crossover and power amplifiers are all inside the speaker. I can't think of any advantages with that design choice other than reducing the number of shelves needed for the rest of the system. Which of course might be important for some.

My 308's are the first generation, which is the most musical version. As they were discontinued a few years ago (and replaced with the Mk2's), one needs to look for them second hand. So they're cheaper than cheap - my pair cost £200.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-08-29 17:04
I long for an extraordinary floorstander.
Maybe the brand new klångedang k2 dingle?
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-08-30 22:52
Spannko wrote: 2021-08-30 09:37 Have the JBLs renewed your interest in active speakers Fredrik? I see they’re only £376/pair, which must make them a HiFi super bargain!
Maybe they have. I'm agnostic when it comes to aktiv vs passive, whatever performs best gets my vote.

There are some important advantages to using an electronic crossover, positioned before the power amps (what Linn once named 'aktiv'). One is that you are free to use complicated crossover designs and various tricks that would be impossible with a passive filter. Another is that it's low level and thus unaffected by the power flowing out of the power amp. Unfortunately, it also messes with a more delicate signal - one that is earlier in the chain. This makes every fault and imperfection in the aktiv crossover detrimental to the musical qualities. A bad aktiv crossover can really ruin the whole show.

I suspect that the first loudspeaker I release will have an aktiv crossover only. But I doubt it will be 'active' in the sense that the crossover and power amplifiers are all inside the speaker. I can't think of any advantages with that design choice other than reducing the number of shelves needed for the rest of the system. Which of course might be important for some.

My 308's are the first generation, which is the most musical version. As they were discontinued a few years ago (and replaced with the Mk2's), one needs to look for them second hand. So they're cheaper than cheap - my pair cost £200.
Yes, “source first”. Let’s not forget!